Thread: Worst NON-Disney animated sequels?

Default Worst NON-Disney animated sequels?

Everyone talks about how bad most Disney sequels are, but there are sequels to other animated movies that are MUCH worse than the Disney sequels (they make the Disney sequels look like the original ones). Which ones do you find really bad? The ones I can think of are:

The Secret of NIMH 2
    The Land Before Time sequels from no. 6 onward
    FernGully 2
    An American Tail 3 and 4
    An All Dogs Christmas Carol
    The Swan Princess 3
    SailorPika has returned.

Member of the NEW Team Rocket Club!

It's either the Shrek or Ice Age sequels for me, if not both to some degree. The first Shrek sequel is good, but the third and fourth just weren't that great. They felt like they drifted from what made the Shrek movies charming, and though they kinda went back to it in the fourth one, the fairy tale aspect of it fizzled in the third. Sure, the princesses kicked royal butt, but that's pretty much the only fairy tale parody next to Merlin that I can think of for that film. Even then, the comedy just fell short except when it came to Merlin, kind of. Luckily, they returned to it in Puss in Boots.

Ice Age, in the meantime, just got dull as it went on, as well as a bit more kiddy, suffice to say. I still enjoy the first film to this day, and I like the sequel as it gave Manny some closure for him to move on from his past. The third has problems with the characters outside of Buck and the Momma T-Rex, though I feel Diego suffered from that the most than Manny (Crash and Eddie just ended up becoming those two guys like they were an afterthought--a bit of a step down from the second film even though I don't care for them anyway). The fourth one was "meh". It just felt to me like Blue Sky had started to run out of "wacky" ideas to put the characters through since Dawn of the Dinosaurs, and though Guts wasn't too bad of a villain, they could've pushed the envelope a bit more with him. They did it with Soto, so why not him?

Another problem with the Ice Age sequels (now that I think about it) is the fact the chemistry between Manny, Sid, and Diego just hasn't felt the same like it was in the first film. It started to deteriorate in the second film, but it became that much more noticeable in the third film-onwards. And that personally saddens me because I like their interactions together as a trio; that's what made the first film so great. Sure, when it's just Diego and Sid, Sid and Manny, or Diego and Manny, they do have some good moments, but I like it better when it's a trio and not so much as a duo. I dunno, I guess it can be argued that because time does pass in between movies that the more they grew comfortable around each other, the more lax they become, but then I look at characters like Mikey and Sully. They have been companions for years, and yet their chemistry has remained strong in between the two movies--in fact, it got stronger in Monsters, Inc. when you look at it chronologically. The same goes for Timon and Pumbaa, Hiccup and Toothless, Shrek and Donkey and Puss, and the cast of Land Before Time. Yes, even the characters from Land Before Time has kept a better chemistry throughout its sequels, as has the trio of the Shrek franchise.

And that has to be the most disappointing aspect of the Ice Age franchise, and why I find it harder to enjoy those movies compared to Shrek.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 18th September 2014 at 8:42 AM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Brave little Toaster goes to Mars and Brave toaster to the rescue. These movies where just un needed had no explanation for certain chars showing up amd plot wise, The Master's baby gets kidnapped by vengeful aplaicicles that want to destroy earth ...Really is this nessacery!

Land before time sequels and NImh 2 that just can not no matter what live up to the ordinal.

I didn't care for Despicable Me 2. I really enjoyed the first one but I felt the second focused too much on the minions who work better in smaller doses.
    Planned Alpha Sapphire Team

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerdude View Post
    I didn't care for Despicable Me 2. I really enjoyed the first one but I felt the second focused too much on the minions who work better in smaller doses.
    I agree, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first film. Though my problem with it wasn't just the Minions taking over the movie, it was the relationship between Gru and the girls, which is what made the first movie great. I found it disappointing the second film didn't really have that many scenes of them together. Yeah, the birthday party was great, Agnes reciting to Gru was funny, and I liked how protective he was of Margo, but the heart just wasn't completely there. I didn't expect it to be in the entire movie, but I wanted to see more bonding now that they're truly a family. I also didn't like how the girls only saw Lucy (who I have to think about to remember her name, by the way) once on-screen when I feel like there should've been a couple more scenes of the girls getting to know Lucy more. The time-skip at the end before the wedding at least proves there was enough time for them to bond, but I would've liked to have seen more. At least Gru and Lucy had a decent amount of bonding on-screen that I don't dislike their relationship, but I didn't really feel like the chemistry was that strong.

Still, Despicable Me 2 at least isn't a bad sequel, but it's pretty mediocre. I will probably see the third film, but I have a feeling I'm not going to like it. Even though I do hope to see they have a little kid running around, lol.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Tentalcolino...worst sequel to one of the worst movies ever...The OTHER Titanic animated movie...if you want a review of The Titanic animated movies, go watch the Nostalgia Critic episodes pertaining to them on thatguywiththeglasses.com. If you want a review of Tentacolino...I recommend TheMysteriousMrEnter on YouTube.

I never want to see ANY movie with the Titanic ever again after those...
    MUCHA HAWLUCHA, YEAH!

The Neverending Story 2 & 3, Stewart Little 3, Balto 2-- I can probably think of alot more but these are the first that came to mind.
    Wake up and smell the Oddish

Quote Originally Posted by Nightblind249 View Post
    The Neverending Story 2 & 3, Stewart Little 3, Balto 2-- I can probably think of alot more but these are the first that came to mind.
    The Neverending Story sequels aren't fully animated, so those don't count.

Also, Bartok The Magnificent(AKA Anastasia 2 w/o the Grand Duchess Anastasia:instead starring the BAT) is a pretty horribad sequel, and it's not even by the same studio(The people who used to work for Don Bluth before he retired) as Anastasia!
    MUCHA HAWLUCHA, YEAH!

hmm....I'd have to say...Shrek 3 and 4. To me they just didn't have the same charm.
    Last edited by dragontamer44722; 20th September 2014 at 12:40 AM.

///

Pokegym Credit: Azulart (gym badge),FairyWitch (Userbar)
    Trinity Credit: AstralShadow (personal banner and trade shop button) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & Sworn Metalhead (symbol)

Those are some good points. I forgot to mention Shrek 3 wasn't very good. I haven't seen the 4th Shrek yet so I wouldn't know what to think. For some I find OK, Balto 2 and 3 are good, but not as good as the first and the same goes for the 2nd Swan Princess (which was much better that the third one). I haven't seen Bartok the Magnificent yet (which is actually supposed to be a prequel to Anastasia), but one good thing I heard about it is that unlike the other Don Bluth sequels/spinoffs, Don Bluth himself was actually involved with this one. But those are just my thoughts.
    SailorPika has returned.

Member of the NEW Team Rocket Club!