Page 81 of 442 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 11043

Thread: The Student Lounge Thread.

Does anybody else do the AMC 11 Math thing? I just got my results back, and I tied for 1st in my grade with 17/25. Eugh. Still, I was in the top 5% out of 100,000 kids (in the US btw).

The problems were pretty hard, at least for my skill level (I just started Geometry this year): things like...

10^12 / 5^10 = ? (or something like that)

7^2011, what's the tenths digit?

^Credit to RulerOfUnova

We had a weird substitute in Algebra today. He'd ask us questions, and then give us foreign currency if we got it right. I may be wrong, but I doubt I'll have an immediate need for Canadian Dollars anytime in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestospoison View Post
    We had a weird substitute in Algebra today. He'd ask us questions, and then give us foreign currency if we got it right. I may be wrong, but I doubt I'll have an immediate need for Canadian Dollars anytime in the near future.
    Lol that's a weird teaching method. I got my Bio test back and got a B+!!

So pumped, AP Bio is so hard

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

In Geometry today, we had to write a problem using tangent. This was mine...

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Person A was taking a vacation when he saw Voldemort on top of the Empire State Building. Voldemort is about to cast a spell that would kill Person A if it hit, but Person A believes he could dodge it. He knows he is 5280 feet from the Empire State Building, and the angle from Person A to Voldemort is 15.5 degrees. Additionally, Person A knows that Voldemort's spells travel at a speed of 495 feet/second and the spell has a blast radius of 100 feet. Person A knows he can run at an average of 10 feet/second. Will Person A survive?

*Assuming Person A starts running as soon as the spell is cast.
    **If Person A is in the blast radius at all, he dies.
    It's not really that hard, it just has a lot of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluePorygon View Post
    Lol that's a weird teaching method. I got my Bio test back and got a B+!!

So pumped, AP Bio is so hard
    Hey, I'm doing Bio too! :P We just had a quest (quiz + test) on cell structure.

^Credit to RulerOfUnova

Quote Originally Posted by hyperion33 View Post
    Does anybody else do the AMC 11 Math thing? I just got my results back, and I tied for 1st in my grade with 17/25. Eugh. Still, I was in the top 5% out of 100,000 kids (in the US btw).

The problems were pretty hard, at least for my skill level (I just started Geometry this year): things like...

Did the AMC 8, and got 10/25. Failed. Two kids in my geometry class did the AMC 10 though.
    gone.

Got a C on my page essay on cosmetology. >.<

And got 15/20 on my Geometry test.

Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    EDIT: Yup, I was next and WOOT! 10 points for installing and configuring a server with Linux, 20 points for setting up the server as a DHCP server, 25 points for setting it up as DNS server, 20 points for setting it up as a secure Apache web server, 10 points for setting my desktop to use the server to get its IP and routing information, and lastly 0 points for setting up a webpage to change the server password over the net(no time to work out the bugs). I'm happy with an 85/100 considering he didn't actually teach us ANY of that stuff.
    Our Eagle server is Linux (I'm working for a CCNA in Cisco IOS). We used Apache for one of our labs.
    I'm working routers and switches, using PuTTY because our Hippie teacher says Hyper Terminal can go suck itself. CounterStrike is easy to set up because of our knowledge of Class A IP addresses . We've got our finals on Wednesday. And a club called CyberPatriot (basically computer security) has a competition the 16th.
    Last edited by YaDunGoofed; 10th December 2011 at 12:07 AM.

キバゴ

I just got interims today and I got a C in AP world history (which is 70%-79.9% for us Americans). The funny thing is that my grade is exactly 79.9%. Luckily, my parents are lenient and don't mind if I get bad grades 'cause they know that I'm smart already.

^ Click this for good times ^

Got an A on my Entomology final after studying all day, besides that I'm still stressed about other Finals though. Oh well, after this we get a month for winter break, so it's worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracoste View Post
    You were talking about safe cooking. Guess what happens when you don't cook safe.
    (It starts with "D" and ends with "amn, my kitchen is on fire")

Quote Originally Posted by YaDunGoofed View Post
    And got 15/20 on my Geometry test.
    That's not bad. Geometry is wicked tough IMO. I'm in AP Calc right now and doing better than I ever did in Geometry.

Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    That's not bad. Geometry is wicked tough IMO. I'm in AP Calc right now and doing better than I ever did in Geometry.
    I think of Geometry as math theory.

キバゴ

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Out of all the math classes I have been in, geometry was the hardest. For some reason I just don't like it, and I was never good at it despite getting straight As in all my other math courses.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

4 more days and then 3 weeks off! I can't wait to get my DS and Black and White back

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCharmander View Post
    4 more days and then 3 weeks off! I can't wait to get my DS and Black and White back
    Gahh! I have 2 weeks left, and then only 2 weeks off!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCharmander View Post
    WTH? You meanie
    GAH x2! I have 2 weeks left and 1 week off

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

Quote Originally Posted by Money902 View Post
    Out of all the math classes I have been in, geometry was the hardest. For some reason I just don't like it, and I was never good at it despite getting straight As in all my other math courses.
    really? I hated algebra, but geometry is really nice in comparison. IMO number crunching is soo much harder than logic, buy maybe that's me... I'm also doing Geo this year so I may have not gotten to the hard part.

Anybody have suggestions for high school? I'm going there next year and I'm a little... unprepared...
    Brutaka
    PM me for a list of MY DW pokemon- all are female

I EV train for Blue Raja.
    I work in Fly High- drop by and order some art!

PM me if you want me to EV train for you!

FC:3611-6818-3138

Quote Originally Posted by pkmnfn View Post
    Anybody have suggestions for high school? I'm going there next year and I'm a little... unprepared...
    It's way better than middle school, but once you get to high school you actually have to start trying and studying.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

In Animal Science we got to learn about artificial vaginas used for bovine breeding.

:)

Consider yourself lucky...

Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by hyperion33 View Post

Our school had AMC 8. From what I hear I'm glad I didn't take it.

Quote Originally Posted by pkmnfn View Post
    really? I hated algebra, but geometry is really nice in comparison. IMO number crunching is soo much harder than logic, buy maybe that's me... I'm also doing Geo this year so I may have not gotten to the hard part.

I'm in algebra, and don't really mind it. I don't find it that hard. My freind showed me his geometry homework one day. *gulp* In theory, algebra is much easier as there's almost always a definitive answer, but geometry has different ways of arriving at different conclusions, which is a two-way *giggle* street. On one hand, you have more freedom and thus more chance of getting the problem right. On the other hand, you can't cheat because everyone has a different answer it requires a lot more thinking and deduction and just skill in general.

High school... All I can say is just don't turn into a d-bag. There is literally maybe five 16 year olds that I know that aren't complete d*cks. Just remember that you really don't know everything.
    Last edited by Cinna; 10th December 2011 at 3:54 AM.

thanks adam you da best
    average bi whos ready to try
    formerly blastoiseboy19

What is this AMC thing?

Is it only in a certain state or what?

I think it's some kind of math exam for smart kids. Kind of like the SIGMA. I think.

In other news, I got staright As on my report card *woo* but I got an A- on my Ancient China exam. My mother is going to kill me. And it doesn't help that I'm Chinese.

thanks adam you da best
    average bi whos ready to try
    formerly blastoiseboy19

Huge wars going on in my High school about next year's schedule.

The ones who support the the schedule, like me, in which Summer break is about 3 weeks shorter, but we get an extra 2 weeks off on Fall, Winter, and Spring breaks, are arguing with the ones who support the old schedule. The main reason for the "war" is that anyone getting a C or below in any classes must attend classes during 1 of the extra 2 weeks, so a lot of the kids with worse grades (which encompasses almost all of my friends, for whatever reason) are supporting the old version so they can avoid the classes.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under-appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Look. Look at my avatar's face. Doesn't he just look awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxWithinAParadox View Post
    What is this AMC thing?

Is it only in a certain state or what?
    The AMC is a nationwide math test regulated by the University of Nebraska. You have to sign up, cause it costs like $2 a test. It's supposed to be a challenge, and it is. This years results got back wicked fast.
    gone.

Quote Originally Posted by AudinoHunter View Post
    The AMC is a nationwide math test regulated by the University of Nebraska. You have to sign up, cause it costs like $2 a test. It's supposed to be a challenge, and it is. This years results got back wicked fast.
    I didn't have to pay money, and I doubt my school would pay $120 for something like this but you never know.

^Credit to RulerOfUnova

I hate the tests we have to take at the end of the year. Switching classes is going to be verrry fun, since my math teacher always lets us out 15 minutes late. Always. even though be were finished with everything, all we did was sit around and look at each other for ten minutes.
    "NO DRUMMING YOU FINGERS ON THE DESK!!"
    and Ms. Control Freak, a "mentally challenged" bully is getting worse. Her "friend" cries every day... :/ poor girl... but the girl's on the student counsel, so she can get us Saturday detentions. I don't think my dad will be happy if I get a detention for telling the truth. When I was absent for my neighbor's funeral, the next day she asked my why I was out the day before. When I replied, she slapped my face and said, "That's a stupid reason to be out."
    SO I said, "A stupid reason to be out is to skip school, like you do. But an innocent little girl lost her life because of no fault of her own, and you have no right to call her stupid. YOU need t get your priorities in order. I see Jenna crying in the bathroom stalls every day. So get your mind right, and talk to me again when you do."
    She stomped on my toes, and I just walked away. Sometimes, you just have to.
    R.I.P. Kelley. I love you, now go play with Jesus. You were so sweet. And remember, someday you'll see us again. 2007-2011

I will not be on very often anymore... keeping up my own site now.

Page 81 of 442 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast