Page 48 of 266 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 6645

Thread: Soccer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Yeah I suppose. Winning more than Arsenal in the last eight years is enough to keep us happy anyway.
    Yet some Arsenal fans would be quick to point out that you haven't finished above Arsenal in the league for....oh a very long time...
    Never try and argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    Despite all the constant rubbish surrounding England, can't help but be a little patriotic today! As unlikely as it is to happen, let's whoop those Frenchies! Doesn't hurt to be an optimist!
    My thoughts exactly. I will be happy with a draw today, if we do lose it isn't the end of the world as I expect us to still qualify.

Lol England scored.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!! YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Sorry my home team....

Nasri evens things up and it's half time. Decent game this.

COME ON ENGLAND! COME ON ENGLAND. Sorry
    Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

Methinks a good point in the end. France had the overall better play during the game, but there weren't really any regularly worrying chances, and England probably had about as many good opportunities as France did. Of course, we need improvements, there are still elements of giving the ball away, and you could clearly see the tiredness creeping in at the end for a lot of the players.

But hey, I notice something good about England now. There isn't one player who didn't put in a shift, or who slacked on the day. It was a great team unit today, and I think Hodgson is at least partly responsible for that. That is what we have missed most in the past few tournaments, and whilst the quality is not neccesarily there, and we may not end up winning anything, but the fact that they are all trying is all we can really expect. I think personally that give it a few years, and we'll have a great team. World beaters? Perhaps not, but then, not many teams get to be.

As for individual performances, I think Oxlade-Chamberlain did a good job coming in, and I see promising things for him. But England MOM for me was definitely Welbeck, he had a lot of energy and skill on the day, and if he keeps performing like that, we may get somewhere.

Having said all that, the rest of the group is no cakewalk. I think France can be pretty pleased with how they played today as well, and will probably have similar ambitions to go far, if not more. Sweden is unquestionably going to be a tough game, and Ukraine have proven to be a nuisance before - I'm intruiged to see the game later.

Wow, I'm really surprised. I expected France to have a decisive victory, congrats to England for not being pushed around. Both teams played well, and since I think Sweden and Ukraine will tie 1-1, following today every team in Group D may have 1 point. Leaves it pretty open, although France can probably win the group, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that Di Natale didn't get to start. Amazing player, great sense of finding the goal. Sure, might be a bit "old", but he still has something magical. No offense to Balotelli or Cassano, they both have high highs, but can mix that with red cards/sloppy performances. Playing one of them and Di Natale would IMO be better.
    Balotelli did almost have a goal, he was clear through until he dribbled way too close to Casillas and was stopped by Ramos' questionable challenge.
    Despite this, Di Natale actually scored, so I think he'll be getting the nod over Balotelli and will start along with Cassano next game. Balotelli might not take kindly to being a substitute though. >_<

I was disappointed by Ashley Young, but thouroughly impressed with Nasri, Benzema, Cabaye, Welbeck, Gerrard and Ox. Overall the game was pretty much what everyone expected. France dominating possession, but pegged back by a strong, organised England defense.
    Formerly, Chariking

Quote Originally Posted by ~-Overheat-~ View Post
    I was disappointed by Ashley Young, but thouroughly impressed with Nasri, Benzema, Cabaye, Welbeck, Gerrard and Ox. Overall the game was pretty much what everyone expected. France dominating possession, but pegged back by a strong, organised England defense.
    I think Alou Diarra also had a solid game too in place of the injured M'Vila, he was largely responsible for Young being ineffective today. Ribery played well too but good on England for the big effort put in to preserve the draw.

We can be pleased with a point. I'm not watching Sweeden vs Ukraine
    Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

^Me neither. Seems likely to be the most boring game in the tournament. It's basically Ibrahimovic vs. home team advantage.

It's 2-1 to Ukraine with 3 goals in 20 minutes and Shevchenko at the double! Getting good now.

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    ^Me neither. Seems likely to be the most boring game in the tournament. It's basically Ibrahimovic vs. home team advantage.
    England - France has easily been the most boring game so far.

^ Germany-Portugal?

Anyway, co-hosts win! That certainly makes things interesting...

Matchday two predictions:

Greece 0-2 Czech Republic
    Poland 1-1 Russia

Denmark 2-0 Portugal
    Netherlands 2-1 Germany

Italy 1-1 Croatia
    Spain 2-0 Ireland

Ukraine 2-2 France
    Sweden 0-0 England

This euro is being interesting! Denmark surprised me, France and England surprised me, Ukraine surprised me, Poland and Greece surprised me... uhmm now I hope Portugal beats Denmark ^^

^ Germany-Portugal?

Poland 1-1 Russia

Denmark 2-0 Portugal
    Netherlands 2-1 Germany

Italy 1-1 Croatia
    Spain 2-0 Ireland

Ukraine 2-2 France
    Sweden 0-0 England
    Greece 1-1 Czech Republic
    Poland 1-2 Russia

Denmark 1-2 Portugal
    Netherlands 2-1 Germany

Italy 1-1 Croatia
    Spain 2-0 Ireland

Ukraine 1-2 France
    Sweden 0-0 England

I agree with most of your predictions. I think it the Netherlands - Germany is either going to end in 2-1 like you said or either side going to completly wreck the otherside.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by J-Myc View Post
    Yet some Arsenal fans would be quick to point out that you haven't finished above Arsenal in the league for....oh a very long time...
    Yeah alright, but what the **** was the 07-08 season where most of our team got food poisoning on the last day all about?
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

^ 05-06. One match outcome does not a league season make. Though it was pretty fortunate for Arsenal!

Was it that long ago? Wow I'm getting old.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

^ Germany-Portugal?

Poland 1-1 Russia

Denmark 2-0 Portugal
    Netherlands 2-1 Germany

Italy 1-1 Croatia
    Spain 2-0 Ireland

Ukraine 2-2 France
    Sweden 0-0 England
    I think it will go like this

Greece 0-0 Czech Republic
    Poland 1-3 Russia

Denmark 0-1 Portugal
    Netherlands 1-1 Germany

Italy 2-0 Croatia
    Spain 2-0 Ireland

Ukraine 0-2 France
    Sweden 0-1 England

Arsenal seem to have the same philosophy as Spain, walking the ball into the net rather than shooting from 2 yards out.

I can barely watch Spain play anymore.. it's just so frustrating and painful, like a dripping tap or a dead pixel. It drives me insane.

and then Torres comes on, who is actually willing to shoot, but seems to screw every chance he gets.

Wooh, Ukraine defyed the odds and beat Sweden 2-1, while despite it being tagged as a huge game, France and England boringly draw 1-1. However, Nasri's goal was spectacular! Interesting results, nonetheless.

Greece 2-2 Czech Republic

Poland 3-2 Russia

Poland 1-1 Russia

Denmark 2-0 Portugal
    Netherlands 2-1 Germany

Italy 1-1 Croatia
    Spain 2-0 Ireland

Ukraine 2-2 France
    Sweden 0-0 England
    Greece 1-1 Czech Republic
    Poland 1-2 Russia

Denmark 1-1 Portugal
    Netherlands 1-2 Germany

Italy 2-1 Croatia
    Spain 3-1 Ireland

Ukraine 1-2 France
    England 1-1 Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    England - France has easily been the most boring game so far.
    It's simply because it's their home country and they have a vested interest in them which is why some can't see it as boring but it actually really was a boring game.

France pretty much threw away their chance to win and gave England the draw by not being more adventurous and attacking more. England were clearly going to sit behind the ball and wait for counter attacks so France really should have pressed higher up the pitch rather than sitting back themselves at times. All in all it was pretty cagey match and I'm disappointed that France did not win this with the talent and skills they have.

As much as I dislike England I cannot fault them for their performance today as they performed within their limits and did exactly what I expected them to do from the start. They still have the problem of feeling that the Hollywood ball has to be played after 10 short passes has done nothing which will be their downfall against better teams (which wouldn't happen if they had someone that knew how to retain possession of the ball like Scholes).

From what I've seen in the Sweden and Ukraine game, England will find them a very difficult game and it will depend on how they approach the game as if they are arrogant against them it will cost them.
    Never try and argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Page 48 of 266 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast