Page 234 of 444 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284334 ... LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 11093

Thread: The Student Lounge Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Oh. In the post you quoted, I didn't mean that my cursive was crap (although I know it is). I just meant my handwriting is weird. (:
    All girls should have perfect handwriting. Quit failing as a female.

Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!

Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    I'm sorry... I'll go hide in the fail corner now... just don't hurt me! D:

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Ouch, that's harsh. On the other hand, I'm a guy with great cursive writing, according to my classmates. That's either a really good thing or a really bad thing, as a guy.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

*trying best not to laugh*

Just asking, what's the exact difference between cursive and print? I get told that my handwriting is both, so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    *trying best not to laugh*

Just asking, what's the exact difference between cursive and print? I get told that my handwriting is both, so yeah.
    Cursive vs. print. Although almost nobody writes exactly like that anymore, and most people write in a mix of both instead. (:

So I have to write a reflective paper, second draft's due wednesday. Translation: blow it off until tomorrow afternoon, stress about it, get it done, get ready to turn in final draft next week.
    This is probably the easiest college writing class I've ever taken.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalVictini View Post
    So I have to write a reflective paper, second draft's due wednesday. Translation: blow it off until tomorrow afternoon, stress about it, get it done, get ready to turn in final draft next week.
    This is probably the easiest college writing class I've ever taken.
    Yeah, procrastination! I have a lab write-up in AP Chem due next Monday, so that translates to "wait until the weekend." I swear, the only time ever do things early is the week before a new pokemon game comes out. I should really stop that, but I've said that a thousand times before.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

That's right. Know your place.

(I'm kidding lolz.)

That's right. Know your place.

(I'm kidding lolz.)
    I'm just an average high school student, and the only thing that governs my ascent up the mountain is time... I know my place. ):

I'm just an average high school student, and the only thing that governs my ascent up the mountain is time... I know my place. ):
    How many years do you have left?

Don't feel bad about the cursive thing. I barely even remember how to write cursive. When I took my SAT 4 years ago I was barely able to sign legal agreement as you had to write out the entire stanza in cursive.

How many years do you have left?

Don't feel bad about the cursive thing. I barely even remember how to write cursive. When I took my SAT 4 years ago I was barely able to sign legal agreement as you had to write out the entire stanza in cursive.
    Well, I'm in tenth grade right now, which means PSAT's... yay... :/
    I don't mind the actual content, but I just hate that whole standardized test-taking atmosphere.

I don't mind the actual content, but I just hate that whole standardized test-taking atmosphere.
    I agree with you there. If anything, don't forget to take it again Junior year, since you can get special recognition or scholarship depending on your performance. The real SAT is the same, really, but longer.

Standardized tests are trash. Most of it is just material you will only know if the curriculum is poignant to the test. I bombed my first SAT but I might retake it before I transfer into my Pre-Med program for more FA. I can probably score at least a 1700. I didn't know answering the questions wrong made you lose points so I counteracted everything I got right but speeding through it.

That and I was just an idiot when I was 17.

That and I was just an idiot when I was 17.
    Just like me!

I'm too lazy to search it, but what exactly is considered a great score on the SAT? If I recall correctly, 1600-ish is about average?

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    Just like me!

I'm too lazy to search it, but what exactly is considered a great score on the SAT? If I recall correctly, 1600-ish is about average?
    Yup. I got a 1300 which makes me almost want to kill myself. With an IQ of 132 there is no excuse for that.

Yup. I got a 1300 which makes me almost want to kill myself. With an IQ of 132 there is no excuse for that.
    I didn't study for that sh*t and got a 1500. Its honestly a bunch of crap that the college board uses to make money. That and lower the amount of foreign students allowed in at one time to a college.

Standardized tests are trash. Most of it is just material you will only know if the curriculum is poignant to the test.
    That's exactly how I barely got into Advanced in every category on the STAR test! (If you don't live in California, it's California's almost end-of-year standardized test. Basically, the different categories [English, math, science, history] each are 600 points, and Advanced is like 395 or some ridiculous number like that.)

The guys who make the STAR test expect you to score somewhere between 550 and 600 in each category if you truly are very skilled in that category. However, I personally believe that the Advanced threshold is so low only because so many people complained that their kids who got A's in their ninth grade English class only got 300's (Basic level nowadays, which is really bad actually) for their English STAR score for that year. :/

So I guess I have no reason to complain about an 1860, I suppose. I still feel like I should have done better, but meh, I didn't study, so I shouldn't deserve any higher. I do think there must be a better way to see how intelligent students are. Standardized tests just don't seem to accurately measure our abilities.

The guys who make the STAR test expect you to score somewhere between 550 and 600 in each category if you truly are very skilled in that category.
    Yet, I can nail the concepts of Calculus AB, and only score a 490 in Summative Math. :/
    Standardized tests just bother me, though that should go without saying.
    Last edited by Psynergy; 11th September 2012 at 5:56 AM.

That's exactly how I barely got into Advanced in every category on the STAR test! (If you don't live in California, it's California's almost end-of-year standardized test. Basically, the different categories [English, math, science, history] each are 600 points, and Advanced is like 395 or some ridiculous number like that.)

The guys who make the STAR test expect you to score somewhere between 550 and 600 in each category if you truly are very skilled in that category. However, I personally believe that the Advanced threshold is so low only because so many people complained that their kids who got A's in their ninth grade English class only got 300's (Basic level nowadays, which is really bad actually) for their English STAR score for that year. :/
    It is weird, I don't know if I was stressed or what, because our schools standardized test I got int the 99th percentile.

Though I am bad at mathematics so that usually is always a chunk out of my score. The essay is also handwritten so god bless the recipient who actually had to read my test.

It is weird, I don't know if I was stressed or what, because our schools standardized test I got int the 99th percentile.

Though I am bad at mathematics so that usually is always a chunk out of my score. The essay is also handwritten so god bless the recipient who actually had to read my test.
    Oh, there's no essay for the STAR test. But since it's all multiple-choice, a few of my friends and I joke around and say that some questions make you mark E (each question has four choices A, B, C, and D; but each row on the answer sheet has five choices now, labeled A-E) to get it right just to mess around with the students.

Personally, I don't think that it's actually true, but the low scores I seem to always get every year make it highly likely, if not the lack of adherence to California's educational standards. :/

Oh, there's no essay for the STAR test. But since it's all multiple-choice, a few of my friends and I joke around and say that some questions make you mark E (each question has four choices A, B, C, and D; but each row on the answer sheet has five choices now, labeled A-E) to get it right just to mess around with the students.

Personally, I don't think that it's actually true, but the low scores I seem to always get every year make it highly likely, if not the lack of adherence to California's educational standards. :/
    Well here is why I don't like standardized tests:

The school ends up setting aside holes in the actual practical curriculum to teach us how to answer these standardized tests that directly impact their funding. Schools are businesses like everything else so I believe we get gypped a couple of years of information that is actually valuable to our education, so instead they can train us to be drones and in turn make more funding for them to continue running as a school. This is why they stress for students to at least pass with proficient, because it in turn makes them look good. I truly learned almost nothing in any of my English classes until around my Junior/Senior year. Senior year is when I actually learned how to write the good way.

Not to mention these tests are ridiculously easy. Most people with any pragmatic thought pattern and shred of common sense can answer correctly through deductive reasoning the questions. Some of the math questions might be an exception, but I really don't think on those tests they go past about Alg 1 and Geometry. The SAT tests make most of the state regulated tests look like a joke.

We just finished our Gen. Chem. Lab today. It was great!(even I didn't much handle the chemicals though because of being a recorder) Being a recorded was not bad afterall, I felt little alone, when my groupmates leave doing the data and observations though..tsk.
    If I have any worth, it is to live my LIFE for GOD

|| Multishipper || Bias:鹿晗 || hwaiting! || Inactive||

Well here is why I don't like standardized tests:

The school ends up setting aside holes in the actual practical curriculum to teach us how to answer these standardized tests that directly impact their funding. Schools are businesses like everything else so I believe we get gypped a couple of years of information that is actually valuable to our education, so instead they can train us to be drones and in turn make more funding for them to continue running as a school. This is why they stress for students to at least pass with proficient, because it in turn makes them look good. I truly learned almost nothing in any of my English classes until around my Junior/Senior year. Senior year is when I actually learned how to write the good way.

Not to mention these tests are ridiculously easy. Most people with any pragmatic thought pattern and shred of common sense can answer correctly through deductive reasoning the questions. Some of the math questions might be an exception, but I really don't think on those tests they go past about Alg 1 and Geometry. The SAT tests make most of the state regulated tests look like a joke.
    Last year, one of the two biology teachers taught earth science for like a month just because he didn't want his students to fail the science part of the STAR test (it was earth science), whereas my biology teacher didn't teach us anything about earth science. Yet, my friends from both classes still scored similarly (390-420) on the science section.

I personally hate it when teachers set aside what they intend to teach just to make students potentially score higher on standardized tests, too.

Also, for English, I was forced to stick with the five-paragraph essay because the rubric was based on its structure. The problem for most students is that the teachers suddenly expect them to switch styles instantly upon transitioning grades, something which I didn't have much trouble doing at all, since I never willingly stuck with that five-paragraph formula to begin with.

From what I've heard, the SAT is more tricky and tactical than actually knowledge-testing and difficult, whereas state standardized tests are horrendously easy and don't measure how much you've learned at all. In truth, they measure whether or not you've learned the bare minimum of content. The eleventh grade math section, for example, is geometry, and I'm a year below and in algebra 2. :/

Last Thursday was my first class of university and I love it!! It's not like that immature high school where I went. You don't hear gossiping, teasing, or whining. We're all mature adults! I love how there's way more freedom. I think I'm gaining more self-confidence too!
    Aside from my two night courses which start at like 6 pm and end at 8: 50 pm, I like my schedule. I'm just glad that I got Fridays off. I'm taking a B.A. Honors in environmental studies. ^^

One of my classes just ended at 11:25 am. My next one starts at 4:35 pm. Welp, I got some time to kill. :P

Gossip is cool.
    My English teacher is a total spaz.
    But I got no homework at all today. And we did speed dating wtf it's a frikin girls school it was boring. Then we had maths. It was easy. We did drama. Our teacher is wierd.
    And I finally got a ham and cheese panini for lunch.

Page 234 of 444 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284334 ... LastLast