Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    Here's another question for everyone:

What are your favorite decks (that you made)? From any format, season, past or present.
    My favourite is probably my very first Maelstrom Wanderer deck. That was really good, no one could beat it, but everyone still had fun. Otherwise, my favourite decks were a WUB draft deck I made in M13 with Exalted and Arctic Aven (it was awesome, also included Ring of Thune and Warclamp Mastiff, so awesome); and the deck I made at the Gatecrash prerelease, using Extort splashing red for Aurelia. Won me a lot of games and was also fun to play.

I love decks that are super fun, even if they're not necessarily very good.

Join the Nazi Zombies Club V3 today!
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1715-0227
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref
    Ibanez needs a less retarded naming structure.
    Ibanez RG7862FR87689.55(pi*sqrt(5x+(y^2)-(z/8)))

Here's another question for everyone:

What are your favorite decks (that you made)? From any format, season, past or present.
    My Gruul and Monogreen are my favourites currently.
    My Gruul deck has the potential to be very obnoxious fun with all the bloodrush.
    (Oh you take 4? Oh I'm sorry I mean 10 /w doublestrike, hexproof & unblockable GG. Oh Magical Christmasland.)
    The Gruul Champion in DTM Ruric Thar is gonna make this deck even more fun too, I cannot wait.
    And my monogreen deck, if allowed, can go ALL THE MANA Primal Surge really early, or ALL THE MANA Worldspine Wurm, or NOT ENOUGH MANA Sylvan Primordial + Conjurer's Closet. How obnoxious fun!

Yeah, I like obnoxious fun decks.
    Last edited by swampertforever; 4th April 2013 at 8:50 PM.
    Fizzy Bubbles Profile/My lil' Cable Club Post/PASBL
    C+ Grade Ref

Hey you!
    Do you like battling? Do you like Anime battles? Want to try it yourself? Well, why not
    Get started in the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    Any questions about PASBL? Well, ask them here!

I have a reanimator deck I've been thinking about, Griselbrand on T4 with Unburial Rites. But my favorite deck was probably my Junk Tokens or my really old mono-black Vampire deck. and EDH my Darigaaz the Igniter deck.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

So, Serebii-ers, who's planning on attending their local FNMs tonight?

With a brand new month comes a brand new promo. April's FNM Promo is Call of the Conclave. A card that's seeing a bit more play in recent Bant Delver decks.

Are you going? What will you be playing? What decks to you suspect you'll be up against this week?

Me? I'll be on the Naya Midrange warpath tonight. Testing a few changes to the deck in anticipation of tomorrow's 1K event. I expect to see quite a bit of Aggro tonight, and definitely some Reanimator too. I'm going to try and shore up all my matches for tomorrow's event and make the appropriate tweaks between the two.

====

Quote Originally Posted by the3rdH0kage View Post
    I have a reanimator deck I've been thinking about, Griselbrand on T4 with Unburial Rites. But my favorite deck was probably my Junk Tokens or my really old mono-black Vampire deck. and EDH my Darigaaz the Igniter deck.
    Junk (GWB) Reanimator is a very strong deck right now. The ability to churn out early-turn Lingering Souls into Craterhoof Behemoth and Angel of Serenity is INSANE.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Yeah, a friend of mine is buying the shops last Avacyn box, so if he gets any Griselbrand I will be getting those from him. But I sadly can't attend FNM tonight as I have a competition early in the morning and can't stay up until 12 or 1 when I have to be at my school at 7.

Maybe next week I'll be able to go, but last night I had a concert so I couldn't.

Hi! I am a very new player getting into the game and just starting visiting FNM with a friend to watch and learn the game. For the most part I know all of the rules and basics and can play.
    But I can't really get myself into Standard..thankfully there are other alternatives just not as commonly played I hear. So I was hoping to get some advice on the other formats besides Standard and Decks I could think of playing. I know quite a few decks and I have some favorites I have played just not sure how they fair.

Play EDH/ Commander it's probably one of the best multiplayer formats. But anyway, I'm still working on Naya Aggro. There are a few things I'll be getting when I go to my shop. I'll also be preordering a Dragon's Maze booster box with my money left over from NYC.
    Last edited by the3rdH0kage; 11th April 2013 at 2:36 PM.

Went to a draft on Friday. Didn't too too well. Won the first game with almost no problems, but the other games were a challenge. I wasn't getting many good cards in any of the packs I opened or was passed. A good rare or two at most, but nothing else of note that helped me. I came in about 6/8 in my pod, but I got the promo Firemane Avenger, so that was alright. I also bought some packs and got Assemble the Legion which I love.

So what do you guys think of the Dragon's Maze previews so far? I'm personally enjoying them. I love most of the champions (though I'm not really feeling the Rakdos or Azorius ones) and the Selesnya mythic really has my attention, as well as the Simic and Rakdos ones. Ral Zarek is pretty cool to me, so I'd like one of him at least but I won't go out of my way to get him.

So my LGS had a free Pack Wars tournament yesterday, and the people participating was me and 3 friends, rules of the turnament was, you couldn't look at your pack before the tournament and you got 3 of each basic land.

R1-Aganist a friend that in Constructed we share a very similar playstyle.

R1 G1:
    He manged to get a one drop out. My turn I played a land (nothin I could play). Followed this way until T3 when I got something out, and on his 4th turn he One-Thousand lashed my guy. My turn nhothign special waiting to hit a green mana source for something, then on his turn hw got out a Skyknight Leggionaire. Got me to 10 life, then I hit an Angelic Edict to get rid of his Legionnare. Then ended up winning a few turns after that.

R1 G2:
    Nothing really big until about T6when I hit a Ripscale Predator and he only had one creature, so won pretty quick.

R2 G1: Ended up playing a friend who is really good at the game.

Had to mulligan down to 5 because lack of spells. But anyway he only hit Basilica Guards, while I played Ripscale Predator T6. Since he couldn't block adn only had a defender out, I won pretty quickly.

R2 G2:

Kept my hand at 7 with 4 lands, a creature (Biovisionary), and 2 Sorcerys (Angelic Edict and Sheilded Passage). He hit a creature on T2. While I wasn't stuck utnil about T6 because lack of Green. So finally I was able to hit Biovisionary at 14 life. Then hit Ivy Strret Denizen.
    Then as normal Ripscale later in the game. Took my opponent down to 2 life, then a removal spell got ris of Ripscale, but a Massive Raid hit when I had 2 creatures. So won and got a pack. Pulled the White Primordial guy completing my set of the Primordials.

Friday again!

It's been a while since we've talked about our FNM plans. Who's going? What are you playing? Any cards you're looking forward to casting tonight? Any weird brews? Any cards you can't wait to build with when Dragon's Maze is legal?

Let us know!

Monsters."

Izzet is getting the shaft again. Bad. Its like, their cards all suck... While the other guilds have at least a few redeeming cards even if they as a whole arent the best (Dimir, for example), Izzet is getting the shaft left and right. High costs for crap cards and crappy, situational effects.

Leaves me angry, since I love the UR color combo... And Izzet is lore-wise one of my fav guilds
    I mean, they even got the ONE Planeswalker of this set, and they're still boring.
    On Ral Zarek itself: Too soon to pass judgement. His +1 doesn't really fit with the Standard environment as is, though, does it?

The other cards, though, are awesome. Warleader's Helix is... straight out bad when compared to its progenitor, but in this environment it does its job without making Naya even more OP.

Simic, Rakdos and Golgari, though?
    Those guilds are making me fall in love with them. And Selesnya, too, especially with its WG Elemental.

Friday again!

It's been a while since we've talked about our FNM plans. Who's going? What are you playing? Any cards you're looking forward to casting tonight? Any weird brews? Any cards you can't wait to build with when Dragon's Maze is legal?

Let us know!
    If I get to do the Prerelease , I hope my Gruul decks secret ally is either Boros or Rakdos. I half want to make my Gruul deck currently to BRG, just so I can bloodrush Master of Cruelties. Selesnya to me is on a seesaw, to put it bluntly. On one hand, Voice of Resergence. On the other, Emmara.

And of course, there is a bunch of "lol fun build around me!" cards. Make ALL the decks!
    Fizzy Bubbles Profile/My lil' Cable Club Post/PASBL
    C+ Grade Ref

Hey you!
    Do you like battling? Do you like Anime battles? Want to try it yourself? Well, why not
    Get started in the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    Any questions about PASBL? Well, ask them here!

You don't need to Bloodrush Master of Cruelties he has First Strike and Deathtouch but he can't deal combat damage. So after opponents life hits one he become essentially a dead card except for some spot removal in blocking. And on your fullback if you Gruul your alley can be Izzet, Golgari,Selesnya, and Rakdos. Your allied guild pack is a guild that shares a color and is from the other set. set So Gruul from Gatecrash can't be allies with Boros, Sonic and of course Gruul. The ally is from Return to Ravnica, I wish it was the ally pack could be from the set, since I'm going Boros and Orzhov and may be attending a 3rd event and going Rakdos.

Quote Originally Posted by the3rdH0kage View Post
    Your allied guild pack is a guild that shares a color and is from the other set.
    Right! I had totally forgotten about that caveat to the guild-alliance.

Monsters."

Just as a question, but I'm building an Izzet-colored deck at the moment, getting some spells and dragons. I got Epic Experiment in a booster, luckily enough, but I was wondering; if you have Goblin Electromancer out on the field when you play a spell card, such as EE, that has an "X" for a cost, does Electromancer's ability technically boost it by 1, or no?

Also, any suggestions for additional cards?

Spoiler:- Credits:

I have claimed Chance by UVERworld!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Trainer X View Post
    Just as a question, but I'm building an Izzet-colored deck at the moment, getting some spells and dragons. I got Epic Experiment in a booster, luckily enough, but I was wondering; if you have Goblin Electromancer out on the field when you play a spell card, such as EE, that has an "X" for a cost, does Electromancer's ability technically boost it by 1, or no?

Also, any suggestions for additional cards?
    Yes. You declare the value of X when you cast it, and Goblin Electromancer reduces the amount you have to pay by 1. So if you've got 11 mana extra (after the R and U), you can technically cast it for 12 + UR.

What is the deck, incidentally? Izzet-colored doesn't really say very much.

Monsters."

Mmhmm I'm talking to some friends, senior prom is next Saturday so a bunch of us going will probably go and get our cards then leave to go get ready for prom. But I may stay and compete in an round or 2

Yes. You declare the value of X when you cast it, and Goblin Electromancer reduces the amount you have to pay by 1. So if you've got 11 mana extra (after the R and U), you can technically cast it for 12 + UR.

What is the deck, incidentally? Izzet-colored doesn't really say very much.
    Oh, this is gonna work so well...

I'm trying to make a deck for Mountain, Island, and Mountain/Island cards. Anything blue and red would work, like this Chandra card I have my eyes on at the moment. But other than maybe a planeswalker or two, I'm working on getting some spell cards that would work with some Electromancers.

Right...but there needs to be synergy in the deck, not just a clutch of 60 Red/Blue cards thrown together. There needs to be a gameplan and way for the cards to work together.

Monsters."

Right...but there needs to be synergy in the deck, not just a clutch of 60 Red/Blue cards thrown together. There needs to be a gameplan and way for the cards to work together.
    I know. Mine is going to be based around spells and additions. While I've got Electromancers and Hypersonic Dragons to make them cheaper and available easier, there's also Guttersnipes and other creatures that give bonuses each time I use one. I'm just seeing if there's any other ones that would work in this plan.

You need to be able to get more costly spells out faster with Aggro being so rampant in the meta. Run 4 Goblin Electromancer to make your non-creature spells cheaper. 4 Mizzium Mortars for some spot removal and if you get the overload off can be a possible board wipe (especially against aggro). 4x Guttersnipes, at least 2 Chandra, the Firebrand. A few Dual Castings, maybe a few Increasing Vengeance. Searing Spear is great for removal. Try Izzet Charm for some counter and it can help with Cycling. Dissipate is counter, Syncopate can help with things like Sphinx's Revelation, Bonfire of the Damned and other things with X in mana cost. Try Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius as a nice ping or card draw, but a 5/5 Flyer is always nice.

Yeah, for spell-heavy decks, I'd go:

16-18 Creatures
    4x Goblin Electromancer
    2-4x Guttersnipe
    2x Talrand
    4x Delver of Secrets
    4x Snapcaster Mage

18 Instants/Sorceries
    3x Think Twice
    3x Izzet charm
    4x Searing Spear
    3x Dissipate
    1x Syncopate
    2x Cyclonic Rift
    2x Mizzium Mortars

2 Planeswalkers
    2x Chandra, the Firebrand

22 Land
    4x Sulfur Falls
    4x Steam Vents
    2x Izzet Guildgate
    1x Desolate Lighthose
    7x Island
    5x Mountain

Monsters."

Okay, thanks for the help! Also, two more ideas that may help...

Would adding a couple Epic Experiments (since I have them) and Elixer of Immortality's be a good idea? With Electromancer(s), I can intensify it's effect and make a bunch or spells at once, then go and reshuffle them into my deck with anything else I may need.

Again with the Electromancers (I know, it's getting annoying), can they be used for effects like Overload, Flashback, etc. as well?

It works with both since your casting them, Overload is just a alternative cost with a generally better effect. and Flashback is recasting the spell so any Guttersnipe abilities will trigger but I'm not sure about Electromancer.

and Elixir of Immortality is almost a staple in sideboards in decks that isn't aggro. It gains life, and protects against decking out unless it gets milled. and I can't remember Epic Expirement's effect and deckbuilding is my weak point (especially in control). So I'm going to give you the best advice I can think of. Ask Kamotz.

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast