Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

I pulled a foil Battle of Wits.

... okay, and a Garruk. And my prize packs had a Nocturnus!
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

koolio i need to get a list of cards in m13 to edit my deck.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

So anyone else in this thread into alternate formats?

I am personally a pretty interested in the following (all of which are actual formats that have been played at the Pro Tour Invitational at one time, or are/WERE available on MTGO):

Core Set Constructed (make a deck using only core set cards) (I actually thought up of 2 variants on this ruleset as well)

Build Your Own Standard ( pick any 2 blocks and any 1 core set for your card pool)

Block Party (like block constructed only everyone gets to use whatever block they want)

And in combination with one of the above formats, standard, modern or extended:

Singleton (you can only have one of each card in your deck. I prefer the 60 cards version)

Build Your Own Standard mixed with Singleton seems like it could have one of the largest viable cardpools of any format*. Core Set Constructed seems cool because it strips the game down to the basics.

Maybe I just like them because I'm weird.

* it does make a small amount of cards useless, mostly a lot of black "extraction" type spells, but I don't think the game suffers too much from their removal.
    Last edited by Zazie; 9th July 2012 at 4:33 PM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

i like the idea of standard singleton or standard pauper, but have never really been motivated enough to try it out.

What, exactly, are the restrictions for Pauper? No rares/MRs? I can never remember. Also I would be pretty okay with playing a Core Set Standard. Would that be just one core set, or a series thereof, or?

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    What, exactly, are the restrictions for Pauper? No rares/MRs? I can never remember. Also I would be pretty okay with playing a Core Set Standard. Would that be just one core set, or a series thereof, or?
    Pauper is all commons. Unlike the format I mentioned it is actually pretty well played too, I have some friends who were playing the format at one point. Legacy pauper even has a serious metagame online.

It is modification of Peasant which allowed you to have 5 uncommons and has kind of usurped it in popularity. There is also a format some people have been trying to push called silverblack, which is commons and uncommons only as well but it doesn't have official recognition in any form.

As for core set constructed it allows cards from any coreset, but being an MTGO format that means core sets from 7e onwards. I believe a paper version would be 7e and on as well to avoid stuff like dark ritual or vampiric tutor.

(A lot of people have said that they would have preferred it to be 1 core set only and I agree that it seems more interesting that way)
    Last edited by Zazie; 12th July 2012 at 3:06 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:

Hey people, someone just recently pointed out to me that this subforums exists, I had no idea. So I've been playing Magic on and off for quite a while, I started when Masks of Mercadia was coming out, then quit and got back into during Zendikar block.

After that I quit again and came back for Innistrad, this time digital only as playing paper Magic is not really an option anymore. I play on Magic Online, but I don't buy much and the stuff I have is mostly from friends/beta incentives. I do have a competitive Pauper deck and some semi-decent Standard decks though. Fenix7 is my MTGO name.

My colour preference goes like this: Blue > Black >> Red >>>> White >> Green. I like milling, counterspells, and control/combo strategies. I own a ton of Magic cards and +95% of them are in Italian. Dunno what I'll do with them.

I was told I should post here as I play M:tG. I basically play whenever I can, and I have a whole bunch of cards lol. I haven't ever bought single cards because I have pretty good luck with booster packs (yeah, I've gotten a few Planeswalkers, and so many mythics, hahah). Idk what there really is to say, I like making decks and playing hahah. I have a pretty awesome deck I've been using recently, it's three colors and focuses on Annihilator and level-up cards.
    Also, I played in an Avacyn Restored release tournament...I made top ten I won the heck out of that promo card, and I got three mythics that day, including one Planeswalker.
    So, there ya go I guess xD hopefully there'll actually be something to talk about, hahah.
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

YAYZ more people that play M:tG.

I play with my friends, the closest card shop is like two hours away.. So I buy cards from WalMart and ChannelFireball. I wish I could get people together to play in my vicinity though
    Pittsburgh Steelers Rule
    ~Music is like Candy; You Just Gotta Throw Out the Rappers~
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says, ‘If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father in the gates of Heaven.’

Yeah somebody that plays and a Steelers fan I thought I was the only one. But anyway I'm going to try to go to FNM either this week or next.

lol fenix, i've seen you on the wizards forum a fair bit and wondered why you never post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Hey people, someone just recently pointed out to me that this subforums exists, I had no idea. So I've been playing Magic on and off for quite a while, I started when Masks of Mercadia was coming out, then quit and got back into during Zendikar block.

After that I quit again and came back for Innistrad, this time digital only as playing paper Magic is not really an option anymore. I play on Magic Online, but I don't buy much and the stuff I have is mostly from friends/beta incentives. I do have a competitive Pauper deck and some semi-decent Standard decks though. Fenix7 is my MTGO name.
    I remember we talked about MTGO awhile back and since then I found another way of playing MTGO called Cockatrice. It's free, too! I haven't gotten around to playing on it yet though since I was just recently told about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    My colour preference goes like this: Blue > Black >> Red >>>> White >> Green. I like milling, counterspells, and control/combo strategies. I own a ton of Magic cards and +95% of them are in Italian. Dunno what I'll do with them.
    My preference used to be the exact opposite (well, blue and black were switched) until the last time I got back into Magic. Now it looks a lot more like your list (except I prefer red to black by just a bit).

Quote Originally Posted by emogirl View Post
    I was told I should post here as I play M:tG. I basically play whenever I can, and I have a whole bunch of cards lol. I haven't ever bought single cards because I have pretty good luck with booster packs (yeah, I've gotten a few Planeswalkers, and so many mythics, hahah). Idk what there really is to say, I like making decks and playing hahah. I have a pretty awesome deck I've been using recently, it's three colors and focuses on Annihilator and level-up cards.
    Also, I played in an Avacyn Restored release tournament...I made top ten I won the heck out of that promo card, and I got three mythics that day, including one Planeswalker.
    So, there ya go I guess xD hopefully there'll actually be something to talk about, hahah.
    I haven't bought any booster packs in years. I prefer to buy singles now because I often know what cards I want for my decks. I used to love buying booster packs though. It's always tons of fun opening them up. I stopped buying them sometime before the Kamigawa block. That was probably my least favorite block.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

pock pock pock

I don't have too many color preferences myself. I will play anything as long as it is interesting to run. I am not that big of a red fan, but that's mostly because it doesn't have as many mechanics, which they are trying to fix. I would particularly like Black/Red to be a more flexible color combination too. I also wish certain color combinations particularly, black/white and blue red, have cheaper lands.

Watch me tumble stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by palingensia View Post
    lol fenix, i've seen you on the wizards forum a fair bit and wondered why you never post here.
    haha yeah I post on there quite a lot, especially in the YMTC forum. I didn't know sppf had a alt card section because I never looked in the space between misc and ovgd, everything in there has always been a "subforum I don't care about" . I haven't posted in ovgd for quite a while too, so even less reasons to scroll down lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarFreeJazz View Post
    I remember we talked about MTGO awhile back and since then I found another way of playing MTGO called Cockatrice. It's free, too! I haven't gotten around to playing on it yet though since I was just recently told about it.

My preference used to be the exact opposite (well, blue and black were switched) until the last time I got back into Magic. Now it looks a lot more like your list (except I prefer red to black by just a bit).
    Yeah I remember. I tried using one of the free programs for playing Magic Online, it was called OCTGN. Setting up a game and finding someone to play with was too much of an effort to be worth it, I find MTGO to be convenient enough, plus you don't have to spend money if you don't want to. I was also lucky enough to get into the closed beta for the new Magic Online, and everything is free there (though it wont be transferred to your main account).

I really have strong opinions on colors, there are decks like green/x ramp and white weenie that I can play, but I never have any fun playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    I also wish certain color combinations particularly, black/white and blue red, have cheaper lands.
    Dual lands in general are too expensive. Most of the decks I make end up having more expensive manabases than the cards themselves, which force me to play with basics and Evolving Wilds, and I get mana screwed far too often. I just wish WotC would reprint non-rare dual lands, I'd happily play the Zendikar uncommon dual lands in most of my decks.
    Last edited by Fenix; 17th July 2012 at 6:09 PM.

the coldsnap snow duals and zendikar lifelands are both playable for sure, not everyone has fetches+shocks or even m10 duals. i find that evolving wilds+basics is fine, with maybe the odd utility land or dual land singletons. it's casual man, who cares.

m10 duals are a lot cheaper now though because of the whole 4th reprinting thing so there are heaps around. $12 for a playset of dragonskull summit isn't bad, and is at the same level as most fringe playable standard cards / utility standard cards.

I had Evolving Wilds + basics in my R/W multiplayer trolling deck (which was basically Personal Sanctuary + Manabarbs, occasionally throwing out annoyances like Price of Glory and Balance). I sometimes don't even use Evolving Wilds.

And yeah, cheap duals are nice. I got my playset of Drowned Catacombs when they were about $4 each. Ick. Now they're below $2.50 a piece at TCGPlayer. Which still means you'll be paying about $4 each if you buy them at an actual brick-and-mortar outlet, because profit.

The usual links

yeah at least those duals are cheap. and then there's karoos and the zendikar duals and snow duals, which are all 50c each tops.

So guys - I'm busy on a Myrdrazi Deck - I'm fed up of people telling me to play Elfdrazi or this or that - when you're playing with friends and only semi-competitively, it isn't key - so I have a question.

I want to run it as R/G, for cards like Brood Birthing, Grwoth Spasm, the Zones, and Hatchers/Predators, along with my Myr, which consists of massive token spamming and Battlespheres. Overall ,it's working (in proxy form, as I'm missing a lot of multiple Eldrazi and expensive Eldrazi), but there is one flaw - It struggles against bounce decks and artifact removal. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can stop this?

I'm going to build a Black/White Sacrifice deck I've got 2 more Bloodflow Connosuers so that will work hopefully I'll post it when I finish building it.

Bloodflow sucks. One bounce spell and it loses all its counters. But if you really need to make a sacrifice deck, make it B/G, or B/R. Way more stuff with Morbid, and more sacrifice-based stuff. Not so much with White.

And then get Blood Artists. Lots of them. And Killing Wave.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

the counters isn't why bloodflow is good, the fact that it's a free sac outlet is why it's good.

I'm trying to get a playset of Blood Artists from a friend. This deck is taking longer then usual because I'm at Camp. But I will have 4 Tormented Souls, 4 Reassembling Skeletons, 4 Bloodflows until I can get some better stuff. 4 Mortis Dogs. Thats about all I have atm crea ture wise. I was also thinking of doing B/G because I have a bunch of Cheap stuff with undying so I figured that could help. Have you guys seen the new Return to Ravnica art. It looks insane!!!

I prefer the Unruly Mob/Village Cannibals/Skirsdag Flayer combo.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Throw in a Grave Pact while you're at it. I have an Elemental deck with Rage Thrower and Grave Pact. It's a lot of fun once you get them onto the field.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

pock pock pock

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast