Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

Can't we just alter between standard and modern, or something?
    If we end up overcomplicating things we'll just lose enthusiasm for this even earlier on. Since for now its just a few of us, we surely can agree on an existing format and run with it?

Quote Originally Posted by niedude View Post
    Can't we just alter between standard and modern, or something?
    If we end up overcomplicating things we'll just lose enthusiasm for this even earlier on. Since for now its just a few of us, we surely can agree on an existing format and run with it?
    This is probably the truest thing said. We can make a fake set for fun, sure, but months and months go into making a new set IRL. Months of testing, developing, planning...with people who have been doing this for years and have much more experience than we do. I'm all for making new cards amongst ourselves, but if that's the case, you should just join my Planeswalkers RPG.[/selfpromotion]

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

why don't we make a separate thread for the "fnm", since that seems like the best way to be organised about it. also more standard metas would be good, like standard or modern or even legacy i suppose (although i have never played the format) just because random obscure metas may be fun but i dunno, they shouldn't be a regular thing.

sppf username: palingensia
    cockatrice username: TEA_DEMON

i don't like poisonous because infect is a thing, basically. finding a theme is HARD.

I'm about to try and get on Trice if anybody wants to play or just chat.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

Serebii name: DucksGoMooful
    Cockatrice name: DucksGoMooful

If it's between Infect and Poisonous, I'm voting Infect, just because it has the Wither effect and it easier (due to it being more recent, I understand it better). Although I'm not sure if I'd want Infect or not at all. How does that play into the theme of the set? Is it another Phyrexia-related set?

Join the Nazi Zombies Club V3 today!
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1715-0227
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref
    Ibanez needs a less retarded naming structure.
    Ibanez RG7862FR87689.55(pi*sqrt(5x+(y^2)-(z/8)))

No when they were talking about making a set, I set we should do Poisonous because Infect is so overrated. and They work the same except no Wither effect and the opponent only gets the damage equal to the number of poisonous (EX, POisonous 3 only deals 3 Poison counters even if the creature is a 6/6).

So for this week we have

Serebii/Cocatrice
    Kamotz/Kamotz
    the3rdH0kage/the3rdH0kage
    palingensia/TEA_DEMON
    DucksGoMooful/DucksGoMooful

I can start getting the rounds set up. But I think I'll make a new thread for this.

Edit: I've created a thread for the tournaments and whatnot:

Here.

Monsters."

Put me in for next week. I need to build.
    SPP username: Phlogiston
    Cockatrice username: filthydegenerate

On the custom set thing...     Spoiler:- deets:
    Last edited by The Admiral; 11th January 2013 at 6:25 PM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue
    The usual links

I'd suggest creating a new thread for the creation of fan-sets and fan-cards.

I'd also warn against just throwing every conceivable mechanic into the set. Every set will usually have the simple things: Flying, Trample, First/Double Strike, Reach, Haste, Lifelink, Deathtouch, and whatever else I'm missing. But things like Shadow, Persist, and Infect defined ENTIRE blocks. And were never used in conjunction. You don't want to over-crowd the set with different mechanics. It makes it look very "thrown-together" and sloppy. And the more random mechanics you throw in, the less cohesive the set appears.

Monsters."

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    I'd suggest creating a new thread for the creation of fan-sets and fan-cards.
    Entirely fair. I'm putting that together. (e: Here's a place where you can weigh in -- there will probably be a new thread for the cards themselves when the time comes)

I'd also warn against just throwing every conceivable mechanic into the set. Every set will usually have the simple things: Flying, Trample, First/Double Strike, Reach, Haste, Lifelink, Deathtouch, and whatever else I'm missing. But things like Shadow, Persist, and Infect defined ENTIRE blocks. And were never used in conjunction. You don't want to over-crowd the set with different mechanics. It makes it look very "thrown-together" and sloppy. And the more random mechanics you throw in, the less cohesive the set appears.
    Good point. I'm not sure if persist fits very well with Shadow. I'm still keeping detain as a possibility, but I feel like it's simple enough and it could basically fit readily in most places -- though it might butt heads with flavor.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 11th January 2013 at 9:11 PM.
    The usual links

a ghost world sounds like a cool place to base a set, and that way we could have some good old colourless thrown in!

Quote Originally Posted by palingensia View Post
    a ghost world sounds like a cool place to base a set, and that way we could have some good old colourless thrown in!
    Yeah, this is good! Colourless ghosts from an alternate dimension! (I don't know :P)

Join the Nazi Zombies Club V3 today!
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1715-0227
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref
    Ibanez needs a less retarded naming structure.
    Ibanez RG7862FR87689.55(pi*sqrt(5x+(y^2)-(z/8)))

Colorless is really weird to run as a theme/mechanic, since it's mostly associated with the Eldrazi (and artifacts, of course -- different types of colorless, or something?), but there's also Ghostfire and similar stuff. For reference, here's everything with "ghost" in its name that currently exists pre-GTC. (Copying this to the other thread.)

Speaking of GTC, am I the only person who actually kind of likes Five-Alarm Fire? It's dumb, yeah, but it's at least a funny kind of dumb. Plus, it basically plays itself.
    The usual links

Five-Alarm Fire can definitely be a good Limited card. I'd pick it in Draft if I was going Boros or Gruul. Definitely.

Also, Boros Charm, most busted one ever? Very likely. And Aurelia's Fury seems...wow. Not sure if it replaces Bonfire though...definitely doesn't accomplish the same thing. I'm also not sure if I like it more than Clan Defiance...And fitting all 3 into Naya is going to be...tough.

Monsters."

Boros charm is hugely different from other charms because it's based on effects that, traditionally, cost 1C instead of just C, with C being the appropriate colored mana symbol. Some of them may even be more expensive. tl;dr it's just plain nutty.

Aurelia's Fury is flat-out nuts. Most of the time, playing it will probably net you the game.
    The usual links

And just like that, Boros went from arguably worst guild in the set to top tier GTC guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Colorless is really weird to run as a theme/mechanic, since it's mostly associated with the Eldrazi (and artifacts, of course -- different types of colorless, or something?), but there's also Ghostfire and similar stuff. For reference, here's everything with "ghost" in its name that currently exists pre-GTC. (Copying this to the other thread.)

Speaking of GTC, am I the only person who actually kind of likes Five-Alarm Fire? It's dumb, yeah, but it's at least a funny kind of dumb. Plus, it basically plays itself.
    eldrazi can gtfo, i want more stuff like ghostfire.

and yeah five alarm fire is a cool card. not really rare worthy imo but still not bad.

A single mythic doesn't make it the best Guild. Best guild is determined by the Draft/Sealed deck events. And mythics rarely show up in those pools. If the past is any indication, there will only be a few Cobstructed-playable cards in the entire set. Right now there's no real "Guild deck". Even Rakdos aggro isn't actually a Rakdos deck. In fact there are very few RTR cards in it. Same with Selesnya and Azorius aggro.

Monsters."

i think gruul is looking like the best guild in limited. huge monsters that can also be used for cheap and powerful effects are not bad whatsoever. i suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the 1-3 drops are like because atm i don't think we know any.

eldrazi can gtfo, i want more stuff like ghostfire.
    Same here. Eldrazi were kind of... ehhhh. Then again, I briefly played Standard when ROE was just coming in and everyone was playing "Oh, is it turn three? I'm about due for Summoning Trap-ing into Emrakul."

Or actually ramping into it which was also really nasty.

and yeah five alarm fire is a cool card. not really rare worthy imo but still not bad.
    Outside limited, I'd definitely agree -- this would suck to open as a rare.
    The usual links

So I went to FNM and had to leave before it started, so he said I could have my money back, but I asked if I could get 3 packs instead he said yeah. So I gt a M13 and RTR pack. M13 Rare was something random. RTR Rare was a foily Angel of Serenity. Sold it and bought a few more packs. Rares from the packs are as follows. M13 Rares. Boundless Realms, Staff of Nin, and Worldfire. RTR Rares are as follows Loxodon Smither, Rest in Peace, and another non-foil Angel of Serenity. hehehe great pulls. I also bought a few smaller things to make my deck better.

Sounds quite solid. I haven't really seen anyone with a Boundless Realms at all, come to think of it. It's like the card... never existed, not where I live.
    The usual links

I'm trying to find the odds of getting a Mythic Rare foil in RTR.

We're accepting FNM #2 signups in the Serebii MTG League thread.

Monsters."

Hey they annoucned the Event Decks for Gatecrash!!! The guilds that will be represented are Boros and Simic. It is confirmed that the Boros deck will have Boros Legion in it!!! So I'm def going Boros for GTC and maybe Dragon's Maze. Anyway here is the link to the page.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...Farcana%2F1146

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast