Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gastrodon and Quagsire

Default Gastrodon and Quagsire

Even though the awesomeness that has been granted to them this gen, they're still NU. Why? Discuss!
    Claims: Mario, The Big Bang Theory, Victini

Because they have a pretty limited niche role. They wall specific things but don't really do anything back besides spread status and be Ferrothorn's *****. On the right team they're incredible but you can't just throw them on the rooster like you could Latios or Tyranitar.

I agree, they do have limited roles, but imo they still deserve to be OU.

Ice Cold Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dewott View Post
    I agree, they do have limited roles, but imo they still deserve to be OU.
    OU is usage based, so no they won't be OU lol. Not unless usage SPIKES significantly (though Gastrodon usage is definitely rising)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    OU is usage based, so no they won't be OU lol. Not unless usage SPIKES significantly (though Gastrodon usage is definitely rising)
    Ferrothorn can lay that down for you.

Sorry, I had to.

Anyway, I have to agree with BH here. Just because they have a niche does not mean that it is OU. By that logic we should make Farfetch'd OU because it has a niche as being the only effective user of Stick.

I like Gastrodon, in fact he's one of my favourite pokemon to use competetively. He walls amazingly and has a great ability, good typing too, unless your opponent is secretly packing Grass Knot. Overall, I'm surprised he's not OU

[IMG]http://i55.*******.com/ml7634.gif[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/33u5xep.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/2lc41lu.gif[/IMG]

Spoiler:- Credit:

they should be in UU. Quagsire can stall very well and grastodon is awesome on sand teams(i've used one).

Credit goes to Mochi10 for the team pose and trophy

Credit goes to PPL for the life of pokemons

PROTIP GUYS: TIERS ARE BASED ON USAGE STATS

j/s

Agreed. They should be UU. Only problem is that Milotic outclasses both as a UU bulky Water.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

They'll be OU if people use them more. I highly doubt that will happen.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 4339-2697-2470

Gastrodon is a great wall in OU. I stalled out a ferrothorn with stockpile/Recover and burn damage. he is a beast!

New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu47 View Post
    Gastrodon is a great wall in OU. I stalled out a ferrothorn with stockpile/Recover and burn damage. he is a beast!
    If you failed to get a Scald Burn and did not yet get Stockpile boosts, then Ferrothorn could have easily 1/2HKOd.

I've been using both of them in various teams, but to me Gastrodon stands out because it's strong enough to not have to run Toxic on it's set like Quagsire.
    Have a nice day

Black FC: 3911-6974-2268
    -STUNFISK LAUGHS AT YOU!-

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Gastrodon and Quagsire both seem to be very situational Pokemon. They're only usable to wall a certain number of Pokemon, and as Blue Harvest said, all they can really do is inflict status effects. As for their tier, it is all about usage, so if they're both not used much, then they will be NU.

[IMG]http://i55.*******.com/24ni8gz.png[/IMG]
    Dracaena - Giovanni Rank

0647 - 8370 - 0522

OSL GYM LEADER # 8 - FLYING

I believe they have potential to be UU, but not OU quite yet.
    Generic Signature

Why's everyone saying they should be OU? There's about a 2% chance of either of them getting there, the most they can hope for is UU.

I use Gastrodon in OU. It protects well as a special wall. Storm Drain is an awesome ability.
    Generic Signature

I'm fine with them in staying in UU. That means I can use them there XD

Ice Cold Fire

If the tiers weren't based off usage gastro would totally be in OU
    all of you saying its not ou material are retarded, its the best in OU, its better in OU then UU -_-

Gastro is pretty much doomed to be RU for a while, unless it's OU usage really picks up. Like BH said, it has a great niche in OU, but it's somewhat limited. It checks bulky waters and Thundurus, and it makes a good answer to Rain teams, but it's not like it's the only Pokemon that can do that. That said, it won't make UU either. Gastro is actually pretty bad in UU with all the Grass types running around like crazy. The same applies to Quagsire.

Not to say that either are bad. Both are great Pokemon, but unless they have plenty more usage, they will both be RU for a while.

There's a reason they're both NU, you know. Ferrothorn is very common (for good reason) and Ferrothorns tend to carry Power Whip, which means a OHKO on both Gastrodon and Quagsire. If their threats are out of the way, I'm sure they can do very well. However, I'm pretty sure there are pokemon that do their jobs better. I'm not sure about Quagsire, but Storm Drain Gastrodon is probably outclassed by Jellicent, which has superior defensive stats and doubles as a spinblocker.

^ Click this for good times ^

Gelatino's summed it up nicely there. Both are excellent pokemon, but others such as Jellicent do their job better. I still use Gastrodon sometimes, as I'm not that good with Jellicent, and Quagsire just annoys me, even if it is on my own team.
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

Lol, Jellicent doesn't do Gastro's or Quag's jobs well at all. Gastro soaks up hits from many Rain abusers easily on account of it being immune to both Water and Electric type moves. Gastro walls Rotom-W completely, provided it isn't carrying HP Grass. Jellicent dies to all those Electric attacks. Also, Quagsire is used to check set up sweepers with Unaware. Thundurus can't even 2HKO specially defensive Quag with Focus Blast since it's boosts are negated. Many set up sweepers just barrel through Jellicent, and of course it doesn't stand up to Thundurus at all.

Oh, and 900th post. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Lol, Jellicent doesn't do Gastro's or Quag's jobs well at all. Gastro soaks up hits from many Rain abusers easily on account of it being immune to both Water and Electric type moves. Gastro walls Rotom-W completely, provided it isn't carrying HP Grass. Jellicent dies to all those Electric attacks. Also, Quagsire is used to check set up sweepers with Unaware. Thundurus can't even 2HKO specially defensive Quag with Focus Blast since it's boosts are negated. Many set up sweepers just barrel through Jellicent, and of course it doesn't stand up to Thundurus at all.
    True. Quagsire's Unaware (a great ability) does set it apart from the others in a way, but Jellicent's ability to recover from switching into water attacks, cripple phsyical attackers with will-o-wisp and spinblock, makes it more useful in my eyes.
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

They're both used quite a bit in OU. Lol. Kinda strange that they're NU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    What was that Regarde. I couldn't hear you with all of that dick in your mouth.

^Greatest Cosplay Evar^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast