Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock on SPPf!

do any of you guys listen to comus? they are a weird 70s acid folk band and their first album is very interesting

http://youtu.be/jL6vYbCjAqo
    http://youtu.be/kIO4kLQ1kJE

if you don't like the first, watch the second anyway because it features some incredible acoustic guitar work
    life is
    a game

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurus View Post
    Theory of a Deadman is coming here in the beginning of Dec.
    Isn't Theory of a Deadman just a Nickleback copy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Recently I've been listening to The Beatles a lot. A lot of people say that they're not proper "rock" and they're too mainstream.
    Only beatles albums I seem to hate are the early ones like With The Beatles.
    Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    haven't listened to rubber soul yet because i haven't found a copy for under $40, that and revolver are next on my list
    http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music...g-vinyl/675692
    http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music...edition/449259
    Last edited by kuzronk; 2nd December 2012 at 5:50 AM.

would rather buy a copy from the 60s, i have heard bad things about the quality control on the new pressings
    life is
    a game

Quote Originally Posted by kuzronk View Post
    Only beatles albums I seem to hate are the early ones like With The Beatles.
    See, usually I'd agree with you but I've found that after listening to their mostly experimental later stuff, I've been craving their earlier material because it's just purer, simpler rock without any gimmicks. Please Please Me is a good example - yes it's their first album and they were still trying to find their feet musically, but that album has a lot of exceptional original tracks, along with some nice covers. All of the tracks on that album are just plain and simple rock which I enjoy because it just represents the basic format of what they were meant to be - a foursome from Liverpool who sang songs about teenage love and dancing. Their experimentation with musical styles and drugs may have brought with it a new era of psychedelia and tragical mystery tours, but sometimes I like some of their pre-Rubber Soul albums best. Beatles For Sale is especially surprising as it has quite a dark undertone to some of the songs which would have been unexpected of a christmas release at the time.

In addition to that, was there ever an album opener as foot-tappingly good as I Saw Her Standing There? (well, maybe Drive my Car and Sgt. Pepper's and Back in the U.S.S.R but you get what I mean).

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    See, usually I'd agree with you but I've found that after listening to their mostly experimental later stuff, I've been craving their earlier material because it's just purer, simpler rock without any gimmicks. Please Please Me is a good example - yes it's their first album and they were still trying to find their feet musically, but that album has a lot of exceptional original tracks, along with some nice covers. All of the tracks on that album are just plain and simple rock which I enjoy because it just represents the basic format of what they were meant to be - a foursome from Liverpool who sang songs about teenage love and dancing. Their experimentation with musical styles and drugs may have brought with it a new era of psychedelia and tragical mystery tours, but sometimes I like some of their pre-Rubber Soul albums best. Beatles For Sale is especially surprising as it has quite a dark undertone to some of the songs which would have been unexpected of a christmas release at the time.

In addition to that, was there ever an album opener as foot-tappingly good as I Saw Her Standing There? (well, maybe Drive my Car and Sgt. Pepper's and Back in the U.S.S.R but you get what I mean).
    The pre-Rubber Soul albums aren't as good as the post ones, but they're still pretty amazing recordings, so I agree with this. The songwriting for some of these songs just wasn't there though (referring directly to Little Child), which impacted a some of the songs which weren't covers. That said, I would place the Beatles' albums in this order, best to worst:

1. Revolver
    2. Sgt. Pepper
    3. Abbey Road
    4. Rubber Soul
    5. White Album
    6. Please Please Me
    7. Help!
    8. Let It Be
    9. With the Beatles
    10. Hard Day's Night
    11. Beatles for Sale

Yellow Submarine makes me feel ill on the B-side, and I've never fully listened to the Magical Mystery Tour, so yeah can't include those.

Theory of a Deadman and Big Wreck are coming here in 4 days. Wish I was going. Seen Theory in February surprised they're back already, but I've heard some of Big Wreck's songs and they're real good.

Missed Red Hot Chilli Peppers the other week. So crappy.

My next "concert" would be Rock of Ages (play) that I'm taking my dad to.. wow next week already.

Billy Talent just announced they're coming here in.. March. Plan on seeing them, just not sure who I'd go with.

Also Buckcherry is playing a show at a bar here so I might see 'em with my cousin. I've only seen them headline but I've seen them so many times that I began to like them. Might as well pay $20 odd bucks to see 'em up close!

Also keeping an ear out for Three Days Grace's tour. Can't wait to see them again.
    Last edited by dinosaurus; 2nd December 2012 at 9:13 PM.

my most recent concerts were Angus Stone and Coldplay, next one on the list is Godspeed You! Black Emperor. gy!be is probably going to be incredible, and i'm gonna be at their first ever Australian show :>

also aw yeah two porcupine tree singles in one week i am doing all right:

life is
    a game

my most recent concerts were Angus Stone and Coldplay, next one on the list is Godspeed You! Black Emperor. gy!be is probably going to be incredible, and i'm gonna be at their first ever Australian show :>

also aw yeah two porcupine tree singles in one week i am doing all right:

I like what I see, Stars Die was the first song I bought by them

Love the album cover too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    The pre-Rubber Soul albums aren't as good as the post ones, but they're still pretty amazing recordings, so I agree with this. The songwriting for some of these songs just wasn't there though (referring directly to Little Child), which impacted a some of the songs which weren't covers. That said, I would place the Beatles' albums in this order, best to worst:

1. Revolver
    2. Sgt. Pepper
    3. Abbey Road
    4. Rubber Soul
    5. White Album
    6. Please Please Me
    7. Help!
    8. Let It Be
    9. With the Beatles
    10. Hard Day's Night
    11. Beatles for Sale

Yellow Submarine makes me feel ill on the B-side, and I've never fully listened to the Magical Mystery Tour, so yeah can't include those.
    Ah, I refrained from listening to Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour for a while but those have some really good tracks like I Am the Walrus, Blue Jay Way, All Together Now, Hey Bulldog etc. The film is jaw-droppingly awful though, of course.

Here's my list:

1. White Album
    2. Sgt. Pepper
    3. Abbey Road
    4. Revolver
    5. A Hard Day's Night
    6. Beatles For Sale
    7. Please Please Me
    8. Help!
    9. Rubber Soul
    10. Let It Be
    11. With The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurus View Post
    Theory of a Deadman and Big Wreck are coming here in 4 days. Wish I was going. Seen Theory in February surprised they're back already, but I've heard some of Big Wreck's songs and they're real good.

Missed Red Hot Chilli Peppers the other week. So crappy.

My next "concert" would be Rock of Ages (play) that I'm taking my dad to.. wow next week already.

Billy Talent just announced they're coming here in.. March. Plan on seeing them, just not sure who I'd go with.

Also Buckcherry is playing a show at a bar here so I might see 'em with my cousin. I've only seen them headline but I've seen them so many times that I began to like them. Might as well pay $20 odd bucks to see 'em up close!

Also keeping an ear out for Three Days Grace's tour. Can't wait to see them again.
    Sorry, but that's like a list of things people SHOULDN'T be listening to.

Xcept maybe the chili peppers

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post

I've heard of worse candidates, and probably still listen to them on a regular basis.

I haven't really heard the new RHCP, so I can't weigh in on it much, but I did love the hell out of all of the Frusciante albums. But at least some of them could have stood way better production.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    I've heard of worse candidates, and probably still listen to them on a regular basis.

I haven't really heard the new RHCP, so I can't weigh in on it much, but I did love the hell out of all of the Frusciante albums. But at least some of them could have stood way better production.
    Their singles from the new album are pretty good, but it seems to be more along the lines of their last two albums. Quite honestly the band doesn't need Frusciante. They released two good albums before either Frusciante or Smith joined in the 80s.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

my Mike Oldfield and King Crimson explorations continue

not as huge on Islands as i was on Lizard (or ItCotCK or Larks' Tongues) though
    life is
    a game

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post

New RHCP is actually decent. I was kinda expecting it to suck, but surprisingly it didn't. Josh's an awesome musician and he laid low with his first album with RHCP, which was a good move cause he was moving in on John's shadow. And Kiedis's lyrics and vocal delivery seem to have matured, as surprising as that was (well, matured compared to himself). I especially like some Flea's bass on I'm With You.

Nah, this might sound pretentious but the lo-fi production of his solo albums accentuate the music. To Record Only Water For Ten days wouldn't sound as raw if it had better production, same for Niandra Lades and usually Just a T-Shirt. His later albums have good production by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    Their singles from the new album are pretty good, but it seems to be more along the lines of their last two albums. Quite honestly the band doesn't need Frusciante. They released two good albums before either Frusciante or Smith joined in the 80s.
    It's not that they don't need Frusciante, Frusciante had become way too good for them. His musical interests just couldn't be satisfied within a rockband so he had to move, honestly RHCP just limited his talent. I enjoy RHCP but I wouldn't exchange one of his solo albums for the whole RHCP discography.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Nah, this might sound pretentious but the lo-fi production of his solo albums accentuate the music
    an album can be very heavily produced and still sound incredible (see anything mastered and mixed by Steven Wilson), i don't think it's fair to say it couldn't sound better if it's properly produced

It's not that they don't need Frusciante, Frusciante had become way too good for them.
    heh
    life is
    a game

It's not that they don't need Frusciante, Frusciante had become way too good for them. His musical interests just couldn't be satisfied within a rockband so he had to move, honestly RHCP just limited his talent. I enjoy RHCP but I wouldn't exchange one of his solo albums for the whole RHCP discography.
    Fair enough assertion. I wasn't trying to deny Frusciante's talent by any means. His solo work is most certainly one of the better music reccomendations I have got from sppf.

an album can be very heavily produced and still sound incredible (see anything mastered and mixed by Steven Wilson), i don't think it's fair to say it couldn't sound better if it's properly produced
    I think it really depends on the music in question. Some bands just really benefit from simpler or lower fidelity production. Bands like Guided by Voices or Sebadoh kind of lose their character when you polish up their music. Low quality/minimal production can be part of the art of a recording as well, so more polish isn't going to improve anything.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Fair enough assertion. I wasn't trying to deny Frusciante's talent by any means. His solo work is most certainly one of the better music reccomendations I have got from sppf.
    Was it Grizzlyb? He's the only other person on here that I know likes John Frusciante's solo work. I've tried to get people here into it but it just never worked (plus I'm barely active so that doesn't help).

I think it really depends on the music in question. Some bands just really benefit from simpler or lower fidelity production. Bands like Guided by Voices or Sebadoh kind of lose their character when you polish up their music. Low quality/minimal production can be part of the art of a recording as well, so more polish isn't going to improve anything.
    Excellent post. Take notes moot :B.

Hey guys.

Rock, and it's sub genres, are pretty much all I listen to, with some metal. I'll just list some of my favorite bands:

Meat Loaf
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Journey
    Saxon
    Rush
    Led Zeppelin
    Scorpions
    Volbeat

Next year, I am going to see Whitesnake, Journey, and Thunder play together, along with Gamma Ray and Helloween. I wanted to go to Download, but I have a maths exam on the Friday.

let us revive this thread with glorious plastic

Last edited by moot; 11th December 2012 at 2:06 AM.
    life is
    a game

Quote Originally Posted by DJMonty View Post
    Meat Loaf

Quote Originally Posted by kuzronk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMonty
    Meat Loaf
    Hey, it's manly as f**k.

Some people were talking about King Crimson some pages back so I looked them up and I came across Starless. It's a beautiful and relaxing song, do they have any more like that?

"I talk to the Wind"

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post

ohhh dear I am disappoint..

Rock of Ages was really good, I'd recommend that.

got some more King Crimson albums:

really enjoying In The Wake Of Poseidon, hopefully Starless and Bible Black is good (edit: ok it is very good). it'll be the first post-Larks' Tongues King Crimson i've heard
    Last edited by moot; 19th December 2012 at 3:43 AM.
    life is
    a game

Nah, this might sound pretentious but the lo-fi production of his solo albums accentuate the music. To Record Only Water For Ten days wouldn't sound as raw if it had better production, same for Niandra Lades and usually Just a T-Shirt. His later albums have good production by the way.
    I think I meant the RHCP albums, which were WAY TOO LOUD past about the mid-90s, but yeah, fair on those.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast