Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

I can't wait, I started right after Slivers quit being in Standard (from after Alara before Zendikar came out). so I never played with them until I got into the game and learned aout the different game formats and some people showed me Slivers. So it will be cool to experience them in the Standard format.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...y/feature/248e
    So what do you think of these changes? I personally like them.

Join the Nazi Zombies Club V3 today!
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1715-0227
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref
    Ibanez needs a less retarded naming structure.
    Ibanez RG7862FR87689.55(pi*sqrt(5x+(y^2)-(z/8)))

Legend Rule: Yyyyyyyes and no. Mostly no. From a flavor stance, this is out-and-out ludicrous. There is no reason why a clone of that unique character should just disappear in a puff of logic just because there are two on your side, but you and another player can both control the same exact Melek. Glad they didn't clear up the "time paradox" version where you can have Teysa from now and Teysa from way in the past, though.

Planeswalker Rule: See above.

Sideboards: I'm okay with this. It makes life easier, just as I'm going to have to dump my Standard deck anyway because everyone will be running Ratchet Bomb.

Keyword Indestructible: "Gains indestructible," "has indestructible." These sound really, really crappy. "Indestructibility" might be better, but it might also be clunky. However, it also means that indestructibility now interacts with Spoiling the way it logically should.

"Can't be blocked": The meaning is preserved, but I think it looks clunkier.

Land plays: This is similar to a lot of simplifications made to rules in instances of "the players just don't think about it." It has its ups and downs for the same reasons.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

So I was asked to go down to Prestonburgh Kentucky with 4 of the other competitive players as a team on Saturday for a TCGPlayer Bronze event. So this week is testing, editing, revising, and stuff like that. Main changes so far (Kamotz has seen the list) moved 1 Boros Charm to Main from side because it I need it I had it almost every time today, and I'm putting in 3 Reckless Waif for Side against the Control matchup.

So, as discussed in the League thread, I was thinking about creating a set of NPC decks for people to play against on Cockatrice, mimicking the Duels of the Planeswalkers games for iPad/Steam/Xbox/PS3/etc. Instead of competitive Standard decks, each deck would be more casual-based. With a specific "theme" in mind during the deckbuilding. I've already made a bunch of decklists, first focusing on the many Planeswalkers we have, then on other themes: Avacyn's Church, Vampires, the 10 Guilds, etc.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Magma Jet was spoiled for Theros, and I got really excited.

And then, they spoiled Thoughtseize...

I haven't kept up much with the spoilers until now, but here are my comments on the new mechanics.
    • Scry is the returning mechanic? Good lord. That could basically be an evergreen, as could Cycling.
    • Devotion is a very specific variant on Chroma. Ehhhh, could be worse.
    • Bestow seems simple enough. I kind of like it, but it will live and die by what cards have it.
    • Monstrosity: Also very simple, and also will live and die by the cards that have it. I was kind of nonplussed by the hydra, but Shipbreaker seems pretty good.
    • Heroic: Can't say much about this except that it too will depend on what the cards have for it. It seems like an okay trigger, though, but it also means you can probably crap out a bunch of cheap auras on something to move in for a game-ending strike. (I suppose that's the point, though.)

The usual links

So they spoiled one of the Gods, pretty awesome. Also spoiled was the new Elspeth , Thoughseize is awesome. Theros is looking to be an awesome set, but I said that about DGM and yeah it wasn't exactly set that made the RTR block what it was.

Thoughtseize reprint is great for many, many reasons. I hope the price drops a lot.

Not that I want to hurt investors, mind. But cheap prices help the health of the game's tournament formats and reduce entry barriers for certain decks.

Also, there's this. Because what we really need is a one-cost Journey to Nowhere.

The usual links

Thoughseive will get new art which will for the most part, keep the original priniting the same price. Anyway to pass the time I'm building a Grixis mill deck. It is pretty much Dimir but I'm throwing in a few Red guys to have some fun.

Im not really fancying theros at all, sseems like it will play a little boring
    I really see a Kamigawa 2.0 here, despite all that assuring that "this time it would be different"

Really? I think it might get quite interesting. I didn't really play competitively back during the Kamigawa block, but that was when I started my first big magic Hiatus. The problem with Kamigawa was the huge complexity of the card (at least for me). Different keywords, huge blocks of texts, etc. Since then, R&D has been quite good at streamlining the accessibility and complexity of their cards.

In terms of flavor, Theros looks to be as thick with it as Innistrad, which took the top-down Gothic Horror tropes and ran with them very well. It still felt like Magic, but it also had its own, unique feel to it. Keep in mind we've also only seen 75 of the cards (and that's including the 20 basic lands). So 55/229. That's only about 1/4. If you look at any 25% of a set, it's bound to seem a bit lackluster and disjointed. But we've already seen some solid removal, some really interesting creatures, SCRY(!!!), and Thoughtsieze(!!!).

Monsters."

I didn't even know about Magic during the Kamigawa block. That was my Yugioh phase hehe. But Theros looks like an awesome set. I'm hoping for Dack to not suck as a Planeswalker.

Odds are, he'll be either really, really good or really, really bad. It seems like Wizards hasn't been striking a decent balance between the two lately.

Also, this card is pretty hilarious.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by The Admiral View Post
    Odds are, he'll be either really, really good or really, really bad. It seems like Wizards hasn't been striking a decent balance between the two lately.

Also, this card is pretty hilarious.
    I dunno. Ral is pretty ok. Neither Ajani 3, Chandra 4, or Garruk 4 is really really good nor really really bad.

Monsters."

Most of the Standard PWs aren't either really really good or really really bad. Except Tibalt, because he is just bad.

I actually liked Hundred-Handed One,cause he is an obvious incarnation of the titan Hecatoncheires, one of my favorite mythological figures (of whom I know next to nothing)

Quote Originally Posted by the3rdH0kage View Post
    Most of the Standard PWs aren't either really really good or really really bad. Except Tibalt, because he is just bad.
    Uh...Liliana of the Veil? Domri Rade? Garruk, Primal Hunter?

Monsters."

Going back to my statement on me not liking Theros, the one thing (gameplay wise) that I look forward to using is a Scry-focused deck. The fact that it seems like not only blue, but ALL colors are getting some interplay with scry kinda makes me even more excited. Maybe I'll make a blue/black deck that doesn't suck!

Quote Originally Posted by niedude View Post
    I actually liked Hundred-Handed One,cause he is an obvious incarnation of the titan Hecatoncheires, one of my favorite mythological figures (of whom I know next to nothing)
    Yeah, it's pretty good at that. But I guess the idea that its Monstruous form very specifically can block up to 100 creatures that's really, really amusing to me.

Five new cards spoiled today. Nighthowler seems pretty good among Mortivore-type creatures.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    Uh...Liliana of the Veil? Domri Rade? Garruk, Primal Hunter?

Lili is great is most decks. But Domri and Garruk are both based on the stack of cards around them.

Yes. You have to base the Standard-playability of Planeswalkers on the Standard-playable environment. And in this Standard Environment, certain Planeswalkers just stand out from the rest. I mean...you wouldn't play Liliana in a mono-black Aggro deck. Or in Reanimator (you could, but space is tight). And you wouldn't play Domri in Jund. Or Jace, AoT in a Nivix Cyclops build. That doesn't detract from their playability and value. The only planeswalker you could jam in just about anything and get great value from was JtMS. Everything else is conditional upon the other cards.

Monsters."

Monsters."

That's a pretty nice +1, which is probably what I'd end up using the most on him, perhaps more than with any other walker.

Stormbreath Dragon seems alright, too, although it's definitely not Thundermaw.

The usual links

Well the Dual lands for that are reveled are pretty basic lol. They are just Guildgates that have Scry1.

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast