Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock on SPPf!

Default Rock on SPPf!

We have a metal thread, we have a pop thread, time for a rock thread if you ask me - which is basically for bands that don't fit the "metal" genre. So, to start things off, did anyone here in the UK go to/watch this years Reading festival? It was the last time Muse are going to play most of Origins of Symmetry!

I don't listen to much rock. Older, classic and hard rock is pretty good, but not so much newer stuff. Love me some Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf and Guns 'n' Roses lol. Some people also include punk under rock, I like that as well!

As such, no, I didn't go to or watch this years Reading. Not so keen on the majority of festivals. They don't usually have enough bands I like playing to make it worth the price of the tickets. That said though, I wanted to either go to Sonisphere or Download this year, but couldn't get the money =[

I was going to go to Download but I couldn't get tickets in the end. I was looking forward to seeing Avenged Sevenfold as I haven't before, and Pendulum and Bullet For My Valentine are extremely good live, so it's a shame. I'll probably go next year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertStyx View Post
    I don't listen to much rock. Older, classic and hard rock is pretty good, but not so much newer stuff. Love me some Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf and Guns 'n' Roses lol. Some people also include punk under rock, I like that as well!

As such, no, I didn't go to or watch this years Reading. Not so keen on the majority of festivals. They don't usually have enough bands I like playing to make it worth the price of the tickets. That said though, I wanted to either go to Sonisphere or Download this year, but couldn't get the money =[
    I listen to a lot of the stuff, and I'll agree with you that Led Zeppelin and Guns 'n' Roses are great listens.

That's fair enough, the new stuff isn't everybody's cup of tea, and I only would have gone to Reading for Muse and Enter Shikari, maybe The Streets and Elbow as well, but that's about it. I have friends who went to Sonisphere, they said it was pretty immense this year.

Personally, 99% of music after 1990 doesn't really interest me. Therefore, I'm a huge fan of older bands like The Ramones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who (etc.). I could go on and on with the amount of bands that I listen to, but my personal favorite is Queen. So many good songs, it's ridiculous. Many people only know them for "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" but my two favorites by them are "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Another One Bites the Dust." Honorable mention goes to "Flash."
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
    Personally, 99% of music after 1990 doesn't really interest me. Therefore, I'm a huge fan of older bands like The Ramones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who (etc.). I could go on and on with the amount of bands that I listen to, but my personal favorite is Queen. So many good songs, it's ridiculous. Many people only know them for "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" but my two favorites by them are "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Another One Bites the Dust." Honorable mention goes to "Flash."
    Don't forget 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'! I only mention it because I can nearly play the acoustic part I personally like 'Under Pressure' as well, such a good song.

While I like quite a few bands that came about more recently, my favourite is Bon Jovi, though most people seem to be against them for some reason.

Rock is pretty much makes up a good 85% of all of the music I like. the other 10% being shared amongst Jpop, Blues, jazz and Video Game music. I'm into allot of the Alternative Rock Oasis, Nirvana, Radiohead, Weezer, Matchbox 20, Third Eye Blind, The Killers, Coldplay, The Strokes, Phoenix. .etc. But I am still a fan of classic rock in almost all forms except most metal (I like some but not all). Journey, Boston, Iron Maiden, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles (Both Early and Late), Queen, Pink Floyd and a bunch more that I can't remember at this time.

Also listen to ALLOT of J-Rock, Asian Kung Fu Generation, The Pillows, Flumpool, Bump of Chicken, Sambomaster, Beat Crusaders, Mr. Children, The Brilliant Green, Gackt, Boowy, The Yellow Monkey, Shonen Knife (Heavily inspired by Nirvana), Glay, B'z, FLOW.
    S.T.A.R.S.
    Claimed Nemesis T-02 and Pokemon Gold

1)Garage Rock Revival
    2)Grunge
    3)Punk-Blues
    4)Cow Punk
    5)Psychadelic Rock

That is how it goes, roll with it.

HELLOOO rock thread. My taste was apparently too alternative for the metal thread, because they only count extreme metals as metal.

So! I went to Warped Tour (US and Canada) this year, and saw some fan-freakin-tastic bands. It was like jizz in my pants (i say that pretty often, get used to it)

I like pretty much all rock, except this 'country-rock' thing I heard of, I can't stand that. I don't really like 'pop-rock' at all. If you can't tell, I don't like country, or pop...

Anywho, alternative rock, heavy rock, a little techno rock stuff, punk rock, grunge, etc, thats where its at. :P
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

Quote Originally Posted by emogirl View Post
    HELLOOO rock thread. My taste was apparently too alternative for the metal thread, because they only count extreme metals as metal.
    No, I just seem to recall you just listed bands that aren't metal. It's not that were insulting your taste or saying it's in any way bad. Just not really metal for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
    No, I just seem to recall you just listed bands that aren't metal. It's not that were insulting your taste or saying it's in any way bad. Just not really metal for the most part.
    Okay, metal is an extremely large and vague genre of music, and it DOES include alternative metal. I realize most of the people there listen to doom and death and whatever else, and I did list lighter bands, but that doesn't mean that bands like As Blood Runs Black aren't metal, because they are. Hell, Evanescence is metal. I don't really like them, but they are officially a metal band. Bands like Slipknot and Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin are heavy rock to alternative metal. People there are just too narrow-minded in their taste to think that only bands like Entombed and whatever the hell else are the only thing that counts as metal.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

Okay, metal is an extremely large and vague genre of music, and it DOES include alternative metal. I realize most of the people there listen to doom and death and whatever else, and I did list lighter bands, but that doesn't mean that bands like As Blood Runs Black aren't metal, because they are. Hell, Evanescence is metal. I don't really like them, but they are officially a metal band. Bands like Slipknot and Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin are heavy rock to alternative metal. People there are just too narrow-minded in their taste to think that only bands like Entombed and whatever the hell else are the only thing that counts as metal.
    Im on my phone, so ill reply properly when im next on my pc. But i just thought id say that what makes something metal or not isnt mearly about heaviness. Also how is a band 'officially' metal?

Well, you know when you use things like Windows Media Player, or you look at the genres of music on your iPod? Their songs are under metal. That's how.
    And, well, what DOES make it metal then?
    Hipsters, I tell ya.

I'm sorry, but this post is just painful.
    Blood Runs Black aren't metal, they're metalcore. Metalcore is a sick love child genre between metal and hardcore rock, that should never have existed.
    Evanescence aren't metal either, they're closer to emo, a genre completely unrelated to metal.
    Slipknot, Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin, while metal, aren't of the sub-genre you described them as. They're Nu-metal, and is very much a love or hate genre. For a very good reason. It is very much inferior in every way when compared to proper, British heavy metal and NWOBHM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertStyx View Post
    I'm sorry, but this post is just painful.
    Blood Runs Black aren't metal, they're metalcore. Metalcore is a sick love child genre between metal and hardcore rock, that should never have existed.
    Evanescence aren't metal either, they're closer to emo, a genre completely unrelated to metal.
    Slipknot, Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin, while metal, aren't of the sub-genre you described them as. They're Nu-metal, and is very much a love or hate genre. For a very good reason. It is very much inferior in every way when compared to proper, British heavy metal and NWOBHM.
    ...Cool story bro. Did all of you annoying metal guys come here just to argue with me? This isn't a debate thread about metal versus rock versus sub genres. So, I, for the second time, will ignore you all, because you are not worth my time.

SO ANYWAY, let's talk about this rock music whatever. Favorite bands?
    Hipsters, I tell ya.

...Cool story bro. Did all of you annoying metal guys come here just to argue with me? This isn't a debate thread about metal versus rock versus sub genres. So, I, for the second time, will ignore you all, because you are not worth my time.

SO ANYWAY, let's talk about this rock music whatever. Favorite bands?
    No, I came here to talk about rock music, but then being a musical nerd and musician, I felt the need to try and educate you and try to rectify some of your ignorance.

But, I agree, we should be talking about favourite ROCK bands! Mine being:
    Guns 'n' Roses
    Led Zeppelin
    Dire Straits
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Thin Lizzy
    Alice Cooper

EDIT: Oh poopie. I forgot The Kinks. The Kinks are bloody fantastic.
    Last edited by RobertStyx; 12th September 2011 at 12:55 AM.

i don't really see how this thread is going to work, seeing how rock is more or less an over arching term for anything with guitar, bass, and drums by now, but whatever.

i have a growing interest in post punk bands like The Smiths, The Sisters of Mercy, some of the darker albums by The Cure, etc. i have some old school hardcore/crossover albums (Circle Jerks, early DRI, Discharge, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc) but i don't spin them much these days. might go through them.

Discharge still rules, though.

i'm also pretty fond of King Crimson though i've never enjoyed most prog- some stuff i don't mind but none of it really engages me like the early Crimson albums. In the Court... and Red being my favorites.
    BAW BAW BAW SOMEONE CRITICIZED ME WHEN I MADE A BAD POST AND NOW I'M JUST GOING TO SAY THEY'RE ALL BELOW ME AND LIKE I'M ABOVE IT

come back in like 3 years when you stop trusting a computer program for "technically sorting" genres and i'll get back to you.

Cool, so when I say something is a certan genre, even if I'm not using a program, it's wrong, but you can correct me? So where did the almighty learn of genre categories, and that no band can be in more than one? I'd love to be able to kneel at your pedestal, and learn your knowledge.

Lemme see, rock bands...I like quite a few of the older 'classic rock' bands like Metallica, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, I don't really feel like making a giant list, and newer ones like Three Days Grace, August Burns Red, Breaking Benjamin...and a majority of the bands who played at WT this year..
    Hipsters, I tell ya.

Cool, so when I say something is a certan genre, even if I'm not using a program, it's wrong, but you can correct me? So where did the almighty learn of genre categories, and that no band can be in more than one? I'd love to be able to kneel at your pedestal, and learn your knowledge.
    Its some thing you pick up and learn when you learn music, and spend time around musicians, as I have for the past 8-9 years. It's some thing you grow very anal over (FYI: Musicians are anal about EVERY thing, some thing you have to learn to tolerate...), like this!

Lemme see, rock bands...I like quite a few of the older 'classic rock' bands like Metallica, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, I don't really feel like making a giant list, and newer ones like Three Days Grace, August Burns Red, Breaking Benjamin...and a majority of the bands who played at WT this year..
    Ozzy and Sabbath are definitely heavy metal. Metallica are primarily thrash metal (clues in the name there ), but their more recent stuff is very country, blues and rock influenced, so I can let that one slide.
    August Burns are metalcore rather than rock, and Breaking Benjamin is considered more Nu-Metal, though I can see where they would considered rock (see, at least I'm trying to lighten up *puppy dog eyes* ).

Well, when I last listed a metalcore band in the metal thread i got yelled at. I guess I don't see where it belongs if it goes in neither. I have no idea where my music belongs if it just gets criticized in every thread I post in.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.

Most places I see metalcore is described as it's own genre, neither metal nor rock. It's generally not well liked by either community. Hell, I listen to both genres of music (as well as pretty much every other genre under the sun), and I can't stand the vast majority of metalcore.

Gah. People are just dicks. I really don't see why. I listen to most variants of rocks and metals, which would include odd sub genres so many people hate. the only exception would be that pop and rap are better to dance to at clubs and whatever.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.

In terms of metal, I can only stand the lightest of metal instrumentals and am not to found of Death Metal, nor vocals in metal but I digress not my cup of tea.

If anyone still follows Oasis, Noel Gallagher's first solo album is coming out Oct. 17, his new Solo band "Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds" with the first album of the same name.
    S.T.A.R.S.
    Claimed Nemesis T-02 and Pokemon Gold

Gah. People are just dicks. I really don't see why. I listen to most variants of rocks and metals, which would include odd sub genres so many people hate. the only exception would be that pop and rap are better to dance to at clubs and whatever.
    That pretty much sums up most of the disputes in every thing! The vast majority of people are dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zweihander Nemesis
    In terms of metal, I can only stand the lightest of metal instrumentals and am not to found of Death Metal, nor vocals in metal but I digress not my cup of tea.

If anyone still follows Oasis, Noel Gallagher's first solo album is coming out Oct. 17, his new Solo band "Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds" with the first album of the same name.
    Hmmm, may have to check that out. Wasn't too keen on Oasis, the majority of their stuff was meh at best, but they had the occasional song that was fantastic.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast