Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinosaur Enthusiasts?

Default Dinosaur Enthusiasts?

As a HUGE dinosaur nerd myself, I've found myself wondering if there are any other dinosaur enthusiasts on here? I've loved dinosaurs for almost my entire life, I can't remember a time that I didn't love everything about dinosaurs. I adore the books, shows, movies, and pretty much anything else dinosaur related! So, is there anybody else here on Serebii that shares my love for these spectacular creatures?

"They should all be destroyed..." -Robert Muldoon, Jurassic Park

I doubt I'm a huge nerd like you are (maybe as a kid I was), but I still love dinosaurs myself; it's more of a fascination these days with some adoration here and there. Some of my favorites are the marine reptiles such as plesiosaurs (Liopleurodon I think is cool) and mosasaurs--think I can put down Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus here as well with them? Though while they don't count as dinosaurs, per se, in going back to the Paleozoic Era, the aquatic life like the Dunkleosteus, eurypterids, and ammonite are just as fascinating, and it's almost hard to imagine just how vast and full of life the oceans were at the time, and just how dangerous they were. Like maybe it was a good thing many of the prehistoric fish died out, because they're freaking scary, lol.
    Winner of Best Fic of 2014 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 4 - 7/18/15 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

Marine reptiles are really cool too! My favorite species of Pliosaur(Mosasaurus and its relatives) would probably be Tylosaurus, quite a bit bigger than its more well known relative, Mosasaurus. Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus are also great creatures(honestly, I thought Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus were synonymous, but it seems like I'm wrong.) I also quite like Pterosaurs, my favorite would be Quetzalcoatlus, which is the largest known Pterosaur. As for dinosaurs themselves, my favorites would be Dilophosaurus, Carnotaurus, and Allosaurus.

How about some concavenator love up in here?! It's easily one of the more interesting theropods.
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Omega Ruby Team:

Yeah, I've had a love for dinosaurs and other prehistoric life since I was little - apart from the classic Mesozoic creatures, I have an odd fondness for the giant athropods of the Carboniferous. Dinosaur-wise, though, my favourites are definitely the sauropods, Diplodocus especially, though Therizinosaurus is also one I like. I'm probably one of the few people who thinks feathery theropods (not just Velociraptors, but T Rex too) actually look cooler and more interesting than scaly ones. Then again, I'm also more used to the idea, I guess.

Who cares about cookies? Come to the Light Side, we have CUPCAKES!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Dream Code: 7100-3458-5872

I actually had to look up Concavenator, it seems like a really cool theropod! I'm definetly going to do more research on it, and maybe put in my dinosaur-related fanfiction.

Oh, feathery theropods are awesome! Unfortunately, they aren't always depicted well, and tend to just look ugly, but when done right, they look amazing! Sauropods are some of my favorites as well, though I tend to be more captivated with the larger ones, like Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus, Sauroposeidon, and Amphicoelias.

I mean, if you think about it, dinosaurs aren't actually dead. They're alive (well, the theropods anyway), just as birds. That's a really awesome thing when you think about it, that these amazing creatures haven't actually been wiped out and still remain with us in some form today. They aren't just memories in books or museums, but living, breathing creatures that we see and hear every day. The age of the dinosaurs is still technically today.

...It also makes eating a chicken nugget sound incredibly badass. :P
    Last edited by Chibi_Muffin; 8th July 2015 at 9:42 PM.

Who cares about cookies? Come to the Light Side, we have CUPCAKES!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Dream Code: 7100-3458-5872

That is really cool, actually. (though, I'm personally a Creationist. I still study evolution, though)
    ...It also makes eating a chicken sandwich sound incredibly badass. :P
    XD Yes it does, come to think of it. It also makes being a chicken farmer sound really cool, and suddenly makes ostriches cool.(I THINK they're descendants of Gallimimus and other ostrich-like dinos, I could be wrong, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamUniverse12 View Post
    Marine reptiles are really cool too! My favorite species of Pliosaur(Mosasaurus and its relatives) would probably be Tylosaurus, quite a bit bigger than its more well known relative, Mosasaurus.
    While looking up extinct giant flightless birds, I ran into a picture of the Tylosaurus that I remember seeing before, and yeah, that's a big momma, lol. I might've briefly read up on it and learned then that it was the largest marine reptile, I just forgot XD. (Also just saw a picture of the Sarcosuchus battling a Suchomimus that I remember seeing on the cover of a National Geographic years ago. Man, I love looking up dinosaur art.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi_Muffin View Post
    I'm probably one of the few people who thinks feathery theropods (not just Velociraptors, but T Rex too) actually look cooler and more interesting than scaly ones. Then again, I'm also more used to the idea, I guess.
    I like the feathers as well, even though it's hard to really tell what they actually looked like, so it's too easy to go back-and-forth between feathers and scales. I still like the idea of the traditional scales, but I have a feeling the Utahraptor is probably my favorite example of hitting normal expectations of what we want the Velociraptor to look like while still covered in feathers, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamUniverse12 View Post
    That is really cool, actually. (though, I'm personally a Creationist. I still study evolution, though)
    Same here. I actually had a book when I was small about dinosaurs in the Bible (or dinosaurs and the Bible--I don't remember the title of the book anymore), and I remember liking it, both for the dinosaurs and for the idea that perhaps dinosaurs and man weren't strangers with each other. But even though there's been a small number of evidence that point to the direction that perhaps dinosaurs and man once co-existed at some point, at least when man first walked the earth, it's mainly theories at this point, and any explanation for it has been lost to the ages. Eh, I can at least believe that there's dinosaurs on the other side.

It also makes being a chicken farmer sound really cool, and suddenly makes ostriches cool.(I THINK they're descendants of Gallimimus and other ostrich-like dinos, I could be wrong, though.)
    I was going to say the elephant bird, but looking it up, kiwis are the closest relatives to the elephant bird. Instead, scientists are now believing that all the flightless birds' ancestors do go back to the age of the dinosaurs, but they could still fly. They lost the ability to fly once the dinosaurs died off, which makes me wonder if maybe they did that to take over the role of the dinosaurs for a little while until the mammals could grow.

But speaking of, there's been a lot of giant flightless birds in Earth's history, even though everyone thinks of the moa and sometimes the elephant bird. Still are interesting, though, especially since it appears every single continent had a giant flightless bird or two.
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 4 - 7/18/15 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

I just graduated from a Palaeontology degree lol. We did one module that was somewhat related to dinosaurs. We only had one lecture about them and it was about feathers. I wish I knew more haha. I recently went to see Jurassic World and was hugely disappointed. That's put me off dinosaurs a little bit haha.

Pokemon X/ Alpha Sapphire: (Izuna) 0860-4501-8564

Friend Safari: Spiritomb | Pumpkaboo | Shuppet

So you're a paleontologist? That's awesome! I'm hoping to be a paleontologist myself one day, but I'm sure if I can see that happening(personal stuff). I quite liked Jurassic World, as a HUGE Jurassic Park fan, but I can definitely see why some people didn't like it.

Haha, maybe because I am that's why I didn't like it? The more you know... xD

That's awesome, there's not a brilliant job market for palaeontologists at the moment though. :< Hoping to go on to further study but I look at microfossils, not big things like dinosaurs. XD I've actually seen quite a few research proposals surrounding dinosaurs, feathers and evolution so you never know, there might be a breakthrough and you'll get a chance to study them further.

Pokemon X/ Alpha Sapphire: (Izuna) 0860-4501-8564

Friend Safari: Spiritomb | Pumpkaboo | Shuppet

I sure hope there's some sort of breakthrough, I'd love nothing more than to spend my life studying these creatures alongside fellow paleontologists. I personally have a theory or two of my own, but they're likely completely impossible. So for now, I'll have to settle for telling my friends and family random stuff about dinosaurs, pterosaurs, and pliosaurs. XD.

Oh boy I love dinosaurs, I'm even wearing a dinosaur shirt right now and sang about my dino shirt on YouTube lol

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about dinosaurs right now but I know that I will one day.

Team Omega Ruby

Mixtape
    Level 26

Dawg
    Level 19

Pekachu
    Level 14

Well, I hope your knowledge of these amazing creatures keeps growing! I particularly enjoy the dromaeosaurid family(Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Utahraptor, etc.), though I also really like the Carnosaur family. What about you?

That's awesome, Flandre, congrats! Sucks the market's not demanding, but hopefully you'll find your place. Microfossils is something, although it sounds interesting.

Lol the thing about Jurassic World in making paleontologists cry is kind of "forgiven" in-universe, as all the dinosaurs are still genetically created, and they were tweaked to fit the public's view of what dinosaurs look like. Most people still don't imagine dinosaurs with feathers, after all, nor do they imagine dinosaurs the correct size, and I doubt the dinosaurs were fully accurately portrayed, but that's more-or-less to be expected. "Bigger" is "badder"/"scarier", after all. The movie was a little underwhelming to me, personally, despite knowing it was never going to be Jurassic Park, and everyone knew this as well. My personal issue with it was the CGI being used in place of animatronics, and that they didn't do more with the dinosaurs. Like we should've had more scenes like the pterosaur scene, they shouldn't have been afraid of the PG-13 rating.

At least the Mosasaurus was cool.

Well, we may be getting more movies, so hopefully they'll do better with them. Although I imagine it'll be freaking hilarious if The Good Dinosaur portrays dinosaurs more accurately than Jurassic World.

My personal issue with it was the CGI being used in place of animatronics, and that they didn't do more with the dinosaurs.
    Even if I really loved Jurassic World, I can't agree with this more. I read they used animatronics for when the raptors were in their harnesses, but then put a layer of CGI on them for "making them look more realistic". I think raptor animatronics looked fine without the CGI, so I feel that's just stupid.

Another thing I didn't like is they didn't do much with creatures other than the I-Rex and the Velociraptors, especially since the website shows all these cool carnivores like Suchomimus, Baryonyx, and Metriacanthosaurus that never showed up.

I really like Dinosaurs too. For me, I loved playing the jurassic park mobile games(Jurassic Park Builder and Jurassic World because you essentially get to design your own park and see these beautiful creatures kind of come to life in front of your eyes(seriously though the graphics are awesome for these games).

I did love Jurassic World the movie though. I just love the idea that this was actually a successful park for like 10 years before **** hits the fan. And personally that ending fight scene was straight up amazing(You go Blue <3!!!).
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Pixar is making a new dinosaur flick called The Good Dinosaur. Hope it'll be a good one.

Also I loved reading Dinotopia series as a kid.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Dinosaurs are awesome. I still haven't grown out of my childhood fascination and love for the most successful species to ever rule the Earth.

I'm currently reading a mystery novel called The Dinosaur Feather where the main conflict centers around the relationship between dinosaurs and birds. There's one character who absolutely denies the currently accepted hypothesis that birds are modern dinosaur relatives, and it's kind of ridiculous how stubborn the guy is.

That said, I'm rather adamant about not wanting to see Jurassic World because of how the raptors are portrayed. I know there's the whole thing about not being able to exactly replicate the DNA and the public's expectations (both in-universe and out), but why not show the raptors feathered? You don't appeal to the lowest common denominator, you should aim to raise it. Heck, back in the 50s we still thought all dinosaurs were sluggish brutes that dragged their tails on the ground. Once John Ostrom found Deinonychus in the 70s, we entered the dinosaur renaissance that's still on-going, so why not further demonstrate the dinosaur-bird linage and educate more people on how cool evolution can be?

I tend to have phases that kick in when I've had an interest in the past, and seeing Jurassic World two weeks ago and rewatching the prequels since decades back just peaked my interest in dinosaurs again.

I've read the Z. Rex trilogy, own a dinosaur toy collection since I was a kid, saw a live Walking with Dinosaurs performance in the O2 Arena, played the **** out of Zoo Tycoon: Dinosaur Digs and Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. Other than that though there isn't really much for me to do other than look stuff up.

Spinosaurus is probably my favourite dinosaur. The large sail on its back reminds me of Godzilla but other than that it just looks appealing.

Between the ages of 8 and 12, dinosaurs were one of my favourite things to learn about (Keep in mind that kid me loved learning new things). My favourite dinosaurs were mostly sauropods because I loved learning how big they were, In fact I was into really big creatures in general: dinosaurs, crocodiles, whales; you name it.

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

Quote Originally Posted by Ionasal.kkll.Preciel View Post
    whales
    Speaking of, primitive cetaceans like the Basilosaurus, Dorudon and Leviathan (basically all archaeocetes--and yes, there's now an officially-named Leviathan although it's been "renamed" to Livyatan, and it may have lived alongside Megalodon) are so cool, and need more love. They may not all have lived at the same time, but the number of cetaceans that have lived in the oceans just as the dinosaurs died out are just cool to me. But it's probably a little more remarkable to me as these majestic creatures died off (well, evolved into new species) naturally in the Cenozoic era, albeit in early-Cenozoic for the most part. So not that long ago in Earth's history, when you think about it. We as a species were so close to live at the same time as them.

Philosoraptor asks: If birds are descended from dinosaurs, are bird watchers dinosaur enthusiasts?
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:
    Trade: Sylveon

Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

Latest shiny: Omanyte(40 SR!)

I was a HUGE dinosaur can when I was little, don't get me wrong, I still do, but up until like 7th grade I wanted to be a paleontologist
    Name: Mac
    FC: 0834-4098-5870
    Friend Safari: Poison: Cascoon, Toxicroak, Ariados

Spoiler:- My Few Events:

Shiny Charm Progress: 365/719
        Spoiler:- meh Shinies:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast