Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

I had a Hellkite Overlord from the FTVragons and it wasn't warped at all.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

Haven't really had a chance to investigate any Realms stuff, but I remember Exiled and especially Relics, at least among people I know, warping pretty quickly. A fair few of the Fire and Lightning cards (since I bought that and Graveborn) seemed to get a little of it fairly quickly after being unpacked. Could be bad runs, or something. That or I just don't put them in a more secure place fast enough.

Actually, a lot of the foils in general have been a little different. The last few from AVR I got had a bit of... I guess Gaussian blur? around the text -- the ink looked very lightly smudged, I guess. I think my foil Talrand (that I'd gotten at the pre-release) had this problem, too, actually. There's no real downturn in the quality on the card, but they have that weird effect to them. Actually, it looks pretty cool, in a way.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I don't have any cards like that.

Anybody go to FMN tonight, I was going to go but decided I'd rather chill at a friends place. So I'm going to help him make a deck (the one he has now is a R/W/B deck that is very different). He runs 2 Angel of Glory Rise and a shiz ton a Black Zombies (kinda weird right). But anyway after we fix it I will post it up here for rating.
    Last edited by the3rdH0kage; 24th November 2012 at 3:35 AM.

I've started posting Deck Primers in the RMD sub-forum. Each one examines and breaks down a different deck in the current Standard Environment. Here's a list of planned/finished Primers I've got ready.

Bant Control (posted)
    Grixis Control (posted)
    Jund Midrange (coming soon)
    Red Deck Wins/Rakdos Deck Wins (coming soon)
    Naya Midrange (coming soon)
    Four Color Control (coming soon)
    Azorius Aggro (coming soon)
    Selesnya Aggro (coming soon)

What I'm essentially doing is breaking down the deck by card choices and the strategies that accompany them.

Additionally, aside from the above-listed decks (which are the ones I've made and worked with since the new Standard season), I can also analyze requested deck archtypes that I haven't put up there for people who are interested. So if you want to take a look at Esper Tokens, Junk Tokens, Junk Reanimator, 4 Color Reanimator, or any other sort of archtype, I can do that as well.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

So I'm thinking of building a new deck. I'll build a R/G deck. I'll test tomorrow at school. Then post the deck

Im going to make it R/U/G, while splashing in the other 2 color's courtesy of Druid's Repositiory and Transguild Promenade
    Last edited by the3rdH0kage; 26th November 2012 at 6:14 AM.

Got a few packs today, opened a foil Mizzium Mortars and a (non-foil) Sphinx's Revelation in one of them. The others were mediocre.

I'm currently trying to build BG Scavenge as just a "fun" deck. It seems to be leaning a bit toward Jund, though.

The usual links

Mine was origanally a R/G then a R/G/B/R, then a 5-color. and now a R/G/U. and that was the pst 15 minutes. But anyway nice pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by the3rdH0kage View Post
    Mine was origanally a R/G then a R/G/B/R, then a 5-color. and now a R/G/U. and that was the pst 15 minutes. But anyway nice pulls.
    Quote Originally Posted by the3rdH0kage View Post
    So I'm thinking of building a new deck. I'll build a R/G deck. I'll test tomorrow at school. Then post the deck

Im going to make it R/U/G, while splashing in the other 2 color's courtesy of Druid's Repositiory and Transguild Promenade
    5-color is fine. If you're playing Chromatic Lantern. Don't play Druid's Repository or Transguild Promenade. They're both terrible.

Reasons:
    Druids' Repository - this is a 3-mana enchantment that does nothing the turn it comes into play. You'd rather play something with board-impact. What that "something" is really depends on what type of strategy you're playing.

Transguild Promenade - this is just terrible in constructed (It's fine-ish in limited/draft for mana fixing). This is a land that costs 1 and comes into play tapped. It's like paying 2 for a Birds of Paradise that can't block or have equipment/enchantments.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    Got a few packs today, opened a foil Mizzium Mortars and a (non-foil) Sphinx's Revelation in one of them. The others were mediocre.

I'm currently trying to build BG Scavenge as just a "fun" deck. It seems to be leaning a bit toward Jund, though.
    I had a friend who made a "scavenge"-ish deck. It was BG with a big emphasis on Corpsejack Menace and Primordial Hydra. He'd then use Essence Harvest to hit you for ~48 points of life-loss while gaining that much in life himself. It was a pretty cool deck.

Monsters."

I actually don't have Essence Harvest (I didn't even think of it) or Hydra in my build (or have Hydra at all!). I ended up leaning a little red so I could have some decently-buffed Unleash effects and possibly Fling if I can finagle it in.

The usual links

I think Essence Harvest is WAY better than fling. It increases your life, decreases your opponent's and lets you keep your biggest creature. Primordial Hydra + Corpsejack Menace is a pretty good combo. Since instead of just doubling the +1/+1 counters on the hydra each turn, Corpsejack Menace triples the hydra in size every turn.

Example:

P. Hydra has 4 +1/+1 counters and you have Corpsejack on the field. During your next upkeep, the counters would double to 8 (putting 4 +1 counters on it). Instead, corpsejack puts 8 +1 counters on the hydra, making it a 12/12. During your following upkeep, it'll become a 36/36. Then you essence harvest and win.

Monsters."

Pretty fair point; my main use for Fling is for a killing blow, but it leaves me massively open to Syncopate, etc.; I also need to get some ramp in here, which shouldn't be too hard because Arbor Elf and Farseek are available. The hope would be to set up T4 Corpsejack T5 Hydra(3) a lot faster. Okay, maybe "a lot" is too much to hope for, but setting that up T3,4 would be a significant boon.

e: So, maybe can the red. Especially with no Stomping Ground in Standard yet.

e2: Possibility: T1 Tomb, Arbor Elf T2 Slitherhead, Altar's Reap(Slitherhead), T3 Corpsejack, T4 Hydra(3), Scavenge Slitherhead to Hydra, T5 Harvest?
    Last edited by The Admiral; 26th November 2012 at 8:29 PM.

The usual links

No I'm not using Chromatic Launturn, I'm thinking of adding 2 of the Guildgates though, and maybe some of the M13 Dual lands.

Get Chromatic Lantern if you can, getting any color of mana from your lands is a huge boost. Also, I recommend getting the RTR duals if you can, especially if you have ways of searching for them, e.g. Farseek. Guildgates are a passable substitute if you can't get the duals, and they're usually boosted by Gatecreeper Vines. Sadly, nothing else even remotely significant really interacts with them.

The usual links

Unfortunately the guildgates slow your curve down. I'd use the m13 and innistrad lands before any of those.

Monsters."

I'll have the Gates in until I can get the right cards (Lanturn and the RTR Dual lands)

If you're playing RUG, the better lands to have are the Innistrad duals and M10-13 duals. The only Shockland in those colors is Steam Vents (R/U). Breeding Pool (U/G) and Stomping Grounds (R/G) won't be out until Gatecrash. You should look to pick up some Rootbound Crag (M13 R/G) and Hinterland Harbor (Innistrad U/G). They'll both come in untapped off of Steam Vents.

I'm interested in seeing these 2 decks once they're up.

Monsters."

I'll post a very bad rough draft later. But like I said it's a VERY BAD ROUGH DRAFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    Unfortunately the guildgates slow your curve down. I'd use the m13 and innistrad lands before any of those.
    There is also this, as unfortunately (though rather understandably!) Gatecreeper doesn't directly ramp; that would be so much farther ahead of Rampant Growth that it wouldn't even be funny, and even then, that would probably still not be as helpful as Steam Vents, etc.

Also, December's FNM foil. Couple months late for optimal release, but hey, I'll take it.

The usual links

Nice a non legal card. Still pretty nice though and shiny.

Odd timing for the release of Gitaxian probe, ain't it? It's an entire year too late...
    That said, I wont be getting it. MTG clubs in portugal rarely ever get the promos on time, and usually just get a few leftovers. Sole reason why I got a promo Memnite during September, when I was much more willing to get the Lingering Souls promo...

BTW, working on a few morbid and Zombie decks made mostly from the Innistrad block, plus Disciple of Bolas, Desecration demon and a random other card I may think off.

they released tec edge like a year too late too iirc. and teetering peeks too? the alt art on probe is ****awful anyway.

Been thinking on the new Gatecrash Spoilers. They definately feel like "Mythic" mythics. Except maybe Domri, but he(she?)'s a Planeswalker so she(he?)'s excused. Domri seems okay for standard (we'll see how the rest of the set spoils out). But she/he's definately made for my Animar EDH.

Borborygmos is just crazy power in Reanimator and EDH. He'll be my choice general for a RG deck.

Aurelia is also crazily powerful, she could be top contender for a Naya midrange deck. She hits for 6 every turn and pretty much grants double strike to your guys (but also untaps your arbor elves and stuff).

Enter the Infinite is hilarious. I'll grab two or three when they are dollar-cheap and build a mega Ramp to the Infinite/Omniscience deck with Axebanes, Elves and Gatecreepers. Could be hilarious.

Dragon Tyrant seems like a nice target for my Yore-Tiller Nephilim EDH. The whole "I steal your artifacts) could be hilarious with generals like Jor Kadeen or when paired with Mycosynth Lattice.
    Have a nice day

Black FC: 3911-6974-2268
    -STUNFISK LAUGHS AT YOU!-

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by palingensia View Post
    they released tec edge like a year too late too iirc. and teetering peeks too? the alt art on probe is ****awful anyway.
    True re: Peaks art, but I'm down with a new profusion of them. I'd say it looks like a 4-of in most Modern decks alongside Street Wraith, because they basically shrink your deck by that many cards.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 29th November 2012 at 8:46 PM.

The usual links

modern decks have way better things to do than probe though (unless you're playing storm).

Traded a Primordial Hydra today for a Worldspine worm. But I'm getting another Hydra soon so it's good.

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast