Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Rock on SPPf!

sure

Dead Kennedys sucked hard except for like three songs and their only contribution the punk scene was nazi punks **** off

want to know anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by junkieloser View Post
    anyone on serebii into Sun Kil Moon?
    new Sun Kil Moon is probaly boring just like everything they've done since they changed the name

Benji was pretty mediocre. April is up there with the RHP stuff and Ghosts of this Great Highway and Admiral Fell Promises are both solid though.

new Swans is probably boring just like everything they've done since they reformed

anyone on serebii into Sun Kil Moon?
    Funny you should mention that, I find older Swans and Benji to be pretty boring myself

Edit: okay I see you didn't like Benji either

Anyone like 65daysofstatic? I just discovered them and I'm enjoying it quite a bit
    Last edited by poix_the_yak; 15th May 2014 at 11:26 PM.

I only heard Benji and Down Colorful Hill but I enjoy the latter more. I heard of them but never really listened.

more sun kil moon
    more red house painters

Mark Kozelek is one of my favourite songwriters. give him a shot beyond those two albums.

Was planning to. Is that modest mouse album a must skip though or is it just butt hurt modest mouse fans hating it?

i've barely listened to modest mouse so i can't really say if it holds up to the originals but it's decent on its own.

If you like post rock (or even if you don't) this is absolutely gorgeous.

It's especially good after 4 minutes but even better with the whole song.

is anyone else, like, incredibly underwhelmed by this new anathema song? kind of worries me that this is the single from the upcoming album because it's not really much i'm seeing them in august so i hope it's just this song and the album turns out to be good
    life is
    a game

Yeah, I kind of agree. I think the second half certainly picked up a lot, but the first half of it just felt like a never ending verse with an overly repetitive drum beat. I don't typically have issues with repetitive drum beats, The Cure's Seventeen Seconds is basically one drum beat the whole album, but this was too energetic and high in the mix to get away with it I feel. I like that the song does build and go somewhere, and like I say, I think the last couple of minutes are grand. But it just feels a bit unbalanced with far too much time given to the section at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    is anyone else, like, incredibly underwhelmed by this new anathema song? kind of worries me that this is the single from the upcoming album because it's not really much i'm seeing them in august so i hope it's just this song and the album turns out to be good
    Yeah I also feel it was underwhelming. At the beginning it had a tkol-era Radiohead/mathrocky drumbeat but it really didn't go anywhere exciting, and I didn't like the female vocals at all. Judging by the title though, it is one part of a 3 parter so not having context might hurt its immediate listenability. Being a 'single' doesn't mean anything to me so that is no reason for concern imo
    Last edited by Fenix; 27th May 2014 at 5:46 PM.

Are you familiar with the band? Female vocals are nothing new, Lee has been (properly) in the band since A Natural Disaster, with her contributions seeming to increase with every release. Or are you just saying you don't like them on this occasion?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
    Or are you just saying you don't like them on this occasion?
    This.

I am well familiar with Lee and some of my favourite songs have her co-vocaling.

Ah fair enough. Sorry if my comment came across a bit holier than thou.

i've barely listened to modest mouse so i can't really say if it holds up to the originals but it's decent on its own.
    What have you heard by them?

so i have heard the new anathema album and first impression is that it's just ok only song i love from it already is the lost song part 2. hopefully the rest grows on me before the end of august
    life is
    a game

I'm hearing mixed things. I read an interview in which they said they've shifted the sound a bit, as they like the idea of constantly evolving as a band. I'm going to wait for my copy to arrive in the post before giving it a try, because I'm stubborn and old fashioned like that :P

Sad news for the Australian rock industry today as Jim Keays, lead singer of The Masters Apprenctices, aged 67, died today. After winning his fight with cancer the required medicines took him instead, we mourn his loss and shall never forget him.

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

Not sure if I have ever listened to them. The lead singer of the angels died the other day as well.

I actually listened to their first album for the first time yesterday and I'm loving it. Nice and loud and also danceable. Catchy as hell.

Any Oceansize fans? There are only two songs I really like from them but goddam they are amazing songs.

i tried to like oceansize but it just didn't do it for me. not like the pineapple thief an porcupine tree did. maybe i should give them another chance
    life is
    a game

Try this out. I'd call it post-rock more than prog; They do have some prog songs but this one isn't so much prog/math-rock as it is post-rock, which I tend to like better than their prog. Look up the lyrics for when they come in at around 4 minutes too, they really give you a good experience while you listen.
    Last edited by poix_the_yak; 20th June 2014 at 9:12 PM.

that was pretty good. i will probably check them out again over this break
    life is
    a game

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast