View Poll Results: Favorite Book/Series?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Hunger Games(my personal favorite)

14 25.45%
  • Harry Potter

19 34.55%
  • Percy Jackson

22 40.00%
  • Cirque De Freak

3 5.45%
  • The Clique

0 0%
  • The Babysitters Club

0 0%
  • The Warriors/Seekers

5 9.09%
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid

8 14.55%
  • Big Nate

2 3.64%
  • Misc.

25 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: The SPPf Book Club (NO it is NOT for nerds and girls)

Can I join
    Name: DarkLightDuo
    Favorite book: Diary of a wimpy kid, hunger games, any Percy Jackson books, Daniel X
    Why do I want to join: I love books

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRaikou View Post
    The Mark of Athena
    That's like, one more year.
    Aaaand I still haven't got The Son of Neptune... yet. I guess they still haven't sorted the packages yet, or whatever, since I'm living in a college dorm and they assign a mailbox for each of us... My book should be somewhere in the post office. XD Hopefully I'll get it before this weekend though. Then again, now is quite a busy moment so I'm kind of glad I still haven't got the package, or I'll be abandoning all my work. XP

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Feraligatr View Post
    EDIT: I may as well add my own book (ad in my sig), despite how self-conceited it feels to me. I've spent nearly two years on this first draft alone. It'll be a great relief when part one is published and it'll make me smile (a rarity) to see my own name on the cover of a book.
    When do you plan on publishing part one? =D

Originally Posted by arceus03
    When do you plan on publishing part one? =D
    Not any time soon. I still have to finish the first draft, and I have massive changes and edits planned for future drafts. When I do finally finish, I have the choice of traditional publishing or self publishing. With traditional, I get a wider market, I'm assigned an editor, I need an agent, and I don't have to pay any money until after it's on shelves. If I go with self, I need at least $1000 (that's the cheapest package, the package I would aim for at West Bow Publishing is $4000), I wouldn't get as much publicity, and I'm in total control. Both have their pros and cons. I'll probably go with traditional, seeing as my money is slipping through my fingers quicker than water and I have no source of steady income. I did post the first five or so chapter at LucasForums. I provided a link in my first or second post in the club. I also managed to post up to chapter 13 here, but you'll have to go digging through threads I started; it's been deleted from the fan-fic sections. But I can assure you that the entire first draft will be online at either LucasForums or WritingForums. So basically, it's done when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerS View Post
    Diary of a wimpy kid 5
    You mean 6?
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

My brother finally finished The Red Pyramid, and now I'm reading it. I've been reading it for the past thirty minutes, and I'm on chapter six. Very interesting. It's started a lot like The Lightning Thief, making you ask a lot of questions before they're answered. I look forward to finishing it, alongside The Throne of Fire, and the final Kane book when it comes out next spring.

So basically, it's done when it's done.
    Ah, I see. What is the story about?

My brother finally finished The Red Pyramid, and now I'm reading it. I've been reading it for the past thirty minutes, and I'm on chapter six. Very interesting. It's started a lot like The Lightning Thief, making you ask a lot of questions before they're answered. I look forward to finishing it, alongside The Throne of Fire, and the final Kane book when it comes out next spring.
    Cooooooool. XD I kinda like the way how Riordan does that, in a sense. For one, it makes rereading the book has much more sense in it. He raises a lot of questions, and those are solved at the end of the book, but you only remember certain parts of those questions, notably the important ones. But when you reread the book and you notice all the weird dialogues they have, then only you notice the smaller details.... If you get what I mean. XD I might try reading the series during my winter break... Eh.

On another note, I got The Son of Neptune. It arrived Tuesday, I think, but I only picked it up today. Since I have no classes tomorrow, I'm looking forward to really enjoying this weekend. And it's a hardcover book. I'm pretty sure I ordered a paperback one, but hey, no complaints. And the cost was only $11~, so I'm pretty hyper now. XD

Oh anyway.

Have you ever read a nonfiction book, just for leisure?
    Textbooks don't count. I have, a few. I forgot how long ago that was though. I think it's based on myths like Atlantic and the Aztec... And whatnot. the last nonfiction book I read was The Lady in The Tower, if I'm not mistaken. It's a story about the final days of Anne Boleyn. Even then, I only read that because I was supposed to do a nonfiction book review. XD

Quote Originally Posted by arceus03 View Post

Cooooooool. XD I kinda like the way how Riordan does that, in a sense. For one, it makes rereading the book has much more sense in it. He raises a lot of questions, and those are solved at the end of the book, but you only remember certain parts of those questions, notably the important ones. But when you reread the book and you notice all the weird dialogues they have, then only you notice the smaller details.... If you get what I mean. XD I might try reading the series during my winter break... Eh.

On another note, I got The Son of Neptune. It arrived Tuesday, I think, but I only picked it up today. Since I have no classes tomorrow, I'm looking forward to really enjoying this weekend. And it's a hardcover book. I'm pretty sure I ordered a paperback one, but hey, no complaints. And the cost was only $11~, so I'm pretty hyper now. XD

Oh anyway.

Textbooks don't count. I have, a few. I forgot how long ago that was though. I think it's based on myths like Atlantic and the Aztec... And whatnot. the last nonfiction book I read was The Lady in The Tower, if I'm not mistaken. It's a story about the final days of Anne Boleyn. Even then, I only read that because I was supposed to do a nonfiction book review. XD
    Yes. All the time.

And on a side note. I got ripped of with my copy of the Son of Neptune. There's an entire section upside down and out of order.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Originally Posted by arceus03
    The gist of it is finding faith and hope in a world that has none whatsoever. I can't really tell much else without spoiling anything. But I can tell that the story revolves around Demos Colonomos, Thais Xylander, Galen Kokinos, and Ebony Agapenas (Clarus in the first draft, something I changed for pattern consistency). Here's the first half of the first draft, unedited. If it doesn't show, here's the first five chapters, also unedited.

Good luck with that, Darth. You have this future novelist's support.

Sometimes I like to glance through my old almanac from a couple of years ago just because some of the statistics interest me. I've got this curious attraction to stats of any sort.
    ~Fact of the Whenever~
    Life gives you lemons because a large portion of humanity wasn't thankful for the grapes it already had. Please treat all fruit with respect.

Once in a while, when I find a topic I'm interested in.
    I have claimed Taillow! Fear me!

Quote Originally Posted by razorrozar7
    Jesus said, "Love thy neighbor." He didn't say, "Love thy neighbor as long as they are straight, white, Christian, morally responsible individuals."

Sorry for the inactivity guys

Quote Originally Posted by littlea53 View Post
    I'd like to join because I am awesome!
    Username: Littlea53
    Favorite Book/Series: World War Z
    Why you want to join: Books are one of my few passions in life. I just love to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLightDuo View Post
    Can I join
    Name: DarkLightDuo
    Favorite book: Diary of a wimpy kid, hunger games, any Percy Jackson books, Daniel X
    Why do I want to join: I love books
    Welcome both

Cold club?

Well, I'm halfway through The Son of Neptune. Not exactly halfway, but eh. I want to both finish it as fast and as slow as possible. Fast because I want to know what would happen. Slow because the next book is not coming for another year. XD And I'm liking it so far. I like how the Roman system differs from the Greek. They even have colleges on camp. And Nico. :3

Quote Originally Posted by arceus03 View Post
    Cold club?

Well, I'm halfway through The Son of Neptune. Not exactly halfway, but eh. I want to both finish it as fast and as slow as possible. Fast because I want to know what would happen. Slow because the next book is not coming for another year. XD And I'm liking it so far. I like how the Roman system differs from the Greek. They even have colleges on camp. And Nico. :3
    Im convinced son of neptune is in my house, and l think l saw it my rents said if l get a good report card l get it, so w00t

Quote Originally Posted by chellochello View Post
    Im convinced son of neptune is in my house, and l think l saw it my rents said if l get a good report card l get it, so w00t
    Cool. Strive for it. XD I assure you it's worth the effort. Ahaha.

i know im a bit late, but i just finished percy jackson and the lighting thief yesterday. i thought it was a really good book. i just borrowed the sea of monsters today. hopefully thats good as well. i like the bit when percys mum turns gabe to stone at the end of the book.

I just finished The Red Pyramid. Fantastic story. I"ll post up the archive form for it tomorrow/later.

Originally Posted by floatzel98
    i know im a bit late, but i just finished percy jackson and the lighting thief yesterday. i thought it was a really good book. i just borrowed the sea of monsters today. hopefully thats good as well. i like the bit when percys mum turns gabe to stone at the end of the book.
    Personally, I think The Sea of Monsters was good, but not the best book in the series. Hope you enjoy it.

EDIT
    USERNAME: Darth_Feraligatr
    BOOK TITLE: The Red Pyramid
    AUTHOR: Rick Riordan
    AR POINTS: N/A
    SUMMARY: Siblings Carter and Sadie embark on a perilous adventure that was set in motion by their parents six years prior to the book's start. After a fateful night in the British Museum, their father, Julius, awoke the Egyptian gods from their slumber. Set, the god of storms, chaos, and the desert, kidnaps Julius, and plots to destroy the world with a single, mighty storm. Carter and Sadie, with the assistance of Bast the cat goddess and several other people and deities, must rescue their father, find Osiris, reestablish order, and evade the House of Life (which hunts them down like animals for a bizarre reason). Along the way, they discover that Set is not the greatest threat to the universe...
    PAGES: 516
    Last edited by Dread Advocate; 18th October 2011 at 6:54 AM.

Username: XatuGamer
    Book Title: All your Base are Belong to Us
    Author: Harold Goldberg
    How many AR points?: N/A
    Summary of book(nothing long, just why you liked it): It was very detailed, and I is one of the only non-fiction books I have ever enjoyed reading. It is about the complete history of video games.
    Page #(if you remember): N/A

Username: Minteh
    Favorite Book/Series: My favourite book (currently) is 'Dark visions' by L.J. Smith. My favourite series is The Vampire diaries or Warriors (although I'm probably too old for warriors anymore Erin Hunter always draws me back with her incredible writing skills) .
    Why you want to join: I love reading and well I wish to discuss books with other book lovers!

damn my library sucks, they have only one copy of any book i want to read and whenever i go to borrow it some else has it -_-

anyway, anyone have anything they want to discuss?

How about a new topic then?

Do you listen to music when you read? If so, what kind?
    Yes. But I don't listen to the music I normally listen to (various forms of Christian rock and metal) whilst reading, as the lyrics would get jumbled up in the text. Instead, I'll listen to video game and film soundtracks (as well as one TV show: Avatar).

Not usually, but I do sometimes. I usually listen to whatever I'm into at the time, which is usually metal.
    I have claimed Taillow! Fear me!

Quote Originally Posted by razorrozar7
    Jesus said, "Love thy neighbor." He didn't say, "Love thy neighbor as long as they are straight, white, Christian, morally responsible individuals."

Rarely so. I can never concentrate if I do that. Especially with articles that I have to read (for writing class, for example). Heck, when I'm reading articles for my writing class, even if I don't listen to music, it keeps playing inside my head. Then I can't concentrate. XD

Books, that is. For discussion on forums or email, I usually listen to my playlist on my PC. If I found an article over the net, I'd stop the music.

On another note, I'm nearly finished with The Son of Neptune. :3 It's kinda a long wait until the next fall for The Mark of Athena, but in the meantime I might start on The Kane Chronicles.

Sometimes but I prefer not to. I usually listen to very theraputic music.

How about a new topic then?

Yes. But I don't listen to the music I normally listen to (various forms of Christian rock and metal) whilst reading, as the lyrics would get jumbled up in the text. Instead, I'll listen to video game and film soundtracks (as well as one TV show: Avatar).
    Same here, but I don't have the lyrics problem, but I just prefer music without lyrics.

Credits to Lapin (Extroph edition)

no, i can't concentrate if i listen to music and read

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast