Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock on SPPf!

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    nah it's from a few weeks ago, i've actually sold two of the CDs, but i've also ordered like 4 more of their records (Moonloop, Lightbulb Sun, Deadwing, Waiting). i look forward to discussing porcupine tree with you more when you are more familiar with their catalogue B|
    What would you recommend I start with? My only full album is Deadwing, as I said

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler 99 View Post
    What would you recommend I start with? My only full album is Deadwing, as I said
    if you want more of the metal stuff like on Deadwing, listen to Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia. if you want more of the Pink Floyd sorta stuff, listen to Signfiy and The Sky Moves Sideways. if you want some nice acoustic and poppy stuff, listen to Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun

i really don't think you can go wrong with any of their albums though (except maybe the first one)
    life is
    a game

Theory of a Deadman is coming here in the beginning of Dec. I just saw 'em in February but I would have liked to see 'em again. They're playing with Big Wreck and from the songs I've heard from them, they're really good. Damn.

I just found out that for Black Friday or something, tickets were 25% off too.. I'm sure there's still some available but it's a really small venue, I'm totally broke and I like being close to the stage. Ah well..

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_SGG View Post
    They're great but imo Metallica is their best album overall.
    The "Black Album" is, indeed, probably the easiest to get into and has some of my favorite Metallica songs (Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam, Holier Than Thou, The Struggle Within).

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    no no no, Ride the Lightning. Metallica was a little generic, but still very good. It was also the first album I ever owned.
    Ride's great. The title track, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death? Solid stuff. I'd rate it, like most critics do, alongside Master and Justice in terms of rank. Justice, though, does suffer in terms of production, but I couldn't really name a song off it that I skip readily. Well, okay, nor could I for the other two, but I think that Justice had higher-grade compositions.

Yeah Metallica have a few decent soft songs. I actually prefer most of Load to most of their other albums for that reason.
    I think I'll take "Low Man's Lyric" off ReLoad first. But I might be the only one.

if you want more of the metal stuff like on Deadwing, listen to Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia. if you want more of the Pink Floyd sorta stuff, listen to Signfiy and The Sky Moves Sideways. if you want some nice acoustic and poppy stuff, listen to Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun

i really don't think you can go wrong with any of their albums though (except maybe the first one)
    The first album has its merits, too... maybe not as many as the later ones, yes.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 29th November 2012 at 4:48 PM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Recently I've been listening to The Beatles a lot. A lot of people say that they're not proper "rock" and they're too mainstream but it's mostly their earlier stuff which gets targeted, namely A Hard Day's Night and Help, etc. From Revolver onwards, it definitely gets more serious, peaking at the White Album, which is incredibly underrated in my opinion. Helter Skelter is the first song that comes to mind when I think of their brilliant lesser-known tracks, but also While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Yer Blues are also good examples. It's a shame that people fixate on stuff like Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour and make judgements from those (and McCartney performing old tracks in modern situations doesn't help matters either).

Guns N' Roses and My Chemical Romance make for good listening as well. I only really listen to Metallica when I want real hardcore metal, I find it admittedly a bit too grating to listen to on a regular basis.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Recently I've been listening to The Beatles a lot. A lot of people say that they're not proper "rock" and they're too mainstream
    Which is a bunch of dumb ********.

the White Album, which is incredibly underrated in my opinion. Helter Skelter is the first song that comes to mind when I think of their brilliant lesser-known tracks,
    How does one of the most widely critically-lauded albums of all time count as "incredibly underrated"? I also highly doubt "Helter Skelter" could ever be called "lesser-known." It is easily one of the famous tracks on that album, and not just because of Charles Manson.

I do like the album, but let's be fair -- it is easily one of the most massively well-rated albums ever.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    Which is a bunch of dumb ********.

How does one of the most widely critically-lauded albums of all time count as "incredibly underrated"? I also highly doubt "Helter Skelter" could ever be called "lesser-known." It is easily one of the famous tracks on that album, and not just because of Charles Manson.

I do like the album, but let's be fair -- it is easily one of the most massively well-rated albums ever.
    Oh. Well from what I've gathered most people flock to Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road and the White Album is just sort of... left there. Mostly due to Revolution 9, I think.
    I guess I was bending towards public opinion and to those people who don't really listen to music, if you know what I mean. Most Beatles fans will know about Rishikesh and the Maharishi and the influence it had on the album but most people are unaware.

I guess some people would see it as well-rated. It's one of the few Beatles albums of which there are very, very few songs I dislike, which is in itself huge achievement seeing as it's a double album.

But yes, I think it's mostly the (for lack of a better word) mess and the wildness of the album which scares people off. Which is ridiculous as Sgt. Pepper has A Day in the Life, which is both insane and brilliant in the face of it, much like the White Album.
    Last edited by Poetry; 29th November 2012 at 8:25 PM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Oh. Well from what I've gathered most people flock to Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road and the White Album is just sort of... left there. Mostly due to Revolution 9, I think.
    That's probably the only reason, if anything, and even then, people consider it "revolutionary" (...) but don't listen to it.

I guess I was bending towards public opinion and to those people who don't really listen to music, if you know what I mean. Most Beatles fans will know about Rishikesh and the Maharishi and the influence it had on the album but most people are unaware.

But yes, I think it's mostly the (for lack of a better word) mess and the wildness of the album which scares people off. Which is ridiculous as Sgt. Pepper has A Day in the Life, which is both insane and brilliant in the face of it, much like the White Album.
    Fair enough. And yes, I think that there was still a lot of hopping-around on albums like Sgt. Pepper's and Abbey Road, which means that being scared off by it is kind of unfair. Then again, I guess they did also cut "Only a Northern Song" off of Sgt. Pepper's.

The usual links

That's probably the only reason, if anything, and even then, people consider it "revolutionary" (...) but don't listen to it.

Fair enough. And yes, I think that there was still a lot of hopping-around on albums like Sgt. Pepper's and Abbey Road, which means that being scared off by it is kind of unfair. Then again, I guess they did also cut "Only a Northern Song" off of Sgt. Pepper's.
    I actually like Revolution 9 a lot. It's a huge mess, yes, but it's got a certain beauty which I can't put my finger on. It's a very enjoyable listen for me and I always look forward to listening to it when I pick up the White Album.

Hmm... Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road do maintain a certain order and neatness in their track listings. Sgt. Pepper's tracks just seem to slot together as with any good album tracklist, and Abbey Road of course has McCartney's brilliant medley on the second half to make up for the weaker tracks like Maxwell's Silver Hammer and (you're probably going to hate me for this) Something.

I do like Only A Northern Song. It fitted very well into the Yellow Submarine film.
    Last edited by Poetry; 29th November 2012 at 8:35 PM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

The "Black Album" is, indeed, probably the easiest to get into and has some of my favorite Metallica songs (Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam, Holier Than Thou, The Struggle Within).
    Holier than Thou is probably the only song on the album I'm not the biggest fan of. I much prefer Nothing Else Matters or My Friend of Misery. Actually, scratch that, Of Wolf and Man is my favourite song of the whole album.

Ride's great. The title track, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death? Solid stuff. I'd rate it, like most critics do, alongside Master and Justice in terms of rank.
    Like I said, Fade to Black is one of my favourites for sure, but a lot of the Ride the Lightning songs have the feeling that some Kill 'Em All songs do, they just feel meaningless.

I think I'll take "Low Man's Lyric" off ReLoad first. But I might be the only one.
    Personally out of all their "soft" songs I like the Unforgiven III the best. It like touches your soul, man

Yeah but that's just my opinion

Ride's great. The title track, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death? Solid stuff. I'd rate it, like most critics do, alongside Master and Justice in terms of rank. Justice, though, does suffer in terms of production, but I couldn't really name a song off it that I skip readily. Well, okay, nor could I for the other two, but I think that Justice had higher-grade compositions.
    I always found the songs on Justice to sound very similar to each other. Play any of the last 4 tracks and I still wouldn't guess them right, even after the 10~ish listens I've given it. It's still good though; I would call 'One' their best song, and 'To live is to Die' is my favourite instrumental by them.

DAMN IT, I'M LIKE THE ONLY GUY WHO PREFERS LOAD TO RELOAD IN THE ENTIRE WORLD

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_SGG View Post
    Personally out of all their "soft" songs I like the Unforgiven III the best. It like touches your soul, man

Yeah but that's just my opinion
    I prefer Unforgiven I and II. III has weird lyrics.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

DAMN IT, I'M LIKE THE ONLY GUY WHO PREFERS LOAD TO RELOAD IN THE ENTIRE WORLD
    Load has other good songs, too, like "King Nothing." Remember that ReLoad has "Fuel," which is like a comedy routine.

Also, I think one of the Load singles had a cover of "Fell On Black Days" as a B-side, so I'll take that one, too.

The usual links

I prefer Unforgiven I and II. III has weird lyrics.
    I like the original better than III, but I like III better than II.

The first album has its merits, too... maybe not as many as the later ones, yes.
    i love the first album but when you are trying to get introduced to a band which are usually labelled as "prog rock" it is probably not the best place to start

B)
    life is
    a game

Damn it moot, stop having such a good collection of music
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

I only liked the white album, due to the fact that it was very well produced. it really sounds like it was recorded in today's time tbh.

not as great as sgt. peppers or rubber soul.

but yeah, you guys gotta check out that indie rock right now.

cursive, wild nothing, real estate, portugal. the man and natural child are really good choices in the face of rock music right now
    Last edited by Rave; 30th November 2012 at 11:47 PM.

i loved portugal. the man a few years ago. i'm going to have to check them out again, haven't heard their recent stuff. did you hear them when they were anatomy of a ghost? i used to love that band.

all your light is the creepiest video, i might puke.
    Last edited by indifference; 1st December 2012 at 12:02 AM.

the latest album where that song is from is really good. the band has really come a long ways and has really impacted music. they've really reached quite the level from where they're at and coming from.
    Last edited by Rave; 1st December 2012 at 1:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    not as great as sgt. peppers
    agree
    haven't listened to rubber soul yet because i haven't found a copy for under $40, that and revolver are next on my list

also on my to buy list:

in the wake of poseidon, islands and discipline by king crimson
    life is
    a game

agree
    haven't listened to rubber soul yet because i haven't found a copy for under $40, that and revolver are next on my list
    I found Rubber Soul to be a bit disappointing, contrary to what everyone else thinks. Really, the only songs I like on there are Drive My Car, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man and In My Life, the rest are sort of filler-ish. It's a bit plain as an album, whereas Revolver has a much more interesting edgy sort of feel to it.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

I found Rubber Soul to be a bit disappointing, contrary to what everyone else thinks. Really, the only songs I like on there are Drive My Car, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man and In My Life, the rest are sort of filler-ish. It's a bit plain as an album, whereas Revolver has a much more interesting edgy sort of feel to it.
    you'd need to have an appreciation for bob dylan to be able to dig that album. rubber soul was inspired off of him.

i almost think it was a mistake starting with sgt pepper's, i can't imagine anything topping that so it will all be downhill from here on out lol
    life is
    a game

agree
    I assume this is vinyl. Either that or the Australian dollar is worth way less than I thought it was...

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    I assume this is vinyl.
    yep i am an elitist hipster douchebag. i am listening to bands from the 60s/70s that i have never listened to ~as they were meant to be heard~. currently the only bands i have done this with are the beatles and king crimson (edit: and mike oldfield), but i will probably do it for jethro tull and ELP as well

Last edited by moot; 1st December 2012 at 9:49 AM.
    life is
    a game

I need to check out some Beatles stuff. I likes me some trippy stuff and I know they've done there share of that.

So I just skimmed through a majority of the Red Hot Chili Pepper's discography (up to By the Way). Blood Sugar Sex Magic isn't as uninteresting as I thought, but it still seems kind of overrated compared to the bands other albums.

It's pretty strange that listening to the radio has significantly expanded my horizons. People normally associate it playing the same **** over and over again, but it's actually introduced me to a lot of good bands and changed my mind on quite a few others.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast