Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

I just don't see the point of running Epic Experiment unless there's a real reason you want to play all those spells at once. That usually means there's a combination of spells that you want to pull off, not just "play all my spells for the hell of it." There was a deck that made use of Epic Experiment when RTRavnica first came out, but it also used white and Greene for mana ramping, increasing devotion, and planar cleansing.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Epic Experiment can have hilarious results, but it needs a lot of mana ramping. Keep it to Grixis EDH, where you can use Coffers + Urborg to make it more useful.

edit: Dragon's Maze spoiled. Lyev Decree seems a little ball-breaking for limited.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 22nd April 2013 at 6:04 PM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Remember, you also need the spells to make it worth it. If you're just running burn and utility spells, there's really not much point to it. You want some really...Epic...spells to hit off the X mana, and those spells need to synergize together for maximum effect. That's why the early RTR Epic Experiment.dec worked...kinda. Because it let you wipe the board (Supreme Verdict/Planar Cleansing), make a bazzilion tokens (Increasing Devotion), and take at least 1 extra turn (Temporal Mastery). But to do that you'd have to ramp up to X=7 or more. And that's extremely hard to do in this Standard Environment.

You want more broad-sweeping effects for E.E. Much less Targeted stuff.

Monsters."

Quote Originally Posted by the3rdH0kage View Post
    You don't need to Bloodrush Master of Cruelties he has First Strike and Deathtouch but he can't deal combat damage. So after opponents life hits one he become essentially a dead card except for some spot removal in blocking. And on your fullback if you Gruul your alley can be Izzet, Golgari,Selesnya, and Rakdos. Your allied guild pack is a guild that shares a color and is from the other set. set So Gruul from Gatecrash can't be allies with Boros, Sonic and of course Gruul. The ally is from Return to Ravnica, I wish it was the ally pack could be from the set, since I'm going Boros and Orzhov and may be attending a 3rd event and going Rakdos.
    Well, yeah... but I only need to Bloodrush him once to hit his effect. I then swing in next turn for lethal. Then again, I am famous for theorydecking up stupid decks.
    I'd learned this today, and it makes me a sad Penguin. Sad really, Boros/Gruul works well together...
    Well, in order of liking, I'm hoping my SA would be Rakdos or Golgari. Even though Selesnya opens up Naya possibilities with some cool Boros cards, and Izzet gives me RUG Simic/Gruul funny business... nah. I no likey.
    Fizzy Bubbles Profile/My lil' Cable Club Post/PASBL
    C+ Grade Ref

Hey you!
    Do you like battling? Do you like Anime battles? Want to try it yourself? Well, why not
    Get started in the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    Any questions about PASBL? Well, ask them here!

but what Im saying is Bloodrushing him would be a waste of a spel. he cant deal any combat damage even after the opponents life is at 1 you swing in with him tgen any burn spell that hits players will be endgame.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

Basically the only point of bloodrushing Master of Cruelties is if they block him, you can give him extra toughness to survive against a first/double striker. That's it. No other purpose.

Join the Nazi Zombies Club V3 today!
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1715-0227
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref
    Ibanez needs a less retarded naming structure.
    Ibanez RG7862FR87689.55(pi*sqrt(5x+(y^2)-(z/8)))

If they block him (after the combat in which their life is reduced to 1) you can then bloodrush to trample that last damage through...but you don't need to bloodrush him. Just anything. And that's a very obvious combat trick, so they'd probably just NOT block.

Monsters."

I mean, Master of Cruelties comes in Rakdos colors. R and B are the two best colors to deal spell damage to your opponent, either by burn damage or life reduction (LOL @ Sign in Blood'ing your opponent at one damage). Its easy to splash in blue to get some "unblockable" spells, or to counter/bounce any creatures your opponent might summon before you play him.

Master of Cruelties is going to make a lot of decks, that's for sure.

Swing in with Master of Cruelties (doesn't get blocked), then next turn draw into a Bonfire or Devil's Play.

Or Lightning Bolt or Searing Spear or Gutshot or Hornet Sting or Worldfire or any other burn spell ever

I forgot that Master of Cruelties trigger is "attacks and isn't blocked," not "deals combat damage to a player," for which I would have said that Ghor-Clan Rampager would be a useful bloodrush for it. But no, I just don't remember what cards do. Bloodrush does nothing for it, unless it's facing down a Darksteel Colossus or something, in which case why even bother attacking with it. That said, I figure that you could do some pretty decent stuff with it in Extended forward. I just kinda wish Gut Shot was still standard with it, but I understand why not (other than just block divisions).

The usual links

*Rereads MoC*
    OOhhh.... I thought it was combat damage that triggered it... Well, that messes up that plan.
    Still, RBG (I believe that's Grixis?) still seems like fun. In fact, A bit of Scavenge Power + Exava seems pretty strong, actually. Add onto that Gruul combat tricks and I'll be pushing damage through forever.

Speaking of Scavenge... If I pull a Savageborn Hydra and some scavengers... who needs to pay 1G/R to get one +1/+1 when you can drop like 4 +1/+1 counters for free with Slitherhead! I smell a Build around me deck plan coming...
    Fizzy Bubbles Profile/My lil' Cable Club Post/PASBL
    C+ Grade Ref

Hey you!
    Do you like battling? Do you like Anime battles? Want to try it yourself? Well, why not
    Get started in the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    Any questions about PASBL? Well, ask them here!

Quote Originally Posted by swampertforever View Post
    *Rereads MoC*
    OOhhh.... I thought it was combat damage that triggered it... Well, that messes up that plan.
    Still, RBG (I believe that's Grixis?)
    Yeah his ability has it so he doesn't deal damage, but anyway Grixis is B/U/R (Nicol Bolas colors) Jund is R/B/G (Sarkhan Vol and Sarkan the Mad colors).

I am kind of new to MTG so i need some tips and stuff but i will mainly use a Green Black combo
    My FEA Family:

You need any help feel free to ask me, and I'm sure Kamotz can help (he has helped me loads).

I am determined to eventually make a super-awesome Maze's End deck, and just so I can play it in my playgroup I'll make it into a commander. If I can win I'll have bragging rights for the rest of eternity. Beautiful. But I'll lose focus too quickly

Anyway, how'd everyone's pre-release go? I had to leave early so I only got to play one round but I got Render Silent, Voice of Resurgence, Legion's Initiative, Flesh//Blood, Loxodon Smiter, and Immortal Servitude. Went Selesnya and got Orzhov. I lost 0-2 in the first round then had to leave, but whatever. I got the Voice of Resurgence, so I'm pretty happy.

I went Friday at midnight, Went Rakdos/Orzhov, and didn't really pull anything of intrest. A friend of mine got lucky and pulled a Ral Zarek but that is about it. I played R1 and had to leave afterwards, I went 0-2 against one of the owners of the shop. But w/e

Quote Originally Posted by DucksGoMooful View Post
    I am determined to eventually make a super-awesome Maze's End deck, and just so I can play it in my playgroup I'll make it into a commander. If I can win I'll have bragging rights for the rest of eternity. Beautiful. But I'll lose focus too quickly
    I was actually kicking this around a little bit, too. Get Terra Eternal for it, as well as every land tutor you can, transmute cards that cost 0 or 3, and the like, and you should be fairly well-off. I think there's a card that gives your lands shroud, too.

The usual links

I might make a EDH deck around it. I can have fun with that. Use a bunch of draw stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by the3rdH0kage View Post
    I might make a EDH deck around it. I can have fun with that. Use a bunch of draw stuff.
    And just ways to tutor out your gates beyond the Maze's End. You'd probably need Gatecreeper Vine, and blink/clone support...and then win conditions that don't rely on a single land. You'd probably want to play it like a Fog deck...but I don't know how viable that is in EDH...with less card consistency, probably less...

Monsters."

I was going to make the deck revolve around it, But it needs to be a good land fetching 5 color Commander and idk if there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    And just ways to tutor out your gates beyond the Maze's End. You'd probably need Gatecreeper Vine, and blink/clone support...and then win conditions that don't rely on a single land. You'd probably want to play it like a Fog deck...but I don't know how viable that is in EDH...with less card consistency, probably less...
    I'd run it as mostly BUG with a lot of transmute, land tutors (Crop Rotation, Sylvan Scrying, Reap and Sow, etc.), and using Isochron Scepter for fog effects and, again, Terra Eternal to avoid any LD and probably Privileged Position to keep Maze's End from being targeted. Exploration and/or Burgeoning may also be worth running.

Also good lord when did Slyvan Scrying get to be worth $2.50+?

The usual links

I decided to make it a Standard build (which took a good 2 hours for just the main board). But anyway I'll make decklist later.

Omg guys everybody's favorite archetype is coming back in M 14. The Hive is making a comeback. There are like 6 previews out now. And sorry for the double post I'll fix later, later in on Kindle and it is a complete b$@&h to edit posts.

DEM SLIVERS. Wow, this is exciting. I'm relatively new, so I've never gotten to play with Slivers before, and never really seen them except for one guy who had a deck. Cool. I'm super pumped for this, but I don't know about the spoiled artwork. It doesn't feel very Sliver-y to me, although maybe they're going to do like a re-invention or something? Especially since the spoiled cards only affect your Slivers, not anyone else's. Cool stuff. Now I'm going to build a totally awesome (and really bad) Sliver deck on Cockatrice. Probably EDH.

On the other hand, I just realized that Underworld Connections is Phyrexian Arena, so I am promptly building a Golgari deck with that and that enchantment that makes the enchanted land untap during each untap step (from RTR).
    Last edited by DucksGoMooful; 7th May 2013 at 2:12 AM.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast