Page 139 of 265 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189239 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 6624

Thread: Soccer Thread

Alex Ferguson to retire at the end of the season. I wonder who they will get to replace him, David Moyes?

Holy crimble, that's a bombshell I was not expecting. In an end of season that is already seeing Guardiola and likely Mourinho to move as well as potentially Moyes and even Wenger, this is going to be a time of change indeed. I've never known a world where Manchester United aren't managed by Ferguson, and boy to they have an act to follow.

Personally I'd bring in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, if not full time manager then at least as assistant. He fills my main criteria which is passion for the club, but he also has experience coaching the United reserves which I would assume include some of the current crop of players, and he brought them the 2009-10 reserve league title. He of course also has been manager of Molde FK in recent years, which is continental experience, and he has done a brilliant job there too, since they had not won a title before his management and since his appointment they've won the Norwegian league twice. So he's got club passion and plenty of pedigree.

It's a very transitional time for managers. To a lesser extent further down the leagues we've had John Still and Kenny Jackett leave Dagenham & Redbridge and Millwall after nine and six years in charge respectively. In a game that is growing ever more hasty to chop and change managers, I wonder if we'll ever see a dynasty like Ferguson's again.

Well that is a surprise. I think everyone knew he was going to retire soon but I was at least expecting next season not this season. He has everything that is needed to be a successful manager, Hunger, adaptability and the will to win and defeat any challenge in his way. I think Mourinho is the only other manger right now that has those qualities. Moyes is said to replace Fergie which makes sense when you see how well he has done at everton on such a small budget. Besides him the only other contender I see is Solskjaer since ever other top manager has either moved to a new club are in the progress of doing so.

One thing I think united should be worried about is a dip in form. They have a dressing room full of players who have either too much ego, too old or just not that good. I'm not having a complete bash at united but when you look at that squad it is amazing with some of the players how far they get in competitions. I think that shows how good fergie is, even with some players not up to the starch he still gets the best out of them.

A most interesting piece of news, that. Definitely one of the most successful coaches, and he created a legacy.

Bet the people at the club are wondering who the heck they're going to get now. :V

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Alex Ferguson was such a great coach, and not to mention he turned Beckham into a superstar.

And it's a bit odd I posted here since I don't follow the soccer much.

Well as a life long united fan, I am truely surprised. Sir alex is what makes United what they are. Arguably the best manager ever to have graced the game, he decides to retire. Like most people on this forum, i have never knew united without him. For the neutral, this will be an entertaining few days but for a fan, it could be a catastrophe. In brief, the wrong decision cannot be made. I would be happy with Moyes, but i cant see him being a long-term solution. He is a good manager and hopefully he could do the impossible and bring united to success in europe in his first year (optimism). Solksjaer could be a possible candidate too. But then theres the special one.... Maybe this is all planned and jose will take over?
    Who knows? But whoever gets the job has a big pair of shoes to fill...
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

I see that David Moyes will be announced as the new United manager tomorrow. Interesting successor considering how similar he and SAF are in terms of bringing young players through and liking attacking football. I think that the one negative to Moyes is his lack of experience in Europe which could possibly impact the finances of the club.

Damn, some weird stuff is going on in the football world :O Ferguson retiring, Casillas benched, Mourinho and Guardiola leaving spain, Ronaldo possibly too... what is going on o.O

Ferguson was such a great coach, I'm stunned he's leaving. I'm not a Man U fan (though it's my favorite team in england), but seeing him leave... :/

Well David Moyes has been now confirmed the new manager of Man Utd on a six year contract. He's got a hell of a job to do to try and continue Fergie's work and it is the most scrutinised managerial job in English football but I think he is the best person to take on the job. He has done great work with Everton even though he's and little finances to work with. Good luck to him and hopefully there won't be any more'Fergie Time' added on in games now!

So yeah David Moyes is taking over from Manchester United after his retirement from the game. (He was manager throughout all my life so yeah 'The Only Talented' Fergie is Manchester United in my mind.) (Also apparently Etihad means United in Arabic so yeah Man City's going to be paying respect to the 2nd Greatest Manchester Club Ever. (First of course being FC United.))
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

On the brink! Come on Wigan!

Post-whistle edit: Great day!
    Last edited by Ninjames; 11th May 2013 at 7:18 PM.

Well done to Wigan for winning the Cup, and sacking Mancini! If they win their next two games their guaranteed survival so it could be a dream season for them

Well, the Portuguese league is being really intense this year

Second to last game, Benfica is first one point ahead of Porto, but they're playing right now (1-1 at the moment). If Benfica wins they'll be champions, if Porto wins they're basically champions... so intense XD

^ I watched that match earlier, what a great goal to settle it for Porto, not only in terms of skill but of course in magnitude too. It's not over yet though, Porto have to travel to Champions League qualified Pacos (congrats to them by the way), a Porto win earlier is what the league needed really to keep the final match day as intense as possible. If Porto draw and Benfica win then interestingly Porto will go a season unbeaten but still not win the league.

Of course I also watched the FA Cup earlier, what a momentous occasion for Wigan of course. And they're not as doomed as I thought, they have Arsenal away and Villa at home, tricky sounding but being a Gunner I'm aware of how capable we are of blowing games we should be winning (and we need to if we are to finish above Spurs, unless Stoke help us out). It of course also depends on Norwich and Newcastle losing, I'd say Norwich could be in big trouble, they have to get something from West Brom tomorrow because their last game is away at Man City, where you wouldn't think they'd be able to get anything, and at the very least you wouldn't want to go there having to. I'm hoping Newcastle secure safety against QPR tomorrow, that way they can sit back and relax in their final game against Arsenal, allowing us to thump them to secure Champions League qualification...here's hoping.

Also congrats to Barcelona for winning their league. The Portuguese, French, Russian and Belgian leagues have yet to be settled, although you'd think PSG would wrap up Ligue 1 either tomorrow or sometime soon.

What a game at Watford, that was crazy ending to a game. Can't believe Leicester let that one slip away. Congrats to Watford though!

There is only one Norwich City! We've been dire in the past few games, yet all of a sudden we can put in this incredible performance. Before the game I kept saying we needed to keep the faith with Hughton if we stayed up as that was his brief and he's done that.

On a side note, I managed to buy an official FA Cup programme today in W H Smiths so I'm happy about that - expensive though (Ł10!)

So Udinese with Special Guest Star Walsall managed to make the Playoff final today by dispatching Leicester, good for them, bad for football.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Emotional day at Old Trafford, the Premier League is going to be a strange place next year. Even moreso if these rumors of Mancini leaving seem to be true which look likely!

Here's a stat for y'all. If Mancini does go then only four of the current Premier League teams will have the same manager as this time two years ago, Arsenal, Stoke, Wigan and Newcastle. And each of those managers have been under pressure at some point this season so their positions are definitely not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    Emotional day at Old Trafford, the Premier League is going to be a strange place next year. Even moreso if these rumors of Mancini leaving seem to be true which look likely!

Here's a stat for y'all. If Mancini does go then only four of the current Premier League teams will have the same manager as this time two years ago, Arsenal, Stoke, Wigan and Newcastle. And each of those managers have been under pressure at some point this season so their positions are definitely not safe.
    It was truly emotional today. Sir Alex said some brilliant things today though, but the most important "Stand by your new manager". I think this is gonna be incredibly important if Moyes is to have a long stay at United. I know a few people who are writing him of to be gone this time next year due to his lack of european exlerience. But we'll see, i think hes a good man for the job.
    As for the FA cup.. YAAASSSS!!! Good on wigan, now lets just let them perform the annual great escape! Bye bye roberto mancini!
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

PSG have become the champions of the Ligue 1. They won 0-1 away in Lyon.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Wow good for Wigan

Best Legendarys.

The original fire starters. please challenge me FC:2108-9433-6376

Quote Originally Posted by PaddysTurtwigFanClub View Post
    It was truly emotional today. Sir Alex said some brilliant things today though, but the most important "Stand by your new manager". I think this is gonna be incredibly important if Moyes is to have a long stay at United. I know a few people who are writing him of to be gone this time next year due to his lack of european exlerience. But we'll see, i think hes a good man for the job.
    As for the FA cup.. YAAASSSS!!! Good on wigan, now lets just let them perform the annual great escape! Bye bye roberto mancini!
    It was an emotional day for Man Utd but I wasn't in a great mood seeing Spurs beat Stoke and Wigan better watch out at the Emirates because that's a must win game for Arsenal in the chase for 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    PSG have become the champions of the Ligue 1. They won 0-1 away in Lyon.
    About time, they didn't get there easy though but it's definitely a start.

I thought that the send off for Ferguson was fantastic and would only be improved if the pundits managed to be quiet for 5 mins. I also thought Everton's tribute to Moyes, Neville and Cahill was very well done.

On a side note, My team (Norwich City) managed to win the FA Youth Cup by beating the current holders Chelsea. For everyone in the country banging on about how we're producing no British talent it is nice to see a team made up of UK nationalities win over a mix of nationalities.

So City finally end the speculation and sack Roberto Mancini. I feel kinda sorry for him a little bit because I thought he deserved one more season to challenge for silverware and redeem himself and the club in the Champions League but I guess not.

Big game for Arsenal tonight against Wigan, it's a must win because of Spurs beating Stoke so there is massive pressure to win. It won't be easy either as we lost this fixture last season and Wigan do have some solid players and some young, up-and-coming ones like McMannaman. We should be able to win but it will be tense though.

A moment of silence for our relegated comrades.

Page 139 of 265 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189239 ... LastLast