Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

And if you're going to run the sacrifice deck as BG, you could probably use Grim Backwoods too. Disciple of Bolas would be good.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Hm... I've been experimenting with lots of decks since I'm on my Summer break at last.

I've been testing MyrDrazi, a Dragon deck that relies on giving you a ton of Dragon's that can't attack, and a deck which only has one purpose - to make you draw thirty six cards in one turn by turn six.

Yeah, I decided to go through some of the unused/excess cards of mine and I found a Cephalid Constable (now one of my favorite cards), so I decided to try and make a deck focused around him. I came up with this:

Land (20)
    4 Halimar Depths
    16 Island

Creatures (10)
    4 Cephalid Constable
    3 Silver Myr
    3 Myr Moonvessel

Other Spells (30)
    2 Artful Dodge
    3 Distortion Strike
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Infiltrator's Magemark
    4 Eel Umbra
    2 Curiosity
    4 Ponder
    4 Vapor Snag
    2 Boomerang
    4 Mana Leak

The idea is to keep them at bay until you can get Cephalid Contable onto the field. Once he's unblockable and can attack (which is hopefully by turn 4), just smash away until your opponent can't put cards out fast enough and you can hit their lands back.

On the sideboard I have

3 Turn Aside
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Spell Snare
    2 Index
    2 Ancestral Knowledge

Turn Aside, Mental Misstep, and Spell Snare are all insurance against burn and other counter/bounce decks. Ancestral Knowledge is a cheap attempt at a blue tutor.

Not to mention that 53/60 cards are commons.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

pock pock pock

Got a BUNCH of older cards today. Lorwyn, Shadowmoor, Planar Choas, Future Sight are the themes of the boxes then there were cards as old as Revised. In total 6 boxes+a deck box with a cool mono-green deck that would be Legacy now. (Origanal Garruk Wildspeaker!!!).
    Last edited by the3rdH0kage; 5th August 2012 at 2:05 AM.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

I had a friend trade me an Echo Mage, 3 Elvish Archdruid, 3 Guul Draz Assassin, and 4 Joraga Warcaller for a single Conjurer's Closet.

Monsters."

Koolio. I got bored after playing Halo and was looking through those old cards I got and built a Sliver deck. Problem is....... No Enchantments, Instants, Sorcerys etc.etc. All creatures and Lands. So I plan to edit it later.

Ah, I have a similar story. I finished playing Halo today, and sorted all of my cards out (I've been playing since September so it isn't a massive expanse). I do have a slight problem. After boxing all of my commons, I have no room for the remainder of my mythics, rares and uncommons and foils. My basic land has nowhere to go, and my folder is already filled. And I have a box at my parents' house I need to go and get still...

So I made a 5-colour EDH with Scion as my general, 'cos why not?

I made a Sliver Overlord EDH Deck. You don't need a lot of Instants and Sorceries there, because Slivers add a lot of abilities to the battlefield very quickly. Removal, evasion, boost, etc. There are some enchantments and artifacts that really help though.

Monsters."

I'm thinking Sliver EDH with Sliver Legion as general but Idk. My friends and I play Magic on Xbox and I showed them Sliver cards because they didn't know them and they said they would be scared to play against a deck like that.

Sliver Overlord is the best Sliver General, because he's a Sliver tutor!!! You get a bunch of Slivers into play, then bring him, and then you can get basically whatever else you want from your deck, since once you can play the Overlord, you can play any other sliver, including Legion and Queen.

Monsters."

I don't have a copy of Overlord otherwise I'd use him.

He's the cheapest of the three Legendary Slivers. If you don't have him, I really wouldn't run Slivers EDH.

Monsters."

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    He's the cheapest of the three Legendary Slivers. If you don't have him, I really wouldn't run Slivers EDH.
    I'd agree here - to play a Sliver EDH he's a neccessity - me and a friend who is a Sliver player tried to build EDH decks from his Sliver cards and found that with Overlord, it's far superior.

You could try and run it with a temporary proxy, if it's only with friends - of course you'd need to get the card yourself soon, but then again, budgets are still difficult sometimes.

I can get the money. I have a bunch of cards I can sell no problem. It's finding one that is the problem he is an older card so it will be a bit more difficult to find him. I plan on checking the local card shop tomorrow.

Go online. It's like 4 or 5 bucks on most websites.

Monsters."

I prefer not to buy stuff online. I will if I absolutley have to. I'll post the 1st version of my Legacy Sliver deck sometime later.

EDIT: If anybody would like to play some Magic on Xbox Duel of the Planeswalkers 2012 (dont have 2013 yet). Me and a friend have nothing to do and are wanting to play some games with somebody new. PM me on here or Xbox my account name is the3rdH0kage.
    Last edited by the3rdH0kage; 6th August 2012 at 3:16 AM.

I'm working on a deck at the moment with Painter's Servant, Llawam, Cephalid Empress, Mana Maze, and Shifting Sky. I almost feel guilty doing it.

I really want to see more Cephalid cards introduced. They're easily one of my favorite tribes.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

pock pock pock

So i started playing dules of the planes walker 2013 and have come to really like the goblin gangland deck. i saw the deck for sale at the store i work at, would the deck fare well playing with real people?

It's not the same deck.

The "Duels" deck uses cards from many different sets. It's essentially a Legacy Format deck, and it's actually...pretty good. It's only missing a few things the genuine Legacy Goblin deck would have.

The deck from Core 2013 is only made with 2013 cards.

Monsters."

Ok cool and if i got ahold of those cards from different sets would i be able to use them, or is there a regulation against using cads from different sets?

You would, but that'd cost a pretty penny, and then you'd be stuck playing Legacy, which isn't as widely played as Standard.

Monsters."

Yeah i looked into it and was amazed at how many formats there are. So is ther a standard variant of the Gg deck or do i needto look for something elses?

I run a Black/Red Goblin deck that is standard. I'll post the decklist along with my EDH Sliver decklist. But with Goblins I've found Krenko, Mob Boss is a freakin beast. I'm trying to get a playset of him. If you interested in playing a Goblin deck the 2013 Red/? (can't remeber what color) is pretty good. I saw somebody get it and not modify it before playing a won his first like 5 matches with it. But anyway I built a Black/red Goblin deck thats main focus is using Krenko to load the field then sacrifice all of the token and use Blood Artist to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    You would, but that'd cost a pretty penny, and then you'd be stuck playing Legacy, which isn't as widely played as Standard.
    You aren't stuck playing legacy, you can also play casual.* It depends on what group of people you are playing against. I suggest seeing where and who you can play with before worrying about formats to make. Both format popularity and competitiveness vary from place and you probably want to make sure you have a deck that suits the environment you are playing in.

Of course running a legacy level goblin deck will cost you a lot of money (some of those cards are 15 dollars), so I wouldn't recommend it as a good starting deck.

*casual usually involving no rules or custom rules

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom champion Z View Post
    Yeah i looked into it and was amazed at how many formats there are. So is ther a standard variant of the Gg deck or do i need to look for something elses?
    Not really. You can try to make a goblin deck, but you are likely to lose a lot.* There aren't that many good goblin cards in standard right now and half of them are rotating out in October. (of course their may be some new good goblin cards coming out, but you'll have to wait and see)

*unless you are playing with a group who isn't big on competitiveness or top tier decks. Like I said above, it helps to know about the kind of people you will regularly play against.
    Last edited by Zazie; 20th August 2012 at 7:29 PM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Krenko is probably the best Goblin Ive seen since I started playing.

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast