Page 362 of 446 FirstFirst ... 262312352358359360361362363364365366372412 ... LastLast
Results 9,026 to 9,050 of 11147

Thread: The Student Lounge Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyy View Post
    I don't know if I should ask this in here or the Questions Thread, but I will just post it anyway: does anyone here go to an Ivy League college or was admitted to one of those schools? I need information on what you should do in order to get admitted. I know it's on the schools' websites, but I think it would be more helpful to hear from someone who has actually had first hand experience.
    gustavo14 has some good points. I just wanna add that if you don't get accepted to an Ivy League school, it's not a big deal. you can become very successful by attending another school. I'm not trying to discourage you. but it's pretty ridiculous that there are people who think “Ivy or quit life", especially since Ivy decision making processes are so holistic. the fact that you think you can get into an Ivy suggests that you're smart enough to get into a good school, be it Ivy or not, so you'll be fine where ever you go

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

It's 5am here in England and I'm still working. The life of a student.

Gustavo covered it for the most part, I need to mention that your standardized test scores are arguably the most important factor. If you attend a less than stellar high school (or a terrible one in my case), then your GPA needs to be near perfect for the courses offered and your ACT/SAT score needs to be at the peak in regards to your school as well.

That being said, I had the highest for both those measures at my school for my graduating class (the highest Act and Sat in quite a while and a flawless GPA), but my test scores were only 89th/90th percentile. I didn't even bother applying for Ivy League because I knew it would be a wasted effort and a waste of $$$ that I didn't have to spare at the time.

I say you want to be at least around the 96th Percentile for SAT and 98 for ACT. That means at least a 32/33 on the ACT, and at least 700/710 for each of you SAT scores. Keep in mind, these are for the 25th percentile of average of the most selective Ivy League schools.. You likely want scores to be a bit higher than the 25th percentile of their students to give yourself a better chance of being admitted; however, it's possible to get accepted with marginally lower scores. For a few Ivy Leagues, a 33 composite ACT puts you near to 50th percentile (the lowest composite for any of them is a 30 for the 25th percentile), so it varies. You can also check the percentiles for each school respectively via any search engine.

And yes, the benchmark ACT/SAT scores for each department within the schools may differ. For example, the Engineering department will likely be more selective.
    Last edited by WarriorPrince; 9th May 2013 at 7:04 AM.
    You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness...

[IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/34si8ac.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks gustavo 14 and Dj06, that helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    gustavo14 has some good points. I just wanna add that if you don't get accepted to an Ivy League school, it's not a big deal. you can become very successful by attending another school. I'm not trying to discourage you. but it's pretty ridiculous that there are people who think “Ivy or quit life", especially since Ivy decision making processes are so holistic. the fact that you think you can get into an Ivy suggests that you're smart enough to get into a good school, be it Ivy or not, so you'll be fine where ever you go
    I know that there are other good schools other than the Ivy League ones, but chances are when applying for a job, I would think that if both candidates are pretty much equal in the interviews and such, the employers would choose the Ivy League graduate over someone who just came from a good college based on reputation alone.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Here's something else:

If you didn't do so hot in high school, go to a community college and start taking things more seriously. When you transfer, universities will look at your community college transcript, not your high school transcript. My high school GPA is almost a whole point lower than my community college GPA.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

I don't know if I should ask this in here or the Questions Thread, but I will just post it anyway: does anyone here go to an Ivy League college or was admitted to one of those schools? I need information on what you should do in order to get admitted. I know it's on the schools' websites, but I think it would be more helpful to hear from someone who has actually had first hand experience.
    Don't invest all our resources into getting into a Ivy League school.
    Just because its an "Ivy League School" doesn't mean your going to get the BEST education ever; its what you make out of your education. You'll learn just as much at a regular state school.
    Plus, the Ivy League schools are a bit ridiculous when it comes to applicants. Sure, its almost a given that you have to have high SAT/ACT scores, high class rank, high GPA, and loads of community service, but they judge you on factors you can't control. With today's over political correctness, a lot of schools are looking to "diversify" their campuses. So if your a white middle class male/female with stellar test scores and all that, chances are you're gonna lose to the lower class Hispanic female who might have lower scores than you do, but she'll get the nod because she evens out the statistic.

Point blank, don't bank on getting into the Ivys. It really doesn't matter, I promise you.
    I know that there are other good schools other than the Ivy League ones, but chances are when applying for a job, I would think that if both candidates are pretty much equal in the interviews and such, the employers would choose the Ivy League graduate over someone who just came from a good college based on reputation alone.
    Yeah uh no

Didn't feel like double posting so I just deleted my previous post.

Anyway, it's an amazing feeling knowing that you'll still pass a class even if you make a 0 on the final exam. That's the case for my economics final next Thursday.
    Last edited by ebevan91; 9th May 2013 at 8:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    Plus, the Ivy League schools are a bit ridiculous when it comes to applicants. Sure, its almost a given that you have to have high SAT/ACT scores, high class rank, high GPA, and loads of community service, but they judge you on factors you can't control. With today's over political correctness, a lot of schools are looking to "diversify" their campuses. So if your a white middle class male/female with stellar test scores and all that, chances are you're gonna lose to the lower class Hispanic female who might have lower scores than you do, but she'll get the nod because she evens out the statistic.
    I know. That's quite unfortunate.

Yeah uh no
    So you're trying to tell me that someone who goes to Penn State has just as much of a chance of getting a job that someone from UPenn is also applying for, given that both their interviews went relatively the same? I find that extremely hard to believe.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Just got my SAT scores today

Scored 670 in Reading, 700 in Math, and 720 in Writing; 2090 overall

People tell me that it's pretty good, so I'm probably not going to take it again

^ Click this for good times ^

So you're trying to tell me that someone who goes to Penn State has just as much of a chance of getting a job that someone from UPenn is also applying for, given that both their interviews went relatively the same? I find that extremely hard to believe.
    A serious employer isn't going to base the decision on alma mater alone. The interview itself has more credibility than the choice of college.
    If you are going to a college solely on the name or the label you're better off applying your money else where, seriously. You can get just as good of an education elsewhere at a state school, I promise you.

This is the problem with people trying to over prepare for the future. College is college, and a diploma is a diploma. The one who gets hired is the one with the most experience. In the end, what school you go to doesn't really matter. This is why the rate of people starting community college first is higher than ever. Your resume, experience, demand, and interview hold far more weight than what school you go to.

It's not healthy for everyone to think "Well if someone else and I are equally qualified, and happens to be applying to the same job, for the same position at the same time..." Chances are, this won't happen. I mean, it cool to want the best education but don't base it on if. Go for something you like, get good and you'll most likely find success.

Now of course, if it's for a specific field, going to school that solely teaches in that field may help but still.
    Last edited by Jb; 10th May 2013 at 3:27 AM.

Now of course if you manage to get a free ride at a top school by all means go for it.

I think people tend to get deluded sometimes into thinking that their choice of schools and how much effort they put into their education has a huge impact on their future careers. Of course, getting a high school education is a fundamental requirement in today's world and a college education is also becoming a necessity. But depending on what sort of job you're actually going to have in the future, the alma mater you write on your resume might not actually make that huge of a difference. For the first couple years of their lives, most people's main focus is on their education. It's difficult to consider anything else when it comes to their future. Our society has put such a huge emphasis on education that we tend to think of it as a linear concept: the harder we work in school and the more opportunities we grab at, the more successful we will be later in life.

I'm not trying to decry the notion that getting a good education will help you succeed in life; certainly, having a prestigious school on our record and majoring in something (anything really) can open up more options later in life. But there's a good chance that we're not going to get most of those options anyway.

I guess my bottom line here is to not put so much weight in how well you do in school. As long as you try your hardest and play the game, you're probably going to end up as a functioning member of society someday.

^ Click this for good times ^

I finished my semester in pretty good condition

American Lit: A
    New Black Poetry: A
    British Lit: A
    Intro to English Studies: B
    Music in Western Civilization: C

All in all I was pretty pleased, this semester marked the end of all of my gen ed courses so now all I have left is the classes to finish up my english degree and I'm at a point where I graduate in about 3 semesters so I'm excited
    Some rules are made with all intentions to break
    And she defends it with a warped rationale
    But I've seen what happened to the wicked and proud
    When they decided to take on the throne for the crown

Facebook | Last.fm | Backloggery

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Just got my SAT scores today

Scored 670 in Reading, 700 in Math, and 720 in Writing; 2090 overall

People tell me that it's pretty good, so I'm probably not going to take it again
    2090? yeah, that's okay. not all amazingly terrific... I should've studied for the SATs

Credit to Brutaka

i'm waiting for this INTERNSHIP in CANADIAN PARLIAMENT to start in the next SEVENTY-TWO HOURS

(i'm actually so excited right now that i'm randomly capitalizing words)
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

I didn't go to school today because of a sudden outbreak of Scabies at school, my school wasn't closed today though, I purposely stayed home. I don't know why they didn't close the school, but my mom kept me and my siblings home.

This year my school has just been having so many problems, two fires, flooding, and now an outbreak of disease? None of this ever happened before this year.

Name: Specter
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

My signature is so empty now.

I AM DONE WITH FINALS AND SUMMER!!!!! WHEEEEEE

i might be back to post my final course grade lol

Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

Welp, with only 17-ish days of school left, the time has come for me to start my IB MYP Final of a Personal Project. Making a Video Game (On RPG Maker). I've been working on weapons all week and once I complete the weapons I move to either enemies or gear.

Thank you based Turpoo

Got finals this coming week.

American Lit II and Biology on Monday, Java and Accounting II on Wednesday, and Macroeconomics on Thursday.

Neither of those schools indicate the content of your own moral character, a thing which employers long for in job candidates these days.

I wish I cared about my AP Bio exam tomorrow.

Credit to Brutaka

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    I wish I cared about my AP Bio exam tomorrow.
    I have a final exam in Bio tomorrow. Our professor has been out for 2 weeks straight because she had a baby, so she gave us the exact questions that were going to be on the final exam and told us to study them. So that's what I've been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post
    I have a final exam in Bio tomorrow. Our professor has been out for 2 weeks straight because she had a baby, so she gave us the exact questions that were going to be on the final exam and told us to study them. So that's what I've been doing.
    that's awesome. you should thank her child lol. but i have the actual College Board AP Biology exam tomorrow. if i do well, i get college credit. but a friend recently told me that medical schools don't like high school AP course credits for courses like biology and chemistry. i'm gonna try to get a 4 (the highest score is a 5, and my school only accepts 4 and 5). my main motivation right now is that i don't want my mom to get mad because she paid $81.00 and i end up with a s***ty score

Credit to Brutaka

Damm I got a global history project due wednesday and theres no way im starting tonight... Why do I always wait till the last minute?!
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Currently Looking For:
    any meowth/persian

Page 362 of 446 FirstFirst ... 262312352358359360361362363364365366372412 ... LastLast