Page 124 of 266 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 6645

Thread: Soccer Thread

Hopefully we can secure a Champions League place which looks tricky but definely doable. Reports are that Wenger's will get Ł70 million transfer kitty to play with. Let's hope he uses whatever money he gets and invest in some quality players to change our fortunes around and look forward to secure whatever trophies we can get next season realistically.

The one thing our team needs more than anything is just a good leader. A modern Tony Adams if you will. We can splash cash all we want but if we don't have that, it's pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    The one thing our team needs more than anything is just a good leader. A modern Tony Adams if you will. We can splash cash all we want but if we don't have that, it's pointless.
    I agree with you there, Jack Wilshere looks like a legit leader to me. He runs the midfield and is consistent through out and is an Arsenal man. He makes a big difference in our side and he shows all the qualities to be that person we need. I wouldnt mind a centre back like Adams also to lead us too.

I agree that Jack Wilshere is the beating heart of your current Arsenal side and you really missed him while he was gone, if you could keep him healthy, (perhaps an impossible task,) you can build around him... Just my opinion, as long as we get some points off you, I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

Screw that, I know who I'd want as manager after Wenger! Only Dennis freakin' Bergkamp! Now THAT would be awesome.
    Though unfortunately for you, he's coaching Ajax right now as assistant of Frank de Boer.
    "You need stomping. And I'm a Stomptologist."

"Trust me, any problem comes up, I'll stomp it into next week! I'll Bowserize it!"

"Count Bleck, Floro Sapiens, whatever... Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, and I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!"

Quote Originally Posted by Buuz View Post
    Though unfortunately for you, he's coaching Ajax right now as assistant of Frank de Boer.
    The perfect experience before taking on full time management of the Gunners!

Well, I can dream.

The perfect experience before taking on full time management of the Gunners!

Well, I can dream.
    Same, he's an Arsenal legend and could be a legit option as a replacement for Wenger. He knows the club, fans and brand of football we're all about. Would love to see him appointed sometime, bring in an ex Gunner has his assistant like Overmars or someone. Would be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Raider View Post
    Same, he's an Arsenal legend and could be a legit option as a replacement for Wenger. He knows the club, fans and brand of football we're all about. Would love to see him appointed sometime, bring in an ex Gunner has his assistant like Overmars or someone. Would be sweet!
    Overmars has played for Arsenal?

"Trust me, any problem comes up, I'll stomp it into next week! I'll Bowserize it!"

"Count Bleck, Floro Sapiens, whatever... Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, and I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!"

Quote Originally Posted by Buuz View Post
    Overmars has played for Arsenal?
    I think I remember reading somewhere that Overmars played for Arsenal.

^From 1997-2000 according to The Other Wiki.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Decided to boot up Football Manager 2012 and simulate a season to see what happens, because I enjoy doing that. Interestingly enough, relevant to the topic, Wenger's replacement turned out to be Felix Magath, most recently manager of Wolfsburg and has won a few Bundesligas.

But hardly take that with any sort of realism. This same game file so far has had Wenger win the title with Arsenal before moving to Barcelona to replace Guardiola who went on to manage Spain, Stoke win the FA Cup under Mike Phelan of all people, and England not only winning a penalty shootout in the Euros, but winning THREE IN A ROW culminating in a final victory over Ukraine to win the whole tournament. So yeah.

EDIT: Suppose I should discuss the actual football. So looking through various documents it seems Steaua Bucharest generate some very large attendances, so I can see their game against Chelsea being very close at home. And who knows, at Stamford Bridge the atmosphere is very muted as the game progresses, at least it was when I went to Stamford Bridge earlier in the season. Could be a close game.

Also props to Newcastle, didn't really expect them to get through a tough tie but they did.
    Last edited by The Benmeister; 22nd February 2013 at 3:01 AM.

Even as a rival to them, it's sad to see Ajax lost to Steaua after losing the penalty series. If only Boerrigter scored when he had the chance (near the end of the match), then Ajax would have advanced to the next round. This isn't good for Dutch football. Hopefully our representatives will perform a lot better in the Europe League next season.

Netherlands are one of a bunch of confederations having a bit of a mare this season. Greece are another country that usually produces late finishing teams but this season all their teams have been knocked out also. Ukraine, who usually do relatively well, have had all their Europa League teams knocked out, their European hopes rest on Shakhtar overturning their away goal deficit to Dortmund.

And considering how well Spain did last season, this season they're in real danger of only having one team in Europe come a few weeks time. Meanwhile Germany are doing very well in the CL and Italy are doing generally well across the board.

I am watching a football talkshow right now, and one of the guys at the table just made a hilarious comment about Mario Balotelli, acting all crazy.

"Just think: you're Mario Balotelli. Each week you get 200.000 euro's deposited into your bankaccount. You have three Bentley's parked in front of your house, and you wake up each morning with that hot woman next to you. You would might not think you're God, but you might think you're his brother."

My mate made the rather humorous comparison of Mario Balotelli to Ash's Charizard.

Lol. What did he say? Something about fireworks?

Arsenal won 2-1 against Villa, thank goodness for that. Man Utd also winning again today, look title bound so far.

QPR 0-2 Man Utd. Doing our bit to ensure QPR's relegation.

Good riddance. We got a win off them, unlike today... It was an away game so, meh. Wigan turning it on a little early, and United going for the treble. Good luck to them.
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

Some very odd games in the Football League, not least Bristol City 5-3 Barnsley.

Arsenal manage an unconvincing win, but a win is still a win, we're one point off the Champions League places, and Everton threw away their game against Norwich, so definitely not over for Arsenal yet!

Really looking forward to tomorrow's League Cup final as well.

EDIT: I made a prediction at the beginning of the season that Moyes would leave Everton at the season's end, and there are signs that might hold true.

We drew 0-0, still hopefully the English win today against the Welsh in the English cup. (I still think Bradford should qualify for Europe regardless, considering England is England and Wales isn't.)
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Some very odd games in the Football League, not least Bristol City 5-3 Barnsley.

Arsenal manage an unconvincing win, but a win is still a win, we're one point off the Champions League places, and Everton threw away their game against Norwich, so definitely not over for Arsenal yet!

Really looking forward to tomorrow's League Cup final as well.

EDIT: I made a prediction at the beginning of the season that Moyes would leave Everton at the season's end, and there are signs that might hold true.
    Looks like your prediction might come true after that loss to Norwich.

Chelsea vs Man City today as well as the cup final too!

Quote Originally Posted by Armando Payne View Post
    We drew 0-0, still hopefully the English win today against the Welsh in the English cup. (I still think Bradford should qualify for Europe regardless, considering England is England and Wales isn't.)
    Bradford chairman stated that if they win, they might not want play in Europe as it would cost them money. Doubt it'll be much of an issue as Swansea are favourites and should win today.
    Last edited by Gloryus; 24th February 2013 at 8:01 AM.

Important match in the title race today, in the Netherlands. Feyenoord - PSV. FC Twente lost yesterday so it's getting really interesting in the top of our competition.

It's half-time during the match. PSV leads with 0-1 after Feyenoord's midfielder Clasie made a mistake while trying to pass the ball. One of PSV's strikers picked it up and passed it to Jeremain Lens (Dutch international), who was able to score.
    Last edited by Buuz; 24th February 2013 at 1:22 PM. Reason: Half-time...

I'm assuming a win for France Newcastle and Chelsea to take some points from crumbling City but the big game today is League 2 vs. Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Raider View Post
    Bradford chairman stated that if they win, they might not want play in Europe as it would cost them money. Doubt it'll be much of an issue as Swansea are favourites and should win today.
    So does this mean if Bradford win and refuse Swansea go to Europe? In any case, both have done damn well to get this far but I can't hope but see Bradford win it, (beaten more Premier League teams than QPR this season, I believe...?)

I've never known a team refuse to compete in Europe. It would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for a League Two side, although of course, they'd probably just get knocked out in the third qualifying round.

Page 124 of 266 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224 ... LastLast