Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #37

^Nah, it'd be better like this:

Latios/Gengar (respectively) used Attack! Galvantula held on with its Focus Sash!

Galvantula used Bug Buzz/Thunder!

Other Guy: You're mincemeat! Latios/Gengar, use-

Galvantula used Sucker Punch!

Latios/Gengar fainted.

Other Guy: YOU HACKING HACKER YOU! "Ragequits"

Hopefully that last part doesn't happen too much, but I think it has potential. I wouldn't mind using a set like that... Though I would have to have a Rapid Spinner.
    Last edited by chanseychansey77; 14th September 2011 at 3:40 AM.

Joltik can be very useful in Little Cup because of Unerve. It blocks the use of Oran Berries. Not as great stats as Galvantula, but it has the same awesome movepool.

3DS: 5413 1009 1553

i might be alittle late to respoond to this...
    Quote Originally Posted by briguin View Post
    Overview

[

Spiders don't bite. They destroy.
    Ability: Compoundeyes
    Nature: Jolly
    Signal Beam
    Thunder
    Energy Ball
    Agility
    EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 health, 4 speed
    Signal Beam takes out Psychics (Plus gives STAB). Thunder can take out everything now that it can hit. Energy Ball kills pesky Water and Ground types. Need some Speed? Then Agility is here for you!
    NO. Jolly lowers special attack, Therefore terrible choice. Signal beam isshould be replaced with bug buzz. And if your running an agility set i would say up SP atk, considering galvantula needs to hit just a weee bit harder. Wheres your item? and why are u giving galvantula hp, give it speed evs!!!
    Competitive battling pokemon

Currently Training
    Shiny Pokemon

Galvantula

ScarfSpider
    -Thunder
    -Hp Ice
    -Volt Switch
    -Bug Buzz/Toxic
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Compoundeyes
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Hp/ 252 SpA/ 252 Speed

Galvantula! Man, that's a cool name! A combination of galvanometer (a device that measure electric current) and tarantula! Besides the name, this spider has a few things going for it. It has a unique typing (Bug/Electric) great base 108 Speed, abilities that gel well with its movepool, and a good enough base 97 Sp. Attack, not to mention an absolutely adorable pre-evolution. Joltik is just soooo cute! All of these factors (well, minus the bit about Joltik) make Galvantula a pretty darn good Special Sweeper.

Of Galvantula's abilities, Compoundeyes is arguably the best. It increases the accuracy of its moves by 30%. The main reason is Thunder. Normally, Thunder is unreliable (except in rain) with a shaky 70% accuracy. With the boost from Compoundeyes, though, the accuracy increases to 91%, which is pretty dang reliable for a move with base 120 power! This really helps since Galvantula has inferior Sp. Attack to a number of other Electric types, such as Jolteon and Thunderus.

Unnerve is pretty useless, since Berries usually aren't used in standard play. In Little Cup though, where Oran Berries are everywhere, Unnerve is valuable.

Swarm gives a 50% boost to Bug attacks when Galvantula has less than a third of its HP remaining. Unfortunately, Galvantula is so frail, it can only get about one or two uses out of it before it goes down. And besides, this ability isn't available yet.

Galvantula unfortunately suffers the Electric curse of a poor movepool. Alongside an Electric attack (usually Thunder), it will almost always be running Bug Buzz for additional STAB and Energy Ball for coverage. Aside from that, it really has only Hidden Power or Volt Switch to turn to for a final Sp. Attack. However, I've found that players like to use Sucker Punch as a final move. Galvantula is fast but there are faster Pokemon and priority users, and Sucker Punch can knock em down a bit before the spider goes down. Galvantula's Attack stat (base 77) is far from impressive, but it can do some decent damage to faster, defensively weak Pokemon, especially Psychic types.

Galvantula's supportive movepool is actually not too bad. It gets Thunder Wave, like basically every Electric type, and Disable which ruins Choiced Pokemon and forces switches. It can throw up a Light Screen, although there are better users of that move. It can use Agility to increase its Speed, or Charge Beam to increase its Sp. Attack. Its signature move, Electroweb, works as an Electric type Icy Wind, useful in Doubles and Triples.

Countering Galvantula: The spider may not have a big movepool, but its coverage is impressive. Ground types are immune to Thunder, but they hate Energy Ball. Steels resist Bug Buzz and Energy Ball, but most are hurt badly by Thunder. Also, any counters will hate to be paralyzed by Thunder or Thunder Wave. Chansey and Blissey are probably the safest switch-ins. They are famous Special Sponges, and they can shrug off almost anything Galvantula can hit them with, and with Natural Cure, they don't have to worry about paralysis. Look out for Sp. Defense drops from Bug Buzz, though.

Revenge killing is very effective. This spider may be fast, but there are a lot of faster Pokemon. Galvantula is vulnerable to all priority moves as well. Despite resisting Mach Punch and Bullet Punch, its frail enough to still take a good chunk of damage. Be wary of Sucker Punch, though.

One more thing: Galvantula is vulnerable to all forms of passive damage, especially Stealth Rock. Since many run Life Orbs, all the damage added together can make it take itself out,

Overall, Galvantula is a solid choice. It's fairly predictable due to its shallow movepool, but it's good at what it does. Life Orb or Specs boosted Thunders hurt like CRAZY. Do not underestimate this bug, no matter what.
    Last edited by ClefairyRox; 14th September 2011 at 6:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Mundo View Post
    Joltik can be very useful in Little Cup because of Unerve. It blocks the use of Oran Berries. Not as great stats as Galvantula, but it has the same awesome movepool.
    Joltik is hideously outclassed by other Bugs and Electrics in LC. Sure, it gets Unnerve, but several other Pokemon get it through the DW. Jolty also doesn't get Thunder.

jolty isnt as good as people say it is in LC, its outclassed
    in the making...

^SSSLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW

I'd probably givde another statement but not playing LC and probably never doing so makes it become redundant. Follow?

Anyways, I'd figure I'd go ahead and say that Galvantula's only saving grace is Thunder. And it's design, but even then, Thunder makes it an only possible choice in RU, even. It might be OK in RU, though, I'm not sure. Might try it out sometime, but I don't fight alot in RU either, so meh...

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Give Galvantula Hyper Beam.

Galvantula @ Petaya Berry/Leftovers/Life Orb
    Modest/Timid Nature
    Ability: Unnerve/Swarm
    -Electro Ball
    -Agility/Thunderwave
    -Subsitute
    -Bug Buzz/Energy Ball/Hidden Pwer Ice

While Hyper Beam sucks on any pokemon, Galvantula has a great alternative move: Electro Ball. After one agility, its BP should reach at least 80 if galvantula is able to outspeed without the boost. After another, it should reach between 120-150. Thunderwave is an option too depending whether it affects electro ball too, with its BP reaching 150, if not 120.

Paralysis ruins galvantula, and as does toxic and sleep. Subsitute should solve this problem.

Finnally, the fouth slot is for coverage. Bug Buzz is an alternative STAB that could work well with swarm, while energy ball and HP Ice hits super effective on any ground type that are immune to electro ball.

For now, for items, I chose petaya berry as it goes well with sub, swarm and bug buzz. Without the latter, leftovers or life orb is its only choice. Either you try to recover from sub, or you get a further boost for even more HP deducted.
    Last edited by pikadon92; 16th September 2011 at 7:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pikadon92 View Post
    Give Galvantula Hyper Beam.

Galvantula @ Petaya Berry/Leftovers/Life Orb
    Modest/Timid Nature
    Ability: Unnerve/Swarm
    -Electro Ball
    -Agility/Thunderwave
    -Subsitute
    -Bug Buzz/Energy Ball/Hidden Pwer Ice

While Hyper Beam sucks on any pokemon, Galvantula has a great alternative move: Electro Ball. After one agility, its BP should reach at least 80 if galvantula is able to outspeed without the boost. After another, it should reach between 120-150. Thunderwave is an option too depending whether it affects electro ball too, with its BP reaching 150, if not 120.

Paralysis ruins galvantula, and as does toxic and sleep. Subsitute should solve this problem.

Finnally, the fouth slot is for coverage. Bug Buzz is an alternative STAB that could work well with swarm, while energy ball and HP Ice hits super effective on any ground type that are immune to electro ball.

For now, for items, I chose petaya berry as it goes well with sub, swarm and bug buzz. Without the latter, leftovers or life orb is its only choice. Either you try to recover from sub, or you get a further boost for even more HP deducted.
    So you spend one turn powering up to.. 80? Two getting 150? That's horrible. Just use Thunder.

Electro Ball might be useful in doubles with entrainment chlorophyll however. I don't know, it's just a suggestion.

If I'm correct, my vaporeon got into last week's POTW. I feel accomplished right now.

I'd figure CompoundThunder would be good. I'm not good with Electric types in general, I'll upload later tonight.

Counters
    Thanks to getting a Bug typing, Bug Buzz and Energy Ball, Galvantula counters aren't your standard Electric fare.
    Ground types neutral to Grass and Ice can stop it cold. Camerupt can switch-in on Thunder and Bug Buzz very well and can KO Galvantula with Fire Blast. Steelix boasts similar strengths and can use Stone Edge or even just EQ to get rid of it. Nidoking isn't very bulky, but resists it's STABs and has a LO Sheer Force Flamethrower waiting for this spider. Dugtrio traps and kills with Stone Edge. Bulky Grass types are hurt by Bug Buzz but, again those neutral to that and with enough bulk can take this on but they'll have to struggle through the grass resist to get any damage in. Cradily in Sandstorm is amazing here. Huge Spdef +Sandstorm Spdef boost and Stone Edge make it a good check. Watch out for HP(Ice) though. If you ever see Galvantula in OU, Ferrothorn stops it completely unless it has HP[Fire](tbh if it's used in OU it's probably running HP(Fire) anyway). Lastly, we have Dragons. If it's running HP(Ice) then pretty much nothing checks this. Ok that's not really true but last time I checked, the only RU Dragons were Druddigon and Altaria, neither of which likes HP(Ice). If it's ot running HP(Ice) then Drudd and Altaria have a field day. Fire Blast/Stone Edge = Dead Spider.
    Sun can stop his Thunder by lowering the accuracy to about 67%. He's weak to all entry hazards so shuffling him is a good idea, especially if he's using the Choice sets. His defence is very low so priroty works well too. Galvantula resists Bullet Punch and the fighting moves but other priority works just as well. Finally Blissey/Chansey wall it to hell and back and can T-Wave it making it much easier to Counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Alright, I browse the website often enough and have regularly enjoyed POTW, so I thought I might as well just sign up and take a stab at personally contributing. And thus, this.

Generic Offensive Set
    Ability: Compoundeyes/Swarm
    Held Item: Focus Sash
    252 Sp. Attack; 252 Speed; 4 HP
    Thunder/Thunderbolt
    Bug Buzz
    Energy Ball
    Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)/Volt Switch

Titled as such because I'm pretty sure this is more or less the same as every other offensive set that's been posted, because it's the only one Galvantula can really hope to pull off. Its defenses are absolutely horrid, so one good attack will rip right through it. That's what we have Focus Sash for. It gives you one more attack before biting the dust, and, if you're running Swarm, makes Bug Buzz more powerful than Thunder. Of course, if you're running Swarm, you probably won't have Thunder on your moveset anyway, since its viability as an attack option for this fragile arachnid decreases alongside its accuracy—hence Thunderbolt. Which... with a 97 base in Sp. Attack, isn't actually going to be doing a whole lot. Meaning you'll be doing even less damage until right up when you're about to faint. Though it could be worse, the option of Swarm is honestly only there for those with an experimental and adventurous heart. Oh, who am I kidding? If you're using Galvantula in the first place, you must fit that description anyway. Energy Ball for Ground-types (especially of the dual Ground/Water variety) and Hidden Power for additional coverage. Volt Switch is there too if you happen to want scouting.

Disable and Run
    Ability: Swarm
    Held Item: Life Orb/Bug Gem
    252 Sp. Attack; 252 Speed; 4 HP
    Substitute
    Disable
    Bug Buzz
    Volt Switch

Now, this set, when properly applied, can actually be quite useful in any environment. You set up a Substitute to absorb a troublesome attack, and then Disable it on the next turn. Ideally, you would do this to a Choice-item user. This would cause the opponent to be locked into the Disabled attack and force a switch. While this is happening, you can either set up another Substitute in preparation of a rinse-and-repeat-type event (note: this is harder to do once your opponent catches on, which will be immediately after the first combo), or Volt Switch the heck out of there (usually the better option). If choosing the latter, you can, of course, switch Galvantula back into the Choice-item user(s) again later, and play some mind games. You can either unleash the Substitute/Disable combo again, or... predict your opponent's predictions. Should they be predicting you to do the Substitute/Disable Combo, they may just switch out right off the bat. If you're predicting this, you can use a damaging attack and scrape some HP off the switch-in. On the other hand, if they're predicting that you're predicting that they'll predict that, or if they just aren't predicting anything, they'll attack you flat-out and probably take Galvantula out of the game if you didn't Substitute. Predicting sure can be troublesome. Well, whatever. Elaborating on the damaging attacks a bit more: Volt Switch's function is obvious, Bug Buzz is for doling out a decent Swarm-boosted hit before finally kicking the bucket. The Held Item depends on what you want to get out of your damaging attacks. Life Orb gets you more damage altogether at the cost of depleting your HP more quickly, and cutting you short of at least one Substitute/Disable combo. Bug Gem would be if you wanted to get an even bigger, more unprecedented kick out of Bug Buzz before going down, and keep the possibility of that fourth Substitute/Disable combo around.

Countering Galvantula: Excadrill in a sandstorm walls Galvantula... to death. It can hurt it with Rock-type attacks, or even Earthquake, and all it has to watch out for is Hidden Power (Fire). Most Dragon-types resist or are neutral to everything Galvantula comes loaded with but Hidden Power (Ice), and usually have access to either Fire-type attacks or Rock-type attacks like Stone Edge, Rock Slide, and even (God forbid) Rock Tomb to take it out.

Partners: Offensive Galvantula is fairly standalone. Rather, it doesn't really gain anything from other Pokémon, aside from Baton Passers. Though Dual Screens do help its poor survivability. On the other hand, if you're using the Substitute/Disable combo, you'll definitely want to put Galvantula on a team with the ability to set up entry hazards. That way, the forced switches will tack on extra damage.
    Last edited by Indigo Aura; 17th September 2011 at 2:30 PM.

Let me tell y'all up front:

I FRICKIN' LOVE GALVANTULA!!!!

That being said, let me give a little idea of what Galvantula has trouble against.

The number one problem for Galvantula: Ferrothorn
    While Ferrothorn's ability can be avoided by using Galvantula's Special Attack prowess, you could be facing a problem on the off-chance that you're using Physical moveset (which I only recommend if you plan on incorporating Sucker Punch into your strategy). Electric type moves are completely useless against Ferrothorn, wasting a perfectly sweet Electro Ball opportunity. Bug Buzz can do normal damage and with STAB, so it could provide a little power, but if Ferrothorn is running a Rollout moveset, you might as well toss in the towel. Fire Hidden Power could hold a candle, but on a Drizzle team, this is highly idealistic.

Overall, Ground type Pokemon do not pose a problem due to Galvantula's access to Energy Ball, but Excadrill and the rare Steelix could pose some issues. Rock type Pokemon are also susceptible to Energy Ball, but Pokemon with Rock/Steel combination can easily cause an intense battle for Galvantula. Fire types are an easy solution: run Galvantula in a Drizzle team, and Flamethrower doesn't seem so scary.

Overall, this bad butt spider completely takes over as best spider based Pokemon in the game. It can sweep almost any Flying type or Water type, and it has the capability to decimate an entire team if properly trained.

Always, always, ALWAYS, train Galvantula in Sp. Attack and Speed EVs, as its poor defenses and HP leave much to be desired, and Attack will hardly cut it.

My recommended moveset:

It Pitches Better Than Babe Ruth
    Energy Ball
    Electro Ball/Thunder
    Thunder
    Bug Buzz
    IVs: 250 Sp. Attack, 250 Speed, 4 HP
    Items: Life Orb, Magnet
    Ability: CompoundEyes
    The second item recommendation is a little unusual, but trust me, with such great Speed, if you use a Thunder or Electro Ball against your opponent, either item will provide a sizable boost to your already immensely powerful attack. Energy Ball protects against the occasional Rock type or Ground type, and Bug Buzz decimates Grass, Psychic, and Dark type Pokemon all at once. A little HP loss from Life Orb, eh, it's ok. Poor spider can't take a hit anyway, so it's best to go for OHKO as often as you can.
    Last edited by Manafi's Dream; 17th September 2011 at 6:06 PM.
    "Your memories are connected, like links in a chain. Those same chains are what anchor us all together."
    -Naminé

Pokemon X Team - French Playthrough
    *COMPLETE*
    Amphinobi | Noctali | Mentali | Farfaduvet | Darumacho | Carchakrok
    3DS FC: 0430 - 9679 - 6068
    IGN: Micah
    Friend Safari Type: Fire
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Magmar, Ninetales, Charmeleon

Spoiler:- Credits, etc.:

Is an spider

Electro ball/thunder wave/volt switch
    Electroweb
    thunder
    bug buzz/sucker punch

ability: compundeyes
    item: just something to power up thunder
    nature: timid
    EV: 252 spatk 252 speed...

partners:
    a good and quick basculin with soak or a sweeper who can hit after electroweb

counter:
    swampert, landrous or some ground/rock type

Quote Originally Posted by kevinadept View Post
    Is an spider

Electro ball/thunder wave/volt switch
    Electroweb
    thunder
    bug buzz/sucker punch

ability: compundeyes
    item: just something to power up thunder
    nature: timid
    EV: 252 spatk 252 speed...

partners:

counter:
    swampert, landrous or some ground/rock type
    yeah ground/rocks like energy ball... always run energy ball on galvantula. It is your best bet against rocks and grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinadept View Post
    Why on earth would you ever run electroweb over thunder wave??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123