Page 438 of 446 FirstFirst ... 338388428434435436437438439440441442 ... LastLast
Results 10,926 to 10,950 of 11147

Thread: The Student Lounge Thread.

So for the final 20-25 minutes of Exploration of the Humanities we watched Marvel Legos.

#winning

FC:3754-6803-1211

4th day of high school tomorrow, thank god it'll be friday. I haven't had any time to enjoy myself, I've been busy signing papers and organzing papers and doing homework. But I might be going to the football game if lots of other freshman are going, so gahhh. I've been going to bed earlier, too, but I'm still tired in the morning when I wake up, and I'm usually a morning person. Hopefully next week will be better.

Just enrolled officially to my uni, and they've given me a load of different places I need to go on different days in order to fully enroll in my course and pick all my modules. Apparently, you usually take an extra subject to make up all your credits, but that doesn't seem to apply to my course.

Anyway, I do have a question: How much homework (I don't know if you still call it that at uni) do you usually get a week during your first year of uni? I know it will fluctuate over the year, but I was just wondering what I should prepare myself for, since I've heard differing views. I'm doing languages, if that'll make a difference.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    Just enrolled officially to my uni, and they've given me a load of different places I need to go on different days in order to fully enroll in my course and pick all my modules. Apparently, you usually take an extra subject to make up all your credits, but that doesn't seem to apply to my course.

Anyway, I do have a question: How much homework (I don't know if you still call it that at uni) do you usually get a week during your first year of uni? I know it will fluctuate over the year, but I was just wondering what I should prepare myself for, since I've heard differing views. I'm doing languages, if that'll make a difference.
    In general, expect a fair amount of work out of class. Though it really depends on the specific classes and professors.

i.e. My classes & "Homeworks":
    Exploration of the Humanities - Reading is the major "homework" assignment here. (Odyssey, Hunger Games, Hamlet, Frankenstein, Great Gatsby)
    Earthquakes and Volcanos - So far it looks to be simply studying before any upcoming tests
    Intro to ATEC - Maintaining a Tumblr as a "research journal" (Interesting concept this is)
    Fundamentals of Programming for Non-Majors - Weekly assignments/activities.
    Freshman Seminar - Taking 4 spread-out selfies in/at specific events/times (Yes, the biggest grade factor outside of showing up is taking selfies)

Really not all that bad. Just time spent reading the current book and taking care of a few programming activities online really.

FC:3754-6803-1211

I got literally nothing this first week and a half. Well, outside of some minor reading assignments and short math work. That's got a lot to do with the fact that I'm majoring in Applied Math, though. Anything language-related is bound to get a significant amount of work though, particularly in reading.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Just finished my first week of my 2nd year at college and I'm ready to sleep the weekend away.
    I had a completely full day; Media, Creative Writing, Religion and Philosophy (which is compulsory, damn Catholic college) and finished off with Film Studies.

It's going to be a long year, but at least I don't have to be in until 1pm on monday!
    Found my way back here after what seems like forever, not much has changed.

My Tumblr (For all the fangirling trauma and day to day rambles hah)

Computer Scientists and Engineers in general don't tend to get a lot of homework, more "projects" but not too much work, most of our learning and grade is determined by tests, horrible, grueling, nauseating tests. Honestly though, the work won't be hard, more time consuming, but still not that much, I've wasted so much time not having to study and do homework. I really need to get off my butt though if I want to actually get a job when I graduate, smeh, competition.
    ... -_-' What, were you expecting a cookie?

It really depends what courses you take. I tend to take math and physics homework, both of which have weekly homeworks (except maybe during exams) and often are rather demanding. Physics homework can reasonably take six to eight hours per week per assignment.

That said, most courses (e.g. my GE courses) tend to be project based. The most common project you'll inevitably do are essays, and I find infrequent projects much more manageable since you don't need to worry about your week-over-week schedule. That said, those projects also require a lot more time management, particularly if you need to do a lot of research or reading beforehand. More project-based courses also tend to involve discussions, which often require doing readings week-over-week in regards to the school's class.

Either way, grossly speaking, I've found my first semester homework load to be underwhelming. So much so that I took the maximum amount of units the following semester, and that was a bad idea. After that, so long as I had no more than three major courses, I've found my homework load manageable.

I also took a year of Latin during my first year in university. I took three years of Latin, which was equivalent to about a semester and a half of Latin in university. There was nightly homework and weekly quizzes. The homework was seldom collected, rather, we were asked to translate passages in class. I was usually able to translate in class due to my high school experience. During second half of the semester semester, however, I often had to spend 30 minutes to an hour a night translating a passage. So, yeah, that was a non-trivial amount of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    That's actually really common in universities, as far as I know. I'm taking Multivariable/Vector Calculus and we don't use calculators either (and our school is among the most elite of the elite when it comes to math). I think it has something to do with the fact that it's easier when problems aren't reliant on calculators both for you and for graders, but there could be something else to it that I'm missing. Either way, nobody likes finding a number like 47/13 or 4.319191 in their final answer.
    Most of mathematics professors I had for upper division math don't even specify a calculator policy because they know they will be useless. Moreover, in some other math classes where a handheld calculator is actually needed, the professor needs to make a point that you *need* to bring your calculator to the test. The most common example are inferential statistics, since all the integrals (i.e. "scores") you use in that course can only be solved numerically. Vector calculus (and I mean vector calculus specifically--not the rest of multivariable calculus) has some integrals that not even Wolfram Alpha can help you solve. hello line integrals. These problems need to be done by hand, or at least reduced sufficiently such that a symbolic algebra program can solve it.

Even in cases where the numbers aren't integers, most professors in calculus wanted exact answers (e.g. log(2) was written was log(2) and not 0.69...). This habit often carried over in calculus III and beyond, so even when numbers weren't nice round integers, we were just expected to represent them exactly.
    Last edited by Zora; 6th September 2014 at 7:57 AM.

I have a fair amount of homework to do this weekend, but I am feeling too dang tired to do anything right now. Not sure what to do about this.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

im a college senior but my procrastination level is unstably high xD

Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

School started and I just had 5+ pre tests.

First week done, and not much to note. I've a big packet of homework, but it's all fairly easy, so I'm not worrying about it.

Computer tech / Business is marvellously boring, though. I've sat in class for the past week while the teacher explained how to open an image in Photoshop. So difficult...

I got Italian 1 at school. I never wanted Italian 1. I wanted Spanish 1 this year but EVERYBODY takes Spanish so they gave me Italian although I'd prefer French over Italian because I find French easier than Italian to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Huhadude View Post
    I got Italian 1 at school. I never wanted Italian 1. I wanted Spanish 1 this year but EVERYBODY takes Spanish so they gave me Italian although I'd prefer French over Italian because I find French easier than Italian to speak.
    Italian and French are fairly similar, if I'm not mistaken. Besides, some italian terms are already present in most music, and I remember everyone having to play the recorder as children, at least where I live. Headstart...?

Quote Originally Posted by Keysmash View Post
    Italian and French are fairly similar, if I'm not mistaken. Besides, some italian terms are already present in most music, and I remember everyone having to play the recorder as children, at least where I live. Headstart...?
    Ehh, they're really not that similar. There are some words you can work out from French, but not that much - I'd say some of the similarities may be confusing more than anything else. The pronunciation is certainly a lot different. I find Italian much easier to pronounce than French.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

So I've started my second year of the BTEC ICT course I'm doing. This week is the enrolment week, so no lessons this week.; they start next week for me. Little nervous of starting another hectic year, but I'm hoping I can handle it.

^Good luck! My friend's doing exactly the same (I think, anyway. If not, then similar).

My Animelist

So I finally got transferred to my friend's film class...and we already have our first coursework project set. I have to do a research project which I will have to present and all in all it's hideously long but relatively interesting, my topic is Representation of women in action films - my lecturer's choice out of 3 ideas - and I have to have a detailed powerpoint and annotated catalogue (glorified bibliography) for the end of the month....hurrah. I just have to make sure I don't get distracted by either my friends or the guy I have a slight crush on...

It's only the second week back but I'm already sick of the first years who have somehow joined the friendship group...they're so irritating but I can't tell them to go away because I'll end up being the bad person...I might just hide in the media dept all year.
    Found my way back here after what seems like forever, not much has changed.

My Tumblr (For all the fangirling trauma and day to day rambles hah)

Three exams next week...and a lot to do to prepare for them. Why must I be so sleepy? I need the energy to work on stuff.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

no exams until october

still gonna be hella tired thanks to the two-week span at the end of this month where i'm forced to have less rest time between my workouts

(have i mentioned that i LOVE grad school so far)
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

So I have this statistics report to turn in in 17 hours (along with a lab and some problems). Now the stuff is pretty easy, I can get it done by around 5 or 6am today, and since I have classes in the afternoon, I would have plenty of time for a nap before leaving. The problem is getting 50 people to each answer 3 questions so I can create the report. And preferably I would need proof of them answering. Anybody got an idea? Maybe a poll or something? I have never made one....
    LOOKING FOR ITEMS? I GOT YOU COVERED
    For those still playing 4th Gen: Tired of searching the wild for held items? Hit me up. Shards, Stones, Lights Balls, even Soul Dews. Also offering every Non Legendary for your Pokedex Completion. PM me with Offers and Requests

I HAVE CLAIMED BAHAMUT, KING OF SUMMONS
    FC 1550 8079 7411

Quote Originally Posted by Search_Ops_TeamD View Post
    So I have this statistics report to turn in in 17 hours (along with a lab and some problems). Now the stuff is pretty easy, I can get it done by around 5 or 6am today, and since I have classes in the afternoon, I would have plenty of time for a nap before leaving. The problem is getting 50 people to each answer 3 questions so I can create the report. And preferably I would need proof of them answering. Anybody got an idea? Maybe a poll or something? I have never made one....
    You might be able to use the forums here to get some answers, not just asking people in real life? Just an idea, but you'd have proof then.

Anyway, I leave for uni in about a week. One of my friends is leaving tomorrow and is really scared. I'm personally really excited, but just scared to be leaving my friends, really. Any friends who left school, though, I've managed to keep in touch with, so it should be all right, especially with the Internet and all.

My Animelist

Anyway, I leave for uni in about a week. One of my friends is leaving tomorrow and is really scared. I'm personally really excited, but just scared to be leaving my friends, really. Any friends who left school, though, I've managed to keep in touch with, so it should be all right, especially with the Internet and all.
    Good luck! Keep in touch, of course, but it's nigh inevitable you'll make new friends as well.

Annnnd as for myself... I'm kind of disappointed. This school is reputed for how much homework there is, but in total, I've only had to colour a few countries on the map and answer a page of math review questions in the past week. Pick up the slack, teaching staff!

I have quite a number of family friends I know that are juniors or seniors in the school, though, so now I have a bunch of notes and past exams at home. Networking skills are looking good so far.

^Be careful what you wish for

My friend left today, so I'll have to ask her how she is and how it's going. It just feels strange right now, and not real. I know I'll forget to pack something, too xD

My Animelist

So yeah...I'm really not a reader if I'm not in the mood. Trying to get some required reading done and I'm going over a sentence 3 or 4 times, but still can't remember what it said when I'm done with the sentence.

Page 438 of 446 FirstFirst ... 338388428434435436437438439440441442 ... LastLast