Page 320 of 442 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330370420 ... LastLast
Results 7,976 to 8,000 of 11038

Thread: The Student Lounge Thread.

  1. #7976
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    I can't imagine having winter break start so close to Christmas day... I've always had winter break start at least a week before Christmas. o:





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  2. #7977
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,346

    Default

    ....I blew my free exemption days lol. I should have used them to study for my non exempt physics midterm

  3. #7978
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Sounds really terrifying... it doesn't really help that pretty much every major needs chemistry for general ed (or so my cousin says). D:
    there's general chemistry, and then ochem is the next level after introductory chem stuff...
    the general chem labs are easier and shorter haha...

    Quote Originally Posted by eBay Huckster View Post
    don't even remind me about ochem
    WHY NOT!?

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  4. #7979
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Twinleaf Town
    Posts
    684

    Default

    one day down.Starting tomorrow is the 3 days of finals
    Shiny Count: 50

    Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

    Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

  5. #7980
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    there's general chemistry, and then ochem is the next level after introductory chem stuff...
    the general chem labs are easier and shorter haha...
    Ah, so if I'm not planning to major in organic chemistry or whatever needs it, then I won't have to worry about organic chem labs or anything like that? (:





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  6. #7981
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Littleroot Town
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Ah, so if I'm not planning to major in organic chemistry or whatever needs it, then I won't have to worry about organic chem labs or anything like that? (:
    As long as you're not planning to major in chemistry or biology (or related areas), you should be fine. Unfortunately for me, I'll have to take at least two semesters of organic chemistry once I transfer to a four-year university...

    Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:


  7. #7982
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    As long as you're not planning to major in chemistry or biology (or related areas), you should be fine. Unfortunately for me, I'll have to take at least two semesters of organic chemistry once I transfer to a four-year university...
    That's good for me, then. I probably won't even touch any chemistry-related majors.

    As for you, though, I'd just convince myself that my eventual future outweighs the workload of organic chemistry classes if I were you. (:





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  8. #7983
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    virtual world
    Posts
    950

    Default

    I can't imagine having winter break start so close to Christmas day... I've always had winter break start at least a week before Christmas.
    Yeah. Actually, some course and Universities did took their Christmas breaks last week, (here in our place) as for us, we still got classes today and tomorrow would be the start (hopefully) of that break.XD

    the general chem labs are easier and shorter haha...
    ..it was fun in addition to that! XD I still find it hard to use pipette for some reasons..since I'm just startingXD.
    If I have any worth, it is to live my LIFE for GOD

    || Multishipper || Red: ShinAya= Kagepro OTP || Inactive ||

  9. #7984
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashist_Wilketch View Post
    Yeah. Actually, some course and Universities did took their Christmas breaks last week, (here in our place) as for us, we still got classes today and tomorrow would be the start (hopefully) of that break.XD
    Yeah, I really can't imagine how it would be like having to take finals merely three or four days until Christmas day. I find that the closer my finals are to Christmas break, the poorer I do on them. :/





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  10. #7985
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kacho View Post
    why not!?
    just don't
    last.fm
    facebook


    OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

  11. #7986
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,344

    Default

    EDIT: I have a feeling I am doing so bad in microbiology lecture I might have to retake it :/
    I mean, I did good in orgo, but micro is bad right now D: I HAVE SO LITTLE DAYS TO KNOW ALL THESE INFO.

    Thankfully my next sem is my bio-classes focus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashist_Wilketch View Post
    Yeah. Actually, some course and Universities did took their Christmas breaks last week, (here in our place) as for us, we still got classes today and tomorrow would be the start (hopefully) of that break.XD



    ..it was fun in addition to that! XD I still find it hard to use pipette for some reasons..since I'm just startingXD.
    I still don't like the smell of anything with acetone.. but Once I was in ochem lab.. OH GAWD. EVERYTHING SMELLS.
    Cyclohexane, cyclohexene, hexane, dimethyl ether, chlorinated or brominated anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    As long as you're not planning to major in chemistry or biology (or related areas), you should be fine. Unfortunately for me, I'll have to take at least two semesters of organic chemistry once I transfer to a four-year university...
    lectures only or including labs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Ah, so if I'm not planning to major in organic chemistry or whatever needs it, then I won't have to worry about organic chem labs or anything like that? (:
    for labs, it depends lol.
    like I am two classes away from minoring in chem, and I might do that and take Ochem 2 since it might be more relevant to my course.
    The only thing is I have to talk to advisers to see if I need the lab to graduate. I know I need Ochem 1 lab for my major, but idk ochem 2 lab lol

    (my major and future-still-thinking minor are like in two different departments)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    That's good for me, then. I probably won't even touch any chemistry-related majors.

    As for you, though, I'd just convince myself that my eventual future outweighs the workload of organic chemistry classes if I were you. (:
    Ochem wasn't as un-doable as physics in my uni lol.
    I have heard many of the professors can't teach well or something lol. unless you're taking GENERAL physics, which is easier than UNIVERSITY physics lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Yeah, I really can't imagine how it would be like having to take finals merely three or four days until Christmas day. I find that the closer my finals are to Christmas break, the poorer I do on them. :/
    my last final is this thursday (20th), but I have some friends already done with finals in my uni. I think it depends what classes you have and what schedule the finals are... :P you can't fight some things like that haha. and you have to make flight plans carefully, especially if the tests are those that you sign up your test time hahaha.

    though i have acquaintances/ friends in other uni who are done already lol.
    Last edited by Kacho; 17th December 2012 at 11:43 PM.

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  12. #7987
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    my last final is this thursday (20th), but I have some friends already done with finals in my uni. I think it depends what classes you have and what schedule the finals are... :P you can't fight some things like that haha. and you have to make flight plans carefully, especially if the tests are those that you sign up your test time hahaha.

    though i have acquaintances/ friends in other uni who are done already lol.
    Eh, college finals would be different for me, I'm assuming. I don't know why, though. College just has that connotation of free time dispersed between classes, whereas high school is just a straight shot of classes with no breaks in between for some reason.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  13. #7988
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Eh, college finals would be different for me, I'm assuming. I don't know why, though. College just has that connotation of free time dispersed between classes, whereas high school is just a straight shot of classes with no breaks in between for some reason.
    eh, pretty much :P
    I have gotten more sleep with same or slightly more gaming in college and still pull off some A's and B's haha
    if i cut my gaming, I might get more A's...

    HS is just tedious lol.
    and plus, some things I learned in organic chem or general chemistry is eye-opening on how things work.
    (not to mention the minds and researches put into those discoveries)

    seriously, carbon is a troll :P

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  14. #7989
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    eh, pretty much :P
    I have gotten more sleep with same or slightly more gaming in college and still pull off some A's and B's haha
    if i cut my gaming, I might get more A's...
    Yup... I'd post more here if I had more free time during high school. (:





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  15. #7990
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    917

    Default

    free time in university?

    surely you jest
    last.fm
    facebook


    OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

  16. #7991
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Littleroot Town
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    That's good for me, then. I probably won't even touch any chemistry-related majors.

    As for you, though, I'd just convince myself that my eventual future outweighs the workload of organic chemistry classes if I were you. (:
    Well, I would hope so. ; )

    I find chemistry quite fascinating, actually. It's just that I've heard so many horror stories about organic chemistry classes (a lot of it is just the sheer amount of memorization required, if I'm not mistaken).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    lectures only or including labs?
    Both. It's a requirement at my college that students have to take lab along with lecture in all chemistry and biology classes. The only science class I've had that I didn't have to take a lab with was geology (which I kind of regret now, seeing as I really enjoyed geology, and it's a very interesting subject, IMO).

    Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:


  17. #7992
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eBay Huckster View Post
    free time in university?

    surely you jest
    I don't jest. I'm just probably really ignorant of what really goes on during university years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    I find chemistry quite fascinating, actually.
    I actually do, too. I just can't imagine myself doing it for pretty much the rest of my life.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  18. #7993
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I can't imagine having winter break start so close to Christmas day... I've always had winter break start at least a week before Christmas. o:
    I guess for my school it depends on what day of the week Christmas is on.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

  19. #7994
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    I guess for my school it depends on what day of the week Christmas is on.
    I guess.

    I'd still rather have the week before Christmas off too, so that way, I don't have to worry about what day of the week Christmas just so happens to be that year.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  20. #7995
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I don't jest. I'm just probably really ignorant of what really goes on during university years.



    I actually do, too. I just can't imagine myself doing it for pretty much the rest of my life.
    .... on the first part.
    also, when do you things like put on cosmetic, cook, cleaning, etc. it's chemistry man lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    Well, I would hope so. ; )

    I find chemistry quite fascinating, actually. It's just that I've heard so many horror stories about organic chemistry classes (a lot of it is just the sheer amount of memorization required, if I'm not mistaken).



    Both. It's a requirement at my college that students have to take lab along with lecture in all chemistry and biology classes. The only science class I've had that I didn't have to take a lab with was geology (which I kind of regret now, seeing as I really enjoyed geology, and it's a very interesting subject, IMO).
    I actually understand the reactions better by doing problems from the book. It's like math class, but like reaction lol.

    finding the nucleophile and electrophile in mechanism took me a while to get haha.
    Also, things like some reactants only act on certain function groups is interesting... I am still sad that I don't get to used Raney Nickel

    I thought alkenes reaction was hard lol, but when I learned alkynes and alcohol, my mind imploded from overwhelming haha

    EDIT: I am also starting to forget some reactions XD Like how KMnO4/OH-/warm cleaves all the carbonyl group into O=C-OH and -R, I think

    Quote Originally Posted by eBay Huckster View Post
    free time in university?

    surely you jest
    I am told that graduate students (or masters or phD) is more difficult than undergrad. you can see my view totally enjoying my time now haha

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  21. #7996
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Littleroot Town
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    I actually understand the reactions better by doing problems from the book. It's like math class, but like reaction lol.

    finding the nucleophile and electrophile in mechanism took me a while to get haha.
    Also, things like some reactants only act on certain function groups is interesting... I am still sad that I don't get to used Raney Nickel

    I thought alkenes reaction was hard lol, but when I learned alkynes and alcohol, my mind imploded from overwhelming haha

    EDIT: I am also starting to forget some reactions XD Like how KMnO4/OH-/warm cleaves all the carbonyl group into O=C-OH and -R, I think
    Funny, I usually get more confused reading the book's explanations. Sometimes things are worded in a more complicated manner than they need to be. Once I understand something though, there's no stopping me. XD

    ...I honestly don't know what all you're referring to in the rest of your post, lol. Seems like there's so much to remember in chemistry, especially o-chem. I was taking a look through my general chemistry textbook a couple of weeks ago, and the "introduction to organic chemistry" chapter was the longest one in the book. How do you keep track of all those rules for naming compounds?!

    Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:


  22. #7997
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    Funny, I usually get more confused reading the book's explanations. Sometimes things are worded in a more complicated manner than they need to be. Once I understand something though, there's no stopping me. XD
    I find this to be one of the problems with textbooks supplementing teacher's lectures. The textbooks are either much, much clearer; or much, much harder to understand. It renders either the teacher or textbook useless. :/





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  23. #7998
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Littleroot Town
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I find this to be one of the problems with textbooks supplementing teacher's lectures. The textbooks are either much, much clearer; or much, much harder to understand. It renders either the teacher or textbook useless. :/
    Yes, it would be nice if there was a better balance between the two. That being said, I usually don't study much out of the textbook anyway, except for the homework problems, since in almost all of the classes I've had, only the material covered in lecture is on the tests (besides, most of my professors have done well enough at explaining the material to the point that I don't have to supplement my notes with the book). I realize this will probably change as I go further into my academic career, though. XD

    Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:


  24. #7999
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I find this to be one of the problems with textbooks supplementing teacher's lectures. The textbooks are either much, much clearer; or much, much harder to understand. It renders either the teacher or textbook useless. :/
    see what I wrote to Crimson Penguin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    Funny, I usually get more confused reading the book's explanations. Sometimes things are worded in a more complicated manner than they need to be. Once I understand something though, there's no stopping me. XD

    ...I honestly don't know what all you're referring to in the rest of your post, lol. Seems like there's so much to remember in chemistry, especially o-chem. I was taking a look through my general chemistry textbook a couple of weeks ago, and the "introduction to organic chemistry" chapter was the longest one in the book. How do you keep track of all those rules for naming compounds?!
    my professor has her personal notes.
    Also, naming organic compounds we follow IUPAC anyways, so you don't have to look at the book and look at IUPAC.
    Some things in Ochem are conventions, like the Cahn, Ingrid (?), Somebody (R), (S), (E), and (Z) nomenclature.

    okay, let me clarify that I don't read the book most of the time, I started to, then dropped. I find it easier to jump straight to the problem, try to do it, and look at the solution manual and see what happens. Things like resonance and stability etc. I can't forget when looking at each compound lol.
    Also, ochem is the kind of class that builds up and you can't forget a thing... if you remember lol.

    The solution manual is fun. XD BTW, do you use Wade's Ochem book?

    tl;dr:
    1) Nomenclatures follow IUPAC anyways
    2) I just do problems and look at solution manual. THE SOLUTION MANUAL

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    Yes, it would be nice if there was a better balance between the two. That being said, I usually don't study much out of the textbook anyway, except for the homework problems, since in almost all of the classes I've had, only the material covered in lecture is on the tests (besides, most of my professors have done well enough at explaining the material to the point that I don't have to supplement my notes with the book). I realize this will probably change as I go further into my academic career, though. XD
    You can't balance a book written by someone and published by a company, which is used by several education academic area lol

    interesting on the book though.. unless it's a liberal arts class, THOSE are the kind of classes that I have to read the book.
    Last edited by Kacho; 18th December 2012 at 5:06 AM.

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  25. #8000
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    Yes, it would be nice if there was a better balance between the two. That being said, I usually don't study much out of the textbook anyway, except for the homework problems, since in almost all of the classes I've had, only the material covered in lecture is on the tests (besides, most of my professors have done well enough at explaining the material to the point that I don't have to supplement my notes with the book). I realize this will probably change as I go further into my academic career, though. XD
    There are some classes (my chemistry class in particular) where I really don't need to use my textbook, so I just leave it at home to gather dust. I'm happy that I don't have to bring it to and from class everyday. :P

    Then there are my Spanish and math textbooks, which aren't that heavy individually, but it does suck to have to bring them both to and from class everyday.
    Of course, it doesn't help that I have both Spanish and math on the same day. :/





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Page 320 of 442 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330370420 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •