Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #37

Hybrid View

Default Community POTW #37

Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

This week we'll be doing Galvantula, one of the new Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/596.shtml

Galvantula is a very cool Pokémon with a brilliant type combination and decent movepool.

Go nuts

Overview:
    Galvantula is an amazing Pokémon with a decent movepool and excellent speed and good special attack. What makes this Pokémon special is its typing; Bug/Electric; it means that you can deal with flying types and also not so bulky ground types.

Abilities:
    Compoundeyes: Raises accuracy of attacks by 30%. Excellent for Thunder. Let's use this ability.
    Unnerve: It may be good only in a physical set. Bug Bite could be useful.
    Swarm: This DW ability can be handy if used with Focus Sash. But not so well as Compoundeyes.

Galvantula is watching you...
    Galvantula @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Compoundeyes
    252 Spd / 252 Sp. Att. / 4 HP
    Thunder
    Bug Buzz
    Energy Ball / Hidden Power (Ice/Ground)
    Charge Beam / Volt Switch / Electro Ball

Thunder's accuracy is 70%, but with Compoundeyes it turns into 91% Wowthat's a huge boost! Also Thunder has a 30% chace of paralysing so that means that you MUST use it. Also it gets STAB as well as Bug Buzz. Energy Ball and Hidden Power are there for coverage: Energy Ball hits Rock and Water/Ground-type Pokémon. Yes, I'm talking to you Swampert. Hidden Power Ice deals with Gliscor and Dragons. Hidden Power Ground hits non-levitating Steel-types and also hits Fire-Types. Oh and Heatran! The fourth attack slot can be filled with anything you like. Charge Beam may boost your Special Attack and also it gets Compoundeyes boost. Volt Switch is an special electric-type U-turn, so you can use it too. Only use Electro Ball if you are faster than the opponent. Be careful.
    Last edited by Frost Emperor; 11th September 2011 at 4:11 PM.
    Rainbows & Stars... Just Follow The Glitter Way... Frost Emperor Forever...
        Spoiler:- My Signature!:

I See You!
    Galvantula@Life Orb
    Timid nature
    CompoundEyes
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Thunder
    ~Bug Buzz
    ~Energy Ball/Charge Beam
    ~Hidden Power (Ice)/Charge Beam

How can one not love this thing? Great design, great type combo (I personally was hoping for Poison/Electric, but this still rocks), and for once, not only CompoundEyes, but a fantastic way to abuse it! Thunder is the STAB move of choice, as with CompoundEyes, it reaches 91% accuracy. That's 1% better than Aqua Tail and Heat Wave! Bug Buzz for additional STAB, and Energy Ball and HP Ice for extra coverage. The latter two moves can be subbed out for Charge Beam. It's a way to pick off weakened opponents while (hopefully) collecting a Special Attack boost along the way.

Item powers up Galvantula's attacks. Specs are not a good option as they incite a lot of switching, which is rather undesirable in a Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon.

As for the ability, you never, ever, EVER want to run anything not named CompoundEyes on a Galvantula. EVER.

Partners:
    Galvantula just screams to have Shell Smash and/or Quiver Dance passed to it. Something that takes care of special walls can't hurt, either.

Counters:
    Chansey and Blissey take those STAB Thunders like they're static electricity and wreak havoc on it in return with Seismic Toss and various special attacks in Blissey's case. Anything that is made to take Special hits and isn't especially weak to Electric can probably survive Galvantula's attack and KO it back.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

I love this thing!!!!!!!!!

Alright, here we go:

Galvantula@Choice Specs
    EV's: 252 sp atk 252 speed

Thunder
    Bug Buzz
    Energy Ball
    HP Ice

This thing has a lot of potential. With compoundeyes, thunder reaches 100 accuracy. It's ridiculously powerful, and has a 30% paralysis rate. Then use Bug Buzz for more STAB, energy ball and HP Ice for coverage... Once again, this thing is awesome!
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Looking for more secret bases! Message me your QR code, and I'll send you back mine.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

Quote Originally Posted by deoxysdude94 View Post
    I love this thing!!!!!!!!!

Alright, here we go:

Galvantula@Choice Specs
    EV's: 252 sp atk 252 speed

Thunder
    Bug Buzz
    Energy Ball
    HP Ice

This thing has a lot of potential. With compoundeyes, thunder reaches 100 accuracy. It's ridiculously powerful, and has a 30% paralysis rate. Then use Bug Buzz for more STAB, energy ball and HP Ice for coverage... Once again, this thing is awesome!
    Thunder reaches 91% accuracy, not 100%, and Choice items aren't a good idea for anything that's SR-weak. Lots of switching.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Now this is an interesting thing. Too bad it doesn't get Baton Pass unlike most bugs, would be a great Spider Web or Agility passer. Anyway, it still has some tricks up its sleeve

Galvantula @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swarm
    252 speed, 252 Sp.Atk
    -Thunder Wave
    -Electro Ball
    -Bug Buzz
    -Volt Switch

Less type coverage than the above mentioned pokémon, but has paralysis support and it can volt switch away. The main idea is to paralyse the target with Thunder Wave, and destroy their speed. Since Galvantula is usually already faster than the target prior to thunder wave, quartering their speed means that Galvantula is now over 4x as fast as its paralysed victim, meaning that Electro Ball reaches its damage cap of 150 BP prior to STAB, which is significantly more powerful than Thunder (not to mention 100% accurate). Substitute baton passing is appreciated for this pokémon as it's really fragile and still has to set up with Thunder Wave before starting to destroy it's foes. Defensive screen support is also nice.

Other options:
    -Electroweb is basically the electric form of Icy Wind. It mainly suffers from a low base power though, and if you want to slow down your foes Thunder Wave is more effective, even more so because it stays in effect after switching.
    -Light Screen is a trick it gets that it shouldn't really be doing. It can use defensive help, but it doesn't really get the time to set up with it's fragility, it's time is better spent on messing with the opponent while teammates set up the defensive screens beforehand.
    -Thunder + Compoundeyes works as a way to immediately attack after coming in. It has less accuracy than Thunder Wave + Electro Ball though, and less BP, but it's a more niche option, as Thunder Wave + Electro Ball is given to a lot of electrical pokémon, like for example Raichu.
    -Energy Ball is a way to attack Ground Types but lacks STAB
    -Disable is a fun trick to do on Choiced foes, but it's a trick more suited to bulky pokémon.
    -Spider Web is a bit useless without Baton Pass unfortunately.
    -Agility can be used to get a speed advantage, but Thunder wave is more effective (and stays after switching).
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 11th September 2011 at 4:21 PM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Galvantula@Life Orb
    Timid
    Compoundeyes
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Thunder
    ~ Bug Buzz
    ~ Energy Ball / Volt Switch
    ~ Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire

great type great ability and great move pool this life orb set is its best IMO

Wow, I hate spiders so much, but I love Galvantula. He’s so cool, he’s got awesome stats, he looks pretty awesome. And he gets Thunder and Compoundeyes. That’s what’s important.

Galvantophobia
    Galvantula @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Compoundeyes
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
    Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunder
    - Bug Buzz
    - Energy Ball/Hidden Power Ice
    - Thunder Wave/Electro Ball/Substitute
    So yeah, sorry if this sounds familiar, Galvantula doesn't get a lot to play with. Not that it needs it, though. Thunder and Bug Buzz are for STAB. Because Compoundeyes, Thunder has 91% accuracy HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah. Galvantula isn’t the most powerful Pokémon, so 91% accurate Thunder helps. Energy Ball is for coverage against Rock-types and Bulky Waters like Swampert that you can’t hit with Thunder, while Hidden Power Ice is for Ground-types. Thunder Wave is for paralysis, while Electro Ball is for if you’re a lot faster than your non-Ground-type-opponent, and you think that instance will make it more powerful than Thunder. Focus Sash because otherwise Galvantula will get squashed in one turn, although Substitute can make it longer. By like one turn.
    Last edited by grantholomew; 11th September 2011 at 3:48 PM.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Ok so galvantula is pretty cool with cool typing and if I'm correct only two weaknesses(anything other than rock and fire). He doesn't have a gigantic movepool but he can use it effectively with Compoundeyes.

Galvantula@Life Orb
    Timid
    Compoundeyes
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Thunder
    ~ Bug Buzz
    ~ Energy Ball

So pretty much already been said but yeah Thunder gets 91% accuracy and that's pretty boss. Bug buzz is also great for his other stab. Energy Ball adds to the coverage. Then you have either HP ice or HP fire for the final move.

Pokemon Soulsilver Badge Quest

Complete!

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0649-6456

If Compundeyes raises your Accuracy 30% and Thunders Accuracy is 70% wouldnt it become 100% Accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by gpt11 View Post
    If Compundeyes raises your Accuracy 30% and Thunders Accuracy is 70% wouldnt it become 100% Accuracy?
    I thought that at first to, but it boosts the 70% by 30%, so it basically adds 21% to 70%.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post
    I thought that at first to, but it boosts the 70% by 30%, so it basically adds 21% to 70%.
    AH I get it now thanks

not sure if anyone did this set
    Ok here goes...

Galavantula@Salac Berry
    Timid
    Swarm
    4HP/252Spa/252Spd
    -electro web
    -electro ball
    -bug buzz
    -volt switch/agility/spider web/energy ball

this utilizes speed. elecetro web lowers oppenets speed which boosts electro balls power.
    bug buzz gets stab volt switch for scouting, agility for more speed and, spider web to keep them where you want them energy bll for rock and ground types

changes in bold
    Last edited by NinjaMuffin6890; 11th September 2011 at 7:26 PM.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/2lm3zw6.gif[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/2ln93l5.gif[/IMG]

Spoiler:- BA stats:

Galvantula's got pretty solid special attack and speed, so it is quite good for the role of a choice user

Galvantula @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
    Ability: Compoundeyes / Swarm
    Nature: Timid (-Atk, +Spe) / Modest (-Atk, +SpA)
    Evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    ~ Thunder / Thunderbolt / Electro Ball
    ~ Bug Buzz
    ~ Volt Switch / Energy Ball

Pretty self-explanatory, not the best movepool, but enough to work. Specs allows you to hit quite hard, while Scarf makes Galvantula a surprisingly good revenge killer, as well as gives it the element of surprise, considering rarely anyone suspects something with such good speed to run a scarf. Timid is for specs while Modest is for scarf. The first two moves are your basic STAB, while the first depends on what you want for Galvantula. Thunder has a semi-reliable 91% accuracy and hits very hard, however, Thunderbolt is for those not wanting to take chances. If not using Thunder, Swarm is used to power Bug Buzz when Galvantula is running low on health. Electro Ball is very useful on the Scarfer, as the boost ensures Galvantula will outspeed most of the unboosted foes by enough to ensure Electro Ball a high damage output. The choice of Hidden Power depends on what you want him to hit. Ice hits Gliscor and Landorus in the higher tiers, while also picking off dragons. It also can be used in the lower tiers to slam Gligar and Altaria. Hidden Power Fire is mainly there to hit Ferrothorn in OU, while also hitting Ferroseed in the lower tiers. The last slot gives you two options. Volt Switch can be used to escape from an unfavorable match up, while Energy Ball hits Water / Grounds who are immune to your STAB, like Swampert. Only problem is Stealth Rock due to the switching, so its good to pair with a Rapid Spinner. Tentacruel works very well, as it can take Fire moves aimed at Galvantula, who can take any electric moves aimed at tentacruel.
    Last edited by The3DOstrich; 11th September 2011 at 4:30 PM.

counters: camprupt, it resists and is s-e
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Default Galvantula

GALVANTULA! Got to love it.

Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Unerve
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP

Moveset:
    ~Electro ball
    ~Bug Buzz
    ~Agility
    ~Thunder wave

This different set has worked really well for my Galvantula. Basically, you want as much speed as possible for electro ball, and bug buzz is there for extra type coverage.
    Compoundeyes is not useful here, so Unerve is best here. Stops those salac substituters.
    Focus sash is needed to survive a hit while using agility or thunder wave, because of Galvantula's awful defenses.

I hate spiders, but I like Galvantula. It makes a great anti-Water with STAB Thunder, Energy Ball, and STAB Bug Buzz in its repertoire. It can safely spread status with Thunder Wave and Volt Switch. All in all, Galvantula is a threat that can be overlooked. As for ability, always use Compound Eyes.

The Chosen Creepy-Crawly!!
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
    @: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Thunder
    Bug Buzz
    Hidden Power [Water]
    Energy Ball/Volt Switch

Even without rain, Thunder has good-ish accuracy thanks to Compound Eyes. Bug Buzz is secondary STAB, and a very good one. HP Water hits Ground types, notably Excadrill. Energy Ball hits the likes of Swampert and the newly improved Gastrodon, as well as other Water-Ground types. Volt Switch lets you run from a bad match-up. In Ubers, this set can scare Kyogres.

Cripple in Fear!!
    EVs: 252 speed, 100 sp attack, rest on HP
    @: Leftovers

Spider Web
    Thunder Wave/Toxic/Thunder
    Disable
    Thunder/Bug Buzz

Trap, status, and remove a move you don't want used. Thunder Wave is paralysis, Toxic poisons, Thunder is an offensive paralysis option. Disable improved in Gen V thanks to increased accuracy. Bug Buzz is the preferred option because you won't be walled by Ground types, but Thunder is still a powerful option.

The Idiot's guide to Beating Special Attackers
    EVs: 252 speed, 200 special defense, 12 HP, rest on special attack
    @: Leftovers/Light Clay

Light Screen
    Spider Web
    Struggle Bug
    Thunder Wave/Thunder/Disable

Special Attackers hate going up against this. Spider Web prevents switching to an alternative option, Light Screen does the primary job, Struggle Bug hurts the stat you are blocking. Fourth slot is up to you. Thunder Wave paralyzes, Thunder is an attacking option, and Disable is tons of fun.

Other options
    Thunderbolt can be used if you hate Thunder's imperfect accuracy.
    Electroweb will be mentioned as a move unique to Galvantula and Ariados, but drop speed with Thunder Wave, it works better.
    Agility is a speed booster.
    Charge Beam is a power booster.
    Gastro Acid is not a good option. Too gimmicky.
    Sucker Punch is priority.
    Pursuit catches runners.
    Screech can be used with a physical set with Wild Charge, X-Scissor, and Pursuit, but that puts Compound Eyes Thunder to waste.

By the way, I was expecting Braviary as a pseudo honor of 9/11.
    Last edited by Meowmeow; 11th September 2011 at 5:49 PM.
    I claim Buizel.

Galvantula
    MY Overview:

I wanted this Pokémon as soon as I saw it in the pre release pictures, it's cool. There is a reason this bug goes on my UU and Bug Teams as well. Galvantula's typing is truly unique, Electric and Bug which eliminates the Flying and Ground Weaknesses and compliment each of their offensive capability nicely a win-win, And a base 97 SP ATK with 108 Speed is nothing to laugh at. However, Galvantula really goes downhill from there. Galvantula has a very poor move pool, though it gives you enough to work with but that comes at the cost of making Galvantula nothing but predicable. Oh please don't get me started on the spiders defenses, base70 Hp and 60 Defenses makes for a glass cannon. One hit and he/she is pretty much toast. Thus, landing it a firm spot in the UU tier.

Abilities:
    ¬
    Swarm(PDW): Quite useful, if your holding focus sash. Other than that, go with compound eyes.
    Unnerve: Although not useless, it does not give anything to Galvantula, Compound Eyes is the better choice
    Compound Eyes: Overall a good ability. When you pair it with stabbed Thunders, it becomes a superb ability. This raises Thunders accuracy from a 70 to a 91. Then if you decide match it with Wide Lens and you got a Thunder with base 180 power and 101 accuracy. Go with Compound Eyes pretty much every time.

Move Sets:

Thorantula the Spider God of Thunder!!!
    - Thunder
    - Volt Switch
    - Energy Ball
    - Bug Buzz
    Item Attached: Wide Lens/Choice Specs
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    EVs and Nature
    Modest Nature (+SP ATK, -ATK)
    4HP 252SPATK 252SPD
    This set is the set I recommend using, in fact it's the only set I will recommend. Compound Eyes-Stabbed-Thunders is the basis of the set taking out most water and flying types with ease, not to mention it will still do serious damage to types that don't resist it. Volt Switch allows you to switch out from any slower counter and at least do some damage. Energy Ball takes out the Ground types such as Rhyperior and Swampert. Bug Buzz is the filler here, it is Galvantula most powerful stab move other than thunder and thunderbolt, and can take out Grass, Dark and Psychic types such as Umbreon. Now if you can either use Wide Lens or Choice Specs, just remember if you miss with thunder you can pretty much kiss your Galvantula good bye.

Let's Not Go With The Flow
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power [Ground]
    -Energy Ball
    -Bug Buzz
    Item Attached: Choice Specs/Focus Shash
    Ability: Swarm/Unnerve
    EVs And Nature:
    Modest Nature (+SP ATK, -ATK)/ Timid (+Speed, -ATK)
    4HP 252SPATK 252SPD
    Same as above, with two exceptions. Thunderbolt and is way more accurate than thunder. Hidden Power [Ground] takes out most Electric types. Note, that i dont reccomend using this set.

Counters
    Electrics, do crazy well at resisting Galvantula's Thunders, just make sure they carry a non-electric attack, such as the faster Jolteon and the especially the ground immune Eelektross. Fire types, such as Typhlosion and Infernape, will easily 1HKO Galvantula. Charizard will even murder it, just make sure you are faster to avoid the Thunders. With that said, lets cut to the simple basics. Any wall, such as Registeel, that can absorb hits can do well against Galvantula. Above all else faster sweepers, like Gangar, Archeops, Durant, Tauros, Aerodactyl, ect..., are probably most effective, considering Galvantula is a glass cannon, and once hit is in serious trouble.

NOTE: I stongly reccomend not using any hidden power othen than ice (which you still shouldnt use), on a compound eyes sets with thunder. nuetral thunders will do more than 2x supper-effective hidden power. nuetral Bug Buzz will do almost as much damage as a 2x supperefective max base-power ice HP. And honestly even if HP it will do more damage, odds are it might not 1hko it, in which case bye bye galvantula! So dont risk it volt switch out to a better counter.
    Last edited by twcopal; 11th September 2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Competitive battling pokemon

Currently Training
    Shiny Pokemon

What about this?

Galvantula @ either sp. att or speed boost berry

Moves:
    Thunder
    Bug buzz
    Disable
    Substitute

Thunder and bug buzzes are obvious. But then you have... disable and substitute? yes, it can be quite effective when used properly. first turn you set up a sub (Be sure to have max speed) and then the oppenent can do three things:

Use an attacking move, which should be super effective on you. The next turn you disable it, because your sub took the damage.

Use a status move. doesn't affect your sub, so a free turn for you.

Stat up. In that case, just smash some Thunders in and you should be fine against anything except grounds and maybe blisseys/chanseys.

I was just going to train one! yay

Alright, I browse the website often enough and have regularly enjoyed POTW, so I thought I might as well just sign up and take a stab at personally contributing. And thus, this.

Generic Offensive Set
    Ability: Compoundeyes/Swarm
    Held Item: Focus Sash
    252 Sp. Attack; 252 Speed; 4 HP
    Thunder/Thunderbolt
    Bug Buzz
    Energy Ball
    Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)/Volt Switch

Titled as such because I'm pretty sure this is more or less the same as every other offensive set that's been posted, because it's the only one Galvantula can really hope to pull off. Its defenses are absolutely horrid, so one good attack will rip right through it. That's what we have Focus Sash for. It gives you one more attack before biting the dust, and, if you're running Swarm, makes Bug Buzz more powerful than Thunder. Of course, if you're running Swarm, you probably won't have Thunder on your moveset anyway, since its viability as an attack option for this fragile arachnid decreases alongside its accuracy—hence Thunderbolt. Which... with a 97 base in Sp. Attack, isn't actually going to be doing a whole lot. Meaning you'll be doing even less damage until right up when you're about to faint. Though it could be worse, the option of Swarm is honestly only there for those with an experimental and adventurous heart. Oh, who am I kidding? If you're using Galvantula in the first place, you must fit that description anyway. Energy Ball for Ground-types (especially of the dual Ground/Water variety) and Hidden Power for additional coverage. Volt Switch is there too if you happen to want scouting.

Disable and Run
    Ability: Swarm
    Held Item: Life Orb/Bug Gem
    252 Sp. Attack; 252 Speed; 4 HP
    Substitute
    Disable
    Bug Buzz
    Volt Switch

Now, this set, when properly applied, can actually be quite useful in any environment. You set up a Substitute to absorb a troublesome attack, and then Disable it on the next turn. Ideally, you would do this to a Choice-item user. This would cause the opponent to be locked into the Disabled attack and force a switch. While this is happening, you can either set up another Substitute in preparation of a rinse-and-repeat-type event (note: this is harder to do once your opponent catches on, which will be immediately after the first combo), or Volt Switch the heck out of there (usually the better option). If choosing the latter, you can, of course, switch Galvantula back into the Choice-item user(s) again later, and play some mind games. You can either unleash the Substitute/Disable combo again, or... predict your opponent's predictions. Should they be predicting you to do the Substitute/Disable Combo, they may just switch out right off the bat. If you're predicting this, you can use a damaging attack and scrape some HP off the switch-in. On the other hand, if they're predicting that you're predicting that they'll predict that, or if they just aren't predicting anything, they'll attack you flat-out and probably take Galvantula out of the game if you didn't Substitute. Predicting sure can be troublesome. Well, whatever. Elaborating on the damaging attacks a bit more: Volt Switch's function is obvious, Bug Buzz is for doling out a decent Swarm-boosted hit before finally kicking the bucket. The Held Item depends on what you want to get out of your damaging attacks. Life Orb gets you more damage altogether at the cost of depleting your HP more quickly, and cutting you short of at least one Substitute/Disable combo. Bug Gem would be if you wanted to get an even bigger, more unprecedented kick out of Bug Buzz before going down, and keep the possibility of that fourth Substitute/Disable combo around.

Countering Galvantula: Excadrill in a sandstorm walls Galvantula... to death. It can hurt it with Rock-type attacks, or even Earthquake, and all it has to watch out for is Hidden Power (Fire). Most Dragon-types resist or are neutral to everything Galvantula comes loaded with but Hidden Power (Ice), and usually have access to either Fire-type attacks or Rock-type attacks like Stone Edge, Rock Slide, and even (God forbid) Rock Tomb to take it out.

Partners: Offensive Galvantula is fairly standalone. Rather, it doesn't really gain anything from other Pokémon, aside from Baton Passers. Though Dual Screens do help its poor survivability. On the other hand, if you're using the Substitute/Disable combo, you'll definitely want to put Galvantula on a team with the ability to set up entry hazards. That way, the forced switches will tack on extra damage.
    Last edited by Indigo Aura; 17th September 2011 at 2:30 PM.

Awesome, Galvantula. A bit odd across all boards, and works as a lower Jolteon, but can be utilized to better effect.

First off, he's absolutely frail. 70/60/60 means you wilol die FAST, and a weakness to SR means you'll want a Rapid Spinner, and a free switch-in. Good partner is probably Blastoise, as it is very bulky, can spin, and can shuffle the opposing team with Roar or Dragon Tail.

In the higher tiers, Excadrill comes to mind, being able to partner etremely well, as well as breaking the team apart so Galvantula can actually hurt things.

He's also got a bit low power; 97 SAtk isn't hitting very hard at all. To remedy this, some might put a Choice Specs; ONLY do this if you have a Spinner, as it causes lots of switching.

Well, now here goes the set:

BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz...
    Ability: CompoundEyes
    Item: Choice Specs/Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd
    -Bug Buzz
    -Thunder
    -Energy Ball
    -Hidden Power(Ice/Fighting)/Substitute

This set utilizes it's OK SAtk and good Speed, allowing it to hit with it's phenominal ThunderBuzzBall combination, hitting everything neutral or super-effective except Magnezone. The last slot is demanded for one of three moves; Hidden Power Ice hits those pesky Dragons extremely hard, as well as Gliscor. Stealth Rock support is preffered with this to be able to hit Dragonite without Multiscale interfering. Hidden Power Fighting allows it to hit Steels and Darks really hard. However, Substitute is preffered on a Life Orb set, to both ease prediction, protect against T-Wave(Which absolutely cripples it), and give you a parting blow just if you want.

Quite honestly, that's all I can think of. But atleast it's design is cool!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Electroball can be used on a Timid Scarf set with Paralysis support(Preffereably from the Paraflinchhax kings, Togekiss and Jirachi, who force switches) and hopefully allows for a 150-BP-STAB move. Bt otherwise Thunder suits him perfectly.
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 11th September 2011 at 5:14 PM.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Yay! Galvantula is one of my favorite pokemon!

The most dangerous tarantula on Earth

~Thunder/Electro Ball
    ~Bug Buzz
    ~Energy Ball/Hidden Power [Fire]
    ~Gastro Acid/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Modest(+Sp. Attack, -Attack), Timid(+Speed, -Attack)
    252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

This is my favorite Galvantula set. Thunder with Compoundeyes gets 91 accuracy, which is a huge boost from its origianal 70, and also gets STAB., an Electro Ball is strong on slow opponents, and Galvantula already has high speed. Bug Buzz is also STAB. Energy Ball works on Ground types better the Bug Buzz. Hidden Power [Fire] can detsroy Ferrothorn, which does get in your way. Gastro Acid eliminates the opponent's ability, sometimes ruining whole strategies. Thunder Wave paralyses, which can be comboed Electro Ball with.
    Last edited by rotomotorz; 11th September 2011 at 5:26 PM.
    Click image for respective credits

Man I love Galvantula. When I first saw it, it jumped straight on to my Top 3 Favorite Pokemon list.

An Extremely Gimmicky Speed Set
    Item:Zap Plate/Electric Gem/Other
    Ability: Unnerve
    EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpA/4 HP
    -Electro Ball
    -Thunder Wave
    -Agility
    -Electroweb

This set is to basically abuse Speed stats to power up Electro Ball. Thunder Wave and Electroweb slow the opponent while Agility speeds you up. Since you're only attacks are Electric, Zap Plate could be used to power up both slightly, or you could use Electric Gem for one big boost.

As the set name suggests, this set is extremely gimmicky.
    All your Kirby are belong to us! (>' . ')> (>' . ')>(>' . ')> (b^-^)b

I am proud to present my first wild shiny since the 3rd Generation, Magikarp!
    ...We all got to start somewhere, right?

FC: 0602-6317-4560
    Friend Safari: Electric-Pachirisu, Stunfisk, Manectric
    Add me if you want to, I'll add most anyone. Just shoot me a PM if you do.

Spiders Can Really bite...
    Recommended Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Swarm / Unnerve
    Evs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Item: Life Orb / Muscle Band
    -Wild Charge
    -X Scissor
    -Sucker Punch
    -Screech / Agility / Thunder Wave

Ok, so, I know it's weird seeing a Physical Galvanutla, but I don't see why it couldn't work. Glavantula's attack is only 20 below its Special attack, so give it a Nature Increasing its attack, EVs increasing it attack, and an Item that increases its moves' power and you can overcome the lack of Stat boosting Moves in the Attacking department.
    Screech is your only option for making Galvanutla a potential Sweeper, and It needs to be done on every Pokemon to work. I'd rather use Agility or Thunder Wave [The Latter really] so that Galvanutla is definitely going to be the speediest on the field.
    Wild Charge and X-scissor are its STAB Physical moves, and Sucker Punch is Priority.

I. Hate. Spiders.
    Recommended Nature: Modest / Timid
    Ability: Unnerve / Compundeyes
    Evs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Item: Wise Glasses / Life Orb
    -Volt Switch
    -Toxic / Thunder Wave
    -Double Team
    -Gastro Acid / Signal Beam

A lovely little Rage inducing set for Galvantula. Volt Switch allows a Switch out with damage attached, and STAB damage at that. Double Team increases evasiveness meaning it's nigh on impossible to hit Galvantula. Toxic induced a dooming status that takes out everything that isn't Poison or Steel, especially useful when combined with Double Team. or you could use Thunder Wave to make them slower ant to make them able to attack even less frequently.
    Then you have one more slot open. You cna eitehr choose Gastro Acid to nullify abilities [Speed Boost Blaziken is stopped in his Tracks, Thundurus no longer has Priority, Excadrill, Kingdra and other Weather Abilities lose their usefulness] or Signal Beam for damage. Using Volt Switch on a Toxicated foe isn't always what you want. Signal beam, though weaker, also has the chance of confusion making three barriers between your opponent's attacks and Galvantula.

Target Locked. Fire.
    Recommended Nature: Modest
    Ability:
    Evs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Item: Wide Lens
    -Thunder
    -Bug Buzz
    -Energy Ball
    -Gastro Acid / Thunder Wave / Charge beam

This is probably the most common set. Compoundeyes and Wide Lens combination to make Thunder Accurate and the other moves super-accurate.
    Thunder is a Powerful STAB. Bug Buzz is another. Energy Ball takes out rock types which threaten Galvantula, as well as ground types.
    Then you can either have Gastro Acid for making Abilities useless, Thunder Wave to lower Speed, or Charge beam, the only Special Attack raising move Galvantula knows, that also deals a little damage when it's used [sometimes].

Life Orb/specs/scarf
    Compound eyes
    timid
    252 Spa Spe 4 HP
    T bolt/Thunder
    Energey Ball
    Bug Buzz
    HP ice or fire
    3DS FC 1220 - 6490 - 8008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast