Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 459

Thread: Rock on SPPf!

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melior, Crimea
    Posts
    1,344

    Default

    I enjoy Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, My Chemical Romance, Rise Against, Nickelback, and A Day to Remember.

    ....These are rock bands in some way, shape, or form, right?
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mariya Shidou View Post
    +1

    Also I just want to support Snorunt conservationist's earlier statements about Prince. Also Frank Zappa is another good choice from his list. They never collaborated because the results would be so amazing the world would cave in.
    Though of course Zappa testified before Congress (I think) on his behalf essentially.

    I also worry that putting two sex addict control freaks in the same studio together would have ended badly.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oh I Get Around...
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Getting back on track...

    What are you guys favourite rock albums of the last decade by years?

    2000: Heartbreaker - Ryan Adams
    2001: Gold - Ryan Adams
    2002: Time Bomb High School - Reigning Sound
    2003: Youth & Young Manhood - Kings of Leon
    2004: Almost Killed Me - The Hold Steady
    2005: Rouges Rebels & Sworn Brothers - Lucero
    2006: Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    2007: Sink or Swim - The Gaslight Anthem
    2008: Cage the Elephant - Cage the Elephant
    2009: Farm - Dinosaur Jr
    2010: Sao Paulo - The Deadstring Brothers
    2011: A Southern Offering - Zach Williams & the Reformation

    Other notbale mentions - Stay Positive - The Hold Steady (2008), The Big Come Up - The Black Keys (2002)

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Favorites? blah.

    I see where being all nit pickity is important, I guess I'm just too lazy and general about it, and the bands I've met have been really chill about it. (my E key isn't working well, sorry if im short a few vowels here and there, lol)

    So, I've heard very different things about them, but A Day To Remember, when I saw them, REALLY sucked. Tone-deaf, and couldn't keep time worth a damn. It was...weird, almost, noticing how different they sounded from their recordings, and losing most of my remaining respect for them. (Oh, I'm in the recording for when they played here, herf derf, check out my sexy sunburn, or not >.<)

    Oh, Black Veil Brides--fantastic freakin performance, oh my god. >.<
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gliese 581-G
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    I enjoy Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, My Chemical Romance, Rise Against, Nickelback, and A Day to Remember.

    ....These are rock bands in some way, shape, or form, right?
    wait what... Nickelback? gtfo.

    no seriously though

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    xD be niiice...I don't like 'em, but...be nice. I used to like em, like, 8 years ago, when I literally wasn't allowed to explore my own taste in music..xD
    The rest of the bands are good for the most part.
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    2,959

    Default

    Are we counting Shoegaze and stuff like that? Cause there's a Cracking band called Ceremony that I reckon everyone should listen to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrxmPFLFKtc

    their album rocket fire was, and still is one of my favourites of last year.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    202

    Default

    I love Led Zeppelin and Queen. But that's about it. I used to love Guns N' Roses, but one day I realized they pretty much have no talent. I'm not really a fan of rock to be honest. Just Zep and Queen. haha

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom & Ireland
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Other than Nirvana, I find American rock quite hard to like. Most of my favourite bands reside in the UK, Canada or Australia.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

  10. #85
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    228

    Default

    I listen to like everything rock - classic, alternative, metal, indie, punk, grunge, blues...everything. Well, besides drone and noise..

    I'm more into more modern rock though, tbh. My main interest is actually in punk because that's more my area, but there's so much rock I'm into.
    ?

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    hurray, Priceless is here.
    People be talkin' smack about our punk genre, Priceless. :/ They claim the lyrics are horrible. which, again, could be said about any genre
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Not just the lyrics. The musicianship is also pretty **** in most cases. Just a really boring genre.

    In addition to which, the anti-establishment nature of Punk is just inherently stupid.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 16th September 2011 at 12:59 PM.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    228

    Default

    heh...look what the cat dragged in.

    Please, good sir...try to actually explain yourself this time. If you can.

    Just because you hate being against the establishment, doesn't mean everyone does. Punk stemmed from people being sick of the system, and honestly I don't blame them; there's nothing wrong with rebelling against the system, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.
    ?

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois/Rhode Island
    Posts
    567

    Default

    My band plays rock and blues music. Here's a video of us playing a cover of Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd. Tell me what you guys think! I'm the guitarist and singer.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7aY6X7pMgg

  15. #90
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve23 View Post
    My band plays rock and blues music. Here's a video of us playing a cover of Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd. Tell me what you guys think! I'm the guitarist and singer.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7aY6X7pMgg
    I like your guitar style, and honestly you've got a pretty good voice. You need a bassist, though. XD
    ?

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless
    heh...look what the cat dragged in.

    Please, good sir...try to actually explain yourself this time. If you can.

    Just because you hate being against the establishment, doesn't mean everyone does. Punk stemmed from people being sick of the system, and honestly I don't blame them; there's nothing wrong with rebelling against the system, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.
    Some times, things need to get out of hand. Unfortunately, that's some times the only way to get the changes that society needs.
    It sickens me occasionally, all of the fight seems to have been sucked out of the west. Nobody stands up for what they believe in any more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve23 View Post
    My band plays rock and blues music. Here's a video of us playing a cover of Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd. Tell me what you guys think! I'm the guitarist and singer.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7aY6X7pMgg
    Generally good musicianship there. You should probably look into some vocal lessons though, and hire a bassist.
    I was also a little disappointed to how closely you stuck to the original song. It confuses me, a lot musicians I know, rock and metal musicians particularly, try to copy the song exactly. If you're going to cover a song, cover it to put your own touch and interpretations on it, not emulate it. If it's going to be emulated, I'm going to listen to the original song.

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    heh...look what the cat dragged in.

    Please, good sir...try to actually explain yourself this time. If you can.

    Just because you hate being against the establishment, doesn't mean everyone does. Punk stemmed from people being sick of the system, and honestly I don't blame them; there's nothing wrong with rebelling against the system, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.
    I explained it a few pages back, but I'll go through again.

    Punk as a genre almost pigeonholes itself into a lyrical/ethical corner with the "nonconformist" (and IMO nihilist) nature that formed both its conception and its present. You may say oh this song doesn't have political lyrics blah blah blah, but Punk is a mindset, and it's a completely childish one.

    I also don't like the way Punk was founded as some kind of rebellion against Guitar Bands who could, you know, play their instruments well and in a way I'd like to listen to. Punk music is just desperately desperately boring.

    I have no problem being anti parts of the establishment (Springsteen being a perfect example of a man whose politics complement yet don't define his music). However, if you are purely anti-establishment, then yeah, I have little time for you and your boring diatribes.

    I've criticised your taste in the Hip-Hop thread too if you want to make ambiguous jabs there.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 17th September 2011 at 1:04 AM.

  18. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    I explained it a few pages back, but I'll go through again.

    Punk as a genre almost pigeonholes itself into a lyrical/ethical corner with the "nonconformist" (and IMO nihilist) nature that formed both its conception and its present. You may say oh this song doesn't have political lyrics blah blah blah, but Punk is a mindset, and it's a completely childish one.

    I also don't like the way Punk was founded as some kind of rebellion against Guitar Bands who could, you know, play their instruments well and in a way I'd like to listen to. Punk music is just desperately desperately boring.

    I have no problem being anti parts of the establishment (Springsteen being a perfect example of a man whose politics complement yet don't define his music). However, if you are purely anti-establishment, then yeah, I have little time for you and your boring diatribes.

    I've criticised your taste in the Hip-Hop thread too if you want to make ambiguous jabs there too.
    Punk is just as fine a genre as something like Hard Bop or Pop. It fufills its purpose by provideing an outlet for the emotions of a lot of people, sometimes being the majority of nonconformist teenagers. And actually, I believe Punk is becoming and more of a conformist kind of thing. The only true 'punk' music left is 'Noise' which goes against all musical nature. Still though, the genre fits into music like any other and noone has the right to call it boring. Plus, it's just plain wrong to say something is boring, because that implies an objective statement when in reality it's always just your opinion. The better phrase is 'this bores me' which reduces the chance for any anger or confusion rising on sides of the conversation. After all, music is the only realm of existence where universal relativism has any legitimacy.
    ~ Love ~
    Peace.
    Music.
    Sappy poems.
    Science!

    The Green Heron

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeugma View Post
    It fufills its purpose by provideing an outlet for the emotions of a lot of people
    So does raping and murdering.

    Plus, it's just plain wrong to say something is boring, because that implies an objective statement when in reality it's always just your opinion.
    Oh ****, so that's what I was stating. My opinion? On a forum? ****. Mindblowing.

    The better phrase is 'this bores me' which reduces the chance for any anger or confusion rising on sides of the conversation.
    I can think of a few better phrases to describe preachy pseuds too. I'll keep them to myself for now.

    After all, music is the only realm of existence where universal relativism has any legitimacy.
    No.

  20. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    So does raping and murdering.

    Listening to punk music =\= raping and murdering. That's an illogical and extreme example.

    Oh ****, so that's what I was stating. My opinion? On a forum? ****. Mindblowing.

    No, you were stating something as if it was a fact when it really was just your opinion.

    I can think of a few better phrases to describe preachy pseuds too. I'll keep them to myself for now.

    Okay.

    No.

    Saying no doesn't prove a point, but I'm not going to force you to elaborate on it or anything. Just realize that it doesn't have any backing in its present form.
    You also might want to chill out a little bit. We're talking about music, not battling to the death in an arena.
    ~ Love ~
    Peace.
    Music.
    Sappy poems.
    Science!

    The Green Heron

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Listening to punk music =\= raping and murdering. That's an illogical and extreme example
    No ****. It was to highlight the idea that just because it is an outlet doesn't necessarily make it a good thing. I was being facetious.

    No, you were stating something as if it was a fact when it really was just your opinion.
    Well no ****ing **** it's my opinion. That's why I'm typing it. I just can't stand it when people resort to "well dat's jst ur opinun lolz" as some kind of legitimate argument. I deal in absolutes. Get over it.

    Saying no doesn't prove a point, but I'm not going to force you to elaborate on it or anything. Just realize that it doesn't have any backing in its present form.
    A ridiculous statement deserves a ridiculous answer.

    You also might want to chill out a little bit. We're talking about music, not battling to the death in an arena.
    Ah yes, the old "appear to sound comforting but really too much of a pussy to be open about my condescension" argument. Rock on.

  22. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    No ****. It was to highlight the idea that just because it is an outlet doesn't necessarily make it a good thing. I was being facetious.

    Punk music doesn't hurt anyone. Raping, and murdering does. Yes they are outlets, but that's just an empty comparison that won't get you anywhere logically sound. So you proved that emotional outlets can sometimes be harmful to other people? Any other obvious facts you'd like to share with us today?

    Well no ****ing **** it's my opinion. That's why I'm typing it. I just can't stand it when people resort to "well dat's jst ur opinun lolz" as some kind of legitimate argument. I deal in absolutes. Get over it.

    I just can't stand it when people resort to trying to pass their opinion off as fact in an argument. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, or even that the idea is wrong, just that you fail to have any other evidence other than "Because I said so." If you're going to express your opinion that Punk music bores you, say it. Don't say Punk music is boring because that's wrong.

    A ridiculous statement deserves a ridiculous answer.

    Once again, you fail to provide any evidence for your case. Can i least get some kind of counter argument here against what I originally said? Or is this just going to be back and forth with these kind of comments forever?

    Ah yes, the old "appear to sound comforting but really too much of a pussy to be open about my condescension" argument. Rock on.

    If my posts make you feel slighted it's simply an over-reaction on your part. I can't imagine anyone being so defesively angry in a real conversation so excuse me If i'm just a bit put off by all the cussing and acidity.
    You seem to be quite the ornery person. May I suggest therapy or a nice, long, hot bath?
    ~ Love ~
    Peace.
    Music.
    Sappy poems.
    Science!

    The Green Heron

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Punk music doesn't hurt anyone. Raping, and murdering does. Yes they are outlets, but that's just an empty comparison that won't get you anywhere logically sound. So you proved that emotional outlets can sometimes be harmful to other people? Any other obvious facts you'd like to share with us today?
    Jesus you really are slow aren't you. The whole point of what I'm saying is that it is an obvious fact. The point you originally made was so pointless and obvious it is rendered irrelevant by its own pedantic nature.

    I just can't stand it when people resort to trying to pass their opinion off as fact in an argument.
    Well then that's pretty stupid isn't it. I'm typing what I think so it's undoubtedly going to be my opinion unless I state otherwise. See also my final point to your last post.

    I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, or even that the idea is wrong.
    Oh, what an honour. Thanks a lot.

    just that you fail to have any other evidence other than "Because I said so." If you're going to express your opinion that Punk music bores you, say it. Don't say Punk music is boring because that's wrong.
    I hear the distant sound of someone bawwwwing. If and when I can be bothered, I shall cite examples. However, I don't really think that anything I said about the roots and beliefs behind punk are inaccurate. Honestly, stop with the debating tips. Get yourself over to the debate forum and read some of my threads. These tactics you hate so much are pretty effective.

    Once again, you fail to provide any evidence for your case. Can i least get some kind of counter argument here against what I originally said? Or is this just going to be back and forth with these kind of comments forever?
    I'll give you a clue. It's the use of the word only.

    If my posts make you feel slighted it's simply an over-reaction on your part. I can't imagine anyone being so defesively angry in a real conversation so excuse me If i'm just a bit put off by all the cussing and acidity.
    Bawwwwwwwwwwww. How would you know how angry I am? I could be high as a kite right now, laughing as I reply to your bloated and pseudo-intellectual "arguments". I really don't care what you think about my argument style. You want to talk about music, we'll talk about music, just stop being such a tool while doing it.

    May I suggest therapy or a nice, long, hot bath?
    I;ll head off to have a wank if it shuts you up.

  24. #99

    Default

    honestly i don't have a problem with musical arguments but all i see is you (snorunt conservationist in case this isn't clear) is repeating the same point over and over again. that's fine and all but i just don't see the point in keep bringing it up. you explained your opinion and i never took it as more than that (though i still don't think your point is valid) but i just don't see why you bother bringing it up when it just causes the same argument over and over again.

    just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeugma View Post
    'Noise'
    i've never actually heard someone describe noise to me.

    i've heard Swans and Godflesh described as noise, but i just consider that stuff heavy industrial or whatever the ****.

    and then i've heard Sunn O))) and **** described as noise, which is an apt description, but then that's just drone.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    I hear the distant sound of someone bawwwwing. If and when I can be bothered, I shall cite examples. However, I don't really think that anything I said about the roots and beliefs behind punk are inaccurate. Honestly, stop with the debating tips. Get yourself over to the debate forum and read some of my threads. These tactics you hate so much are pretty effective.
    I don't think they are effective as you seem to think. I think people just can't be assed 'arguing' with you, because you fail to actually provide any argument, at least one you can back up. Honestly, to me, you said like a little 13 y/o ***** who isn't getting his way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Bawwwwwwwwwwww. How would you know how angry I am? I could be high as a kite right now, laughing as I reply to your bloated and pseudo-intellectual "arguments".
    At least he is actually providing an argument...

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    You want to talk about music, we'll talk about music, just stop being such a tool while doing it.
    I don't think the pot should call the kettle black.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •