Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 459

Thread: Rock on SPPf!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sol 3
    Posts
    490

    Default Rock on SPPf!

    We have a metal thread, we have a pop thread, time for a rock thread if you ask me - which is basically for bands that don't fit the "metal" genre. So, to start things off, did anyone here in the UK go to/watch this years Reading festival? It was the last time Muse are going to play most of Origins of Symmetry!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    278

    Default

    I don't listen to much rock. Older, classic and hard rock is pretty good, but not so much newer stuff. Love me some Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf and Guns 'n' Roses lol. Some people also include punk under rock, I like that as well!

    As such, no, I didn't go to or watch this years Reading. Not so keen on the majority of festivals. They don't usually have enough bands I like playing to make it worth the price of the tickets. That said though, I wanted to either go to Sonisphere or Download this year, but couldn't get the money =[

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sol 3
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertStyx View Post
    I don't listen to much rock. Older, classic and hard rock is pretty good, but not so much newer stuff. Love me some Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf and Guns 'n' Roses lol. Some people also include punk under rock, I like that as well!

    As such, no, I didn't go to or watch this years Reading. Not so keen on the majority of festivals. They don't usually have enough bands I like playing to make it worth the price of the tickets. That said though, I wanted to either go to Sonisphere or Download this year, but couldn't get the money =[
    I listen to a lot of the stuff, and I'll agree with you that Led Zeppelin and Guns 'n' Roses are great listens.

    That's fair enough, the new stuff isn't everybody's cup of tea, and I only would have gone to Reading for Muse and Enter Shikari, maybe The Streets and Elbow as well, but that's about it. I have friends who went to Sonisphere, they said it was pretty immense this year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Rosewood
    Posts
    232

    Default

    I was going to go to Download but I couldn't get tickets in the end. I was looking forward to seeing Avenged Sevenfold as I haven't before, and Pendulum and Bullet For My Valentine are extremely good live, so it's a shame. I'll probably go next year, though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Your computer screen.
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Personally, 99% of music after 1990 doesn't really interest me. Therefore, I'm a huge fan of older bands like The Ramones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who (etc.). I could go on and on with the amount of bands that I listen to, but my personal favorite is Queen. So many good songs, it's ridiculous. Many people only know them for "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" but my two favorites by them are "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Another One Bites the Dust." Honorable mention goes to "Flash."
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sol 3
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
    Personally, 99% of music after 1990 doesn't really interest me. Therefore, I'm a huge fan of older bands like The Ramones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who (etc.). I could go on and on with the amount of bands that I listen to, but my personal favorite is Queen. So many good songs, it's ridiculous. Many people only know them for "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" but my two favorites by them are "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Another One Bites the Dust." Honorable mention goes to "Flash."
    Don't forget 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'! I only mention it because I can nearly play the acoustic part I personally like 'Under Pressure' as well, such a good song.

    While I like quite a few bands that came about more recently, my favourite is Bon Jovi, though most people seem to be against them for some reason.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Rock is pretty much makes up a good 85% of all of the music I like. the other 10% being shared amongst Jpop, Blues, jazz and Video Game music. I'm into allot of the Alternative Rock Oasis, Nirvana, Radiohead, Weezer, Matchbox 20, Third Eye Blind, The Killers, Coldplay, The Strokes, Phoenix. .etc. But I am still a fan of classic rock in almost all forms except most metal (I like some but not all). Journey, Boston, Iron Maiden, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles (Both Early and Late), Queen, Pink Floyd and a bunch more that I can't remember at this time.

    Also listen to ALLOT of J-Rock, Asian Kung Fu Generation, The Pillows, Flumpool, Bump of Chicken, Sambomaster, Beat Crusaders, Mr. Children, The Brilliant Green, Gackt, Boowy, The Yellow Monkey, Shonen Knife (Heavily inspired by Nirvana), Glay, B'z, FLOW.
    S.T.A.R.S.
    Claimed Nemesis T-02 and Pokemon Gold

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oh I Get Around...
    Posts
    80

    Default

    1)Garage Rock Revival
    2)Grunge
    3)Punk-Blues
    4)Cow Punk
    5)Psychadelic Rock

    That is how it goes, roll with it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    2,960

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gliese 581-G
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    1. Rock isn't always indie rock
    2. Rock isn't always 90's rock
    3. That thread's from 2009
    4. That thread's from 2008
    Just saiyan

    Anyhoo, I listen to quite a lot of rock, but most of it's modern. Stuff like Rise Against, 30 Seconds to Mars, Muse, Greend Day, etc. My all-time favorite band is called Madina Lake, they're a rock band with some electronic elements, and they are fucking awesome... check them out. (most of their vids suck though :P)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    Your argument is invalid. It is against the rules to post in threads over a month old.



    Anyway, I listen to A LOT of rock. AFI, Hawthorne Heights, HIM... I listen to the old stuff too, don't worry. Just not as much, because those bands won't have new material anytime soon.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

    I'll be gone on vacation until I get home sometime Sunday the 28th. Sorry guys.

    Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    It's just garage rock with boring lyrics and (usually) lesser musical talent.
    this is clearly the exact same thing as garage rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnCyWEjj0aA

    and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWE9kbecx5w

    and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i70zFUh5ugA

    and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTNWczKWq1k

    and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm6s5Z8L57Y

    punk is not just the Ramones or the Sex Pistols anymore. **** you if you think so. there's tons of branches on it. also how does it make sense to dismiss an entire genre about lyrics? if you're going to give me that "i don't like political lyrics" point too punk has never ALL had political lyrics.

    it's fine to not like it, but the reasons you listed are dumb. the musical talent one is a fair thing to say but it's still not very valid.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Tyrant View Post
    this is clearly the exact same thing as garage rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnCyWEjj0aA

    and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWE9kbecx5w

    and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i70zFUh5ugA

    and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTNWczKWq1k

    and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm6s5Z8L57Y

    punk is not just the Ramones or the Sex Pistols anymore. **** you if you think so. there's tons of branches on it. also how does it make sense to dismiss an entire genre about lyrics? if you're going to give me that "i don't like political lyrics" point too punk has never ALL had political lyrics.

    it's fine to not like it, but the reasons you listed are dumb. the musical talent one is a fair thing to say but it's still not very valid.
    It's ridiculous to argue that the roots of punk are not founded in garage rock. Yes it's spread and made its boring way into other genres, but the roots remain.

    I find lyrics to be vitally important if the music is stripped to its bare bones. Punk lyrics are boring and formulaic. I'd rather read a Stephanie Meyer novel. I love political lyrics when done well. Punk does not do this.

    Ces, yes, 95% + of music is worthless.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 13th September 2011 at 1:33 AM.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    It's ridiculous to argue that the roots of punk are not founded in garage rock. Yes it's spread and made its boring way into other genres, but the roots remain.
    yes, you're right, but that doesn't mean anything considering there's tons of punk that's completely different from that nowadays. it doesn't matter if it has roots in garage rock, because a lot of bands have absolutely no resemblance to it.
    I find lyrics to be vitally important if the music is stripped to its bare bones. Punk lyrics are boring and formulaic. I'd rather read a Stephanie Meyer novel. I love political lyrics when done well. Punk does not do this.
    not all punk has political lyrics. even as early as the ****ing Misfits, punk had lyrics that weren't political.

    but i understand why you wouldn't like punk if lyrics mean that much to you. i don't really understand that point of view where lyrics mean all that much, but whatever.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deoxysdude94 View Post
    Your argument is invalid. It is against the rules to post in threads over a month old.



    Anyway, I listen to A LOT of rock. AFI, Hawthorne Heights, HIM... I listen to the old stuff too, don't worry. Just not as much, because those bands won't have new material anytime soon.
    It wasnt an arguement, I was pointing out we have an existing thread ( or two) . Its not my fault thid forum has (actually, genuinely) stupid rules when it comes to bumping threads. Seriously what purpose does not posting in a topic as broad a subject as rock make just cause its a month old. Regardless of last post date
    , the thread serves exactly the same purpose.


    I actually find it a bit baffeling, as most forums actively encourage you use the search bar and post in an existing thread, rather than clogging up the forum with duplicate threafs.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    HELLOOO rock thread. My taste was apparently too alternative for the metal thread, because they only count extreme metals as metal.

    So! I went to Warped Tour (US and Canada) this year, and saw some fan-freakin-tastic bands. It was like jizz in my pants (i say that pretty often, get used to it)

    I like pretty much all rock, except this 'country-rock' thing I heard of, I can't stand that. I don't really like 'pop-rock' at all. If you can't tell, I don't like country, or pop...

    Anywho, alternative rock, heavy rock, a little techno rock stuff, punk rock, grunge, etc, thats where its at. :P
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emogirl View Post
    HELLOOO rock thread. My taste was apparently too alternative for the metal thread, because they only count extreme metals as metal.
    No, I just seem to recall you just listed bands that aren't metal. It's not that were insulting your taste or saying it's in any way bad. Just not really metal for the most part.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
    No, I just seem to recall you just listed bands that aren't metal. It's not that were insulting your taste or saying it's in any way bad. Just not really metal for the most part.
    Okay, metal is an extremely large and vague genre of music, and it DOES include alternative metal. I realize most of the people there listen to doom and death and whatever else, and I did list lighter bands, but that doesn't mean that bands like As Blood Runs Black aren't metal, because they are. Hell, Evanescence is metal. I don't really like them, but they are officially a metal band. Bands like Slipknot and Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin are heavy rock to alternative metal. People there are just too narrow-minded in their taste to think that only bands like Entombed and whatever the hell else are the only thing that counts as metal.
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emogirl View Post
    Okay, metal is an extremely large and vague genre of music, and it DOES include alternative metal. I realize most of the people there listen to doom and death and whatever else, and I did list lighter bands, but that doesn't mean that bands like As Blood Runs Black aren't metal, because they are. Hell, Evanescence is metal. I don't really like them, but they are officially a metal band. Bands like Slipknot and Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin are heavy rock to alternative metal. People there are just too narrow-minded in their taste to think that only bands like Entombed and whatever the hell else are the only thing that counts as metal.
    Im on my phone, so ill reply properly when im next on my pc. But i just thought id say that what makes something metal or not isnt mearly about heaviness. Also how is a band 'officially' metal?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emogirl View Post
    Okay, metal is an extremely large and vague genre of music, and it DOES include alternative metal. I realize most of the people there listen to doom and death and whatever else, and I did list lighter bands, but that doesn't mean that bands like As Blood Runs Black aren't metal, because they are. Hell, Evanescence is metal. I don't really like them, but they are officially a metal band. Bands like Slipknot and Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin are heavy rock to alternative metal. People there are just too narrow-minded in their taste to think that only bands like Entombed and whatever the hell else are the only thing that counts as metal.
    I'm sorry, but this post is just painful.
    Blood Runs Black aren't metal, they're metalcore. Metalcore is a sick love child genre between metal and hardcore rock, that should never have existed.
    Evanescence aren't metal either, they're closer to emo, a genre completely unrelated to metal.
    Slipknot, Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin, while metal, aren't of the sub-genre you described them as. They're Nu-metal, and is very much a love or hate genre. For a very good reason. It is very much inferior in every way when compared to proper, British heavy metal and NWOBHM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertStyx View Post
    I'm sorry, but this post is just painful.
    Blood Runs Black aren't metal, they're metalcore. Metalcore is a sick love child genre between metal and hardcore rock, that should never have existed.
    Evanescence aren't metal either, they're closer to emo, a genre completely unrelated to metal.
    Slipknot, Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin, while metal, aren't of the sub-genre you described them as. They're Nu-metal, and is very much a love or hate genre. For a very good reason. It is very much inferior in every way when compared to proper, British heavy metal and NWOBHM.
    ...Cool story bro. Did all of you annoying metal guys come here just to argue with me? This isn't a debate thread about metal versus rock versus sub genres. So, I, for the second time, will ignore you all, because you are not worth my time.

    SO ANYWAY, let's talk about this rock music whatever. Favorite bands?
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Well, you know when you use things like Windows Media Player, or you look at the genres of music on your iPod? Their songs are under metal. That's how.
    And, well, what DOES make it metal then?
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Cool, so when I say something is a certan genre, even if I'm not using a program, it's wrong, but you can correct me? So where did the almighty learn of genre categories, and that no band can be in more than one? I'd love to be able to kneel at your pedestal, and learn your knowledge.

    Lemme see, rock bands...I like quite a few of the older 'classic rock' bands like Metallica, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, I don't really feel like making a giant list, and newer ones like Three Days Grace, August Burns Red, Breaking Benjamin...and a majority of the bands who played at WT this year..
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emogirl View Post
    Cool, so when I say something is a certan genre, even if I'm not using a program, it's wrong, but you can correct me? So where did the almighty learn of genre categories, and that no band can be in more than one? I'd love to be able to kneel at your pedestal, and learn your knowledge.
    Its some thing you pick up and learn when you learn music, and spend time around musicians, as I have for the past 8-9 years. It's some thing you grow very anal over (FYI: Musicians are anal about EVERY thing, some thing you have to learn to tolerate...), like this!

    Quote Originally Posted by emogirl View Post
    Lemme see, rock bands...I like quite a few of the older 'classic rock' bands like Metallica, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, I don't really feel like making a giant list, and newer ones like Three Days Grace, August Burns Red, Breaking Benjamin...and a majority of the bands who played at WT this year..
    Ozzy and Sabbath are definitely heavy metal. Metallica are primarily thrash metal (clues in the name there ), but their more recent stuff is very country, blues and rock influenced, so I can let that one slide.
    August Burns are metalcore rather than rock, and Breaking Benjamin is considered more Nu-Metal, though I can see where they would considered rock (see, at least I'm trying to lighten up *puppy dog eyes* ).

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oh I Get Around...
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Getting back on track...

    What are you guys favourite rock albums of the last decade by years?

    2000: Heartbreaker - Ryan Adams
    2001: Gold - Ryan Adams
    2002: Time Bomb High School - Reigning Sound
    2003: Youth & Young Manhood - Kings of Leon
    2004: Almost Killed Me - The Hold Steady
    2005: Rouges Rebels & Sworn Brothers - Lucero
    2006: Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    2007: Sink or Swim - The Gaslight Anthem
    2008: Cage the Elephant - Cage the Elephant
    2009: Farm - Dinosaur Jr
    2010: Sao Paulo - The Deadstring Brothers
    2011: A Southern Offering - Zach Williams & the Reformation

    Other notbale mentions - Stay Positive - The Hold Steady (2008), The Big Come Up - The Black Keys (2002)

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •