Page 243 of 444 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253293343 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 11093

Thread: The Student Lounge Thread.

Wow, how stupid do you take me for, i may not seem clever, but when it comes to exams....

Quote Originally Posted by Shade2000 View Post
    Wow, how stupid do you take me for, i may not seem clever, but when it comes to exams....
    I didn't think you were stupid. Just not a genius. And as a Grammar Nazi, I must ask you why you are not using English properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade2000 View Post
    Yeah i got an Art scholarship, an academic scholarship and a music exhibition to one school, but i'm not going there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    I got two academic scholarships for two different schools. But you're actually cleverer than I thought you were =p
    Oh god, it seems that I'm a lot less cleverer than a lot of people on here. Serves me right for only getting a measly two A*s in my GCSEs.
    Last edited by Poetry; 18th September 2012 at 8:22 PM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

So freshers week is next week for university at least anyway. This has 2 problems for me though:

1. I have no money until my student finance money goes in
    2. I'm not a big drinker as in I won't even drink to the point where I am drunk

Considering these factor how would you recommend I go about doing my freshers fortnight. Yeah they call it a week even though its 2 weeks.
    Pokémon Y FC: 4441-9848-8754
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/2yjtq4y.jpg[/IMG]
    Credit to -Sarah for my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Oh god, it seems that I'm a lot less cleverer than a lot of people on here. Serves me right for only getting a measly two A*s in my GCSEs.
    Wait, so from what I've gathered:
    1) You're Korean.
    2) You don't seem to mind the fact that you "only" got 2 A* on your GCSEs.

Mind=Blown *shot*

That's alright, though. I'd be pretty happy if I got 2 A* but my parents wouldn't be.

I feel really sorry for the students that are in the school that's notorious for having confusing schedules. And I thought mine was confusing. Mine is all classes on Monday, with four of them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and three on Wednesdays and Fridays, and the classes that are on those days never changes.

In fact, one of the new teachers that was hired for that school last year worked there for about a month (August-September 2012), thought the schedule was crazy, and quit. Now he's a student teacher at my school. (:

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I just had a five hour o-chem lab. Bleh.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    I just had a five hour o-chem lab. Bleh.
    lol. what are you guys doing?
    I have column and something chromatography tomorrow using chemicals that can kill me in at least 3 different ways...

Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

So... one of the professors for my online classes put up the link to submit our first essay, yet he hasn't even told us what the essay is supposed to be about. Due on the 23rd. The ****?
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    lol. what are you guys doing?
    I have column and something chromatography tomorrow using chemicals that can kill me in at least 3 different ways...
    Today we were identifying the active ingredient in an over the counter pain medication by using thin layer chromatography. Be sure to wear gloves when you do your lab just in case you spill something. What chemicals are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    It seems fun to be able to help teach. What kind of class will you be assisting in?
    yeah, what you TA-ing?
    I'll be assisting a cognitive psych class. It covers things like sense perception and how the brain organizes it, neural control schemes for moving your body, and the kinds of intuitive reasoning (and its accompanying foibles) people engage in - basically anything and everything that goes on in the brain whenever you experience or think about something. It's really an interesting subject.

For those plucky students who want to know more about genetics and evolutionary biology but whose classes don't accomodate their educational wishes, Coursera is offering a free online introductory class on the topic! You're not held to any contracts or the like, and I don't think it counts as college credit anywhere, but if you pass the class you get a certificate signed by the instructor (a distinguished professor from Duke). The real reward, of course, is the knowledge of such an exciting field you'll be gaining. And remember - it's free! Interested smarties should check it out. ^_^

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    I'll be assisting a cognitive psych class. It covers things like sense perception and how the brain organizes it, neural control schemes for moving your body, and the kinds of intuitive reasoning (and its accompanying foibles) people engage in - basically anything and everything that goes on in the brain whenever you experience or think about something. It's really an interesting subject.

For those plucky students who want to know more about genetics and evolutionary biology but whose classes don't accomodate their educational wishes, Coursera is offering a free online introductory class on the topic! You're not held to any contracts or the like, and I don't think it counts as college credit anywhere, but if you pass the class you get a certificate signed by the instructor (a distinguished professor from Duke). The real reward, of course, is the knowledge of such an exciting field you'll be gaining. And remember - it's free! Interested smarties should check it out. ^_^
    Awesome. I'm studying Psychology in my high school, so we've touched upon cognitive thought, though only slightly. It sounds a lot more in-depth in the manner you described it.

I didn't know they had classes like that. I'd personally should be interested, but Biological study is the one form of science I can't stand. It does sound cool, though, and for free, it looks well worth it.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Awesome. I'm studying Psychology in my high school, so we've touched upon cognitive thought, though only slightly. It sounds a lot more in-depth in the manner you described it.
    It gets so much more interesting after the high school level. The depth of intricacy in getting from an object in the external world all the way to the concept in your head that you perceive is just astonishing. You learn things you'd never even know were things you could learn! The higher you go in a school subject, the more of a dreamlike and detailed hidden world of facts beneath the surface you uncover - it's just beautiful and awe-inspiring. ^_^

I didn't know they had classes like that. I'd personally should be interested, but Biological study is the one form of science I can't stand. It does sound cool, though, and for free, it looks well worth it.
    Aw, yeah, well, everybody has their things. It'd take a lot of reward to convince me to go out of my way for a history or chemistry class. Luckily, no background in bio is assumed, and actually plenty of evolutionary material is as much theoretical and logical as it is wet-and-squishy-science, so it might be unlike what you'd experience in high school. But you're right that it's worth a look, at least. =)

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

It gets so much more interesting after the high school level. The depth of intricacy in getting from an object in the external world all the way to the concept in your head that you perceive is just astonishing. You learn things you'd never even know were things you could learn! The higher you go in a school subject, the more of a dreamlike and detailed hidden world of facts beneath the surface you uncover - it's just beautiful and awe-inspiring. ^_^
    It sure looks like you get to help in a class you really enjoy, which must make all the difference. You're absolutely right, though, that it must get so interesting after high school. Our valedictorian last year said himself that it gets boring in basic high school psychology, and since it's so broad at this level, there must be a ridiculous amount of directions psychology can go.

Aw, yeah, well, everybody has their things. It'd take a lot of reward to convince me to go out of my way for a history or chemistry class. Luckily, no background in bio is assumed, and actually plenty of evolutionary material is as much theoretical and logical as it is wet-and-squishy-science, so it might be unlike what you'd experience in high school. But you're right that it's worth a look, at least. =)
    No background in bio is assumed? I'd definitely try it out, if I didn't already take some biology, or if I planned to go for a biology-related major. I do prefer math-heavy subjects, but who knows what I'll think a few years from now.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

It sure looks like you get to help in a class you really enjoy, which must make all the difference. You're absolutely right, though, that it must get so interesting after high school. Our valedictorian last year said himself that it gets boring in basic high school psychology, and since it's so broad at this level, there must be a ridiculous amount of directions psychology can go.
    Oh yes, psychology can go all sorts of directions. Very in depth too. In the Neuroscience of Music class that I took last semester, there was a whole section about music and psychology. I actually did a project about the connection between music preference and personality. Fascinating stuff.

How is being a TA in college different from being one in high school?

...Wait, what am I saying? How is being one in college the same as being one in high school? I'd imagine there wouldn't be much, simply due to the number of students you'd have to tend to?

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Today we were identifying the active ingredient in an over the counter pain medication by using thin layer chromatography. Be sure to wear gloves when you do your lab just in case you spill something. What chemicals are you using?
    oh yeah, that. TLC and column chromatography
    don't ask me which one is eluent now. I still need to re-read this a few times since sometimes they change the way they do stuff in the lab lecture
    alumina is the absorbent thing, though

in TLC: benzhydrol, benzophenone, biphenyl, ethyl acetate, hexane, toulene, iodine
    column: acetylferrocene, alumina, tert-butyl methyl ether, ferrocene, hexane

Do y'all offer summer? I have no time for this now? (what about winter holiday ish time?)
    also, how do you pass the class if it is online? no final? lol
    Last edited by Kacho; 19th September 2012 at 3:43 AM.

Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

oh yeah, that. TLC and column chromatography
    don't ask me which one is eluent now. I still need to re-read this a few times since sometimes they change the way they do stuff in the lab lecture
    alumina is the absorbent thing, though

in TLC: benzhydrol, benzophenone, biphenyl, ethyl acetate, hexane, toulene, iodine
    column: acetylferrocene, alumina, tert-butyl methyl ether, ferrocene, hexane
    I've used some of those chemicals before. If I remember correctly, they're pretty nasty. Fun fact: methanol causes blindness. At least that's what my lab instructor told us.

Oh yes, psychology can go all sorts of directions. Very in depth too. In the Neuroscience of Music class that I took last semester, there was a whole section about music and psychology. I actually did a project about the connection between music preference and personality. Fascinating stuff.
    A psychology class based in music? That sounds interesting, and definitely a surprising class to hear about, to say the least.

I finally motivated myself to start my college research, two months before applications begin. I should be more worried, but I've noticed I work better under a tighter schedule.

A psychology class based in music? That sounds interesting, and definitely a surprising class to hear about, to say the least.

I finally motivated myself to start my college research, two months before applications begin. I should be more worried, but I've noticed I work better under a tighter schedule.
    Technically a neuroscience class, not a psychology class. I was also surprised when I found it. It's an upper level class that's not offered very often.

Technically a neuroscience class, not a psychology class. I was also surprised when I found it. It's an upper level class that's not offered very often.
    Oh, but a background of psychology is something you would want, right? It definitely isn't a class I ever heard of, but interesting. A class on such a subject just sounds uncommon, but I'm sure there's a class on most things, as long as you look hard enough.

Oh, but a background of psychology is something you would want, right? It definitely isn't a class I ever heard of, but interesting. A class on such a subject just sounds uncommon, but I'm sure there's a class on most things, as long as you look hard enough.
    A background in psychology is helpful, yes, though neuroscience deals more with brain function as opposed to thoughts, behaviors, etc. Like I said, it's an upper level college course. It was made up of mostly seniors actually (I was the lone freshman in there). A lot of upper level college courses cover rather specific topics.

Quote Originally Posted by YaDunGoofed View Post
    Lol, fire alarm drill today. In the middle of a ppt, half awake typing notes and boom! Killer bee fire alarm drill.
    That's funny, my school had one as well at the end of my Algebra 2 class. I almost forgot that we still did those. The increase in students made that parking lot feel crowded...

I wish there was a Psychology class at my school... Funny thing is half the other high schools I know about have such a class.

I feel like I did well on my Elements quiz. Funny thing was the teacher accidentally left the Periodic Table of Elements Posters up, but the words were so tiny that only the handful sitting right next to them got to use it.
    Want to read an epic reinactment of a series that needs more love? Click the userbar! As of 3/16/13, Chapter 50 is up!

Credit to Trickster44 for the userbar!

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    Wait, so from what I've gathered:
    1) You're Korean.
    2) You don't seem to mind the fact that you "only" got 2 A* on your GCSEs.

Mind=Blown *shot*

That's alright, though. I'd be pretty happy if I got 2 A* but my parents wouldn't be.
    Actually, my parents didn't really mind at all... unlike other Korean parents around the area, they don't really take an active interest in my school life; like they let me choose what school I wanted to apply for, instead of automatically putting me in for all the top private schools.
    And anyway, I know that English is really my only good subject, so I didn't really care how I did in other subjects. Incidentally I hated maths and science so I'm pretty much the only Asian in my school not to be taking either Maths or Physics or Chemistry for A-Level, much to the horror of my teachers.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

In my Biology class, we had a make up day, I was at a B+ and now A-(90.7%). What sucks is that we have a quiz next class :c . I hope my score is high so I could have a higher A.
    In English, we have to act a scene in the book "Anthem". There's 11 characters involve, but there's 6 of us, which sucks. What sucks even more is that I'm the main character AND the narrator... But we're going to act it on Thursday.
    No.

Page 243 of 444 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253293343 ... LastLast