Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Hybrid View

Ask a question about competitive Pokemon here; be it what Pokemon would fit well on the last slot of my team, what is the best way to counter Lucario, what is the most effective EV spread for my Wacan Berry Gyarados, etc. If you have an actual set for a Pokemon that you want feedback on, use the Comptitive Singles Rate Thread. Don't flame/insult someone if you think it is a silly question. Have fun and ask away!

We need to know what Pokemon you have at your disposal in your FireRed.

Anyway, Salamence makes a fairly good attacking lead in 3rd gen.

Edit: Ranked up!

The pokemon I have at my disposal is anyone you can catch in FireRed basically. Does Dragonite make a good lead?

EDIT: What about Jolteon?

Default Partners for Recoil-Zard (3rd gen)

*This is a 3rd gen question, NOT 4th*

Well... let's say I wanted to use Charizard in my team... I've been testing several teams in theory and I don't seem to find out what partners he really wants.
    As a main sweeper I'm going to use Zard with a set I found in Smogon site and that I found really interesting, wich is the following:

Charizard @ Salac Berry
    Blaze; Naughty; EVs: 252 Atk, 120 SpA, 136 Spe
    Belly Drum
    Earthquake
    Double-Edge
    Fire Blast

It's a very straightforward Zard, switching in or even leading (with luck), open with Drum, they switch to a bulky water which gets OHKOd by Double-Edge (except Suicune, by little), getting me to activate Salac-Blaze and proceed to sweeping with EQ and FB.

I'm inclined to partner him with this Jolteon:
    Jolteon @ Leftovers
    Volt Absorb; Timid; EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power (Grass)
    Substitute
    Baton Pass

Why partner him with this Jolteon? Jolteon switches to frighten a switch-out to set a Sub and lure an Earthquake wich Zard happily switches in to, getting a free turn to set his Drum.

Apart from that, I don't really know what strategy they could have behind... maybe Skarm-Bliss? I don't really know.

Note: Feel free to suggest any pokemon you want except the ones that can only be obtained through events.
    Note2: I'll also use this Zard in a contest I have with a friend in which I can't use anything that isn't in FireRed game so I won't have access to some supports but mainly, I won't have Salac Berry and then TWave support can come in handy.

Thank you...
    Last edited by Johny Cid; 12th September 2011 at 12:06 PM.

If your going to rock out a Charizard than you should worry about Stealth Rocks. SR is the main reason Charizard is not OU(In my opinion) It takes serious damage that does not go well with a Belly drum set.

So I would suggest a spinner in your team like Donphan or Hitmontop. Donphan might be a good choice for the switch in (Besides an attack from water of course) and be able to take out the rocks easily.

Donphan@Leftovers
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    Adamant
    Sturdy
    -Rapid Spin
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    Ice shard/Roar

This set can help out Your Charizard vary well with getting rid of rocks and most likey causing whatever was taking on your Charizard to switch out.

Another option is Gastrodon for the amazing switch in and it can handle just about anything they would want to take down your Charizard with.

And Jolteon is a good choice, vary strong,fast and if you can pull off a Sub into Charizard than I feel bad for your opponent

And I another suggestion could be in stead of Fire Blast maybe going Fire Punch. With the Blaze and a Belly Drum raise Fire Punch could give them hell, and you dont need to take the chance with accuracy. If you missed with a fire Blast than that could back fire your whole set up. Just a suggestion.
    (If you have a Charizard that you think is the best, talk to me, Im a Charizard breeder, so id love to find out more about other peoples ideas on how to use one efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard tamer(Red) View Post
    If your going to rock out a Charizard than you should worry about Stealth Rocks. SR is the main reason Charizard is not OU(In my opinion) It takes serious damage that does not go well with a Belly drum set.

So I would suggest a spinner in your team like Donphan or Hitmontop. Donphan might be a good choice for the switch in (Besides an attack from water of course) and be able to take out the rocks easily.

Donphan@Leftovers
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    Adamant
    Sturdy
    -Rapid Spin
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    Ice shard/Roar

This set can help out Your Charizard vary well with getting rid of rocks and most likey causing whatever was taking on your Charizard to switch out.

Another option is Gastrodon for the amazing switch in and it can handle just about anything they would want to take down your Charizard with.

And Jolteon is a good choice, vary strong,fast and if you can pull off a Sub into Charizard than I feel bad for your opponent

And I another suggestion could be in stead of Fire Blast maybe going Fire Punch. With the Blaze and a Belly Drum raise Fire Punch could give them hell, and you dont need to take the chance with accuracy. If you missed with a fire Blast than that could back fire your whole set up. Just a suggestion.
    This is a 3RD GEN TEAM, NOT A 4TH GEN TEAM. Stealth Rock does not exist yet.

@Tamer - I appreciate the feedback, really, but this is a 3rd gen team... zard rocks without RS support since he's immune to Spikes.

But I actually pulled out a team that I find it's good and I'll post it in RMT... Be sure to give me your feedback there ;-)

Default Putting together a competivite team.

Bare with me, as i'm new to the forums and to the competitive circuit, but i'm really hoping to set up a competitive style team to test on friends and such. My team is incomplete so i didn't want to post it in RMT until i had all the details ironed out. G/S/C were my favorites through the pokemon series and i'm currently playing HG, but i have access to Diamond, R/S, LG/FR as well. I dont want to get too in depth into EV's just yet, for i will worry about them after i get the full team picked out.

^^^^TL;DR: Trying to pick a solid team to mess around with and possibly go competitive with. Playing HG, Access to D, R/S, LG/FR.

I'm currently running 3 OU's and i want to eliminate at least 1. I've got Salamence(Intimidate), Dragonite(Inner Focus), and Tyranitar(Sand Stream). I want to see what you guys have to say debating these 3 very strong OU's

Then i'm rolling in with Garchomp(Sand Veil), Gallade(Steadfast), Then my final slot is open to suggestions. I really like having Gallade in the mix for the STAB Close Combat to counter most Ice types i run into that will counter Dragon's very easily. Only thing i worry about with him is Weavile who can pop out a hard counter STAB Night Slash and more than likely 1 shot him. Then i feel if you're going to have any dragons on your team, Garchomp is a solid choice, for he outclasses many OU tier with his overall offensiveness, especially when trained well.

Most of the movesets are pretty standard ones i made with a mix of Smogon and Serebii guides, minus Sal having Draco Meteor instead of Outrage, still farming the BP for it =/ And Garchomp with Dragon Claw and Outrage(shame on me for having 2 STAB moves), but Dragon Claw will soon be replaced with Stone Edge.

If you want to know more, just ask and i'll post natures, EV's ect, althought i'm not proud of some of the natures as i just recently began to EV train.

Again, sorry if this isnt where this should be placed, wasn't quite sure where to put it, being that my team is in complete.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=509877
    Should help you with most of your basic questions.

I have claimed Giratina

If I have a male Jolteon with Thundershock and breed it with a female Jolteon with Thundershock, will the newly hatched Eevee have Thundershock? I suppose not but asking doesn't hurt...

Nope, it won't. If you evolve Eevee before it passes level 15 it learns it naturally though.

Hey there reposting this C&P is a wonderful thing when you save the coding as well seeing as I was in error to post in rate my team, I have some pokemon that I have just caught and I wanted to know if they are okay. This is for Soul Silver btw.

Red is the stronger stat
    Blue is the weaker stat
    Btw it shows these colours in-game

Tentacool

Nature: Naive

IV Stats
    HP: 9
    Attack: 3
    Defence: 26
    Sp. Atk: 22
    Sp. Def: 18
    Speed: 12

Should I keep him and train his Defence and Special attack and speed? I know he has a better Sp. Def. however I wanted to get your guys opinions on whether or not he is good or not.

Mareep

Nature: Gentle

IV Stats
    HP: 23
    Attack: 16
    Defence: 1
    Sp. Atk: 21
    Sp. Def: 11
    Speed: 17

Mareep, has a good IV for Sp Attack and a good Sp Defense. I was thinking of boosting its health as well. I know I could have gotten better numbers for its IV like 31 however I am not going all out to have the perfect pokemon.

Then I have my starter, with probably the best stats so far,

Bayleef

Nature: Modest

IV Stats
    HP: 19
    Attack: 8
    Defence: 13
    Sp. Atk: 27
    Sp. Def: 16
    Speed: 21

I don't know about you guys but I think it has pretty good stats for a beginning Pokémon. I think it is obvious what I'm going to raise for this one. I already spent a few hours training out its Sp. attack. I'll post its stats when I reach level 50 if you want to know what they are when they reach that level.

Not sure what moves to give them really, move suggestions would be nice.

Rating my team means to me thoughts, constructive criticisms and feedback! Would very much be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Tyewatson

I have a question.
    I have Platinum and I want to start with EV-Train for the first time, but there is something I want to know. Let's say you have a Gyarados and you have reached the max amount of EV's (510), but you are not at level 100 yet, and you battle a machop (machop gives 1 EV in Attack), what do you get? The Experience?
    Sorry for my bad English, I'm just a boy from Holland.
    Last edited by dancingpaco; 12th January 2012 at 5:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dancingpaco View Post
    I have a question.
    I have Platinum and I want to start with EV-Train for the first time, but there is something I want to know. Let's say you have a Gyarados and you have reached the max amount of EV's (510), but you are not at level 100 yet, and you battle a machop (machop gives 1 EV in Attack), do you still get the experience?
    Sorry for my bad English, I'm just a boy from Holland.
    yes, EXP have nothing to do with EVs specially in gen 5.

But I won't get the EV? Thanks Ilan btw.

Quote Originally Posted by dancingpaco View Post
    But I won't get the EV? Thanks Ilan btw.
    Nope, after you got your 510 evs you won't get more of them anymore.

Super, thanks

Awesome, thanks man!

Anyone have any ideas for a Aggron set with a sassy nature for a 4th gen team?
    Last edited by ThisIsPatrick; 20th February 2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the icon and SwornMetalhead for the banner.

He doesn't have a good SpD stat so a boost in it won't make to much difference. Adamant or Jolly are always the best options for it.

I hope i posted this in the right place.

I have a queston about tiers on the Pokemon Online simulator. These are the Pokemon I have in my team.

Machamp, Xatu, Tyranitar, Swampert, Magmortar, Steelix. What Wifi xx is this?

Also I have this team as well.

Infernape, Scizor, Absol, Kyurem, Minun and Plusle (For the helping hand attack)

What Wifi xx are these? And could anyone give me some advice on what attacks are good?

28th June is the international CAPS lock day!
    We have just opened our new, fast, GFX friendly forum. Please come and join in the fun at the PokeVillage.
    First 50 get a special gift.
    *Moderator Vacancies*

^ Night Fighter

Hi, I am EV training my first Pokemon, and I was wondering if it makes a big difference if I make little mistakes, let's say I forget to count one EV point, or I write one two times... You know, if I lose the count. Is the difference really big? Because I don'T have any power item yet, and killing 252 Magikarp takes long
    Fa11ingstar

Can breed:

and others, just ask me...
    Make your offers!

Hi, I am EV training my first Pokemon, and I was wondering if it makes a big difference if I make little mistakes, let's say I forget to count one EV point, or I write one two times... You know, if I lose the count. Is the difference really big? Because I don'T have any power item yet, and killing 252 Magikarp takes long
    Try to avoid getting too little in speed on an offensive pokemon, and little mistakes won't have too much of an impact. Each four EVs are worth a mere point in each stat.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

So, I just got a eevee from bill that is adamant/ somewhat vain (I'm evolving it into an umbreon) I need an opinion on its IV spread. 30/30/9-19/20/31/19-29. the lack of def is a major let down... I was wondering if I should keep it and EV its def... or should I just SR? this crud is frustrating.
    Last edited by cobaltlion69; 25th April 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    So I EV trained my Snorlax: 252 Defense, 252 HP, and 6 Special Defense. Does it matter now how I train it? Can I just give it an Exp. share and battle the Elite 4 until it's strong enough to battle on its own, or will that mess up its stats?
    If it is already fully EV trained, baateling normaly wont affect it

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltlion69 View Post
    So, I just got a eevee from bill that is adamant/ somewhat vain (I'm evolving it into an umbreon) I need an opinion on its IV spread. 30/30/9-19/20/31/19-29. the lack of def is a major let down... I was wondering if I should keep it and EV its def... or should I just SR? this crud is frustrating.
    It will only effect max of 22 points in Def, or a Min of 12. So it wont make a big diffrence. That is why i dont IV breed (exept for HPs)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast