Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock on SPPf!

King Crimson seems pretty interesting. I don't think length will be a problem with most of their songs. The 10 minute rule is a really rough estimate mostly to avoid something like Tales of Topographic Oceans or Thick as a Brick. It's also not so much the length itself as it is the time investment one song takes, I am not likely to listen to a song much if it is really long due to time constraints.

Is King Crimson's 90s and later stuff worth a listen ? I have been researching New Standard tuning and the Chapman Stick and it appears a lot of their newer stuff uses both so I am a little curious.

The Mars Volta seems a little closer to my tastes particularly with all the non-rock influences tossed in.

I am probably going to try and familiarize myself with both bands, though they aren't exactly what I had in mind.

If it sounds like I am being a bit difficult it's mostly because I have got a very specific sound in mind, which may or may not exist. Like a combination ofthis and this, perhaps with a some synths liberally tossed into the mix. I am not sure if anyone relate to having a specific style pre-made into their head, but that sometimes happens with me.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    King Crimson seems pretty interesting. I don't think length will be a problem with most of their songs. The 10 minute rule is a really rough estimate mostly to avoid something like Tales of Topographic Oceans or Thick as a Brick. It's also not so much the length itself as it is the time investment one song takes, I am not likely to listen to a song much if it is really long due to time constraints.

Is King Crimson's 90s and later stuff worth a listen ? I have been researching New Standard tuning and the Chapman Stick and it appears a lot of their newer stuff uses both so I am a little curious.

The Mars Volta seems a little closer to my tastes particularly with all the non-rock influences tossed in.

I am probably going to try and familiarize myself with both bands, though they aren't exactly what I had in mind.

If it sounds like I am being a bit difficult it's mostly because I have got a very specific sound in mind, which may or may not exist. Like a combination ofthis and this, perhaps with a some synths liberally tossed into the mix. I am not sure if anyone relate to having a specific style pre-made into their head, but that sometimes happens with me.
    shit man, i love Cynic, but they are kinda unique as far as i am aware (i definitely haven't found much similar). as for King Crimson, they have been a clusterfuck of lineup changes and hiatuses from the start, so they have a few separate eras; the first encompasses the albums In The Court Of The Crimson King, In The Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red. this is the only period i've listened to (except I haven't heard Red yet). i have asked around on other forums on whether or not i should listen to their post-Red-hiatus stuff, and the answer was a resounding yes. usually the most recommended are Discipline and THRAK.
    life is
    a game

The Mars Volta professional to the rescue!

De-Loused in the Comatorium is definitely their best album. Though based on the links you posted, I suggest you check out Amputechture. It's their most "complicated" record, and most people find it difficult to get into, but it's amazing. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1_1VgDVmQo

There's also Octahedron, which is their "poppy" record. It's my least favourite but some people I've tried to get into TMV have liked it best. Link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIwH9R03fAg

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    shit man, i love Cynic, but they are kinda unique as far as i am aware (i definitely haven't found much similar).
    Exivious and Aghora both have a similar sound to Cynic, minus the vocals, though it's worth mentioning they both have had Cynic members in them. (though I am starting to edge a little too close to the metal thread now)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    The Mars Volta professional to the rescue!

De-Loused in the Comatorium is definitely their best album. Though based on the links you posted, I suggest you check out Amputechture. It's their most "complicated" record, and most people find it difficult to get into, but it's amazing. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1_1VgDVmQo

There's also Octahedron, which is their "poppy" record. It's my least favourite but some people I've tried to get into TMV have liked it best. Link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIwH9R03fAg
    The song from Amutechture does seem to be my favorite of the songs I have been linked too, probably because I am a bit more oriented towards melody/harmony/texture. (not that I can't appreciate a well written rhythm) My opinion on poppier records is depends on the execution. Being more ear pleasing, catchy or accessible isn't a bad thing in of itself, but if it means losing distinctiveness it's easily a net loss. (Octahedron seems to be on the good side of poppier however)

Anyway, to try and shift the conversation a bit towards something most people can join in on: Rock has a great deal of subgenres, anyone have any particular favorites or least favorites?
    Last edited by Zazie; 19th January 2013 at 4:32 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:

post rock and prog rock are easily my favourites. i just listened to Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink for the first time, would recommend
    life is
    a game

Anyway, to try and shift the conversation a bit towards something most people can join in on: Rock has a great deal of subgenres, anyone have any particular favorites or least favorites?
    Alt. Rock and Britpop are my obvious answers, btu more recently I've taken a fond interest in Prog-rock
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

I kind of have a longish list of genres and pseudo genres. I listen to:

80/90s Alternative/Indie
    (from post punk/new wave up until the alternative got too mainstream and indie got too tame.)
    Goth Rock/Industrial (it's so blended at this point it's become one genre)
    Progressive Rock (kind of a neophyte, since I usually skip long songs on internet radio)
    Some modern punk/post-hardcore (mostly the artier or more melodic stuff)
    Glam Rock (barring the really poppy stuff)
    Pre-Korn Alternative metal (think Faith No More or Living Colour)
    90s visual kei (kind of a guilty pleasure)
    Some other metal (better described in the proper thread)

I sometimes enjoy stuff outside my comfort zone as well, like Tom Petty or Jimi Hendrix. The only thing I actively dislike is arena rock, with exception of Queen, Boston and Journey.
    Last edited by Zazie; 20th January 2013 at 12:37 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:

so er new steven wilson with an early aoty lead, don't see anything toppling it until potentially intronaut in march (which isn't even rock but w/e).

some goodies from this year:
    palm desert
    unknown mortal orchestra
    incura

Here's an oldie but goodie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU5nXwioRVs

This is one of Billy Squier's better songs
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

Rock has a great deal of subgenres, anyone have any particular favorites or least favorites?
    Post and prog rock are my favourites as well.

I also like experimental rock quite a lot, and a little of post-hardcore, dream pop and indie rock.

Alternative, Indie, and Folk are easily my favorites.

The Beatles are a great band too, as well as the members' solo work. John Lennon's post-Beatles work was particularly good.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

I wish I could go to a Def Leppard concert, I'm miss last year when they had came to my country, it was one of the worst mistakes that I ever made, and Def Leppard is my favorite band.
    Lucario: Master of Aura...... and Chocolate!

FC(Pokemon Y): 4313-1362-5177

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalAlchemist View Post
    The Beatles are a great band too, as well as the members' solo work. John Lennon's post-Beatles work was particularly good.
    Plastic Ono Band is okay but I really can't stand his other work as it doesn't offer anything new.

None of them had an outstanding solo career in my opinion.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Lucario95 View Post
    I wish I could go to a Def Leppard concert, I'm miss last year when they had came to my country, it was one of the worst mistakes that I ever made, and Def Leppard is my favorite band.
    At least they would come back some day.

What is the next King Crimson album I should try?

all of them
    life is
    a game

Go with the 70s/80s albums. Well, Thrak is nice, too. But the 2000s albums are kind of a low point, to me. The Power to Believe has a couple nice instrumentals at least, though.

Also, Steven Wilson's new album is, as I mentioned in the metal thread, very very good. Definitely standard-setting for this year.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    None of them had an outstanding solo career in my opinion.
    None of them had a particularly dazzling lasting career but Harrison's first solo album was a knockout. All Things Must Pass is better than a lot of the albums the Beatles made.

And I suppose Lennon and McCartney had their moments. God, Live and Let Die, Junk, Working Class Hero, Maybe I'm Amazed, etc.
    Last edited by Poetry; 28th January 2013 at 7:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    None of them had a particularly dazzling lasting career but Harrison's first solo album was a knockout. All Things Must Pass is better than a lot of the albums the Beatles made.
    From what I've heard of post-Beatles solo material, it's my favourite as well, but there's a hell of a lot of filler on this album. I guess that's to be expected from a triple album I suppose.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

My favorite Rock bands:

1.Shiny Toy Guns
    My Chemical Romance
    Fall Out Boy
    Queen
    HIM
    A.F.I.
    Evanescence
    Paramore
    Flyleaf
    The Beatles
    Skillet
    Breaking Benjamin
    Too many to name, Rock is my favorite genre.
    Last edited by Dreamy; 9th February 2013 at 3:56 PM.

My favorite Rock band: Crush 40

Favorite songs from them:

Knight of the Wind
    Live and Learn
    Open your Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Ocean Colour Scene released their new album Painting this week. It's kinda boring, and definitely not as good as what Saturday was, but either way it's still quite a nice listen at some points.

Also My Bloody Valentine released m b v. Umm it's also alright but given a 22-year waiting period, I think that most people are disappointed by it. I didn't wait 22 years for it so I can't speak for myself, but you know.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Ocean Colour Scene released their new album Painting this week. It's kinda boring, and definitely not as good as what Saturday was, but either way it's still quite a nice listen at some points.
    Doodle book sounded dirty to me for a min or so when I was listening to it.
    Also My Bloody Valentine released m b v. Umm it's also alright but given a 22-year waiting period, I think that most people are disappointed by it. I didn't wait 22 years for it so I can't speak for myself, but you know.
    Most bands who broken up shouldn't come back for another album.
    Doodle Board also gave me a dirty mind.
    Last edited by kuzronk; 24th February 2013 at 10:36 AM.

I bought Insurgentes by Steven Wilson and I love it. Experimental Prog. The harmonies and chord progressions on this album are enough to send shivers up my spine every time. And there's a song with the time signature 11.5/4, if I have that right. It's a really pissing amazing cd.

Also, my friend started me listening to Radiohead, if anyone has any suggestions for beginning songs, let me know. I can't stand Karma Police but I like almost everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler 99 View Post
    I bought Insurgentes by Steven Wilson and I love it. Experimental Prog. The harmonies and chord progressions on this album are enough to send shivers up my spine every time.
    yesssssssssssssssssss my favourite album of all time ever

It's a really pissing amazing cd.
    heh, that's cute

Also, my friend started me listening to Radiohead, if anyone has any suggestions for beginning songs, let me know. I can't stand Karma Police but I like almost everything else.
    i don't really like OK Computer as much as most people, i'd recommend starting with Kid A (Everything In Its Right Place, How To Disappear Completely)
    life is
    a game

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast