Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

I love the idea, but I'm not sure it's really great for a solid deck -- then again, Dragonstorm was a pretty solid deck once upon a time, I don't know. It's probably not great for Standard.

On a similar note, I'd love to see something that involves duping out even more Utvara Hellkites.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    For a Standard dragon deck, I think it's best to go Red/Blue. It'll give you access to Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius and Hypersonic Dragon. As well as a bunch of Blue spells that can help keep the board under your control and cleared of threats.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. With stuff like Balefire Dragon,Moonveil Dragon, Utvara Hellkite, and Niv-Mizzet at the top end. The middle with Archwing Dragon, Furnace Whelp, Thundermaw Hellkite and Hypersonic Dragon, and the early game with Dragon Hatchling and MAYBE Slumbering Dragon.

It wouldn't be a very serious deck, but it'd be a lot of fun for some casual, non-competitive games.
    I agree, except I want to possible splash some black in for stuff like Malfegor (maybe) and Bladewing the Risen (again maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I love the idea, but I'm not sure it's really great for a solid deck -- then again, Dragonstorm was a pretty solid deck once upon a time, I don't know. It's probably not great for Standard.

On a similar note, I'd love to see something that involves duping out even more Utvara Hellkites.
    Obviously, Infinite Reflection (if you have a lot of nontoken creatures). Every time you attack, put a 6/6 red Dragon creature token with Flying onto the battlefield for each nontoken creature you control.

Join the Nazi Zombies Club V3 today!
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1715-0227
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref
    Ibanez needs a less retarded naming structure.
    Ibanez RG7862FR87689.55(pi*sqrt(5x+(y^2)-(z/8)))

Quote Originally Posted by DucksGoMooful View Post
    Obviously, Infinite Reflection (if you have a lot of nontoken creatures). Every time you attack, put a 6/6 red Dragon creature token with Flying onto the battlefield for each nontoken creature you control.
    There we go. I think I completely forgot about that card.

In my current Niv-Mizzet EDH (still a rough draft), I have Hellkite, Rite of Replication, and a lot of looping effects to grab and recast Rite. I may socket in a Savage Beating if possible as a faster finisher (I have Mass Hysteria).

(Also, if you're doing Bladewing the Risen and have a way to get him to your graveyard, Bogardan Hellkite? Maybe Dragon Tyrant?)

The usual links

I was just about to completely disregard the Commander's Arsenal pack but then I saw that Karrthus is going to be in it. That upsets me...I'm still not going to buy it though. Too expensive for what's in it.

In other news, I'm actually considering buying FTV: Realms, if my local store isn't selling it for 200$

In other other news, I'm going to get a booster box of Modern Masters when it comes out. It seems like a cool idea and I want all those old cards.

Got some Rakdos and Golgari cards from a friend today for some stuff from Dark Ascension. I got a Rakdos Guildgate, and Deathrite Shaman, and a couple Rakdos cards. and I'm about to get a set of the gates and Keyrunes whenever I can.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

I just built myself a UR budget burn standard deck. It basically focuses on burning stuff with Thunderbolt/Searing Spear/Pillar of Flame and combining it with Guttersnipe. Adding blue lets me play Think Twice, Counterflux, Cyclonic Rift, Izzet Charms and Goblin Electromancer, all in all it's a fine deck, but obviously it would be better if it had Snapcasters/Bonfire, but it doesn't...
    Have a nice day

Black FC: 3911-6974-2268
    -STUNFISK LAUGHS AT YOU!-

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Went to a RTR draft yesterday. First pack was Rakdos, Lord of Riots. I was like, awesome. Then the guy next to me passes me Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius. I'm like, sweeeeet. He had a foily Worldspine Worm in that pack, that's why he passed it to me. Anyway, first game I was on the bye, second round first game I won. 2nd game I would've won, had I been using Lobber Crew's ability every turn. I missed 2 turns of it, and my opponent ended up having 2 life left when he killed me. 3rd game, if I had gotten rid of his blocker (which I could have) I would have won. I thought he was at 6 life though, rather than 9. Oh well. 3rd round I did horrible.

I bought a pack outside of the draft and got another Niv-Mizzet, so that's cool. I also bought some dragons and built a Singleton 100 UBR deck, with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker as the pseudo-commander. It's pretty cool if I say so myself, but we'll have to see how good it actually is.

Swag. 10char The big cards in RTR I'm looking for is Vreska, the Seeker , Jace, Archetect of Thought, Worldspire Worm, Niv-Mizeet, DracoGenius, Jarod Golgari Lich-Lord, and that's about it.

^ Well if you're not concerned with art, you can get Jarad in the Izzet vs. Golgari Duel Deck (foily, too). As for the others, the planeswalkers are really expensive right now, but the others shouldn't be too hard to find.

Vraska the Unseen is actually around $19. WAAAY below the $40-ish she started at during the prerelease. She'll probably settle around $10-15, so I'd wait before picking her up.

Jace, AoT is WAAAY up. Going from $35 to about $47 (he was over $50 at one point). He's seemed to stabilize around that point, so unless you're shelling out money or have a lot of trade value, you're stuck to hoping to open him in packs. I'm happy because I traded one of my Bonfire of the Damned for a Jace and $10 worth of RtR rares during the Prerelease...and now Bonfire is down to $35...so I got a great deal.

Worldspine Wurm and Jarad are pretty junk-mythics. Easily traded for. About $3 each.

Niv-Mizzet is around $7.50 mid-priced. So you can probably get him pretty easily too.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Sorry about the misspellings. I'm wanting to get Jarod from RTR because it's from RTR the Duel Decks use their own expansion symbol. I'm saving my money so I can get the cards needed for my guild (Boros) that is in the next set.

Ral Zarek confirmed for Sinker?

On a slightly side-note-y thing, I'm trying to put together some material for a potential custom card league, to be operated via Cockatrice. Would love some help hashing out a few of the cards. (I'm aiming for pretty much all custom except for the one base set.)

The usual links

Ral is just about confirmed for Dragon's Maze (Sinker). Short of actually getting a written confirmation/seeing a card, this is the best we can get from WotC. But I figured/guessed that he'd be in the RTR block in some way. I'm more excited for Gideon come Gatecrash and whomever the second planeswalker in that set will be. Small sets like Dragon's Maze usually only have 1 walker, but I suppose there's nothing set in stone. Someone I know was/is insisting that it'll have a new Bolas...but...I'm not so sure. This block is a lot of fun, regardless.

Monsters."

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    Ral is just about confirmed for Dragon's Maze (Sinker). Short of actually getting a written confirmation/seeing a card, this is the best we can get from WotC. But I figured/guessed that he'd be in the RTR block in some way. I'm more excited for Gideon come Gatecrash and whomever the second planeswalker in that set will be. Small sets like Dragon's Maze usually only have 1 walker, but I suppose there's nothing set in stone. Someone I know was/is insisting that it'll have a new Bolas...but...I'm not so sure. This block is a lot of fun, regardless.
    New Bolas is possible (being that he's UBR), but not likely. In all likelihood, it'll be someone you could still shoehorn into a "one walker per color" structure, which does pretty much exist in every block (you have to finagle it a little for multicolors and you end up with Karn ≈ Green for SOM). Assuming Ral is in Sinker/Dragon's Maze:

White: Gideon (rW)
    Blue: Jace (U)
    Black:
    Red: Ral (uR)
    Green:

Black OR Green: Vraska (BG)

Which means it's probably a walker who's part black or part green (and likely one who hasn't appeared in ISD/DKA/AVR, so no Sorin even though I like him). I also could be very, very wrong, and I probably am.

The usual links

I think Orzhov (B/W) guid should get a Planeswalker that would just be friggin amazing but since Sorin is now B/W hat probably won't happen.

Since he's also the only PW who currently is at least partially white that I could see also being partially black, unfortunately, that probably means that, barring a new character, the odds of an Orzhov walker are fairly limited. Out of currently-existing PWs, barring sudden color changes, the most likely in my pattern are Kiora, Nissa, Sarkhan, or Tezzeret. Technically, Ajani could, too, as he often gets counted for green. Bolas is not terribly likely due to story reasons, and Karn even less so.

Out of the first four, I'm... kinda hoping for Tezzeret.

The usual links

Well couldnt Sorin go to Ravnica. Now he his B/W so I could see that but not really story wise.

He could, but I think that no PW has appeared in consecutive blocks... other than Ajani and Sarkhan. So that might be enough exceptions to say the rule isn't much of one.

The usual links

Didn't Garruk appear in 2 consecutive blocks.

No. He appeared in Lorwyn, then a core set (which is meant to be story-neutral), then Innistrad. He did have new cards in two consecutive sets, though, which no other PW has done.

So basically, it's confusing.

The usual links

I have the one from Lorwyn. and he had a new version in M12 and M13 I do believe. I know there is 1 in M13 that is different then the one in Lorwyn and Innistrad. Still fav PW Elspeth or Sorin.

Yeah, the new one that was introduced outside a block showed up in M12 (and M13 by extension). The reason why I'm not counting that is because the core sets are by and large story-neutral, and the focus on story is definitely galvanized lately, best I can tell. Again, could be wrongful assumptions, too.

The usual links

Yeah. I see, so I learned something in the Aajani vs. Nicol Bolas Duel Deck, Ajani was printed R/W. With new abilities. I'm going to FNM with a B/W deck tomorrow. I love it everyone thinks it's an Exalted deck. I run 5 cards with Exalted. 1 Aven Squire, 1x Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis, 2 Angelic Benediction, 1x Duskmantle Prowler. I really like this deck.

I wish that exalted was a better mechanic right now; lack of standard-legal Akrasan Squire is kind of a stumbling block, sadly. I hope that Gatecrash will make it more useful -- Orzhov Keyrune at least should give a boost, since I would imagine when it goes into creature form, it'll have some evasive ability. Would be nice if it was e.g. 2/1 unblockable.

The usual links

Exalted is fine right now. Both Knight of Glory and Sublime Archangel are all the Exalted you need. As a mechanic it's just very easily disrupted. Certain decks, like Azorius Human Aggro benefits from those two cards, swinging in for the kill by turn 4-5. Otherwise it's a mechanic that works best in Limited. Constructed just has too many answers to disrupt it.

Monsters."

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast