Page 4 of 265 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Espeon0429 View Post
    I'm interested to see how England will do next summer (Should we get the point we need in Montenegro to qualify!) I feel that getting out of the group stages would be a good enough achievement with anything else a bonus. Atm, I think it will be Spain/Germany final, with Holland and Italy losing in the semis. Thoughts?
    I can't help but think back to the World Cup and completely write off France and Italy =P they were dreadful, can they really have turned it around in the space of 2 years?

I do think England will get the point needed to qualify, but all it will mean is, as usual, we hype ourselves up saying "we can do it this time", only to, again, get let down by going out earlier than we would like to. It depends who we get though, I believe we can make it out of the groups, but then it just depends if we get Germany in the last 16 again or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Mevejuma View Post
    I can't help but think back to the World Cup and completely write off France and Italy =P they were dreadful, can they really have turned it around in the space of 2 years?

I do think England will get the point needed to qualify, but all it will mean is, as usual, we hype ourselves up saying "we can do it this time", only to, again, get let down by going out earlier than we would like to. It depends who we get though, I believe we can make it out of the groups, but then it just depends if we get Germany in the last 16 again or not!
    There is no last 16 in the Euros unless you count the group stage. There usually is another tough team in the group, so it is difficult to qualify. After the group stage, it is the Quarters, then semis etc.

I see your point re Italy, but they have swept aside every one in Euro Qualifying, so that's why I think they will do well.

In terms of England, I think that we will have to play one of Holland, Spain or Germany in the group and therefore, we will most likely finish second in the group. After that, we'll probably have to play another team in the Spain/Holland/Germany trio.
    The Five Region Challenge

Spoiler:- Regions:

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Espeon0429 View Post
    There is no last 16 in the Euros unless you count the group stage. There usually is another tough team in the group, so it is difficult to qualify. After the group stage, it is the Quarters, then semis etc.

I see your point re Italy, but they have swept aside every one in Euro Qualifying, so that's why I think they will do well.

In terms of England, I think that we will have to play one of Holland, Spain or Germany in the group and therefore, we will most likely finish second in the group. After that, we'll probably have to play another team in the Spain/Holland/Germany trio.
    Oh yeah, my bad.

I guess, but if I recall, France and Italy were quite strong in WC qualifying as well?

I don't know, I think we'll be the biggest team in the group, seeing as each group has one of the "big" teams, but then there'll also be someone very capable in there such as Portugal or maybe Sweden, we won't have Germany/Holland/Spain actually in the group.

Fufufufuuu, I knew our start for this season was too good to be true.

It's always like this, we might beat the big teams, but then lose against likes like Stoke. D:

Manchester United are scoring goals for fun it seems. Would love to see one of the Manchester teams against a team who plays utter defense, it'll be interesting then seeing someone trying to kill the game.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zino View Post
    Fufufufuuu, I knew our start for this season was too good to be true.

It's always like this, we might beat the big teams, but then lose against likes like Stoke. D:
    Tell me about it, I am still weeping inside, especially with the way that Manchester United and Manchester City are taking points for fun. In the post-match interview, Dalglish said something about "changing tactics" though...wonder what he has in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando Payne View Post
    Manchester United are scoring goals for fun it seems. Would love to see one of the Manchester teams against a team who plays utter defense, it'll be interesting then seeing someone trying to kill the game.
    There aren't many teams in the PL that play utter defence, so it may not be seen. Perhaps a mid-table team going to Old Trafford might be defensive, seeing as the lower teams tend to just go for it, not expecting anything anyway.

Dalglish said something about "changing tactics" though...wonder what he has in mind.
    Maybe he's talking about benching Carra for the next match... -______- Could mean clean sheets for us for a change.

Messi is the best player in whoole world!!

Maybe he's talking about benching Carra for the next match... -______- Could mean clean sheets for us for a change.
    We kept a clean sheet against Arsenal! Don't forget that. I just listened to a bit of said interview, and he's turning into Fergie, saying that refereeing decisions were going against us...only difference is they probably are, whereas the refs play for United

Quote Originally Posted by barak446 View Post
    In his position, yes. But I'm willing to bet he isn't a particularly great defender, full-back or goalkeeper. At least add something to your statement to say why you think he is, this doesn't really contribute much.

We kept a clean sheet against Arsenal! Don't forget that. I just listened to a bit of said interview, and he's turning into Fergie, saying that refereeing decisions were going against us...only difference is they probably are, whereas the refs play for United
    I won't! And besides, we can always deal with one loss, we'll just have to win for now on... :'D Hah, Dalglish turning into Fergie and the next thing we'll know is the ref giving us "Dalglish-time" until we score. But I heard the game had like 3 handballs or something. (Couldn't watch the match since I had a birthday party to attend D: So I just saw the result this time...)

Urgh, this whole Messi-hype has seriously pissed me off since the last World cup...

I won't! And besides, we can always deal with one loss, we'll just have to win for now on... :'D Hah, Dalglish turning into Fergie and the next thing we'll know is the ref giving us "Dalglish-time" until we score. But I heard the game had like 3 handballs or something. (Couldn't watch the match since I had a birthday party to attend D: So I just saw the result this time...)

Urgh, this whole Messi-hype has seriously pissed me off since the last World cup...
    Yeah, the only time a champion hasn't lost a game was the Arsenal Invincibles, so we can still make it I didn't manage to watch the game either, seeing as I was busy all day, but I don't think it's too bad, Stoke are a hard side to break down.

Agreed, Messi only works well in the Barcelona line-up, he doesn't do all that much for Argentina.

Yeah, the only time a champion hasn't lost a game was the Arsenal Invincibles, so we can still make it I didn't manage to watch the game either, seeing as I was busy all day, but I don't think it's too bad, Stoke are a hard side to break down.

Agreed, Messi only works well in the Barcelona line-up, he doesn't do all that much for Argentina.
    Indeed we can! If we came second with only two losses at 08/09 season, that means we can win it this time with only one loss. : D Yeah, Stoke isn't the easiest one and if we only had more luck... but oh well. At least it wasn't a loss against United, that would have seriously pissed me off.

Yeah, Messi isn't that super at all when he plays national. I hope the next "best player" award goes to someone who succeeds in both, his club-team as well in the national team.

Indeed we can! If we came second with only two losses at 08/09 season, that means we can win it this time with only one loss. : D Yeah, Stoke isn't the easiest one and if we only had more luck... but oh well. At least it wasn't a loss against United, that would have seriously pissed me off.

Yeah, Messi isn't that super at all when he plays national. I hope the next "best player" award goes to someone who succeeds in both, his club-team as well in the national team.
    Urgh, the 08/09 season still haunts me. We came so close, then lost Xabi Alonso and everything went downhill. Quickly. Yeah, as long as we can pick up wins against United, City and Chelsea, whilst sorting ourselves out so that we win most games against the smaller teams, we should be fine.

I can't think of a really good example. Messi excels at Barca, but isn't great with Argentina. Forlan is amazing with Uruguay, and now he's gone to Inter I think, so that remains to be seen how he does there.

Urgh, the 08/09 season still haunts me. We came so close, then lost Xabi Alonso and everything went downhill. Quickly. Yeah, as long as we can pick up wins against United, City and Chelsea, whilst sorting ourselves out so that we win most games against the smaller teams, we should be fine.
    It haunts me too! I still think we should have won it that year. We've been pretty strong at home against top teams lately, but the scoresheets of Manchester's teams scare me a bit this season. :'D And since we practically bought ourselves a new midfield this summer I guess it takes some time to the new guys to adjust. But as you said, we really should start winning those games against smaller teams, it's the main reason we're always dragging behind...

I can't think of a really good example. Messi excels at Barca, but isn't great with Argentina. Forlan is amazing with Uruguay, and now he's gone to Inter I think, so that remains to be seen how he does there.
    Yeah, Forlan was amazing last summer, but then he had pretty much an off season at Atletico (which I more or less support in the La Liga) last season. But maybe Inter will kick a new fire to him. (But I still think Serie A is a graveyard for the players...)

It haunts me too! I still think we should have won it that year. We've been pretty strong at home against top teams lately, but the scoresheets of Manchester's teams scare me a bit this season. :'D And since we practically bought ourselves a new midfield this summer I guess it takes some time to the new guys to adjust. But as you said, we really should start winning those games against smaller teams, it's the main reason we're always dragging behind...
    Definitely, we were incredibly strong that season, if only Rafa had kept his mouth shut..the scoresheets of United and City are really intimidating, I don't like looking at them. I was impressed we beat Bolton 3-1, only for United to do it 5-0 yesterday...I really hope we can show them who's boss this season, but with the midfield needing to gel, it may not be likely.

Yeah, Forlan was amazing last summer, but then he had pretty much an off season at Atletico (which I more or less support in the La Liga) last season. But maybe Inter will kick a new fire to him. (But I still think Serie A is a graveyard for the players...)
    It's just a different playing style in Serie A, like with all of the leagues. The Spanish league is quite fluent and fast-paced, with good control and technique, for example.

Serie A is just more physical it's still decent IMO and as for Liverpool, you guys should of had at least one penalty but at least it's not as bad as Arsenal. We got lucky against Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Raider View Post
    Serie A is just more physical it's still decent IMO and as for Liverpool, you guys should of had at least one penalty but at least it's not as bad as Arsenal. We got lucky against Swansea.
    Yeah, every league is decent in it's own right, it's just what you prefer. Yeah, I saw the highlights of the Arsenal game on MotD, what on earth was Vorm thinking when he did that? XD Even so, it was pretty good reactions on Arshavin's part to see that and jump on it like he did.

Definitely, we were incredibly strong that season, if only Rafa had kept his mouth shut..the scoresheets of United and City are really intimidating, I don't like looking at them. I was impressed we beat Bolton 3-1, only for United to do it 5-0 yesterday...I really hope we can show them who's boss this season, but with the midfield needing to gel, it may not be likely.
    I know. It was so good season it was a pretty big shock to start losing so so many games again in the next seasons. :'D Hah, yeah, it's like they just had to beat Bolton better than what we did... But then again, wasn't Chelsea pretty strong at the start of the season last year too before they fell lower. Maybe that's case for United too. : D And it's not like they can possibly score 5 goals against us... it's the other way around!

Yeah, every league is decent in it's own right, it's just what you prefer. Yeah, I saw the highlights of the Arsenal game on MotD, what on earth was Vorm thinking when he did that? XD Even so, it was pretty good reactions on Arshavin's part to see that and jump on it like he did.
    Vorm saved us, three points on the board for us!

Maybe that's case for United too. : D And it's not like they can possibly score 5 goals against us... it's the other way around!
    I don't see Man Utd or Liverpool conceding five goals because both teams
    Actually have good defenders and they don't defend like Arsenal

My guess would be a tight game, maybe 1-0 or 2-1 or something.
    Last edited by Gloryus; 11th September 2011 at 10:04 PM.

I don't see Man Utd or Liverpool conceding five goals because both teams
    Actually have good defenders and they don't defend like Arsenal

My guess would be a tight game, maybe 1-0 or 2-1 or something.
    Carragher should start to be weened out I think, seeing as he'll likely retire in the not too distant future anyway. I would love to see Agger-Coates making a great partnership, they're both quite young as well, so it would last for a good few seasons.

Carragher should start to be weened out I think, seeing as he'll likely retire in the not too distant future anyway. I would love to see Agger-Coates making a great partnership, they're both quite young as well, so it would last for a good few seasons.
    Don't forget about Skertel too. I like Jose Enrique he looks like your left back problem solved. I haven't seen Coates play yet although I hear he's got good potential. Carragher does seem off pace a little these days, he might think about calling it a day in the next two seasons.

Don't forget about Skertel too. I like Jose Enrique he looks like your left back problem solved. I haven't seen Coates play yet although I hear he's got good potential. Carragher does seem off pace a little these days, he might think about calling it a day in the next two seasons.
    Yeah, I haven't seen him play either, but he's young and full of potential, so hopefully a good prospect for the future. Enrique has definitely solved our left back problem, while Martin Kelly is sure to establish himself as one of the best right backs in the league - he looks incredible and he's only young!

Why is this thread named "The Soccer Thread"!! It should be football!

Anyways, it looks like the manchester clubs are running away with the title. But i remember at this time last year, people were already saying chelsea had won the league.

Cant wait for Man United vs. Chelsea!!
    Formerly, Chariking

Quote Originally Posted by ~-Overheat-~ View Post
    Why is this thread named "The Soccer Thread"!! It should be football!

Anyways, it looks like the manchester clubs are running away with the title. But i remember at this time last year, people were already saying chelsea had won the league.
    Chelsea and Liverpool are still in it, we can't rule them out yet. I hope Arsenal can pick up form and get some wins and confidence going to spice thing up in the title race.

Cant wait for Man United vs. Chelsea!!
    Yeah, next Sunday it's on and it'll be a very interesting game. I wonder if Torres will start or Sturridge or Anelka get the nod instead. What game I can't wait for is the Manchester derby, it's going to be epic!

I'm hoping Man U goes back to back. I live in the US and I haven't heard much lately, does anyone know what the conditions of Vidic and Ferdinand are? Last I'd heard they were injured, but that was some weeks ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracoste View Post
    You were talking about safe cooking. Guess what happens when you don't cook safe.
    (It starts with "D" and ends with "amn, my kitchen is on fire")

Page 4 of 265 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast