Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

Why is one of the event decks nowadays always red?
    Not complaining. Just pointing it out.

I guess it's just kind of easy to build red, honestly.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Red is the intro color. It's the best way to teach people to play MtG. There are fewer complicated interactions and the basic premise behind a Red deck is "Turn it sideways."

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

It also tends to go really fast, which I'd imagine is also very appealing. None of this faffing around with waiting and planning!

(No offense. I like a good RDW. And to be fair, there is still some strategizing -- are you better off just smacking your opponent in the face for 3 with your Searing Spear, or should you hit one of their creatures?)

Incidentally, if either has their associated dual land or other good stuff, I might pick one of them up.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 15th January 2013 at 3:05 AM.

The usual links

should be a clifftop retreat or sacred foundry or (gasp) both!! seriously if they came with a shock+inn dual each they'd be pretty sweet. maybe a couple of playsets of sweet utility spells or something.

Yeah. I mostly want the lands, though, since I'm putting together Animar in real life and am planning to re-build Kaalia. Other stuff is pretty much just icing on the cake. Especially if Simic carries some of its better Evolvers, Delver, etc., and if Boros is packing the Charm.

The usual links

If the Rakdos and Golgari decks were any indication, there will (probably) be a Tapland included in the deck, possibly with the utility lands as well. That would mean Boros gets Clifftop Retreat and Slayers' Stronghold while Simic gets Hinterland Harbor and Alchemist's Refuge.

Which is good, because the Innistrad taplands are hard to find and are worth about $10-12 each (it also makes me wonder what will happen when Innistrad rotates out of Standard. We'll have the M10-13 Taplands but not the Innistrad ones. Decks will suddenly be all out of wack).

Monsters."

But we have shocklands now. Back when we had Innistrad Taplands, we also had the Mirrodin duals (which didn't cover everything, granted) but one rotating out had the other rotating in. I doubt we'll have a serious mana flounder.

Yes. But we have 10 shocklands and 10 taplands. Once Innistrad rotates out we lose 5 of the taplands and we get a mana imbalance. Unless they print another set of enemy-colored taplands, or reprint the Innistrad ones in a core set...

But then they're flooding Modern with all these new dual lands. We've already got tons of duals in Modern, I don't see them adding even more. That's half the reason they reprinted the Shocklands, so as not to flood Modern with duals.

Monsters."

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...9&d=1358282802
    Well this card is fun. I was hoping that eventually they would make a card that could penetrate Shroud or opponent's Hexproof, and they've finally done it. Wow. I want like 12 of these. So much fun :P

Join the Nazi Zombies Club V3 today!
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1715-0227
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref
    Ibanez needs a less retarded naming structure.
    Ibanez RG7862FR87689.55(pi*sqrt(5x+(y^2)-(z/8)))

Unfortunately it doesn't penetrate Shroud. Just Hexproof. But still...

Geist of Saint Traft, meet Pillar of Flame. Pillar of Flame, meet Geist of Saint Traft...

or

"So, Traft, I hear you've never met a kill spell before. Can I ask you to stand riiiight here under this spotlight for a second? Thanks."

Monsters."

So, this cycle's new hate card is born?

Though these are useful, they are always a pain to release. It's never easy for you to admit you are wrong, and for them to release a card that says "Yeah, we screwed up, take this band-aid and hope our screw up doesn't get worse"

I didn't know Traft was still as big a threat as he was before rotation though. Isn't this coming kinda late?
    It's still gonna be sideboarded by everyone and their mother, but if this came out in AVR it would have been SO much the better.

I don't think it's a bandaid. It's just a way to deal with it. They knew Hexproof was powerful, and it was only a matter of time before they printed a way to deal with it.

Traft just got 1st and 2nd at Grand Prix Atlantic City last weekend. Both 1st and 2nd were running (almost) identical Bant Hexproof-Aura decks. Geist and Invisible Stalker were the all-stars in that deck, combined with Silverblade Paladin, Increasing Savagery, Spectral Flight, Rancor, and Ethereal Armor making them just too much to deal with. And there are just so few ways for the meta to deal with hexproof creatures that just get bigger and bigger. After a while, not even Bonfire and Mizzium Mortars can deal with them.

It's just ironic that this card came out 2 days after that deck took 1st and 2nd at a GP.

I think it'll be just as good. It deals with Lazav, Sigarda, Geist, Stalker, and Simic Charm.

Unfortunately, against everything else it's a pretty dead card. Not sure if I'd want it in my 75 unless Hexproof creatures become a huge problem.

Monsters."

I'd keep it SB just in case you get a deck with Traft in it, I've been screwed over multiple times because that damn ghost.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

I'd just prefer cloning a Legendary Creature (Hexproof one) over something like the spotlight. The Clone (or Evil Twin) gives you versatility. I guess Spotlight's second effect is okay...but I think people are getting hyped over Spotlight like they were getting hyped over Chromatic Lantern. They were nuts for a while. But it really doesn't make all that much difference.

Monsters."

Oh, cool, now I can Victim of Night Geist, I guess?

This is going to be the next Grafdigger's Cage or Torpor Orb -- in that it'll be around five bucks or more when it comes out, and then will drop down to around a dollar within a not-very-long time and be played mostly in niche places. (Or perhaps not!)

The usual links

They've spoiled 5 cards for M14 guys. There awesome there called Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. They look like there going to be great cards in the Meta. lol I had to do that. But anyway the picture I've seen of M14 has a really awesome (and pissed-off) looking Chandra.

cage and torpor orb are definitely sb cards. "hexproof creatures" is waaaaaaaay too narrow for sb unless this hexproof auras deck becomes more than a one-off thing.

It allows you to drop a removal spell on Geist of Saint Traft and

does what else (relevant) now?

Yes, it'll be worthy as an SB card, but they probably could just reprint Extinction and it would be about as good.

The usual links

It allows for an unblockable Alpha-strike for 3 mana (total)...that's about the extent of what it does.

I really like Merciless Eviction. I think Esper will be very happy with it. It's got a much higher mana costs than most wrath effects, but it's more akin to Planar Cleansing and Terminus...Both of which still get played.

Monsters."

yeah but terminus can cost 1 mana... that is slightly big upside. i really like this wrath though; i've been thinking we need a final judgement reprint ever since geralf's messenger was printed. if only it was choose two...

does planar cleansing actually get played? that is a surprise.

Eh, I probably typed that out wrong. I look back and can't figure out why I said it. Terminus gets played, sure, but Clensing...yeah...dunno what I was thinking.

Monsters."

So I may be going to FNM tomorrow. My mom is taking my sister and her friends out (again) to see a movie, so I'll go compete. If I leave early opefully I'll get lucky again and get some crazy insane pull.

so gatecrash is pretty spicy looking.

Yeah, it is. What guild is everyone playing? I'm going Orzhov.

Join the Nazi Zombies Club V3 today!
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1715-0227
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref
    Ibanez needs a less retarded naming structure.
    Ibanez RG7862FR87689.55(pi*sqrt(5x+(y^2)-(z/8)))

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast