Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

Wizards pointed it out themselves, they've been equating the last few blocks as horror/disaster movies. Alara shows a plane-wide destruction (unless my memory's off), Zendikar has the Eldrazi roaming around, and New Phyrexia is...well, New Phyrexia. An interesting thing to note about Rise of the Eldrazi, each of the artwork for at least the colorless Eldrazi takes place during the daytime.
    In Fearful Day, In Raging Night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite. When all seems lost in the War of Light look to the stars--For HOPE BURNS BRIGHT!

I don't care about my pokemon other than their battling potential. If they aren't good at battling, I'm not going to use them. If I have to spend time getting my pokemon to be perfect, so be it. I'll battle your pokemon that are "raised with love" anytime, and you know what? I'll probably win.

what do you guys thinking of inn/inn/inn drafting? i'm not sure if i prefer it to scars block, but it's early days and dka could make it more awesome.

I've loved transform as a mechanic in drafts.
    I'm going to the Grand Prix next weekend, can't wait.
    Totally in love with LARVITAR!

so who else had a terrible bunch of rares to work with at the prerelease? i got the mighty lost in the woods to go with increasing ambition (my best removal spell) and increasing vengeance, and with innistrad it didn't get any better thanks to laboratory maniac and nevermore, but sever the bloodline saved the rare pool from being utterly terrible somewhat. i managed to get a really nice wb tempo deck going though, thanks to nibili and a reasonable amount of removal. no bombs, which probably cost me in a match against a guy with human mikaeus AND sorin. :\

havin been able to get any of the new set yet. Played with some friends today and went 4/0 with my vampire deck.

i cant wait for the new set to come out so i can power up my zombies

Quote Originally Posted by otaku-dono View Post
    so who else had a terrible bunch of rares to work with at the prerelease? i got the mighty lost in the woods to go with increasing ambition (my best removal spell) and increasing vengeance, and with innistrad it didn't get any better thanks to laboratory maniac and nevermore, but sever the bloodline saved the rare pool from being utterly terrible somewhat. i managed to get a really nice wb tempo deck going though, thanks to nibili and a reasonable amount of removal. no bombs, which probably cost me in a match against a guy with human mikaeus AND sorin. :\
    same here bro. I had Heretic's Punishment (ouch.), Zombie Apocalypse... a bunch of crap that didn't fit together at all. The only good thing I really had was Thalia.

I still traded for a full set of Archdemons of Greed. Once I get Conspiracy and some more Breeding Pits, I might make a really stupid deck.

bought 3 packs and pulled Jar Of Eyeballs, Increasing Devotion, and Curse Of Bloodletting

I might play this game because I enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh but I have no idea how to play is it anything like Yu-Gi-Oh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lugiathespirit View Post
    I might play this game because I enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh but I have no idea how to play is it anything like Yu-Gi-Oh?
    To an extent. All card games are pretty similar, you know. A major difference is that the game is a little slower since you have to have lands to do pretty much anything, and that you don't directly attack creatures, you attack players. What do you need help with? We can probably make mroe progress that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariya Shidou View Post
    same here bro. I had Heretic's Punishment (ouch.), Zombie Apocalypse... a bunch of crap that didn't fit together at all. The only good thing I really had was Thalia.
    tbh heretic's punishment seems pretty good to me. even if you're only hitting a 2 cmc card, repeatable removal for 4 mana is still a pretty good deal (look at skirsdag flayer, he seems nuts).
    not particularly, no. you use a 60 card deck and can play one land a turn to play your spells. there is also no restriction of 11 cards on your board. some of the elements can be sort of translated between the two but it's sort of tricky. vm me if you have any questions.

Well snap, didn't realize anyone here played. I've been playing for nearly two years. Started when I turned 18 right after Rise came out because I was bored and wanted a new hobby. I'm moderately competitive, but I'm not the best. Playing UW Delver in Standard right now.

Does anyone else play competitively?

Pulled Sorin, Lord of Innistrad and a Vault of the Archangel today. Yep, my EDH deck just got a major boost.
    If you're looking for a confidence boost in Marvel VS Capcom 3, Halo Reach or TF2, look me up.
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 2794-9939-9096
    I use "uber" Pokemon in allotted tiers, I calculate stat values, I draw the line at cheating devices, I breed my way to perfection, and I care about natures. I breed my Pokemon out of the most ideal parental stock, and treat them like brainless drones made out of bits of data. I believe that thinking of them as anything more is pointless.

I play a Blue-White control deck. I don't play by tournament standards so me and all of my friends who play have "illegal" cards. It's an exciting time when you can be screwed by one card randomly.
    I am I, and I wish I weren't. -Aldous Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by Pkmn Breeder Jack View Post
    Well snap, didn't realize anyone here played. I've been playing for nearly two years. Started when I turned 18 right after Rise came out because I was bored and wanted a new hobby. I'm moderately competitive, but I'm not the best. Playing UW Delver in Standard right now.

Does anyone else play competitively?
    Inasmuch as I play at FNMs. I don't really have the resources to go any further. If I actually had decks, I might be able to manage it, but.

I got a Innistrad Black/Red deck last weekend. Really cool. Didn 't play with it yet, but I made some changes to it with the booster that comes together. I have the Portuguese version, BTW. And I am trying to start playing competitively.
    Forgot to mention: Can anyone help me build a better competitive deck? I only played 4 MTG matches so far, and none with my new deck. I will feel free to PM my deck, if needed, for someone. Thos who wish to help, remember: Black/Red-Innistrad.
    Last edited by Pokémon Trainer Xande; 20th March 2012 at 7:10 PM.

Eeveelover824 made this awesome banner

I am back to Pokémon/Serebiiforums. If you had any business with me before my long time outside Serebiiforums, let me know by a Private Message

Quote Originally Posted by Pokémon Trainer Xande View Post
    I got a Innistrad Black/Red deck last weekend. Really cool. Didn 't play with it yet, but I made some changes to it with the booster that comes together. I have the Portuguese version, BTW. And I am trying to start playing competitively.
    Forgot to mention: Can anyone help me build a better competitive deck? I only played 4 MTG matches so far, and none with my new deck. I will feel free to PM my deck, if needed, for someone. Thos who wish to help, remember: Black/Red-Innistrad.
    BR Vamps
    This is the kind of deck you should go for with vampires. Like the Goblins of previous MtG sets, Vampires in Innistrad are meant to be played fast and furious.
    If you're looking for a confidence boost in Marvel VS Capcom 3, Halo Reach or TF2, look me up.
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 2794-9939-9096
    I use "uber" Pokemon in allotted tiers, I calculate stat values, I draw the line at cheating devices, I breed my way to perfection, and I care about natures. I breed my Pokemon out of the most ideal parental stock, and treat them like brainless drones made out of bits of data. I believe that thinking of them as anything more is pointless.

so avr's mechanics are looking odd but interesting. also more big dumb angels sadly.

edit: ok griselbrand and time walk make this set amazing.
    Last edited by palingensia; 9th April 2012 at 11:10 PM.

(too lazy to read all previous posts)

I do indeed play Mtg. I have been playing since early 2010, during Zendikar block.

Anyways, who else is liking the look of AVR thus far? Miracle is interesting, and Soulbound (I believe that's what it's called) also seems like it can be fun. I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of the set to be spoiled.

3DS FC: 0989-1762-1315
    Friend Safari: Normal (Teddiursa, Kecleon, Chansey)
    PM me if you'd like to add me.

Soul Silver Team:

Threw together an Esper Spirits deck today. It's not quite something that I could take to the bigs, but it's not horrid, either. Needs Drowned Catacombs instead of using swamps.

avr is indeed looking pretty good. the r/w angel is easily the most exciting of the bunch, and the new demon that draws cards when dudes die seems like a pretty good grave titan replacement to me.

I love white decks and my current deck is built around gideon jura, gideons avenger and gideons lawkeeper ( i think that is his name ) and i also play on steam my steam name is apple-iman if you wanna add me and play sometime

Excuse me while I got on a bit of a rant here. But I'm SICK of Delver/St. Traft/Runepike decks. I played in my local store's little standard tournament that they run every week, nothing huge or very competitive, but a bit more structured than just a quick game. But all three of the rounds I played in had some variant of the above mentioned cards. Some were heavier on tokens or Snapcasters, but it was essentially all the same deck. All with mana leaks, vapor snags, and dissipates too. The same deck, over and over. Really? I mean, I get that it's a fantastic combination, I really do, and when it gets down to brass tax, I don't fault the, for using it. But at least 5 of the 8 people involved ran that combination of cards. It's just...Really?

I managed a few comeback wins, at one point coming back from a 16-3 disadvantage with just Olivia Voldaren pinging this guy's spirits and delvers and pumping Olivia up. But that was one round.

Let me just say again that I don't really want to fault them for using these decks. They found something that works and went with it. I get that...but at this point they aren't really discovering anything for themselves, just looking up the deck on the Internet.

I dunno. Just a rant, and wondering if anyone else has come across or felt this bit of frustration at some point. I think it's because I just came back to the game after a while, and it's more than just my close group of friends I had when I played when I was younger. And I'm just noticing that Everyone is running the same 1 or 2 decks. It's just...

Okay. Rant over.

Avacyn restored looks cool. I really liked the monster horror feel, and not sure how thrilled I am for the big angel demon switcher but I'm a big fan of innistrad flavor and I'm definitely willing to feel this out. And Return to Ravnica seems promising.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    Excuse me while I got on a bit of a rant here. But I'm SICK of Delver/St. Traft/Runepike decks. I played in my local store's little standard tournament that they run every week, nothing huge or very competitive, but a bit more structured than just a quick game. But all three of the rounds I played in had some variant of the above mentioned cards. Some were heavier on tokens or Snapcasters, but it was essentially all the same deck. All with mana leaks, vapor snags, and dissipates too. The same deck, over and over. Really? I mean, I get that it's a fantastic combination, I really do, and when it gets down to brass tax, I don't fault the, for using it. But at least 5 of the 8 people involved ran that combination of cards. It's just...Really?

I managed a few comeback wins, at one point coming back from a 16-3 disadvantage with just Olivia Voldaren pinging this guy's spirits and delvers and pumping Olivia up. But that was one round.

Let me just say again that I don't really want to fault them for using these decks. They found something that works and went with it. I get that...but at this point they aren't really discovering anything for themselves, just looking up the deck on the Internet.

I dunno. Just a rant, and wondering if anyone else has come across or felt this bit of frustration at some point. I think it's because I just came back to the game after a while, and it's more than just my close group of friends I had when I played when I was younger. And I'm just noticing that Everyone is running the same 1 or 2 decks. It's just...

Okay. Rant over.

Avacyn restored looks cool. I really liked the monster horror feel, and not sure how thrilled I am for the big angel demon switcher but I'm a big fan of innistrad flavor and I'm definitely willing to feel this out. And Return to Ravnica seems promising.
    I feel pretty much the same way re: netdecking. You didn't actually build that deck, mate. You're doing nothing except playing it. Which a machine could do, and probably with only 1% of the smell and 10% of the crassness.

I went 2-3 with Spirit Tokens. If it gets going and there's no Ratchet Bombs, I pretty much steamroll opponents. There are 14 cards that buff the tokens in this build (4 Captain, 4 Virtue, 4 Signal Pest, 2 Contested War Zone), so you can guess how quickly this stuff grows. Of course, Ratchet Bomb. I didn't have a sideboard on me because I couldn't find any Go for the Throats on time, and uh

let's just say my local game store's prices are awful and leave it at that

As for AVR... I'm... kind of liking it so far? It's not the best, it's not the worst, it reminds me of ROE in a way, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Also the new planeswalkers seem... uh, Tamiyo is good for EDH, and Tibalt... Tibalt doesn't seem that good in general. He comes down early, but his +1 sucks, his -4 probably won't set the world on fire, and his -6, if you can actually pull it off, DOES look promising! Tamiyo is a little costly for Standard, but the possibility of two Theft of Dreams if you don't use the abilities? Not horrid, but it's way more an EDH card, to me.

Which means I'll probably rebuild a Dream Halls EDH and run her in it.

the most original of the three decks I played was one that focused more on spirit Tokens. But again, it still had the same sort of Traft/Runechanter's Pike combo. But I appreciated what it was doing more, since it was a little different. Lingering Souls, Honor of the Pure, and Drogskol Captain. Okay. The same sort of stuff, but it wasn't Snapcaster/Delver/Runchanter's Pike/Traft/Invisible Stalker/Drogskol Captain. But I swear, I'd say at least 60% of the players at my local place run some variant of the "Mage-Blade" combo. And it isn't a very big store. It's either Mageblade, (B)W Tokens, or...That's probably about it.

It makes things very repetative. Though I guess it also makes things easier to predict. I threw in some Curse of Oblivions, which is usually a pretty terrible card, but it screwed with the Mageblade/Snapcaster strategy. Which was quite satisfying.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast