Page 73 of 266 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 6645

Thread: Soccer Thread

Default The best at what he does

It's debatable whether Rooney is actually better than van Persie as the thing with van Persie is that he will guarantee you goals with the right set up. As a pure striker van Persie is clearly miles better than Rooney, if we're talking about overall ability then people may have a case for Rooney being better than van Persie but I've always thought that judging players on overall ability is rather pointless as it's like marking them for things they aren't expected to do, like marking a centre back for his shooting ability.

The thing with strikers is unless it's absolutely not part of their game and they just don't have the build for it (Heskey) then they really should be judged on their ability to score goals as that essentially is their role in the team and there is none better at scoring goals than Robin van Persie himself.

He proved this in a very average Arsenal squad and I guarantee that once he's settled in the Manchester United squad and he doesn't have a major injury then he will be even better than what he was for Arsenal.
    Never try and argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Man, Barcelona's tactics in the transfer market are the worst. Take Alex Song. Barca is interested in signing him, so all of a sudden Pique and Iniesta can't stop praising him. They've never mentioned him before, but now Barca want to sign him and they're acting as if he's the best player in the world to try and lure him to the Nou Camp. It was the same with Fabregas. Bleh.
    And now Barcelona's VP makes a surprise trip to London to negotiate for Song.

I'd have to completely disagree, Rooney is definitely better than RvP imo.

I think a lot of Man U fans (like maybe Zantera) are worried that Rooney and van Persie might not get along very well. They might not, but if they do then imagine the havoc they would wreak on the EPL. I'd be pretty positive about the transfer if I was a United fan.
    I don't want Alex Song playing for my team, yuck!!! I'd rather we get Agger ( I think we are ). Agger said Liverpool might sell him and we want a CB so he's perfect.

^I am not too sure about them wanting Song either...

Other than that, stuff seems ok. Modric is rumoured to be heading to Madrid though...
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

Modric is a Madrid player now, he's officially one of my hated players now.

Excited with RVP's arrival! Obviously there have been arguments as to how he would fit in and about his age, but its obvious Fergie wants him as a short term solution to wrestle off Manchester City and be dominant in Europe again..

My predicted EPL table

1. Manchester United(Last season we only lost on goal difference and at the last second literally, so this season, with our new signings + Nemanja Vidic, we should win)
    2. Manchester City
    3. Arsenal(still an extremely strong squad)
    4. Chelsea
    5. Tottenham
    6. Liverpool
    7. Newcastle
    8. Everton
    9. Fulham
    10. Aston Villa
    11. Stoke City
    12. QPR
    13. Reading
    14. Sunderland
    15. West Ham
    16. West Brom
    17. Swansea City(departure of great manager + teams started getting used to their style of play)
    18. Norwich City(conceded too many goals last season+departure of great manager)
    19. Southampton
    20. Wigan(something's gotta give+losing their best players)

Its a pretty sad situation for Norwich and Swansea to have done so well on their first season, but having their managers leave. Second season syndrome can also be a b*tch....
    Formerly, Chariking

Are you seriously predicting Wigan to go down? They only get stronger, the more they're written off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

^I'll agree with you apart from Newcastle and Man City. Man City are still gonna be on fire, and Newcastle look damn strong. I see Aston Villa doing crap, and Sunderland might breach top 10.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

My Premier League table prediction;

1. Manchester United
    2. Manchester City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Tottenham
    5. Arsenal
    6. Liverpool
    7. Newcastle
    8. Stoke City
    9. Everton
    10. Sunderland
    11. Norwich City
    12. West Brom
    13. Aston Villa
    14. Fulham
    15. Swansea City
    16. West Ham
    17. Wigan
    18. QPR
    19. Southampton
    20. Reading

Okay, So Barcelona have agreed a Ł15 million deal for Alex Song, and Song said he would like to join Barca. So looks like Song'll be a Barca player in time for our match against Real Madrid.

My predictions

Premier League
    1. Man United, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man City, 4. Arsenal, 5. Liverpool.
    18. Swansea, 19. Norwich, 20. Reading

FA Cup - Chelsea
    League Cup - Tottenham
    Champions League - Barcelona

Madrid are looking good but we ( Barcelona ) are looking one of the strongest we've ever looked, with the additions of Alba and Song and the expected signing of Agger as well, plus Messi, at 25, at his peak now.

It's hard for me to see why Arsenal would give Song away for Ł15m..

Default It's like everyone wants to leave

Because he apparently has a poor attitude and does not want to be there anymore. No point in keeping a player if he feels that way as it's only going to affect the rest of the team.

I wouldn't like Arsenal to get rid of Song just simply based on his ability and how I think he would still do a good job if he was more focused and disciplined but should he live then replacing has to be a priority for Arsenal as defensively they are not that brilliant and weakening your defensive options is not the way to proceed.
    Never try and argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Yeah, I thought Wenger said he was going to hold out for like Ł25m. Is it just rumors or has it been confirmed? If it's for real, what a setback for Arsenal. There are other fantastic defensive midfielders (Xabi Alonso, Michael Essien, Javi Martinez), sure, but Song fit in well, liked the club, and now the Gunners have to go out and find a replacement.

e: Apparently he didn't like the club, according to the post above. Well yeah now they have to go in full replacement mode, maybe they're hoping to get Xabi with the rumors circulating that he won't renew his contract, but that seems like a step back considering Xabi's age. He's a brilliant player but he's on the wrong side of 30, while Song was quite young.
    I feel sort of bad for Arsenal.
    Last edited by KickAsh; 17th August 2012 at 2:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjames View Post
    My Premier League table prediction;

1. Manchester United
    2. Manchester City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Tottenham
    5. Arsenal
    6. Liverpool
    7. Newcastle
    8. Stoke City
    9. Everton
    10. Sunderland
    11. Norwich City
    12. West Brom
    13. Aston Villa
    14. Fulham
    15. Swansea City
    16. West Ham
    17. Wigan
    18. QPR
    19. Southampton
    20. Reading
    Reading won't finish 20th. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no team has ever been relegated subsequently after winning the Championship, let alone finished bottom place. Otherwise I pretty much agree, just move Fulham to 11th and switch Reading to 14th.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Good luck to Madrid, I dunno what they trying to do by buying Modric, this bitch Mourinho.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nicole~ View Post
    Good luck to Madrid, I dunno what they trying to do by buying Modric,
    I'm going out a limb here, but I think what they're trying to do is get a world-class midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Reading won't finish 20th. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no team has ever been relegated subsequently after winning the Championship
    Norwich: 2003-2004 Title, 2004-2005 relegation.

I believe...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Reading won't finish 20th. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no team has ever been relegated subsequently after winning the Championship, let alone finished bottom place.
    West Brom 2008-09, and Sunderland 2004-05. Just thought I'd nitpick!

They're buying another world class midfielder to teach him how to dive and be a cry-baby Madrid player. Ahhhhhh theatrics~ Yup, that's what they're trying to do.

Alex Song is better and younger than Modric.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nicole~ View Post
    They're buying another world class midfielder to teach him how to dive and be a cry-baby Madrid player. Ahhhhhh theatrics~ Yup, that's what they're trying to do.

Alex Song is better and younger than Modric.
    Lol because Barcelona never ever dive, right?
    Younger: yes. Better: not yet and maybe not ever.

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Lol because Barcelona never ever dive, right?
    Younger: yes. Better: not yet and maybe not ever.
    Well, some of the men, like Busquets, do dive sometimes but not all the time, and plus we have a lot of good guys on our team too, men that get kick up and still keep running, like Messi and Iniesta, unlike Madrid where only Modric is the only player that does not dive, but that's set to change soon.

Barca dive just as much as madrid. JS
    Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

Default Still being ignorant I see

Alex Song and Luka Modrić are two completely different players who will most likely play different roles so there's no point in even comparing them. It's like trying to compare Dani Alves and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Barcelona has plenty of players who dive, I could probably name you an instance where nearly every player has dived and tried to con the referee on more than one occasion. Whatever your definition of "good guys" are, Real Madrid also have those too so saying that Modrić is the only player who doesn't dive is just being ignorant.

So, tomorrow it begins - the new season of EPL. Here are my predictions:

1. Manchester United
    2. Manchester City
    3. Arsenal
    4. Chelsea
    5. Newcastle
    6. Liverpool
    7. Tottenham
    8. Everton
    9. Stoke
    10. Fulham
    11. Sunderland
    12. QPR
    13. Swansea
    14. Aston Villa
    15. Norwich
    16. Wigan
    17. West Ham
    18. Southampton
    19. West Bromwich
    20. Reading

BTW, is anyone else playing Fantasy Premier League? If you are, we could make a private league.
    Just another generic signature.

Page 73 of 266 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast