Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

Quote Originally Posted by palingensia View Post
    it's one of the worst 1 mana discard spells they've printed lately, but appetite for brians sounds wonderful.
    Worst is kind of over-exaggerating. As far as modern legal 1 mana discard goes it's in the median in terms of quality. If you narrow it down to extended or standard legal, it stays around the middle.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

It stops someone setting up Elesh Norn-centered Reanimator, but

it's not like there isn't the superior Inquisition of Kozilek in non-standard formats or anything

oh wait

Trouble is, there are so many better things BELOW Brians' threshold.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I really like Appetite for Brains design-wise. It serves as a nice mirror to Inquisition of Kozilek and has the unusual effect of generally being most effective on turn 3/4. Of course Blackmail is still my favorite hand disruption card design. And my favorite card design from the set is Archwing Dragon.

I am one of those rare players that actually fits the Melvin profile.
    Last edited by Zazie; 25th May 2012 at 11:08 PM.

Watch me tumble stuff:

the only matchups in standard which i'd be sideboarding it in are wolf run ramp (titans, sad robot, huntsmaster) and reanimator (grizzle my nizzle, whatever else they're reanimating these days). against pod it gets their pods and a few other things.

so ok after writing this post i can respect it a bit more but it's no iok or thoughtseize.

Yeah, it's not terrible, but there are probably better possibilities if you had anything available.

Also, I personally prefer Extraction vs. Reanimator, but that's just me.

also:
        Spoiler:- card image:

This is basically why I want/ed Duels 2012 paper decks; except for how goofy that hand looks, I kinda like the new Concentrate artwork.

The usual links

I've had literally nothing to do these last few days, hence the proliferation of decks.

Though most of them I already had the foundation and the ideas for, I just never got around to completing them.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

pock pock pock

I was looking through decks today and I found one with a combination that I really liked.

Land
    4x Forbidden Orchard

Creatures
    4x Hunted Phantasm
    4x Hunted Dragon

Enchantments
    4x Aether Flash
    4x Repercussion

Artifact
    4x Dingus Staff

If he cast even just one Hunted Phantasm, that's 20 damage the opponent takes, assuming Aether Flash, Repercussion, and Dingus Staff are all on the field. With Forbidden Orchard he can deal 4 damage a turn just by tapping for mana. I think I might have to steal this idea for a deck of my own...

Too bad most of those can't be played in Modern, but that's not a big deal.

pock pock pock

I've just been tampering with a Dragon Deck and found out that 5 colour is seriously fun, especially then if you add 4 Quicksilver Amulets and lots of mana Accel. Hellkites, Overlords, Malfegor, the many Legendary dragons, then 4 Gravepurges, returning said dragons to hand then playing them next turn. As an EDH it would be great. minus the lack of Gravepurge being a single card. So for the meantime, I'm not expanding it.

Do you run Helkite Overlord
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

I do. A very fun Dragon.

yeah.Building a standard (hopefully) Black/White Vampire/Human deck I'll post it when I'm done with it.

Where is Kamotz?

And yeah, Krazy. I love playing 5 color decks. I haven't made any in a long time, but most of my favorite cards are 5-colored, or at least multi-colored. It all started when I bought my first Penumbra deck (included Last Stand and Penumbra Wurm).

pock pock pock

Awesome. Ah, my Land Destruction is going horribly. So many amazing combinations, but I just can't pick out of them!

I saw the beginning's of it. You should start by picking out the cheapest and best cards and working from there. I'm still looking at other examples of Land Destruction decks to get a good feel for the effective ones.

pock pock pock

So instead of a Black/White Vampire deck Im going to build a tri colored Black/Red/Green deck and mess around with it for a while

R/G/B is my favourite combination. i have a R/G/B Dragon Deck, a R/G/B Land Destruction Deck and a R/G/B Powerhouse Deck all planned out. The powerhouse doesn't run very smoothly but the other two are fun. But I'm trying to make new LD decks now.

Nice my (now like 3 differnt deck) EDH deck was R/G/B and it was undeafted. So Im kinda hoping for a good deck this time around. But I have a problem with my mana curve in tri-colored decks. So I always run a playset of Terramorphic and I used to run Evolving Wilds but it isnt standard anymore.

Thats why I run so many multi-coloured lands, such as Rootbound Crag, and even the EDH ones. I often have only 10 basic land and the rest specials, minus my mono-red deck.

I have Blackcleave Cliffs andif I can find it it is going in the deck.

Edit: I have sorted through my cards. I will make the deck toimorrow and then post cause I'm beyond tired.
    Last edited by the3rdH0kage; 29th May 2012 at 5:09 AM.

M13 spoilers are going up on MTGSalvation (though some pictures are clearly D13 -- since there seems to be a Grixis theme going on, the odds of them not being in M13 with the next block being Return to Ravnica are... pretty low.)

tl;dr the mechanic for this set is Exalted, which apparently is now mostly black so far. Also Wizards is replacing Incinerate AGAIN.

I don't see why. Incinerate is perfect. (Wonder if Shock's staying, too? If there's no one-point burn I'm gonna be very sore.)

Also Arbor Elf is in (and thus there's probably no Llanowar Elves). Also the worst Overrun variant that I know of.

SIGH. This is gonna be the "polished turd" core set, innit. This after the great stuff in Planechase 2...

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    M13 spoilers are going up on MTGSalvation (though some pictures are clearly D13 -- since there seems to be a Grixis theme going on, the odds of them not being in M13 with the next block being Return to Ravnica are... pretty low.)

tl;dr the mechanic for this set is Exalted, which apparently is now mostly black so far. Also Wizards is replacing Incinerate AGAIN.

I don't see why. Incinerate is perfect. (Wonder if Shock's staying, too? If there's no one-point burn I'm gonna be very sore.)

Also Arbor Elf is in (and thus there's probably no Llanowar Elves). Also the worst Overrun variant that I know of.

SIGH. This is gonna be the "polished turd" core set, innit. This after the great stuff in Planechase 2...
    I am going to disagree with a lot of the comments above.

Searing Spear seems to be a better idea overall. Incinerate kind of kinds of weakens regeneration abilities, so I can see why they would want a similar card that doesn't lessen interactivity in the game It's still much better than Volcanic Hammer, which in my opinion is a perfectly fine burn spell.

It's better to think of Predatory Rampage as a green board-wipe, as opposed to an Overrun variant. Arbor Elf is speculated to be in the set because they reprinting shocklands, and even if they aren't. it can still be better than Llanowar elves in a lot of other circumstances. (namely the ability to work well with enchant land spells, which provides more ramp and/or color fixing)

I am disappointed that they haven't unveiled any interesting multicolor spells yet. (some are speculating there won't be any with Bolas being an exception) I don't see what is so complicated about multicolor spells that they can't put a few in every core set.

Watch me tumble stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    I am going to disagree with a lot of the comments above.

Searing Spear seems to be a better idea overall. Incinerate kind of kinds of weakens regeneration abilities, so I can see why they would want a similar card that doesn't lessen interactivity in the game It's still much better than Volcanic Hammer, which in my opinion is a perfectly fine burn spell.
    Fair, since they did basically shaft regeneration over time.

It's better to think of Predatory Rampage as a green board-wipe, as opposed to an Overrun variant. Arbor Elf is speculated to be in the set because they reprinting shocklands, and even if they aren't. it can still be better than Llanowar elves in a lot of other circumstances. (namely the ability to work well with enchant land spells, which provides more ramp and/or color fixing)
    I definitely am not complaining about Arbor Elf. Just a bit weird. And as far as Predatory Rampage... I'll give that, too.

I am disappointed that they haven't unveiled any interesting multicolor spells yet. (some are speculating there won't be any with Bolas being an exception) I don't see what is so complicated about multicolor spells that they can't put a few in every core set.
    They had to have reminder text for flying at some point. Keep that one in mind...

The usual links

About to post to possible decks. I'll probably just put them in one post because there two very similar deck ideas. One is Black/Red the other Black/ Green and I will just decide probably tomorrow or sometime soon as to which deck I'm going to run.

Am I the only one who's not happy about Rancor being back? Because now that's gonna be in for a whole year. Least this means I can play mine...

The usual links

It's rather annoying, yes. I'm also annoyed they've brought back the most OP Planeswalker too... Ruddy Jace.

on other news, I'll be posting a 'fun deck' up soon. I'mpart of my sixth-forms MTG society, and am going to be head of it next year. My only decks are Modern Dragons, R/G Were/Wolves, and LD. So all of them are a bit OP on new players who have basic decks,or are running the Society's practice decks.

So, I've made a themed deck - Griffin's and Mythical Creatures. It's R/G/W, with a small amount of U mana.

I'll post the deck up now.

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast