Page 167 of 266 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 6645

Thread: Soccer Thread

Sun says, Arsenal set to break club transfer record and make a Ł51m bid for Luis Suarez. Why Wenger? I prefer take Reus or Muriel over Suarez.
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperZekrom View Post
    Sun says, Arsenal set to break club transfer record and make a Ł51m bid for Luis Suarez. Why Wenger? I prefer take Reus or Muriel over Suarez.
    You gotta do what you gotta do. I don't see them getting or making moves for anyone else :/

I've read Liverpool categorically won't sell Suarez to Arsenal, John Henry was personally offended by Arsenal's last offer, and will refuse to do business.

Arsene Wenger must think he needs proven BPL quality, and Suarez is just that.

Taarabt could just turn out to be the signing Fulham don't need. He's guilty of "not putting his shift in", and with their strikeforce already containing Berbatov, I could see it being a hindrance against the bigger teams, where teams in the lower half of the table need to pull together often, to grind out a win or a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain goat View Post
    I've read Liverpool categorically won't sell Suarez to Arsenal, John Henry was personally offended by Arsenal's last offer, and will refuse to do business.

Arsene Wenger must think he needs proven BPL quality, and Suarez is just that.

Taarabt could just turn out to be the signing Fulham don't need. He's guilty of "not putting his shift in", and with their strikeforce already containing Berbatov, I could see it being a hindrance against the bigger teams, where teams in the lower half of the table need to pull together often, to grind out a win or a draw.
    I think it's more of a smokescreen than anything else. Put in big bids for a player you won't get and say at the end of the window "Well we did try to players" rather than actually get players. There are players out there we can get but we already missed out on our targets or players on the move and while there others out there I' don't think clubs will sell so willingly this close to a new season.

Also Taarbt will either be a great signing or a flop. He did well in the Championship that Man united and I think PSG were planning to sign him. He seemed to stop playing so well for QPR in the Prem League when he heard this. He did have his moments in the league but as ToeyJoey said he was good as a big fish in a small pond.
    Last edited by Nightmareisalive; 8th August 2013 at 6:55 PM.

The Arsenal smokescreen is a goof theory, but I seriously believe this year they did try. Unluckily, other foreign clubs managed to shift assets quickly, and then usurp them on many fronts, leaving Wenger to take Suarez as the only proven option up front. I can see a marquee signing at Arsenal still, probably going to be elsewhere on the pitch now, maybe another midfielder, as you've been linked with them all through the window, Bender being a name that springs to mind.

Taarabt basically got kicked out of Harry Redknapp's Tottenham for attitude problems, and similar things have happened at international level. I'm not sure if it's a talent problem, or more likely, a psychological one.

^ Not sure if Leverkusen are willing to lose Bender after selling Carvejal and Schurrle though. I'm fuming that Spuds are in talks with Capoune, I always thought he'd be a steal for Arsenal.

Arsenal has no luck D:

Anyone catch the Madrid v. Chelsea game? I was quite a match.

Quote Originally Posted by dahrue View Post
    Arsenal has no luck D:

Anyone catch the Madrid v. Chelsea game? I was quite a match.
    No how it go?

I know I'll probably come over as a Wenger hater for this but it's not bad luck Wenger just doesn't spend. This summer every one and I mean every one at the club have come out and said we have money to spend (Ł70-100 million), we need world class talent and it up to Wenger to make the decisions on the players we go for. Everyone thought Wenger was finally going to spend big but he changed his mind AGAIN and has decided his squad is good enough and goes for youth. He did this a couple of years back to when it looked like he was going to spend but chickened out in the end. Really we have no excuse for not signing the players we go for except Wenger doesn't like to spend big. It looks like it is going to be a damage control season until Wengers contract runs out and we get a manger in who will spend and is not afraid of the modern game.

Madrid v Chelsea game was cool though. Ronaldo scores 2 goals, a free kick and a header. His free kick was magnificent. Marcelo also scores a decent goal. But the pass from Modric was deadly. Ramires scores a beautiful chip into Casillas' net. Overall it was good match.
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

Ramires's goal deserved so much credit than it was given. He single handily dribbled down the middle and put very nicely place chip straight over one the best keepers. It took a lot of technicality. Even one of my friends who is a big Madrid fan said: "It was absolutely nasty."

Sounds like a real good game no revenge for Mou this time. I heard people complain on fb about Cahill and Terry being poor is that true? Also Hull City have changed there name to Hull City Tiger.The Edyption owner says it will help them stand out compared to other clubs named city. I know its not the worst thing a foreign owner has done to a club but still changing over 100 year tradition just to stand out more sounds really stupid and shows a lack of respect to the clubs history.

^Try being Cardiff. This is going to happen more frequently in football, foreign owners don't care for "tradition" or "history", they care for brands and publicity. Anything that could make their club more likeable as a brand, or heck, any free publicity, they're in for it.

Fenerbahce - Arsenal. I'm going to cut is short. I'm not sure if Fenerbahce can pass this round. If they had last years coach I would bet all my money on Fenerbahce but their new coach didn't quite warm up to this team. But player wise Fenerbahce looks like they have an advantage on paper.

By taking UEFA's personal vendetta against Fenerbahce and them wanting some certain teams in the tournament for revenue I will expecting a lot of referee mistakes.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

^arent Fenerbahce meant to be dealing with the European court of sport or something like that? I heard they couldn't be allowed to play in the group games anyway. It seems Everyone is making sure no matter what happens they won't play in Europe this season. Hopefully Arsenal win the tie anyway. It will be a great way to build up a winning start and have good form for the new season. If are defense is like the one we had at the end of the season I think we'll beat them. Just depends now on our strike force being up for it

So if Fenerbahce defeats Arsenal but gets booted out of the group stage I'd imagine Arsenal would just take their place.

But what happens if they lose? They go to the Europa League group stage but then if they get booted out of that, who replaces them? Not to mention if Besiktas go through as well and they get booted out. And Metalist Kharkiv could get kicked out too, so Schalke are in a similar position to Arsenal in that they could lose their tie but end up in the group stage anyway. It's all very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    So if Fenerbahce defeats Arsenal but gets booted out of the group stage I'd imagine Arsenal would just take their place.

But what happens if they lose? They go to the Europa League group stage but then if they get booted out of that, who replaces them? Not to mention if Besiktas go through as well and they get booted out. And Metalist Kharkiv could get kicked out too, so Schalke are in a similar position to Arsenal in that they could lose their tie but end up in the group stage anyway. It's all very confusing.
    Yeah it seems UEFA hasn't thought this out at all. If a team is caught match fixing it should be dealt with before all this happens in the Europeans cups start not now or after when everything can become confused.

An interesting tie also made was PSV vs AC Millian. It will be interesting seeing how that goes.
    Also Celtic got Shakhter Karagandy I see Celtic winning this.

That's the thing. Besiktas and Fenerbahce did not do any match fixing. UEFA can't give any proof which is why they couldn't do something definite about it. Platini has some personal vendetta against us so he is trying to mess our teams up.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    That's the thing. Besiktas and Fenerbahce did not do any match fixing. UEFA can't give any proof which is why they couldn't do something definite about it. Platini has some personal vendetta against us so he is trying to mess our teams up.
    I wonder what would make him have a personal vendetta against your team. In fairness he has a personal vendetta against anything that ins't french or a top top team in Europe that attracts a lot of money (Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real Madrid). Just look at how he hates on English teams and does what he can to curb their spending but ignores when it's happening in his own country (PSG come to mind). I heard the reason Qatar got the world cup was in exchange they would take over PSG.

Someone in Turkey most of said or did something bad to him for him to really hate Turkish teams.

The World Cup is chosen by FIFA, not UEFA, so Platini had little or nothing to do with Qatar.

Of course I still find the Qatar World Cup farce to be atrocious. But that's another story.

The World Cup is chosen by FIFA, not UEFA, so Platini had little or nothing to do with Qatar.

Of course I still find the Qatar World Cup farce to be atrocious. But that's another story.
    I'm not fully sure on that, Platini is meant to replace Blatter as FIFA head so I'm sure they listen to him. He is respected by them after all and his views would carry a lot of weight.... of course if money did change hands then the story would make more sense.
    Last edited by Nightmareisalive; 10th August 2013 at 2:15 AM.

It's easy to go after one scapegoat. Not defending Platini, just pointing out that there are likely loads of other corrupt FIFA board members that we don't even know about and if there was some corruption in the 2022 World Cup bid (and sadly I believe that there was), it was probably more covert and back door than anything to do with Platini, or Blatter for that matter.

Although one thing I can't explain is how allegedly some French players knew they had won the Euro 2016 bid before the voting even took place.

It's easy to go after one scapegoat. Not defending Platini, just pointing out that there are likely loads of other corrupt FIFA board members that we don't even know about and if there was some corruption in the 2022 World Cup bid (and sadly I believe that there was), it was probably more covert and back door than anything to do with Platini, or Blatter for that matter.

Although one thing I can't explain is how allegedly some French players knew they had won the Euro 2016 bid before the voting even took place.
    True a lot of FIFA board members are corrupt and I'm a lot of "favours" were done for them. I heard the owners who bought PSG did so in order to get Plantini on board. He has a big influence and is seen as the man to replace Blatter so who would disagree with him. We seen before what happens to those who take on the boss of FIFA.

I think that speaks for itself about French players knowing before hand. Again who wouldn't vote for France with Plantini in charge. I would see it becoming very uncomfortable for them if they did vote against it.

Like you said, corruption. It's sad that there's still so much corruption in any kind of politics in the modern days.

It does make you wonder how much stuff in football is fixed that we don't even know about.

It does make you wonder how much stuff in football is fixed that we don't even know about.
    Yep, for all we know there might already be a winner for the world cup. The only way this would be acceptable is if they decided who wins what through the simulations in fifa lol they might just pick the teams that go through and do that lol

Page 167 of 266 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217 ... LastLast