Page 427 of 446 FirstFirst ... 327377417423424425426427428429430431437 ... LastLast
Results 10,651 to 10,675 of 11147

Thread: The Student Lounge Thread.

Finally finished my exams!
    The last one on Thursday was quite challenging as well, particularly the last bit on one of the questions which was to device a retrosynthetic analysis and a forward synthesis of a molecule using many steps and interconversions. I managed to get a sensible forward synthesis in the end but didn't have time to properly write out the retrosynthetic analysis, but I think overall it went ok.
    Congrats on your last one, zhixun, hope it goes well for you!
    Current HG BQ:

hung from the underbelly of the earth,
    while the stars skid away, below,
    gormless and brakeless, gravel-loose,
    falling silent as gavels in the snow

Not sure this is completely relevant (still, it counts for high school creds, so I guess) but I finally finished my chinese school exam today. There's still a parent/teacher meeting next Saturday, but I'm pretty much home-free until September again. Though, they say that the teacher I had this year is the most strict throughout all the grades, and I do think there's some truth in that. The higher grades' biggest dilemmas are their karaoke contests...

Anyways, I'll admit I cheated on today's exam. Kind of. I slipped in sheets of words into my shoes, wrote them on the inside of a belt, underneath a band-aid, drew symbolic pictures on my eraser, etc. Didn't amount to much, as nearly none of those were even answers for any of the questions. So I kind of bombed it, but oh well. First time I've cheated on a test since second grade, I think. Hopefully this won't become a habit...

Well, let me tell you guys about two bad days that I had last year.

On my first day of high school, I fainted in one of my classes. Yep XD. It was a workshop class (At my high school, they make all the new students do all of the elective classes in the first semester so they have a taste of each class), and you have to stand at all times. I hadn't had breakfast or anything to eat/drink in the past twenty-four hours, so after thirty minutes of class, I collapsed. I was somewhat carried to the staff room of the block area, and I got something to drink and something to eat. I was able to spend the rest of the class time just relaxing, so I guess that was good.

My second bad day was when my high school had injections. Everyone was freaking out/crying about it because they didn't like needles, and I didn't either, but hell, if it stops me from getting ovarian cancer or HIV, I'm good.

So when I got my needles, I was calm about it. I got a cotton ball taped to my arm after the needle, and went to sit in the 'Reaction Area'. After several minutes of sitting there, talking to my friend, I started feeling dizzy and went to look at my injected arm. The cotton ball was completely red with blood. I got a teacher, and we went to see the nurse that had given me my injection (Qualified nurse, by the way.) and apparently, she had punctured a blood vessel. Yep. So I had to put a lot of pressure on it in order to stop the bleed, making me almost black out, and afterwards, had to go sit in a special area were all the other kids with reactions to the injections were. I had something to drink, while also continuously applying pressure on my arm. I actually started laughing because of how scared and nervous I was (Also because I was quite delirious at that point), and after having a lollipop and staying there for ten minutes, I was fit enough to go back to class.

Oh, except the arm that the nurse punctured was my writing arm. So I spent the day not being able to do school work, or draw. Talk about some bad days, uh?

-Creativity is just another word for Insanity-

So I was looking at a fire blanket one day and I thought "Because fire totally wants to sleep at night. Maybe Americium can sing you a lullaby." ~ Skye-42, 2014

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favourites."
    -Elite Four Karen

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Quote Originally Posted by Skye-42 View Post
    My second bad day was when my high school had injections. Everyone was freaking out/crying about it because they didn't like needles, and I didn't either, but hell, if it stops me from getting ovarian cancer or HIV, I'm good.

So when I got my needles, I was calm about it. I got a cotton ball taped to my arm after the needle, and went to sit in the 'Reaction Area'. After several minutes of sitting there, talking to my friend, I started feeling dizzy and went to look at my injected arm. The cotton ball was completely red with blood. I got a teacher, and we went to see the nurse that had given me my injection (Qualified nurse, by the way.) and apparently, she had punctured a blood vessel. Yep. So I had to put a lot of pressure on it in order to stop the bleed, making me almost black out, and afterwards, had to go sit in a special area were all the other kids with reactions to the injections were. I had something to drink, while also continuously applying pressure on my arm. I actually started laughing because of how scared and nervous I was (Also because I was quite delirious at that point), and after having a lollipop and staying there for ten minutes, I was fit enough to go back to class.

Oh, except the arm that the nurse punctured was my writing arm. So I spent the day not being able to do school work, or draw. Talk about some bad days, uh?
    AAAAAGHH

I'm extremely scared of needles (just reading your post makes it feel like it's hard to breathe), but it's still necessary to get them at school. I've never heard of anything like that happening, but it sounds... pretty bad, to put it mildly. See, they tell us to trust our doctors, but it's stuff like this that makes that kind of difficult. Cool story, though. Must've been quite... interesting? And the fainting on the first day is something to brag about too. Uh, well, talk about, at least.

So, I don't know what makes tomorrow special, but nearly none of my teachers will be at school. That makes it basically an entire 'subsitute' day. The day after that, I've gotta get to school before seven in the morning (easier said than done, as I kind of messed up my schedule, and I'm waking up at noon when I'm allowed to sleep in). I'll be going on a field trip for three days, two nights, which is always exciting. It's for band, and since the conductor's wife is close to her due date, he might not even go! I'm not exactly sure how a band (much less a school band of 13-14 year olds) is supposed to organize itself, but some people have suggested the percussion just drum out a beat. tl;dr I'm screwed

My mom has been pestering me about getting a grad dress, as well. Wondering if I should skip just so I don't have to go out and pick one. (the end-of-year laziness has long settled in, unfortunately)

Tomorrow, for my summer program, we'll be working at cadavers, which for a 19-year-old, is an incredible opportunity. For those of you who don't know, a cadaver is the medical term for a human corpse. I just have to review anatomy basics that were sent to me in a document attached to an email (of course I procrastinated looking at it until Sunday night). I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Skye-42 View Post
    Well, let me tell you guys about two bad days that I had last year.

On my first day of high school, I fainted in one of my classes. Yep XD. It was a workshop class (At my high school, they make all the new students do all of the elective classes in the first semester so they have a taste of each class), and you have to stand at all times. I hadn't had breakfast or anything to eat/drink in the past twenty-four hours, so after thirty minutes of class, I collapsed. I was somewhat carried to the staff room of the block area, and I got something to drink and something to eat. I was able to spend the rest of the class time just relaxing, so I guess that was good.

Yeah, that really sucks. But I wouldn't judge everyone in health professions for one person's mistake. Still, if you have a fear of needles, then I would understand because of your experience. But I'll never relate to why people in general fear needles. It's just something they stick in your arm for some good reason.

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

My prom dress arrived today, hehe. Looking forward to wearing it, but it's shorter than I thought it'd be, so I'm going to have to wear it with leggings, which might get a bit warm. Ah, well...

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    My prom dress arrived today, hehe. Looking forward to wearing it, but it's shorter than I thought it'd be, so I'm going to have to wear it with leggings, which might get a bit warm. Ah, well...
    Are you wearing it for graduation? I am also graduating this year but I hate dressing up. Especially wearing a suit with a tie in this hot weather.

The legendary grand cumulative field trip is from tomorrow until Thursday, and most of my homework is done, which means I should theoretically have nothing to worry about.

Now, if only I didn't have an impending death at the hands of music history and harmony exams this summer, I'd really be home free...

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    I graduated on June 26, 2013 because **** my school.

Wow, I can't believe you took AP Bio as a freshman. That's crazy! And you not knowing The Island made me feel old but those two summer books are really interesting. I've always had problems getting into books that I'm forced to read, but Fahrenheit and LotF are very dark and I really liked them. If I had to pick one, I'd lean on LotF as the one I prefer.
    I didn't take AP Biology as a freshman, my General Science class just had to go into the AP Bio classroom because our teacher wasn't there that day. I want to take it as a senior though.

:::

Man, I feel like finishing summer work early, but I'm too caught up with other things. I can't wait to go to SoCal on Wednesday, during the drive there I'll probably try working on my Algebra 2 summer work, if I feel motivated enough.

I wonder how lively this thread is going to be during summer break, though? Some people may still be at school during the season, but most people will be on break.

3DS: 2836 • 0189 • 795
    Pokémon Showdown: Witeldram
    Safari:
    Fighting - Sawk, Meditite, Riolu

Any ideas about a future career for Mathematics graduate? If I do not attain an upper second then I am going to miss my offers. I studied Pure Mathematics but I am not sure what I can do next if I can not go for a PhD later.

4 more days till the end of my school year, it's really weird considering my old school ended on May 27th.
    FC: 2208-5493-1047

Quote Originally Posted by Rakansen View Post

I wonder how lively this thread is going to be during summer break, though? Some people may still be at school during the season, but most people will be on break.
    Certainly not as active as during the school year, for sure. But this thread has stayed alive for years, and no doubt it remains that way thanks to summer school students and the like.

Woo. Graduated from high school this weekend and looking forward to at least 8 more years of school. I jest, really excited for college but for now I'm going to chill and enjoy the Summer Break. Thankfully being valedictorian means free college for me so that's a bonus. Just wondering what are everyone else's summer plans.

Signature Credit: The Comet
    My Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dark/Legendary Master View Post
    Woo. Graduated from high school this weekend and looking forward to at least 8 more years of school. I jest, really excited for college but for now I'm going to chill and enjoy the Summer Break. Thankfully being valedictorian means free college for me so that's a bonus. Just wondering what are everyone else's summer plans.
    Are you aiming for a PhD when you finish your undergraduate degree? I enjoy the school time and I hope that I can have 8 years of school too.

Quote Originally Posted by zhixun View Post
    Are you aiming for a PhD when you finish your undergraduate degree? I enjoy the school time and I hope that I can have 8 years of school too.
    Yeah. Got to get through college then med school. But the payoff in the end will be worth the wait.

My Tumblr

Last day for me! My AP Chemistry exam was rather difficult, but I think I did decently. We're just watching movies in every class, even in Spanish, which is weird because my Spanish teacher is completely against anything that isn't hard work in class, and she's been strangely happy lately. I think she killed some students' grades with her ridiculously hard final exam (thankfully I'm good at it, so I aced it)
    Friend Code: 5215-1099-2937
    Y IGN: Jin
    Omega Ruby IGN: Haruka

Quote Originally Posted by Archsage View Post
    Last day for me! My AP Chemistry exam was rather difficult, but I think I did decently. We're just watching movies in every class, even in Spanish, which is weird because my Spanish teacher is completely against anything that isn't hard work in class, and she's been strangely happy lately. I think she killed some students' grades with her ridiculously hard final exam (thankfully I'm good at it, so I aced it)
    Oh God I remember AP Chem. Hardest class I've ever taken. The good thing about finals and having AP Classes is you just chill out and do nothing near the end.

My Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by zhixun View Post
    Are you wearing it for graduation? I am also graduating this year but I hate dressing up. Especially wearing a suit with a tie in this hot weather.
    I left school in April with exams in May, but no more official lessons - it's a little different from America, I think, so we didn't really have an official graduation. We're just having a prom now at the end of June - people doing a parallel course to mine end a lot later. (Their exams aren't even over yet, actually, whereas my last one was the 16th May).

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

My semester exams were officially over yesterday , next ones will be when ORAS comes out ;_;
    I hope I do well, these results will allow me to choose what subjects I can do next year,..... now just 3 weeks till end of term....
    I have claimed

Just had my last exam, genuinely not hyperbolising when I say it was was an unmitigated disaster. I know I slacked on the revision, but it came through painfully clear just how much I had overlooked when I effectively threw in the towel with my education a few weeks ago. Well, since I've already resigned to the fact I won't get into uni, there's just the small matter of what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

About two and a half weeks left of my summer o chem class. I will be really happy when it's over. I haven't been enjoying it at all.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

Got around 4 and a half weeks of school left, one week of which will be just straight exams. An open evening tomorrow, and more revision than I can handle.
    This is going to be fun
    In some ways, I lived in America, so I would get to end school sooner. Oh well, at least I'm private so I get to leave one week before the state schools. And next year should be fun, I won't have Latin or Geography or any other subjects I don't really like... Thank god for options.

Agression, Destruction.
    Meowstic is officially mine!

Credit to SM

So the semester ended May 16th, but grades finally came in for me. A in American Cultures on California, A- in Spanish Literature, C+ in American Forestry, and C+ in the second half of Single Variable Calculus. I actually hoped that the first two would be that way, so I'm glad they ended like that. I didn't get a single A first semester, so that alone made things better. C+ in American Forestry is my fault for not coming to most of the lectures, I'm lucky the class was easy otherwise.

Calculus here is insane though, so I'm glad I actually got a C+ instead of just a C. Like, Taylor/MacLaurin Series and stuff is already hard as it is, but our university takes it to the next level, simply for the purpose of weeding people out of math. I really wish my high school had AP Calculus BC, because our campus makes it so much harder than it needs to be. I did stress about whether or not I'd pass the class when I saw my final was 57/200 with the average being ~100/200, but my worst fears didn't come true, thankfully. If anything, that says a lot about how difficult the class was.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    So the semester ended May 16th, but grades finally came in for me. A in American Cultures on California, A- in Spanish Literature, C+ in American Forestry, and C+ in the second half of Single Variable Calculus. I actually hoped that the first two would be that way, so I'm glad they ended like that. I didn't get a single A first semester, so that alone made things better. C+ in American Forestry is my fault for not coming to most of the lectures, I'm lucky the class was easy otherwise.

Calculus here is insane though, so I'm glad I actually got a C+ instead of just a C. Like, Taylor/MacLaurin Series and stuff is already hard as it is, but our university takes it to the next level, simply for the purpose of weeding people out of math. I really wish my high school had AP Calculus BC, because our campus makes it so much harder than it needs to be. I did stress about whether or not I'd pass the class when I saw my final was 57/200 with the average being ~100/200, but my worst fears didn't come true, thankfully. If anything, that says a lot about how difficult the class was.
    Do you mean Calculus in differentiation and integration? I study that course quite thoroughly in university and it was called Analysis. Basically that course justifies all the assumptions on the standard results on differentiation rigorously. Later there is a course called Functional Analysis and it generalises to a more general spaces. You can have a look of lecture notes on the web to see how difficult the course is since there are plenty of theorems to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Just had my last exam, genuinely not hyperbolising when I say it was was an unmitigated disaster. I know I slacked on the revision, but it came through painfully clear just how much I had overlooked when I effectively threw in the towel with my education a few weeks ago. Well, since I've already resigned to the fact I won't get into uni, there's just the small matter of what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life.
    That sucks :/ I'm sorry to hear it. Which course were you thinking of at uni? You'd probably still be able to get in through clearing if you needed to.

My Animelist

Page 427 of 446 FirstFirst ... 327377417423424425426427428429430431437 ... LastLast