Page 386 of 444 FirstFirst ... 286336376382383384385386387388389390396436 ... LastLast
Results 9,626 to 9,650 of 11089

Thread: The Student Lounge Thread.

I apply in less than two weeks and I'm like !!! because money and ugh

take me somewhere stars are still asleep.

I actually like learning, i read plenty of books for fun and to educate myself, and i enjoy learning from others and experiences, but school really depresses me im a senior in high school. I plan on going to college but i really dont know how im gonna stick it out .

Quote Originally Posted by flawlessazn View Post
    I'm taking Invertebrate Biology this semester, and we have to catch 50 different invertebrates.

If thats not bad enough, we have to freeze them, and pin them on a collection display ...

I dont even know why i chose this subject ...
    Collecting the specimens isn't the difficult part (generally speaking, and Varamus provided a lengthy list of catchable critters. Personally, I love invertebrates and handle them often). The difficult part for me would be killing the specimens for display. .___. If I step on a snail, I cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakansen View Post
    That reminds me of when my little sister was in first grade six years ago (FIRST GRADE!!). She had this project where she had to catch several bugs and pin them down to a piece of styrofoam.

We caught a grasshopper, pinned it down, and it was still alive for a few days...

Yeah.
    Which is precisely why the specimens must be killed before the pinning process :B

Quote Originally Posted by Kamran11 View Post
    I actually like learning, i read plenty of books for fun and to educate myself, and i enjoy learning from others and experiences, but school really depresses me im a senior in high school. I plan on going to college but i really dont know how im gonna stick it out .
    What aspect of school is depressing? Sincerely, academic duress can get me down in the dumps, when numerous responsibilities stretch me out too thin, like "butter spread over too much bread." Most students relate, and more importantly, in time, we learn to adjust.

1779 1165 5016

Quote Originally Posted by Rakansen View Post
    That reminds me of when my little sister was in first grade six years ago (FIRST GRADE!!). She had this project where she had to catch several bugs and pin them down to a piece of styrofoam.

We caught a grasshopper, pinned it down, and it was still alive for a few days...
    Yeah, you avoid that by soaking a cotton ball in ethanol, putting the cotton ball in a bottle with a cap, and then putting the insects in the bottle. That will kill them, and then you're not torturing them when you pin them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardly Oz View Post
    Collecting the specimens isn't the difficult part (generally speaking, and Varamus provided a lengthy list of catchable critters. Personally, I love invertebrates and handle them often). The difficult part for me would be killing the specimens for display. .___. If I step on a snail, I cry.
    I'm the same way. I'm a biologist and I love all bugs and invertebrates, but it's hard for me to kill them But you have to do it if you want to learn about them.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

University is actually so much work and all the other first year students are feeling it.

So glad I'm taking French and German this semester or else I'd be dead with an actual 5 course load.

Star-Lord

Ugh... one of my online classes hasn't posted any assignments in the last 2 weeks. I wonder what the deal is. I almost forgot I was taking that class because of that.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

What aspect of school is depressing? Sincerely, academic duress can get me down in the dumps, when numerous responsibilities stretch me out too thin, like "butter spread over too much bread." Most students relate, and more importantly, in time, we learn to adjust.
    Pretty much the academic pressure gets overwhelming for me and im trying to maintain good grades ,but i really have a hard time adjusting to how these teachers teach. Example: Im pretty shy and it makes me very anxious in many situations, but some teachers base their class on participation(presentations, asking questions) and discussion which is difficult for me.

One thing I want to get is a Tablet, but there are so many out in the market. I think they can be good for school, due to their portability. They weigh less than laptops too. I am considering an iPad Mini.

However, what do you guys think is the best tablet? Is there a tablet better than the iPad?
    About to do an X Scramble Challenge!!!
    Let me know if you would like to trade or battle!
    3DS Friend Code: 1779-0043-7163
    Name on 3DS: BT

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    Yeah, you avoid that by soaking a cotton ball in ethanol, putting the cotton ball in a bottle with a cap, and then putting the insects in the bottle. That will kill them, and then you're not torturing them when you pin them down.

I'm the same way. I'm a biologist and I love all bugs and invertebrates, but it's hard for me to kill them But you have to do it if you want to learn about them.
    I am currently revising an arthropod identification guide. The project abstains from killing the specimen before study and photography, so its process is almost entirely catch and release. But it's only prolonging the inevitable - sometime soon, I know I will have to set out pitfall traps and kill the specimens myself.

Pretty much the academic pressure gets overwhelming for me and im trying to maintain good grades ,but i really have a hard time adjusting to how these teachers teach. Example: Im pretty shy and it makes me very anxious in many situations, but some teachers base their class on participation(presentations, asking questions) and discussion which is difficult for me.
    Mmmm as an introvert myself, I completely understand. Speaking to a crowd is difficult; actually, most people don't find it easy, and some are just good at being able to hide or subdue the nervous turmoil within. But don't let your situation in senior year dampen your optimism for the future. College is much different than high school. You have the ability to take classes more suited to your liking, and I have never taken a discussion-intensive class. You will find there are probably internships available which entail constructive interaction with other people that is fun, not daunting or stressful. What are you interested in studying?

1779 1165 5016

Oh yeah, I am Biology graduate too. I really enjoyed my studies. The field classes were way better than the lab classes in my opinion. I loved being able to outside the normal classroom. I had a research project to measure the Electrochemistry between Ponds and Streams. It was fun! We got to shock fish, get samples of sediments, measure dissolved oxygen content. Biology is amazing!

Right now, I am pursuing a Masters of Public Health in Nutrition. The classes are all online, so that gives me a chance to find a job somewhere. I really trying to boos up my resume. I WANT A JOB!
    About to do an X Scramble Challenge!!!
    Let me know if you would like to trade or battle!
    3DS Friend Code: 1779-0043-7163
    Name on 3DS: BT

Quote Originally Posted by crobatman View Post
    Oh yeah, I am Biology graduate too. I really enjoyed my studies. The field classes were way better than the lab classes in my opinion. I loved being able to outside the normal classroom. I had a research project to measure the Electrochemistry between Ponds and Streams. It was fun! We got to shock fish, get samples of sediments, measure dissolved oxygen content. Biology is amazing!

Right now, I am pursuing a Masters of Public Health in Nutrition. The classes are all online, so that gives me a chance to find a job somewhere. I really trying to boos up my resume. I WANT A JOB!
    Field work is super fun! I find it baffling that many of my science peers haven't pursued internships and the like to get down and dirty with the stuff they love. I very much wanted to take a dedicated field class on birds, but alas -- the stupid upperclassmen get priority enrollment, and I couldn't get in. Ah well, 'tis the life of a lower division undergraduate. I am taking an upper division entomology class, though, only because the professor made an exception. Hopefully the entomology class will entail more hands-on work.
    I might get a job dissecting insects....... a long as I do not have to kill anything, I will be quite pleased.

1779 1165 5016

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    Yeah, I remember doing that, I vaguely remember why we couldn't for the grasshopper, though.

:::

Today was quite interesting. When my friends and I went to the locker room for Physical Education, we noticed that the air felt stuffy and smelly, the next thing we know the teachers told my class to change as quickly as we can because security was going to inspect the lockers. Apparently someone brought cannabis to school and smoked it in the locker room. Yeah.

After school was the first gamer's club meeting, unfortunately I didn't bring anything so I didn't get to do much, I'm bringing my 3DS next week so I can play Kid Icarus: Uprising with other people.
    "There are bad ways to win - and good ways to lose. What's interesting is that it's not always clear which is which. A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all..." - Grimsley

3DS: 2836 • 0189 • 795
    Pokémon Showdown: Witeldram
    Safari:
    Fighting - Sawk, Meditite, Riolu

Mmmm as an introvert myself, I completely understand. Speaking to a crowd is difficult; actually, most people don't find it easy, and some are just good at being able to hide or subdue the nervous turmoil within. But don't let your situation in senior year dampen your optimism for the future. College is much different than high school. You have the ability to take classes more suited to your liking, and I have never taken a discussion-intensive class. You will find there are probably internships available which entail constructive interaction with other people that is fun, not daunting or stressful. What are you interested in studying?
    Nice to know someone understands , and yea I have heard college is different and better then high school. Im really not sure as to what i want to do exactly right now i really think i want to help people so i've been thinking about going into psychology or social sciences. I worry alot about my future though and i really dont want to end up with a career i dont really like. I understand that i don't know what type of job i like until i try it though. I dont want to waste my time switching but i guess i have to focus and be positive.

I've got to revise for a Biology test on Monday and a Maths test on Tuesday... but first I must finish my English commentary D:

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Question for anyone who has received a high score on the SATs: what are some things you did in order to prepare for the test? I take it in three weeks, and I really need to score well.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Jesus christ, only went back to school a few weeks ago but already feel like death because of A2 courses. English lit is probably the worst, somehow the ability to critically analyse passages of text has totally vanished.

Seriously, all I do is sit there and stare at the paper for about ten minutes and make one annotation, something like "the use of the speech marks here indicate that a person is speaking".

University, here I come.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

So begins my 3rd year in College (actually it started 2 weeks ago) and it's just like I thought it would be, no easier then the first two years :-P

I enjoy the classes...but man is my schedule a pain
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    So begins my 3rd year in College (actually it started 2 weeks ago) and it's just like I thought it would be, no easier then the first two years :-P

I enjoy the classes...but man is my schedule a pain
    I've developed ideal study habits, but how rigorous is college in general for the first two years (general courses mainly)?
    Looking for:
    - 5-6 IV Beldum Family Member (Non-English)
    - HA Fletchling Family Member
    - Drifloon Family Member (Non-English)

Quote Originally Posted by BAP Blackjack View Post
    I've developed ideal study habits, but how rigorous is college in general for the first two years (general courses mainly)?
    For me, it's been back and forth for schedule times. 1st year I had morning classes, 2nd year I didn't, now I have one again. My signature explains the big class, but my schedule has me going to class 5 days a week at different times. Art History in the morning (ugh...) 3D animation later in the even on Monday's and Wednesday's. One class in the afternoon (4pm-5pm) which is my Scripting class (code scripting). And Friday being one class as well in the evening (It's scheduled from 5pm-11pm, but we get out earlier then that), it's an Imaging class using Adobe Aftereffects. All this while being a commuter. It sucks that I don't have a job yet, but with this schedule, it's pretty much a blessing
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

First day all moved into my dorm room: I woke up early this morning to make coffee in the community kitchen some distance away, when I forgot the building key, locking myself out. I sat pensively for 10 minutes alongside my painfully empty French press until a guy with fluffy hair let me back in. I made my coffee; 'twas a happy ending.
    It's looking to be a good year, albeit I am worried that everyone on my floor are nocturnal and will keep me up until the wee hours of the morning, like they did last night.......

Nice to know someone understands , and yea I have heard college is different and better then high school. Im really not sure as to what i want to do exactly right now i really think i want to help people so i've been thinking about going into psychology or social sciences. I worry alot about my future though and i really dont want to end up with a career i dont really like. I understand that i don't know what type of job i like until i try it though. I dont want to waste my time switching but i guess i have to focus and be positive.
    That's why internships and volunteer work are so essential; they provide you with a taste of potential career choices. Going into higher level education is just the beginning, not the end; you have A LOT of time to prepare and really get familiar with the kind of stuff you like. It's a time for testing and playing with things, not making crucial decisions. Take a psychology class, take a social sciences class -- take a biology class (woot!), and from there, just take a step forward. Like I said, there's no rush or sudden plunge into anything.

1779 1165 5016

Going to start my university life from next week.

Truth to be told, I am nervous, and expecting a huge change in my life.

Okay, I just came back from a rather odd class, where we had to write a text in pairs. The thing was, me and the guy who I was supposed to write the text with were completely burned out. We ended up coming with this really dumb joke idea where's like this circle of death. Like, x dies because of something that was triggered by y who dies because of something triggered by z and it'd keep going but then end with someone dying because of something x triggered. Then we noticed that there were only 10 minutes left and we ended up putting our joke idea in paper.

I wonder how our teacher will react to that, lol.

For some reason I am lazy and dont normally do well in some classes. I tend to understand things very well but am too lazy to apply what I have learned in assignments. What is wrong with me -_-
    Latest Shiny!

Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Pie! View Post
    Going to start my university life from next week.

Truth to be told, I am nervous, and expecting a huge change in my life.
    Everyone gets nervous about starting. Trust me, you're not alone.

So then, I was not able to get done all the reading I needed to get done. I think I need more sleep since I woke up really tired. I even got about 8 hours of sleep last night.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

That's why internships and volunteer work are so essential; they provide you with a taste of potential career choices. Going into higher level education is just the beginning, not the end; you have A LOT of time to prepare and really get familiar with the kind of stuff you like. It's a time for testing and playing with things, not making crucial decisions. Take a psychology class, take a social sciences class -- take a biology class (woot!), and from there, just take a step forward. Like I said, there's no rush or sudden plunge into anything.
    Yeah, your right im probably just too caught up worrying about it. Thanks for the advice bro.

Page 386 of 444 FirstFirst ... 286336376382383384385386387388389390396436 ... LastLast