Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

I drafted with some friends a few days ago and built quite a good RUW deck. It also used loads of noncreature spells, and quite a lot of enchantements. (Had a 9/8 Insectile Abberation). But the idea of RUW has always been a little disturbing. What do you run in RUW?

I also did a Halloween Draft yesterday with Shadowmoor, Eventide and Innistrad. It was fun, but it's quite hard to put together the cards from the two formats.
    Last edited by D-World; 1st November 2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Have a nice day

Black FC: 3911-6974-2268
    -STUNFISK LAUGHS AT YOU!-

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    I am currently a semi-retired player, even though I started a year ago. I don't like EDH so I can't play casual anymore and I don't have any money to be buying new cards right now. I'm not exactly crazy about the current standard (I don't like innistrad) and eternal formats are too fast/powerful.
    You know that you can just play casual with regular decks, right? Casual isn't a set format, you just build a deck and play. EDH isn't the only casual thing, everything can be casual.
    In Fearful Day, In Raging Night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite. When all seems lost in the War of Light look to the stars--For HOPE BURNS BRIGHT!

I don't care about my pokemon other than their battling potential. If they aren't good at battling, I'm not going to use them. If I have to spend time getting my pokemon to be perfect, so be it. I'll battle your pokemon that are "raised with love" anytime, and you know what? I'll probably win.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Alejandro View Post
    You know that you can just play casual with regular decks, right? Casual isn't a set format, you just build a deck and play. EDH isn't the only casual thing, everything can be casual.
    Yes, of course I do. What I meant was that I don't know enough people who play 60 card casual anymore. EDH has completely swallowed it up in some places.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    Yes, of course I do. What I meant was that I don't know enough people who play 60 card casual anymore. EDH has completely swallowed it up in some places.
    Yeah, my old casual deck has long been broken down and rebuilt into a rather badass EDH deck.
    If you're looking for a confidence boost in Marvel VS Capcom 3, Halo Reach or TF2, look me up.
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 2794-9939-9096
    I use "uber" Pokemon in allotted tiers, I calculate stat values, I draw the line at cheating devices, I breed my way to perfection, and I care about natures. I breed my Pokemon out of the most ideal parental stock, and treat them like brainless drones made out of bits of data. I believe that thinking of them as anything more is pointless.

I have to admit that EDH has become much more popular with the Commander sets (awesome generals in them), but my casual decks are usually competitively viable, but just fun to mess around with.

I built a very nice WU deck based around Venser. It's really fun to bounce your Contagion Engine back onto the battlefield, my opponents don't like it much.
    Have a nice day

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Thraximunndarrrrrrrrrrrr
    In Fearful Day, In Raging Night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite. When all seems lost in the War of Light look to the stars--For HOPE BURNS BRIGHT!

I don't care about my pokemon other than their battling potential. If they aren't good at battling, I'm not going to use them. If I have to spend time getting my pokemon to be perfect, so be it. I'll battle your pokemon that are "raised with love" anytime, and you know what? I'll probably win.

^ Such a bad-*** name.

i have six EDH for now.

-Karador, Ghost Chieftain: Basically a Legendary-themed Reanimation deck.

-Braids, Conjurer Adept: The best way to make allies and enemies in Multiplayer.

-Kaalia of the Vast: Angels and Demons (and lots of dragons).

-Eldric, Spymaster of Trest: The Madness of Drawing Cards x)

-Godo, Bandit Warlord (my oldest): The ultimate Aggro EDH.

-Mayael the Anima: How to have loads of 10/10 guys!

I also think we should talk about flavor text. It's there for our entertainment, so I suggest we make a list of our favorite flavor text cards.
    Have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by D-World View Post
    I also think we should talk about flavor text. It's there for our entertainment, so I suggest we make a list of our favorite flavor text cards.
    THRAXIMUNDARRRRRRR

Also, *insert unhinged card here*

I think in my favourite are:

-Skarrg, the Rage Pits (Torch Pigs ftw )

-Goblin Razerunners (and all other Goblin flavour text)

-Radha, Heir to Keld

-Llurghoyf

-Killer Instinct
    Have a nice day

werebear, gg

My friend just brought a Horde deck into our playgroup. Quite a few things i noticed.

-Tokens are good.

-Control is bad.

-Power of the Stars is a guartanteed victory for the Horde.

-Gather Specimens ruins hordes.
    Have a nice day

I want to make an Angel-based horde deck, that would be challenging as hell.

My next Horde theme is Dragons. Crucible of Fire FTW

I finished a Sealed Innistrad Deck. I ran RUW with lots of flyers. I pulled out Balefire Dragon, Geist-Honored Monk, Curse of Stalked Prey and Back from the Brink. (aswell as Isolated Chapel, Nightfall Predator and Elder of Laurels)
    Have a nice day

Just yesterday i got the Deck Builders Toolkit. I made a Red deck using all the red cards in there, and i made a green/white deck too. Both decks are a "hit em heavy" kind of deck. My red is made to send creatures out at the start, not giving my opponent a chance to work up anything. My Green/White deck has smaller creatures to come out first and help block while i can set up some stronger monsters, who can come in and sweep up the rest of my opponments creatures and life. I am going to test them out on monday.

Also, when i was going through my cards, a red(mystic?) rare showed up. An Angelic destiny.

EDIT:Wow, just looked it up and that card is averiging 20 dollars. Magic is more expensive of a game then i thought.
    Last edited by KantoMasta; 26th November 2011 at 9:05 PM.

First off, that's really standard, so nice job on that.
    Second, HOLY D!CK ANGELIC DESTINY. Also, they're called Mythic Rares.
    Third, over the weekend I played a game of Star Magic. It was surprisingly fun, I loved it.

=> Star magic is fun we did an Alara Shard star game (I played Jund, but Esper won) that was fun.

=> I'm currently running Basandra, Battle Seraph as a Commander/EDH, trying to force attacks with things like Norn's Annex and Lightmine Field to ruin the opponent's gameplay.
    Have a nice day

I got to test out my decks in some actual matches today. My red and black deck won 2 games, by quite a bit too. My green/white deck got whooped three matches in a row. I did have some people that said they'd trade me some good red/black cards for my green/white ones though.

Kinda late here, but Avacyn Restored! Thoughts? Personally, from the way she looks, I think she's gonna be Black/White, but who knows.

i'm just busy being excited about dark ascension. avacyn restored has no dual-faced cards too. :c

How do you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Alejandro View Post
    How do you know that?
    I read about it in something Mike Rosewater posted online, he said something along the lines of "they didnt fit", which I would assume means less werewolves and other random transforming horror mythos type figures?

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I read about it in something Mike Rosewater posted online, he said something along the lines of "they didnt fit", which I would assume means less werewolves and other random transforming horror mythos type figures?
    can you link to the post? Double-faced cards were Innistrad's thing, it doesn't make sense to get rid of them. Unless something major happens like with Rise of the Eldrazi.

well avacyn restored is a large set like rise of the eldrazi so...

and yeah, maro confirmed on twitter there would be no dfcs in avacyn restored as, due to the story, they wouldn't make any sense.

It's going to be a large set? Sounds great, I am not too keen on Innistrad's mechanics and I like the idea of a self contained expansion.

I am hoping it turns out well.

I'd be interested in Avacyn Restored being a subverted good ending. Like, suddenly everythign seems great, Avacyn's coming back...b ut that turns out to be a Bad Thing. Unfortunately, I have this feeling that that would be done badly. Also we've had a lot of dark blocks lately.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast