Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 459

Thread: Rock on SPPf!

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    sunshine and rainbows land
    Posts
    4,110

    Default

    Rock is the best genre out there.

    Period

    if you have some free time, check out my new demo! ~ last.fm ~ steam

  2. #102

    Default

    I've heard Noise described a lot of different ways. I watched a documentary the other day about it and one man kind of claimed it to be the ultimate in personal music. It's only hearing what you want to hear and it isn't supposed to appeal to anyone else besides you, which is why when we listen to it just sounds like well, noise. Others kind of thought it to be like the next punk rock in defiance of even harmony or discernable patterns. Still others pointed to it as a purely nihilistic music.

    So its definition can change depending on who you ask. You might want to check out someone like Merzbow, particularly his older stuff, to get a gist of what people call 'good' noise music.
    ~ Love ~
    Peace.
    Music.
    Sappy poems.
    Science!

    The Green Heron

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gliese 581-G
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    (directed to the people a few posts up)
    GUYS. Shut. The. ****. Up. Seriously, pointless side-arguments like these are probably the reason people like you have the postcounts you do. People have different ****ing taste, get over it.

    AAAAnyway, Madina Lake (my favorite band, you've probably never heard of them... *puts on hipster glasses*)'s new album came out this week! It's awesome. A few of their songs are a little poppier but overall it's a strong album.

    Does anyone listen to the B-52's? Sure, they're from the 70's and are more pop than rock, but I think they can be considered rock.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertStyx View Post
    I don't think they are effective as you seem to think. I think people just can't be assed 'arguing' with you, because you fail to actually provide any argument, at least one you can back up.
    Oh do me a favour. How on earth can you say I haven't provided any actual argument? So punk wasn't founded in part as a protest against other guitar bands? It doesn't have an anti-establishment and sometimes nihilistic message? Honestly, what the **** is there to debate over that. You want to criticise my opinion that it's boring, then fine, go ahead. Just don't suggest I haven't brought any evidence. It's inaccurate and makes you look a bit.

    Again, get over to the debate forum. Have a look at the smoking threads from yesteryear, and the London Riots thread and tell me my arguments don't hold water.

    Honestly, to me, you said like a little 13 y/o ***** who isn't getting his way.
    Without wanting to cliche, that's a "cool story bro".

    I don't think the pot should call the kettle black.
    Where did I initiate the argument with him? He started an argument out of nothing but his own wish to come across as some enlightened intellectual, spouting pseudo intellectual ******** right out of sixth form english.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    sunshine and rainbows land
    Posts
    4,110

    Default

    Wow... there's some hardcore argument going on here... perhaps I should leave.

    if you have some free time, check out my new demo! ~ last.fm ~ steam

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Oh do me a favour. How on earth can you say I haven't provided any actual argument? So punk wasn't founded in part as a protest against other guitar bands? It doesn't have an anti-establishment and sometimes nihilistic message? Honestly, what the **** is there to debate over that. You want to criticise my opinion that it's boring, then fine, go ahead. Just don't suggest I haven't brought any evidence. It's inaccurate and makes you look a bit.

    Again, get over to the debate forum. Have a look at the smoking threads from yesteryear, and the London Riots thread and tell me my arguments don't hold water.
    You made the one post, the one he took the issue with. Whoopidee doo da! You provided zero evidence since then.
    Again, I reckon people just simply cba with your BS

    Without wanting to cliche, that's a "cool story bro".
    Loving how you separated that from the point it was conjoined with say that.

    Where did I initiate the argument with him? He started an argument out of nothing but his own wish to come across as some enlightened intellectual, spouting pseudo intellectual ******** right out of sixth form english.
    Maybe I should have bolded the 'just stop being such a tool while doing it.'? Might have gotten the point across better.


    Any ways, dropping this here. Don't have the time to argue with some one as simple as yourself.

  7. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeugma View Post
    I've heard Noise described a lot of different ways. I watched a documentary the other day about it and one man kind of claimed it to be the ultimate in personal music. It's only hearing what you want to hear and it isn't supposed to appeal to anyone else besides you, which is why when we listen to it just sounds like well, noise. Others kind of thought it to be like the next punk rock in defiance of even harmony or discernable patterns. Still others pointed to it as a purely nihilistic music.

    So its definition can change depending on who you ask. You might want to check out someone like Merzbow, particularly his older stuff, to get a gist of what people call 'good' noise music.
    yeah, i knew all that, but i've never heard anyone really name too many bands that match the sound. i understand the idea of the genre, but i haven't heard a lot of bands that really match the sound.

    i'll listen to Merzbow though. heard the name but never listened to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyler 99 View Post
    (directed to the people a few posts up)
    GUYS. Shut. The. ****. Up. Seriously, pointless side-arguments like these are probably the reason people like you have the postcounts you do. People have different ****ing taste, get over it.
    god forbid people debate over music.

    though this isn't really as much a debate as much as SC pushing stereotypes that haven't been valid since the 80's.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Honestly? I'm not botehred to stoop to your level anymore. Even on the London Riots thread I was just sick of it, I just wanted to join somerthing where you wouldn't demean everything I say.
    I'm done arguing, so shut up.

    Not just that **** I'm pissed off at; everyone else as well, if you don't rise to it he'll learn not to do it. It's win-win, and we can then turn this thread into an actual rock thread like we all want instead of a flame war.

    @Skyler_99: MADINA LAKE. AWESOME BAND.
    Last edited by Priceless; 17th September 2011 at 2:41 AM.
    ?

  9. #109

    Default

    yeah, i knew all that, but i've never heard anyone really name too many bands that match the sound. i understand the idea of the genre, but i haven't heard a lot of bands that really match the sound.

    i'll listen to Merzbow though. heard the name but never listened to them.
    Well Merzbow is pretty much the only one I know barring the several ones mentionied in this documentary. Though that one only goes through Portland Noise. I think a lot of the style is kind of hard to find and listen to. Of course I'm not really looking too hard. I appreciate noise, but not enough to put it on my ipod or something. Not anything I'd like to walk around town to.
    ~ Love ~
    Peace.
    Music.
    Sappy poems.
    Science!

    The Green Heron

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Honestly? I'm not botehred to stoop to your level anymore. Even on the London Riots thread I was just sick of it, I just wanted to join somerthing where you wouldn't demean everything I say.
    I'm done arguing, so shut up.

    Not just that **** I'm pissed off at; everyone else as well, if you don't rise to it he'll learn not to do it. It's win-win, and we can then turn this thread into an actual rock thread like we all want instead of a flame war.

    @Skyler_99: MADINA LAKE. AWESOME BAND.
    Indeed. Lesson learnt lol.



    OT: Has any one checked out Alice Coopers new album yet? It was just out today IIRC. I may check it out when I get some money.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertStyx View Post
    Indeed. Lesson learnt lol.



    OT: Has any one checked out Alice Coopers new album yet? It was just out today IIRC. I may check it out when I get some money.
    Really? I might check that out, actually.
    ?

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois/Rhode Island
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I like your guitar style, and honestly you've got a pretty good voice. You need a bassist, though. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertStyx View Post


    Generally good musicianship there. You should probably look into some vocal lessons though, and hire a bassist.
    I was also a little disappointed to how closely you stuck to the original song. It confuses me, a lot musicians I know, rock and metal musicians particularly, try to copy the song exactly. If you're going to cover a song, cover it to put your own touch and interpretations on it, not emulate it. If it's going to be emulated, I'm going to listen to the original song.
    I have a bassist, he just couldn't be there for that recording. And obviously, some people like my voice, some people don't. It's an acquired voice so I've been told.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Tyrant View Post
    though this isn't really as much a debate as much as SC pushing stereotypes that haven't been valid since the 80's.
    Without being facetious, I really fail to clock how this can be the case. The points I was arguing on were based on Punk's founding principles. If these have changed (or such criticisms are no longer valid), then surely Punk as it is now is worthless? If I was talking about minutiae of the punk genre then this point would be valid, but you can't just duck out of an argument on something as important as founding principles by saying these criticisms aren't valid. If they're no longer valid then Punk no longer exists.

    Oh, and as a final coda to Priceless. If you wanted to ignore me, why did you ask me to write my issues with Punk in the thread again only to "take the moral high ground" and not answer them? You actively encouraged me to do what seems to piss you off so much. That is all I shall say on the matter.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 17th September 2011 at 12:21 PM.

  14. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Without being facetious, I really fail to clock how this can be the case. The points I was arguing on were based on Punk's founding principles. If these have changed (or such criticisms are no longer valid), then surely Punk as it is now is worthless? If I was talking about minutiae of the punk genre then this point would be valid, but you can't just duck out of an argument on something as important as founding principles by saying these criticisms aren't valid. If they're no longer valid then Punk no longer exists.
    you keep assuming genres have to stay the same, on the same exact founding principles throughout their entire run time, or else they change into new genres. this isn't true at all, and by assuming this you're just showing your own ignorance to the genre.

    let's take a look at Martyrdod, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEgWBnGn-aI

    i'll even make this easier. the lyrics are in Swedish, so we won't even go into that. there's a lot of melody here for punk, and it's extremely black metal influenced, right down to the vocal style. there's no hints of garage rock or even the Ramones in here, because even if these guys like and are influenced by the Ramones, they're more influenced by bands who were already influenced by the Ramones themselves.

    if we wanted to break it down into some kind of web format: Ramones -> Minor Threat -> Nausea (or whatever early crust punk band you want to throw in here) + black metal = Martryrdod. it does have clear roots in punk if you listen to the genre enough, and any punk fan will tell you that.

    and here's another example, if that's too noisy for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8lhTStlec (still pretty noisy, but whatever).

    again, this is more influenced by metal than punk, but it's still punk. it combines part of the punk mentality (simple, short songs that are fast and messy as possible) with metal riffs and some drumming that sounds like something out of a Discharge record. and the lyrics are about the goddamn LORD OF THE RINGS.

    and here on the opposite end, influenced by anything BUT metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syCMHtNUlLE

    this is ska punk. it combines punk songwriting with horn instruments and an acoustic guitar.

    do you get it yet? genres aren't just based on what they were when they first formed. they have a web of influences, some bands keeping that original influence alive more than others. if you can't accept this, then don't criticize a genre, because you don't ****ing understand it. it's not as simple as "I don't like the Ramones" or "I don't like The Adicts" or "I don't like the Stooges". because that's not the only thing punk is anymore. end of.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Tyrant View Post
    you keep assuming genres have to stay the same, on the same exact founding principles
    Well they obviously do, because if something deviates from its founding principles then its no longer what is originally was. I don't really think those examples do however. I think punk's original qualms were with the zeppelins and floyds of this world, not the still at that point rather small and infantile metal and ska scenes. That said, I still found all three pretty lacklustre.

    Maybe you can argue the musicianship is less important than the message/lyrics (indeed you strike me as one who would) but I've already explained my problems with the nihilism that a lot of punk seems to have. To be a punk is to hold onto Punk's founding principles, be they musical or practical.

    Having roots in punk does not necessarily a punk band make though. West coast hip-hop has funk influences, but it's not funk. East coast hip-hop has strong jazz influences, yet it's not Jazz.

    Regardless of what instruments are used, you can still feel the garage rock influences in all of those songs. It's not garage rock though.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 17th September 2011 at 8:27 PM.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Hey Chaotic, Sno, could you take your discussion private please. This is for discussing what rock songs/bands you like to listen to, not to debate definitive genre.

    I'm a Classics man myself, So if it's Doors, Zepplin, Meatloaf, Alice Cooper, I probably love it. I also grew up on Foreigner, Styx & Journey! Love em all.

    So true!

  17. #117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Well they obviously do, because if something deviates from its founding principles then its no longer what is originally was.
    nope. this isn't even a ****ing opinion. genres change all the time.

    and i don't think i ever called any of those bands that similar to the original punk sound... that's the point. punk isn't just a single sound anymore.
    I don't really think those examples do however. I think punk's original qualms were with the zeppelins and floyds of this world, not the still at that point rather small and infantile metal and ska scenes. That said, I still found all three pretty lacklustre.
    "original."

    and really i didn't expect you to enjoy them, it was about showing off how different punk is these days.
    Maybe you can argue the musicianship is less important than the message/lyrics (indeed you strike me as one who would) but I've already explained my problems with the nihilism that a lot of punk seems to have. To be a punk is to hold onto Punk's founding principles, be they musical or practical.
    i don't really give a **** about the lyrics, so no, i'm not one who would say that. honestly i'm not such a huge fan of original punk scene anyway.

    but the musicianship in punk ISN'T important. if you look at that Repulsion song, they aren't and weren't good at their instruments. but that gives it character, that feeling of a bunch of drunk guys getting together and playing as fast and heavy as they can and just letting loose. i don't expect everyone to enjoy or even really understand how anyone else could enjoy that though.
    Having roots in punk does not necessarily a punk band make though. West coast hip-hop has funk influences, but it's not funk. East coast hip-hop has strong jazz influences, yet it's not Jazz.
    obviously? but anyone who's a fan of punk would say Martryrdod is punk (some people argue about whether Repulsion is metal or punk but who cares), same with Catch 22. it's not the original punk rock, but that's why people call it crust punk.
    Regardless of what instruments are used, you can still feel the garage rock influences in all of those songs. It's not garage rock though.
    where the ****ing hell do you garage rock in any of those? i could almost understand Catch 22, but hearing garage punk in Martyrdod? the ****?
    edit:
    Hey Chaotic, Sno, could you take your discussion private please. This is for discussing what rock songs/bands you like to listen to, not to debate definitive genre.
    i already typed up this pust so i'm going to post it here.
    but.
    there's no discussion really in a bunch of people saying "hey i like this" and "hey so do i". there's nothing wrong with a bit of debate.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    No theirs not. You are right, however it is more of a "Hey Genesis was a cool rock band and so was Rush, type of thread, and I think you two may be scaring away people who just wanna shout out likes and dislikes.

    So true!

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Tyrant View Post
    nope. this isn't even a ****ing opinion. genres change all the time.
    Yet its founding principles can't. To lose those is to lose everything. If a justice system ever gives up the notion of "innocent until proven guilty" it is forever flawed and ethically bankrupt. You can't just dismiss the importance of founding principles. To betray those is to betray the genre.

    and i don't think i ever called any of those bands that similar to the original punk sound... that's the point. punk isn't just a single sound anymore.
    I wasn't implying they were. I don't think they deviate too far from it though. I don't think original Punks would listen to that and deem it unpunkworthy if you understand what I mean.

    and really i didn't expect you to enjoy them, it was about showing off how different punk is these days.
    Fair enough. The lacklustre point served no purpose too, so apologies on that front.

    i don't really give a **** about the lyrics, so no, i'm not one who would say that. honestly i'm not such a huge fan of original punk scene anyway.
    Sorry that's a misquote on my part. I meant to say that you value musicianship over lyrics.

    but the musicianship in punk ISN'T important.
    Come on now that is just a silly argument. Music and/or lyrics are always important. To just dismiss them is ridiculous. It's arguments like this that make me despair of punk.

    if you look at that Repulsion song, they aren't and weren't good at their instruments. but that gives it character, that feeling of a bunch of drunk guys getting together and playing as fast and heavy as they can and just letting loose.
    Minus the fast and heavy you could still be talking about garage rock. EDIT. I mean to say minus the "as they can".


    obviously? but anyone who's a fan of punk would say Martryrdod is punk (some people argue about whether Repulsion is metal or punk but who cares), same with Catch 22. it's not the original punk rock, but that's why people call it crust punk.
    My point was that just because something is called punk doesn't make it punk. Just because something has punk influences doesn't make it punk.

    where the ****ing hell do you garage rock in any of those? i could almost understand Catch 22, but hearing garage punk in Martyrdod? the ****?
    Look at my previous point where I reference Garage Rock.

    Just say if you want to take this to VM btw.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 17th September 2011 at 9:04 PM.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    257

    Default

    I for one like ScubaSteve and his band keep making teh musics and also Alice Coopers new cd is pretty dang awesome



    Credit for banner to Magnum Thunderforge Graphics

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,786

    Default

    Rise Against and Billy Talent are amazing.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois/Rhode Island
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nephos View Post
    I for one like ScubaSteve and his band keep making teh musics and also Alice Coopers new cd is pretty dang awesome
    Thanks Nephos! And to whoever said something about the fact that if I want to cover a song, I should completely change it, you've never been in a band, have you?

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Alice Coopers new CD wasn't awful or anything, better than I thought it would be, lol.

    I like Scubasteve's band there, lol.

    I pretty much hate female vocalists, so I won't publicly put my voice to use ever, though I wish I could find some talented people around here for a band.

    Also, that debate back there is really annoying and pointless. Telling someone they're wrong in their categorizing is one thing, but going on a flaming off-the-wall rant about what everyone is saying is a little much, and although this IS a rock discussion, it doesn't mean we have to argue about these stupid things. It isn't a debate, because in debates, you have respect for the other sides opinion, you consider it, you commonly don't throw many insults, and you could be mature enough to agree that although you think the other person is wrong, that it honestly does NOT matter in the long run, and that we can all move on from it.

    So anyway, I'm bad at the categorizing thing. Attack Attack! and Escape the Fate, we think we? I saw Attack Attack! live, and because they can't scream/growl/whatever as well, they sounded more rock, but they were really REALLY fun people, lol.
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emogirl View Post
    So anyway, I'm bad at the categorizing thing. Attack Attack! and Escape the Fate, we think we? I saw Attack Attack! live, and because they can't scream/growl/whatever as well, they sounded more rock, but they were really REALLY fun people, lol.
    This should go in the metalcore/nu metal thread

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost in Thought...
    Posts
    620

    Default

    That's what I thought, but they said no. Kind of.

    So I kind of loiter around here, see which bands to talk about where, and yeah. I resort to my previous bands then. >.>
    The edit button is always your friend.
    Hipsters, I tell ya.
    If I don't know who you are, don't be offended, but I can't keep up with all of these username changes.
    My Biggest Pet Peeve On Here: vming me and your profile is private! Pretty impossible to vm back, just so you are aware.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •