Page 324 of 446 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334374424 ... LastLast
Results 8,076 to 8,100 of 11147

Thread: The Student Lounge Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Hmm... it's often times the other way around for public schools. Public schools usually get off earlier, but private schools usually have random days off.
    Is that so? Hmm. It almost certainly differs between regions but I think around where I live, the ploy is that they keep public school students in school as long as possible, to hammer what we need to learn into our heads for as long as possible, owing to the fact that we're apparently all smoking, spitting, idiotic, anti-social and dirty teens who need to be sorted out with long school terms.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Is that so? Hmm. It almost certainly differs between regions but I think around where I live, the ploy is that they keep public school students in school as long as possible, to hammer what we need to learn into our heads for as long as possible, owing to the fact that we're apparently all smoking, spitting, idiotic, anti-social and dirty teens who need to be sorted out with long school terms.
    Well that explains it. =p

For private schools, we pay more, but go to school less... a bit of a rip-off if you ask me, but I can't exactly complain, since 1) the quality of teaching at my school is exceptional and 2) no one can complain about four-week-long winter breaks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Azran Flame View Post
    Well that explains it. =p

For private schools, we pay more, but go to school less... a bit of a rip-off if you ask me, but I can't exactly complain, since 1) the quality of teaching at my school is exceptional and 2) no one can complain about four-week-long winter breaks anyway.
    Four Week winter break? Good lord, I would pay to get a break that long over Christmas. It seems that all too often we break up just a few days before Christmas and then return to school just a few days after the New Year. Also not to mention that the general standard at our school is quite poor overall, so yeah, you've got it pretty good.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Four Week winter break? Good lord, I would pay to get a break that long over Christmas. It seems that all too often we break up just a few days before Christmas and then return to school just a few days after the New Year. Also not to mention that the general standard at our school is quite poor overall, so yeah, you've got it pretty good.
    There's always the 11+ entrance exams we have to worry about, too - we cant have it just after the New Year, but we can't have them interfering with the lessons, either... anyway. Yeah, I have to admit, I really am lucky to be going to my school, though we have to pay a ridiculous amount for it.

I think so. Well, I was seven when I first used '07, so that might have changed things (for example learning English back then was way easier than learning French or Chinese is for me right now), but still.

Also am I the only British student who's on their winter break already? Because I was out Christmas shopping today and I still saw kids with school uniforms on.
    Nope. I've been on hols since 11th cuz of aforementioned reasons ie lessons on Saturday
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

There's always the 11+ entrance exams we have to worry about, too - we cant have it just after the New Year, but we can't have them interfering with the lessons, either... anyway. Yeah, I have to admit, I really am lucky to be going to my school, though we have to pay a ridiculous amount for it.
    Yeah, I've heard that the exams are pretty brutal but I do suppose that the fact that they only accept the best is justified - although you do get a lot of ugly rivalries between public and private schools in the same area. There's a lot of cursing and beating going on from both sides a lot in my area. And as for the money issue... I think more people are concerned about tuition fees going up, seeing as with secondary education there's always a free option but with Universities it's either pay or don't attend...
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

That's alright, though. I'd be pretty happy if I got 2 A* but my parents wouldn't be.
    Really? I had exams towards the end of term even though I'm in 6th Grade and my highest was 87 in Latin. I got endless praise for the next two weeks. I came third in the class yet came second in English at 73. Frankly, I don't blame my awful comprehension skills at all, but comprehension itself for existing in the first place. Basically all the exams were either A's or B's for me. :/ Also I came 12th out of 18 in French at 84%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

Reading comprehension is pretty much the bane of my existence when it comes to English class. :/

I don't know why, but even if a story is relatively interesting, I can't seem to remember what happens in it when I'm taking a test.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I finally got my grades back, and they were mostly as expected (C in calculus, B in A&P, A in writing), but I somehow managed an A- in biochemistry, and I have literally no ****ing clue how that could have happened. I attended fewer than half of the classes (which counts towards 5% of the grade), and out of the 5 tests throughout the semester (which was 70% of the final grade), I only showed up to get three back, and they were a low and mid B and a high F (one test gets dropped, and though I felt good about taking the two tests I didn't get back, I don't think that they were that high). And then on the final (the remaining 25% of the grade), I had no clue what they were asking for the first quarter of the questions and just guessed (though now that I think about it, it was probably a two-semester test, and I'm only on the first half, so it was probably curved).

In short, I was expecting maybe a C, so I'm pretty confused right now. I think my professor either screwed up or has some strange, unwritten grading policy. Either way, I'm pretty stoked about it, as I benefited tremendously. Holla

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I finally got my grades back, and they were mostly as expected (C in calculus, B in A&P, A in writing), but I somehow managed an A- in biochemistry, and I have literally no ****ing clue how that could have happened. I attended fewer than half of the classes (which counts towards 5% of the grade), and out of the 5 tests throughout the semester (which was 70% of the final grade), I only showed up to get three back, and they were a low and mid B and a high F (one test gets dropped, and though I felt good about taking the two tests I didn't get back, I don't think that they were that high). And then on the final (the remaining 25% of the grade), I had no clue what they were asking for the first quarter of the questions and just guessed (though now that I think about it, it was probably a two-semester test, and I'm only on the first half, so it was probably curved).

In short, I was expecting maybe a C, so I'm pretty confused right now. I think my professor either screwed up or has some strange, unwritten grading policy. Either way, I'm pretty stoked about it, as I benefited tremendously. Holla
    Maybe your biochemistry classmates did even worse than you did. o:

In any case, congrats on your biochemistry grade. (:

Today was the most calm of any school day I experienced because of the holidays and Charlie. Plus I got gifts from my buddies in exchange for giving.

Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    Today was the most calm of any school day I experienced because of the holidays and Charlie. Plus I got gifts from my buddies in exchange for giving.
    Wow, usually it's the last day of school before Christmas that's the most exciting and loud day, with the "oh my gosh, I'm not going to see you for two or three weeks" around the school and all. Of course, the gift-giving, too.

There was a general but quiet sigh of relief today as the digital clock changed from 11:11 to 11:12 - most people didn't care. However, the day in general was a nice end to the term, apart from the maths test. Now I have to write two essays over the holidays, tweak another one, and read two books as well as do a pile of worksheets. Really hoping I can motivate myself to get it all done as soon as possible...

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    There was a general but quiet sigh of relief today as the digital clock changed from 11:11 to 11:12 - most people didn't care. However, the day in general was a nice end to the term, apart from the maths test. Now I have to write two essays over the holidays, tweak another one, and read two books as well as do a pile of worksheets. Really hoping I can motivate myself to get it all done as soon as possible...
    It's slightly better that Christmas is a bit earlier into the break than usual. If you celebrate Christmas, that's one less thing to worry getting too excited about. I'm sure that fact will help a bit in motivating you to finish your intersession homework. (:

I did booboo on one of my class

time to see if I need to retake it.

but then the class next sem is filled already

Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

It's slightly better that Christmas is a bit earlier into the break than usual. If you celebrate Christmas, that's one less thing to worry getting too excited about. I'm sure that fact will help a bit in motivating you to finish your intersession homework. (:
    Yeah - fortunately I've found that I'm a lot better focussing myself on tasks than general revision, because they have an end point, if you see what I mean? As in, you can finish them before the due date, but revision you have to do right up until the "due date". My main bother I guess would be my English essay. It's usually just getting started, though. Another thing I like about having a late break-up is that it makes it seem like a shorter time until Christmas, because you're preoccupied with school.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Yeah - fortunately I've found that I'm a lot better focussing myself on tasks than general revision, because they have an end point, if you see what I mean? As in, you can finish them before the due date, but revision you have to do right up until the "due date". My main bother I guess would be my English essay. It's usually just getting started, though. Another thing I like about having a late break-up is that it makes it seem like a shorter time until Christmas, because you're preoccupied with school.
    I find that there's no real place where revision can really "stop"; it just "discontinues" itself until it's needed again.

Having said that, yeah, it's better to get essays started on very early so that revision runs its full course. It'd be quite a shame if an essay only had its first two paragraphs revised because there could only be so much revision before the due date.

I find that there's no real place where revision can really "stop"; it just "discontinues" itself until it's needed again.

Having said that, yeah, it's better to get essays started on very early so that revision runs its full course. It'd be quite a shame if an essay only had its first two paragraphs revised because there could only be so much revision before the due date.
    Oh, sorry, by revision I meant like when you have a test and you study for it I think that's something we say more in Britain

My Animelist

Oh, sorry, by revision I meant like when you have a test and you study for it I think that's something we say more in Britain
    Fortunately, the same thing applies. Studying for a test is best done early, because cramming doesn't allow your brain to retain as much information as gradual studying. Plus, by studying from the very start, you get all the nitty-gritty details in case your teacher wants you to remember them. (:

My Geometry test wasn't so bad. With the amount of candy canes I ate today, I'll be awake until 2013!
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Current Hunt: Cresselia

And, I'm off for the semester! Two weeks of break, then one more semester of high school to go! And I already know that no one is giving a final second semester, expect maybe my AP Stats class. And I got an A+ in both AP Econ and AP Chem, so there goes two of my toughest classes.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Fortunately, the same thing applies. Studying for a test is best done early, because cramming doesn't allow your brain to retain as much information as gradual studying. Plus, by studying from the very start, you get all the nitty-gritty details in case your teacher wants you to remember them. (:
    Maybe that explains why I almost always get over-average marks on tests even when I don't revise that much... because my brain automatically "revises" the contents when I first learn them? I don't have photographic memory, but I think I'm the kind of person who can just recall information when needed, but not very well when they're not.

Maybe that explains why I almost always get over-average marks on tests even when I don't revise that much... because my brain automatically "revises" the contents when I first learn them? I don't have photographic memory, but I think I'm the kind of person who can just recall information when needed, but not very well when they're not.
    I'm like that, too. I basically forgot everything that I learned in ninth grade biology since I knew I wasn't going to need any of that. And that was only a year ago. o:

I'm like that, too. I basically forgot everything that I learned in ninth grade biology since I knew I wasn't going to need any of that. And that was only a year ago. o:
    So a bit like my mum with German... XD

(Also, I just noticed that your surname in your sig is "Akiyama"... as in, "Kiyama"... ahahahaha never mind me I'm just being crazy as usual)

I wing almost everything. As a result I either get really good grades. Or really bad grades

Page 324 of 446 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334374424 ... LastLast