Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phoopes' Drabble Corner

Default phoopes' Drabble Corner

Well, this is something that you don't see every day. A Drabble! For those of you who don't know what a Drabble is, it is a story that consists of exactly 100 words. This is my first attempt at one, so here goes nothing!

"The Egg"
    by phoopes

An small white egg sitting in a nest. Waiting.

Suddenly, it twitches. The movement grows.

The movement becomes a hypnotic dance. Back and forth, back and forth.

A crack in the shell. As the egg moves, the crack is growing. Larger and larger it becomes until a beak is seen.

Slowly but surely, the creature inside is becoming more visible. The beak, then the head, torso, wings and legs. Finally, the clawed feet step out of the former container.

The creature is revealed. A Piplup. Small. Untouched. Naive. It blinks its eyes open at the sight of the morning.

Life.

I know that this isn't the usual sort of thing that you see here, but I hope you enjoyed it! Please tell me what you think and review!
    Last edited by Phoopes; 2nd September 2011 at 1:57 AM.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Hey! This is a pretty interesting idea, but I think you should read the rules first.

We're not supposed to post anything less than two pages here.

I see what you're aiming for, I liked it, but we're not supposed to post stuff like this here. At least, not something this short.

Hope this helps! Really, not bad writing.

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

NACHOE, that's not quite right, especially with drabbles - if you check the ninth rule, they are actually allowed, the author is just limited to posting all consequent drabbles in the same thread. It's an odd writing form, I will give you that - but perfectly within their rights to go under two pages. There is at least one other writer on this forum who has been regularly updating short drabbles here, I believe, and I write quite a few perfect 100s myself, I just don't post them here. They can be quite tricky to get right. xD Besides, the 'two page' rule is only limited to chaptered stories, even oneshots and songs are allowed to flaunt that rule.

On to the drabble!

You captured the moment quite well, I thought. :3 You gave it a nice pace, so the one-liner end seemed in place, although it wasn't the most original- but when you only have one hundred words there isn't much room for that, and it fit, in any case. Birth is always a poignant moment. :3 The only other thing I would say is that I'd have switched the initial reference to the 'sphere' to the 'egg' and left the sphere descriptive until afterwards. Really, it's much simpler just to describe it as it is, rather than substituting the word for something else - I felt that the point of the drabble was to describe the birthing process and the details of that, and this dancing around the word seemed a little unneeded. This is probably just a personal preference, though, haha. I wrote in a forum roleplay once where the writers was addicted to using anything but the word itself to describe their characters' movements, going so far as to abuse a thesaurus for substitutes and coming up with terms that would quickly catch on with the rest. I was treated to horses throwing their 'craniums' around before I decided it was all too much and left. xD

In any case, I thought this was well done - a good use of the length restrictions. :3 Will you be writing more?

Floating over your rocky spine
    The glaciers made you and now you're mine

Pair: duncan | Lyrics: Great Lake Swimmers

Well in that case, my bad. Hehe... I wasn't sure.

But that just means all I can say is that it was actually pretty good. Like katiekittien, it'd be nice to see more of this. With less than one page, you've written something really beautiful, albeit simple.

Good job!

Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!

Thanks for positive reviews! I will be writing more drabble in this thread. (I should've probably had the name as something different than the title of my first piece though.)

@katiekitten: Advice taken. Will change "sphere" to "egg." It does make it easier.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

The movement becomes a hypnotic dance. Back and forth, back and forth.
    [A small note: how much can an egg move to become a dance? (I am now picturing an egg spinning so fast that it twirls. Not a very serious image, but I think I can contribute that to my current illness. >__>)]

It's a sweet drabble. However, what I would have loved is if you used your language, and the way you showed this story (not told) to highlight the innocence, and the struggle, and the somewhat brutal beginnings of life (babies wail as their new nerve endings feel the outside air for the first time, it takes hatchlings hours to break open their eggs and become free if they aren't helped by their parents). It would have given this more of an 'oompf', and some more depth, instead of a simple message: life. Life is not so simple a concept, your abbreviation of it is misleading. x'D
    Last edited by Ejunknown; 1st September 2011 at 3:42 PM.

demise: the last remnants of the fallen

chapter two complete: defective.

meddling with time: where time lines collide
    a new fanfiction of twisted time and mistaken love chapter one complete: steps forward

author's profile -review exchange profile - deviant [/COLOR]

Just going to confirm that it's within the rules, bcause drabbles are meant to be short and all and so will be within the 2 page rule. Other one-shots can also be less than two pages - it's more for chapters only (not prologues even!) and even then we allow some short chapters if they are actually well written and not just rushed badly/put together with no regard for spelling or grammar.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Well, here it is. The next Drabble in this "series" of sorts. Like the first, it involves a bird Pokemon. However, they are not related. Enjoy!

"Flight"
    by phoopes

The young Rufflet stood erect on a branch of his favorite tree. He was visibly agitated, clawing at the bark and shifting his weight back and forth from foot to foot. Finally, he decided. It was time.

Slowly, he unfurled his still developing wings. He took a deep breath, letting the cool evening air calm him.

He leaped into the air, panicking slightly as he dropped. However, his confidence arose as his wings caught an updraft. They were working naturally, and now he was soaring through the forest. Twisting and diving, it was unlike any experience he had before.

Exhilaration.

Well, there it is. Hope you enjoyed it, and please review!

Wow, you're pretty good at this drabble stuff. ^__^

I like the way the piece was written. I could picture the Rufflet and the tree, and his leap. It captured the moment pretty nicely. Good job!

x3 You can really capture the endings, you know? Very adorable, and once again a good use of the hundred words. :3

Thanks for the positive reviews! I like to end the Drabble with that one word sentence, just to leave an impression on the reader. I feel that it helps capture the moment more, plus keeps the word count down a little bit. I find this writing style fun, too, which is what really counts when ya think about it. It's a challenge to limit myself to just 100 words, and I love that challenge.

Nice drabbles, phoopes! I was planning on reviewing one of your fics, since you were one of three people who reviewed mine, but I was too busy to read all the chapters of the Pokémon Saga. So, I'll read these drabbles instead!

I liked The Egg. Though what Ejunknown said is logical, I still liked how you wrote about life.

And I liked "Flight" even better. For some reason, it reminds of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole book series. Guess the stuff I like I really like... Anyways, to me, the drabble captures the exhiliration of flight perfectly.
    GAMES ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    1st Prize in Caption Contest 7/15/11
    Won a Cool Vuvuzela in Pokémon Assembler!

Currently, I have an obsession with the Litwick line's tendency for sucking souls out.
    Fan Fics Stuff!
    i love pokémon is not only on Serebii, it's now on FanFiction.net!
    Author's Profile

Oh, I completely missed what Ejunknown said. So...

@Ejunknown: While I do agree with you, I would find it kind of difficult to put that into 100 words. I'll consider that if I do a revision on, "The Egg."

@FireTypeLover: I've never read the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. In fact, I didn't know until right now that it was a book series. I thought it was just a movie. XD I also liked "Flight" better. Personally, I thought I did a bit better of a job with it than "The Egg."

To everyone: I'm currently working on the 3rd Drabble in the unofficial, "phoopes' Drabble Corner." It'll be up today.

8'D This gives me an idea, actually.

A few years ago I had a thread (I was browsing through my posted threads recently, completely forgot this ever existed), where using 250 words, you had to describe a small setting, as thoroughly and interesting (so no listing) as possible. As you enjoy writing these (and I really do like them, the last one is adorable, Rufflet is one of my favourite of the new Pokemon, the image you create is adorable), would you consider putting up a 100 word drabble thread?

I can see it being a great idea, as you are writing these regularly, and I can see a lot of other people participating. >u< (I also take part in an off-site drabble community, although the word limits alternate between 100-400 based off of prompts; this one wouldn't have to be so specific, but it is definitely one of my favourite weekly commitments.)

demise: the last remnants of the fallen

chapter two complete: defective.

meddling with time: where time lines collide
    a new fanfiction of twisted time and mistaken love chapter one complete: steps forward

author's profile -review exchange profile - deviant [/COLOR]

Hmmmm... Interesting thought you have there. I could definitely see that being a success. However, we'd have to get more interest than just two people. I'll contact bobandbill about it, and see what he thinks.

-I'd be interested, by the by. ;x

UPDATE: No community Drabble thread... Oh well. Here's the third Drabble. Enjoy!

"Winter"
    by phoopes

Flareon was cold. It wasn’t a normal kind of cold, but a cold that chilled her to the bone, holding her in an icy grip. Frost was forming on her fur, and her body, once hot to the touch, was cooling off fast. She was trudging through the snow, ribs showing through her pelt. Desperately searching for food, finding none. Her paws slowed, and she was still for a minute. Exhausted, she collapsed onto the cold, hard ground. Hypothermia was distorting her senses, and frostbite made her body numb. Eyes glazed over, she lay motionless, and took her final breath.

I was in a bad mood when I wrote that, obviously. It's the first time that I've ever killed off a character in any of my writings. Anyway, hope you enjoyed it! Please review!

hmm....it was a bit depressing,but it was very good!I loved the use of the 100 words you used!overall:Very Good!
    3DS friend code:
    4897-6091-2809
    IGN: Magnicth

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    You check your mail, and you have a letter from that neighbor, with a gift. And you know what it is? It's a ****ing apple, because they aren't native to your town, but you already have apple a bunch of apples!
    I have claimed Relicanth!!!

^credit to PKMNrookie for the userbar!^

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOverlord777 View Post
    hmm....it was a bit depressing,but it was very good!I loved the use of the 100 words you used!overall:Very Good!
    Yea, like I said, I was in sort of a bad mood when I wrote it. That's probably why it came off as depressing. :P Anyway, I was really happy with how this one turned out. I might do depressing ones more often, lol.

Your bad mood came through.

IT'S SO SAD. I feel so bad for that Flareon, despite it being my least favorite Eeveelution. It was pretty well written. The impact of what you write has not dropped yet, so you're doing something right. Keep up the good work!

1. Yes, I was hoping the bad mood would come through.
    2. HOW DARE YOU HATE ON FLAREON!! (Just kidding.)
    3. I'm glad that my impact is still coming through!
    4. Thanks for the review!

Quote Originally Posted by NACHOE! View Post
    Your bad mood came through.

IT'S SO SAD. I feel so bad for that Flareon, despite it being my least favorite Eeveelution. It was pretty well written. The impact of what you write has not dropped yet, so you're doing something right. Keep up the good work!
    Quoting phoopes from the previous post, HOW DARE YOU HATE ON FLAREON!! And I'm not kidding, like phoopes was, since my username is FireTypeLover and all.

Anyways, this drabble was dark. Not as dark as my fic though! Even though I feel bad for poor Flareon, I liked it and I think you should write more drabbles in a bad mood. Maybe 'accidently' erase one of your save files for a cherished game?
    GAMES ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    1st Prize in Caption Contest 7/15/11
    Won a Cool Vuvuzela in Pokémon Assembler!

Currently, I have an obsession with the Litwick line's tendency for sucking souls out.
    Fan Fics Stuff!
    i love pokémon is not only on Serebii, it's now on FanFiction.net!
    Author's Profile

Yes, I'll keep in mind the advice to write in a bad mood. But I will not erase any save game files. The local high school sports teams lose often enough that I don't need to.

While you have a bit more in the way of real concepts behind your drabbles than magikarprules, I'm sorry to say it doesn't feel like these have much real substance. They're mostly description, meaning they feel padded: you have a small, simple concept and then you stretch it to fill into 100 words, instead of saying something really bigger than the drabble. None of your little scenes hint at a bigger context or characterization that could leave the reader really thinking about them afterwards. They're cute little scenes, in their way, but they're not very impactful and don't say very much.

If you gave us some inkling of why that Flareon was freezing to death and couldn't just use her Fire abilities to keep herself warm, for instance, it could be a lot more interesting. Right now you're just introducing this random Flareon and going (in a few more words) "And then she died. The end." It's kind of sad, but characters dying doesn't have impact just in itself, without any idea of who they were or what they died for.

Try to have something more to them than just what you're describing, something larger. Let us fill in the blanks. Show characters or situations that we can really extrapolate into the future or past to create a story that goes beyond just the 100 words you wrote.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Thanks for the advice Dragonfree. I had another Drabble ready, but I deleted it after what you said. After re-reading it, it didn't have those qualities that you mentioned. I'm now working on a new Drabble that can actually become more than just a little scene. I think that I can make this one have a true impact on people. Once again thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast