Page 92 of 266 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 6645

Thread: Soccer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    That makes it worse since they're fierce rivals
    No need to tell me that since I live in Yorkshire. :L

Now since we are talking about supporting a club because they win a lot, I support a club who plays in the second tier and have only be on the top tier for 4 seasons. But they are from the place I was born, raised and still live so I support them with all my heart.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

^Willem II? Sparta Rotterdam? NEC Nijmegen? (I'm trying to think of Dutch teams where practically nobodies heard of them.)
    Also Nicole, if you don't know if you want to support Barcelona, do what I did, support a little team, like for you, say Alcorcon or Rayo Vallecano or a team like that.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando Payne View Post
    ^Willem II? Sparta Rotterdam? NEC Nijmegen? (I'm trying to think of Dutch teams where practically nobodies heard of them.)
    Also Nicole, if you don't know if you want to support Barcelona, do what I did, support a little team, like for you, say Alcorcon or Rayo Vallecano or a team like that.
    Willem II and NEC play in the highest Dutch league, Sparta the second highest. Actually Willem II promoted last season, but they aren't doing very well. Up until now they have only won 1 match and it doesn't look like they will be competing for a spot in the European competition, lol. But yes, these are teams that aren't well known outside the Netherlands. I think the teams that are most well known are PSV, Feyenoord and Ajax. Although FC Twente is closing in on them during the last few years.
    "You need stomping. And I'm a Stomptologist."

"Trust me, any problem comes up, I'll stomp it into next week! I'll Bowserize it!"

"Count Bleck, Floro Sapiens, whatever... Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, and I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!"

FC Twente is probably known to the people in England as the team Steve McClaren buggered off to when he cost England a shot in Euro 2008
    Never try and argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Don't forget AZ!

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    Don't forget AZ!
    I didn't forget AZ. But they aren't doing well either. They're 11th right now, after a bad series of matches and after being defeated by FC Twente with 3-0 recently. Not surprising when Maher and Altidore both get a red card during that match. But it sure was surprising how their coach, Gertjan Verbeek, responded after the match. Normally he'd explode in front of the camera..

"Trust me, any problem comes up, I'll stomp it into next week! I'll Bowserize it!"

"Count Bleck, Floro Sapiens, whatever... Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, and I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!"

Nope Sc cambuur :P.

And he Dutch clubs that are most known are probably Ajax PSV Feyenoord and AZ and Fc Twente.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

That thing about RM was a joke by the way, I'm a Barca fan and I'll always be a Barcelona fan. If you ever see me sympathizing with Madrid or wearing a Madrid jersey, the world will end! BARCA! BARCA! BAAARRRCAAAA! My heart will always be red and blue!

^Yeah sure and I'm your uncle. (If that is a joke then I don't get it, wasting people's time isn't a joke, if it was I'd be the greatest Comedian the world's ever seen, trust me on that.)
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

It was, I just wanted attention because something happened at school and I was really sad so all weekend I was sulking. Sorry for ''wasting your time''! Visca Barca!

^well that's mature. In a completely unrelated note, I feel sorry for Artmedia Petrzalka. 7 years ago, they were part of the Champions League and the first Slovakian side to gain points in the group stage, now they're in the third division of Slovakia. I just feel sorry for their fall from grace.

I'm 12, I'm supposed to be mature? Lol. I've never heard of Artmedia Petrzalka. Who are them? I've heard about Villarreal though. 2 seasons ago they finished 4th in the Liga and now they're in the Liga Adelante

^well that's mature. In a completely unrelated note, I feel sorry for Artmedia Petrzalka. 7 years ago, they were part of the Champions League and the first Slovakian side to gain points in the group stage, now they're in the third division of Slovakia. I just feel sorry for their fall from grace.
    Unirea Urziceni were in the Champions League group stage only three years ago, now they don't even exist.

That's a shame for them, I guess the money from the Champions League wasn't invested wisely
    Never try and argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by J-Myc View Post
    That's a shame for them, I guess the money from the Champions League wasn't invested wisely
    I hate when football clubs just disappear. I think it's really sad especially in the case of Unirea Urziceni. What do the fans do when that happens? Some of them will have spent their entire life supporting the club and then bam! the club is dissolved. Do they go on to support another team or do they stay loyal to the team they once loved?

Depends really as some clubs just dissolve and become another entity a bit like how Wimbledon became MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon or a more recent example of how Rangers have become this new club which isn't really Rangers. If another club is created to fill in the void then some supporters might support the new club otherwise it depends on how they themselves feel about supporting another club.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Myc View Post
    Depends really as some clubs just dissolve and become another entity a bit like how Wimbledon became MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon or a more recent example of how Rangers have become this new club which isn't really Rangers. If another club is created to fill in the void then some supporters might support the new club otherwise it depends on how they themselves feel about supporting another club.
    Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about the Wimbledon case. I think that, if my team were to disappear for whatever reason then the only way I'd feel better about supporting another team is if that other team popped up to replace them (just like with Wimbledon). If another team didn't replace them and I decided to support, say, Aston Villa instead (I don't even particularly like Villa that much so this wouldn't occur but the point is still valid) I'd always feel a degree of guilt.

I think if my favorite club disappeared I'd be angry more than anything. I guess I would support another team but I wouldn't be happy about it.

If Barca disappeared I'd probably lose my interest in football alltogether. I didn't choose to be a Barca fan, it's more like Barca chose me to be a fan of the club ( as funny as that sounds ) and when I was 4 ( it probably has something to do with everyone in the city supporting Barcelona ) I started supporting Barca. If Barca disappeared it'll be like part of me died.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nicole~ View Post
    If Barca disappeared I'd probably lose my interest in football alltogether. I didn't choose to be a Barca fan, it's more like Barca chose me to be a fan of the club ( as funny as that sounds ) and when I was 4 ( it probably has something to do with everyone in the city supporting Barcelona ) I started supporting Barca. If Barca disappeared it'll be like part of me died.
    If Barca disappeared, it would be the end of the freakin' world. Luckily there would still be PSV Eindhoven (sorry, couldn't resist hehe).

^And Walsall. They beat Arsenal in 1933, when one of the Arsenal boots cost more then the whole Walsall team, and in the 80s they were like the only team to withstand Liverpool and gain a draw against them. Still, poor Unirea, I mean I hate it when essentially a one hit wonder in footballing terms dissolves pretty soon afterwards. Like when Gretna dissolved I felt kinda sad but not that much because I didn't support them per se. (My new favourite Scottish team is Annan Athletic because they replaced Gretna.)

Hopefully we can squeak out a win against Poland later. I'm predicting a narrow 1-0, hopefully Ukraine and Montenegro takes points off each other too. Turns out Ukraine's manager left for Dynamo Kiev which I was unaware of before their draw with Moldova.

Speaking of Moldova they take on San Marino. Plenty of people have claimed after England's win over San Marino about the disparity of teams in qualifying and the need for a previous round for qualification for the lesser teams. I think this would work, if you took the sixteen lowest ranked European nations and had four groups of four, with the top two going into regular rounds of qualifying. Then you'd have nine groups of five. This would at least prevent results like Liechtenstein 1-8 Bosnia-Herzegovina, and also give teams like Liechtenstein and Luxembourg actual chances of winnign competitive games.

^Luxembourg beat Switzerland 2-1 in Euro 2008 qualifying, the only lesser lights which don't do a damn thing are San Marino and Andorra. (Have either of those 2 teams ever won a competitive match?)

^ *Nitpick, t'was World Cup 2010 qualifying. Andorra I think beat Macedonia once but that's it. San Marino have only won one match ever and that was a friendly against Liechtenstein.

It's just the odds of a minnow upset is far less than the regular thrashings such as San Marino 0-13 Germany. You'd still have some of them qualifying anyway. Only problem would be lack of international playing time I guess. And I doubt anything is going to be done anytime soon anyway. Most other confederations have far more interesting qualifying stages though, especially South America. (The only exception is Oceania which is likely to forever have New Zealand dominate every single time)

Also I hear Gibraltar applied for UEFA membership, and Spain are threatening to boycott all their international and continental football if they are accepted. What bullies!

Page 92 of 266 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast