Page 28 of 266 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer Thread

Found myself watching Nordsjaelland vs. Horsens just for the hell of it earlier, with Nordsjaelland winning the match, and therefore not only their maiden Danish Superliga title but also a place in the group stage of the Champions League...watch out Chelsea!

Anywho the Euros are very close now, so I thought maybe we could get some sort of Euro 2012 match predictions going on, just for the hell of it, if anyone's interested.

My tip to win the whole thing? I was originally backing Germany, and then France, but honestly, who knows? I'll stick with France and hope I get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    Can't wait till Euro 2012! We got a very hard group though. With Germany, Portugal and Denmark including the country I live in and support the entire group is the top 10 of the fifa world ranking.

After watching the friendly match between Bayern and the Netherlands I was disgusted by how some bayern supporters threathed Robben, almost as if they believe Robben missed that penalty on purpose, and they forget that their beloved schweinie utterly failed the last penalty...
    I'm not Dutch but I also root for Netherlands in every major international tournament. Being Italian though, Italy is my first team and I always have dilemmas who to root for whenever the two teams play against each other. I usually settle down with an "may the best win".

Well yeah those threats were harsh but you have to keep in mind that it was the 2nd cup that they lost because of Robben blowing a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    Anywho the Euros are very close now, so I thought maybe we could get some sort of Euro 2012 match predictions going on, just for the hell of it, if anyone's interested.

My tip to win the whole thing? I was originally backing Germany, and then France, but honestly, who knows? I'll stick with France and hope I get lucky.
    Yeah match predictions like what we did years ago in the previous incarnations of this thread was cool. Unlike you though, I suffer from an irrational hatred for the French national team. As long as they suck and get eliminated early, I consider that tournament to be a personal success, regardless of whatever else happens.

The only other team I like this year is Ukraine, and that's solely because of Shevchenko. I still haven't gotten over the way he left us for Chelsea, but he was my favourite player ever and this being his last chance to do something with Ukraine I'd like the team to make it to the quarterfinals at least.

I usually bet on the smaller teams to win instead of the usual favorites and this time round I can see Croatia go real far and with players like Jelavic, Perisic and Modric they have the quality to make it happen. This team can play and usually do well especially in recent tournaments like at the last Euro's but if not them, then dare I say... England?

What a joke, England won't even make it out the group stage. It's a terrible England squad with so many glaring omissions. Winning the tournament is never going to happen in million years.
    Never try and argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nicole~ View Post
    Well, Spain is going to be missing Villa, which means we may use Torres, Soldado, Pedro, Adrian, Negredo...we have a lot of strikers, but I really wanted Villa! Damn, I hope we can win this!

NOTICE: I DO NOT WANT PORTUGAL TO WIN, RONALDO AND PEPE WINNING ANYTHING WILL JUST...ARRRGG!
    Don't worry we will kick them out for you And after that we can payback Spain and hopefully they don't get a referee who listens to crying spanish players.. *coughIniestacoughXavicough*

Found myself watching Nordsjaelland vs. Horsens just for the hell of it earlier, with Nordsjaelland winning the match, and therefore not only their maiden Danish Superliga title but also a place in the group stage of the Champions League...watch out Chelsea!

Ah that was amazing, I remember ending up really high in the rankings Curse Germany :C they need to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I'm not Dutch but I also root for Netherlands in every major international tournament. Being Italian though, Italy is my first team and I always have dilemmas who to root for whenever the two teams play against each other. I usually settle down with an "may the best win".

Well yeah those threats were harsh but you have to keep in mind that it was the 2nd cup that they lost because of Robben blowing a penalty.

Yeah match predictions like what we did years ago in the previous incarnations of this thread was cool. Unlike you though, I suffer from an irrational hatred for the French national team. As long as they suck and get eliminated early, I consider that tournament to be a personal success, regardless of whatever else happens.

The only other team I like this year is Ukraine, and that's solely because of Shevchenko. I still haven't gotten over the way he left us for Chelsea, but he was my favourite player ever and this being his last chance to do something with Ukraine I'd like the team to make it to the quarterfinals at least.
    Awesome I am always a bit surprised when non-dutch people support the Dutch national team. I dislike the German team with a passion so I know what you mean with irrational hatred :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Raider View Post
    I usually bet on the smaller teams to win instead of the usual favorites and this time round I can see Croatia go real far and with players like Jelavic, Perisic and Modric they have the quality to make it happen. This team can play and usually do well especially in recent tournaments like at the last Euro's but if not them, then dare I say... England?
    I always go for the Netherlands, at world cup thread 2 years ago I predicted we would win 2-1 from brasil out of pure stubborness, everyone called me crazy but I got it right
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

England as a whole is a joke. Don't get me wrong, Premier League is my favorite league and I've followed it for over 10 years, but the national team has always been a disappointment. It's interesting because the English journalists always make it sound like they have one of the best teams in the world, when they don't.
    As for their current squad I thought it was quite reasonable. Chamberlain was surprising, but a very good pick. Otherwise they went with the normal camels that play good in their teams, but rarely when they play for England. They also have Wilshere gone, which might be their best midfielder, so that's a loss for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    England as a whole is a joke. Don't get me wrong, Premier League is my favorite league and I've followed it for over 10 years, but the national team has always been a disappointment. It's interesting because the English journalists always make it sound like they have one of the best teams in the world, when they don't.
    As for their current squad I thought it was quite reasonable. Chamberlain was surprising, but a very good pick. Otherwise they went with the normal camels that play good in their teams, but rarely when they play for England. They also have Wilshere gone, which might be their best midfielder, so that's a loss for sure.
    For us it is the other way arround, our league isn't worth anything, but our national team is one of the best in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Myc View Post
    What a joke, England won't even make it out the group stage. It's a terrible England squad with so many glaring omissions. Winning the tournament is never going to happen in million years.
    I don't think you'll win but might exceed expectations which are quite low these days to be fair. Hodgson may yet work wonders for England and is tactically soild but I completely agree with you about the squad. Ferdinand and Richards out while Downing and Carrol in was laughable.

I always go for the Netherlands, at world cup thread 2 years ago I predicted we would win 2-1 from brasil out of pure stubborness, everyone called me crazy but I got it right
    I like the Netherlands too mainly because I got relatives living there and as an Arsenal fan because RVP is Dutch. Definite contenders to win.

Apart from obviously rooting for Sweden (since it's my country), I would probably say I hold Germany high. Ever since I saw them in the last world cup, their team just has a lot of charm and they play a nice attacking football. Players like Özil, Müller, Podolski is just a joy to watch.

What the hell why does this exist? Are there really that many non-americans on this site?

You do realise that this site isn't American, right?

Anyway, Germany have my vote to win the Euros. They've got the perfect balance of youth and experience in every area

Quote Originally Posted by GonzalesTheySay View Post
    What the hell why does this exist? Are there really that many non-americans on this site?
    I keep wondering why a basketball/baseball/wrestling thread exist but you don't see me complaining about those terrible sports on those threads. It is a suprise I haven't seen that abomanation of a sport called american football on this forums, must mean there aren't as much americans as you believed there would be and besides the guy who made this forum is from britain, so I am not even suprised there are more non-americans then americans here.

Americans should be glad we made the name of this thread non confusing for them, can't say they did the same about american sportcompetitions..
    Last edited by 7 tyranitars; 24th May 2012 at 4:03 PM.

Awesome :D I am always a bit surprised when non-dutch people support the Dutch national team. I dislike the German team with a passion so I know what you mean with irrational hatred :P.
    I think it all started with the '98 World Cup, the first I vividly remember. The Netherlands had such an awesome team back then, Berkgamp (he was my favoruite footballer), Overmars, Van der Saar, Kluivert, F&R De Boer, Cocu, etc. I loved their football and was sad to see them lose. After then they're always gotten worse results than they deserved, they soooo were the best team of Euro 2000. And actually my hatred for France started in the finals of that competition, where we lost to them 2-1 after being ahead the whole game. Stupid Wiltord goal :(

I don't actually hate any of the French players themselves, I hate the team. And I hated Domenech (sp?) so yeah.
    I don't know man they are not the best team ever but I wouldn't call them a joke. To me, they've always been the unluckiest team, I don't remember seeing England win in the penalty shootouts ever, And then there was that ball that was 10 meters inside the net and the referees didn't see...

Chamberlain was surprising, but a very good pick. Otherwise they went with the normal camels that play good in their teams, but rarely when they play for England.
    To be fair players like Gerrard and Ashley Cole play well for England regularly but the Lampards and Rooneys, not so much. Was definitely happy to see the Ox in the squad but let's hope Hodgson doesn't repeat Sven's mistake back in Germany 2006 when he put Walcott in the squad and didn't play him once.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I don't know man they are not the best team ever but I wouldn't call them a joke. To me, they've always been the unluckiest team, I don't remember seeing England win in the penalty shootouts ever, And then there was that ball that was 10 meters inside the net and the referees didn't see...
    The squad is a joke, hardly anyone with any form of technical ability in the team. Hardly any creativity in the squad and the only players in the team that you could really consider world class is Joe Hart and Wayne Rooney (who is suspended for the first two games).

The last time England won on shoot-outs was Euro 96 against Spain who manage to have a worse record than England. The goal that never was, granted that was unfortunate but it doesn't change the fact that during the whole game, before and after that goal Germany were on top and dominating.

Against the likes of any semi decent team England struggle to do anything, and against teams that England are supposedly better than, they still aren't really that convincing.

To be fair players like Gerrard and Ashley Cole play well for England regularly but the Lampards and Rooneys, not so much.
    Gerrard? Really? Gerrard doesn't actually play that well at all for England and hasn't really done so for a while.
    Never try and argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Gerrard? Really? Gerrard doesn't actually play that well at all for England and hasn't really done so for a while.
    At least when Gerrard stayed fit and was played regularly then yes but I admit he hasn't done much recently expect score against the US last world cup which was a while back.

I keep wondering why a basketball/baseball/wrestling thread exist but you don't see me complaining about those terrible sports on those threads. It is a suprise I haven't seen that abomanation of a sport called american football on this forums, must mean there aren't as much americans as you believed there would be and besides the guy who made this forum is from britain, so I am not even suprised there are more non-americans then americans here.

Americans should be glad we made the name of this thread non confusing for them, can't say they did the same about american sportcompetitions..
    Yo! Chill out! We can all get along! I don't watch Soccer, but I see Kicked and Screaming with Ben Stiller!
    SuperTeam USA: Me, God, Jesus, Santa Clause and Easter Bunny and Holy Ghost
    I can't wait for Pokemon Black 2 and White! Elese and Bugh are back!

Spoiler:- predictions:

I really am torn over the final though, but I'm pretty sure it won't be Spain. France is a very good team this year, but I don't think they'll win it all.
    I'll be happy if Ireland advances past the group stage.

Don't be so sure, England's group is easy as hell. They are sure to lose to France, but if they can beat an Ibra-led Sweden and a Ukraine squad with a home advantage, both of which are easily beatable, they're set. Only hiccup is kind of a major one--no Wayne Rooney. I agree it's not a great squad by any definition, but if they can cope without Rooney for the first two games, they'll advance.

It's not really an easy group when you've got France, a team that you've not beaten in a competitive fixture ever and the hosts of the tournament who no doubt will have the crowd on their side and intimidating England and making it very difficult to play against.

England have a very average squad which is a joke for a country that is supposedly mad about football, so many players are either missing, suspended or injured from the current squad that no doubt would improve the team but seeing as it is what is, I can't see England progressing in the group stages especially when they'll be likely to go into the Ukraine match needing a win to have any chance of progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
        Spoiler:- predictions:

I really am torn over the final though, but I'm pretty sure it won't be Spain. France is a very good team this year, but I don't think they'll win it all.
    I'll be happy if Ireland advances past the group stage.

Don't be so sure, England's group is easy as hell. They are sure to lose to France, but if they can beat an Ibra-led Sweden and a Ukraine squad with a home advantage, both of which are easily beatable, they're set. Only hiccup is kind of a major one--no Wayne Rooney. I agree it's not a great squad by any definition, but if they can cope without Rooney for the first two games, they'll advance.
    The dream final

I'm hurting from excitment right now! The Copa del Rey trophy is coming back to the CAMP NOU!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nicole~ View Post
    I'm hurting from excitment right now! The Copa del Rey trophy is coming back to the CAMP NOU!
    About to watch it now. Hope it's a good match!

3-0 Barca and Pep is loving it!
    Last edited by Gloryus; 25th May 2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Update

The dream final
    I think Netherlands vs. Germany would be an outstanding game, regardless of team affiliation.
    Although once Ireland gets knocked out I think I will be routing for the Netherlands.

About to watch it now. Hope it's a good match!

3-0 Barca and Pep is loving it!
    Sigh. I guess Pep deserves this, but now we have to deal with that "OMG MESSI" crap.
    Speaking of Barcelona, how ugly are their away kits this year? Complete disasters. A huge step down from the classy black shirts they wore this year, although I suppose nothing beats their turquoise kits in terms of hideousness.

It kinda fits though, a hideous kit for a hideous team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18211213

Would be a sensational signing. Vertonghen and Kaboul at the back would be imperious.

Page 28 of 266 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast