Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Enter Elesa, Electrifying Gym Leader! (710

At least Bianca's dad was pretty awesome and his Darmanitan showed that type advantages don't rule the anime in regards to one-shot characters.
    But seriously, where's Luke? Him and Bianca were shown leaving together by the end of the Don Battle arc, so I'm wondering if she made a mention of his whereabouts.

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Quote Originally Posted by hol123 View Post
    Well this episode was a piss off. Things done wrong:

- Bianca loses to Elesa
    - Elesa has an uber Zebstrika
    - Bianca's fate is in Ash's hands
    - Ash loses

Ridiculous.
    Don't forget the ridiculous amount of fanboy status from cilan!
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

I'm so upset that Oshawott lost against Darmanitan. He should've won that battle easily, but he lost even though he had the advantage. And I don't care that type advantages don't always work in favor of certain Pokemon: Oshawott has proven in the past that he's a good battler, and he should've won. I'm just so depressed, but at least there's a silver lining here. The way I see it, Oshawott's loss will make certain people realize that he's not ready to evolve yet. Oshawott's obviously powerful, but he isn't at "that level" yet. Anyway, I disliked Elesa and Bianca's battle, and I really didn't enjoy this episode as much as I thought I would.

I also shared Kira's disappointment in Mijumaru's loss.

However, as to be expected, Mijumaru lacks the raw power to overpower a seasoned powerhouse like Hihidaruma.

I hope Mijumaru's loss here leads to more, which leads to a moment of determination where he evolves.

I felt like Bel vs. Kamitsure could have been a little more developed but then again, they wanted to make a point of Bel's needs to train more and to establish Zeburaika is not a pushover.

I liked this episode but there were a few things that held it back. Bianca getting curbstomped so easily was disappointing since she got three badges before (most likely with a lot of work) but it's not too bad and it probably helps build her character more. I do wish that she was able to hold her own better against Elesa but the writers probably had relatively little time to work with. Stupid time constraints...

Oshawott losing was disappointing too but not that bad. I do wish that Ash and Bianca's dad's battle ended in a draw so that Bianca's dad would have better reason to call off the bet and let Ash and Bianca continue their journey. It's ignorable but it could've been better.

Also, I think that some on this thread are taking things the wrong way. Pokemon may be a kids show but does it have to teach life lessons and such? The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy was for kids but it's anything but educational unless you want to be educated on how life would be with the Grim Reaper and how to be incredibly stupid. Though I do see their point in a way since Pokemon sometimes tries to convey messages of some sorts.

Honestly, this episode was good but should've focused on Bianca trying to win her Gym battle (or drawing with Elesa at least) and then proving to her father that she's Trainer material. The battle between her father and Ash could've been excluded or just improved, if you ask me. So this episode wasn't god awful, just good but lacking.

You know, the writers for Pokemon have always been hit or miss so really why are we expecting so much from them?
    Last edited by matt0044; 23rd September 2011 at 1:26 AM.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

I thought it was pretty obvious that Bianca's Shelmet and Minccino would lose to Elesa's Zebstrika, but Pignite certainly put up a great effort against Zebstrika and seemingly had a good chance of beating it.

As for the gym itself, I like how they put a roller coaster ride in it, just like in the video games.

Considering the huge bet that Ash made with Bianca's father after Bianca lost her gym battle, as well as Oshawott's type advantage over Darmanitan, I really thought that Ash would win his battle. Even a draw would have been alright with me, but Oshawott's defeat was disappointing. Of course, I'm sure this result will encourage Oshawott to train harder and eventually evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonTrainerBigRed View Post
    Of course, I'm sure this result will encourage Oshawott to train harder and eventually evolve.
    We can only hope.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

So Bianca lost 3-0 to Elesa, huh? And Ash lost to Darmanitan? Wow.
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

The only thing I liked about this episode was Elesa, other than that there was nothing interesting.

Darmanitan being shown as a powerful pokemon was something that I wanted to see. Zen Mode should have been showcased better. I honestly didn't understand the purpose of showing it if they weren't going to do anything with it. When it comes to the outcome of the battle, I'm not annoyed by Oshawott's loss mostly because the whole "I'm going to get out of my pokeball and obligate my trainer to use me" annoys me.

I knew Elesa would have her image in magazines.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    I'm so upset that Oshawott lost against Darmanitan. He should've won that battle easily, but he lost even though he had the advantage. And I don't care that type advantages don't always work in favor of certain Pokemon: Oshawott has proven in the past that he's a good battler, and he should've won. I'm just so depressed, but at least there's a silver lining here. The way I see it, Oshawott's loss will make certain people realize that he's not ready to evolve yet. Oshawott's obviously powerful, but he isn't at "that level" yet. Anyway, I disliked Elesa and Bianca's battle, and I really didn't enjoy this episode as much as I thought I would.
    Even weak Pokemon evolve. Look at Pokemon like Gligar, it wasn't that strong, but it evolved and became stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Elekible-Kid View Post
    However, as to be expected, Mijumaru lacks the raw power to overpower a seasoned powerhouse like Hihidaruma.
    Darmanitan isn't that much of a powerhouse. Oshawott does not lack the power to beat it, they just wanted Oshawott to lose so that they can pull off the "We lost the battles, but we'll convince you in a couple of minutes through words, making the battles pointless."

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    The only thing I liked about this episode was Elesa, other than that there was nothing interesting.

Darmanitan being shown as a powerful pokemon was something that I wanted to see. Zen Mode should have been showcased better. I honestly didn't understand the purpose of showing it if they weren't going to do anything with it. When it comes to the outcome of the battle, I'm not annoyed by Oshawott's loss mostly because the whole "I'm going to get out of my pokeball and obligate my trainer to use me" annoys me.
    Again, Darmanitan isn't that strong and that's Oshawott's personality, so let it be. I'm sure he'll mature out of it at some point, especially if he evolves. And at least Oshawott shows initiative in battling showing that he wants to battle. The others are just in their pokeballs waiting for Ash to choose one of them and Ash probably would have choses Oshawott anyway, considering...

Bonnie: Hey, Clauncher, could you do me a favour and marry my brother?
    Clauncher: What? I can understand the old man's senility, but this is just annoying.

Bonnie: Come on, Dedenne! I want that Gym Badge!
    Clauncher: If only this wasn't a kids show.
    3DS FC: 1891 1376 6990. Add me. Wii U Nintendo Network ID: Playerking.

The problem with this episode is that it sent just the wrong kind of message - you can't do anything you want if you try hard enough, and people who tell you to give up are right. Portraying Bianca's father as the correct one here sent a message that was completely the opposite of the entire point of this series.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Did anybody notice Bianca's fourth pokeball at the pokemon center?? I guess that confirms that she is holding out on us. Also I got the feeling that Shelmet is a relatively new capture.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Oshawott battled great but Darmanitan was vastly experienced I think because it had Flare Blitz. but the battle between Ash and Elesa is bound to be promising...

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Did anybody notice Bianca's fourth pokeball at the pokemon center?? I guess that confirms that she is holding out on us. Also I got the feeling that Shelmet is a relatively new capture.
    I noticed that too.. but then later on at the table she was only holding three again, so i'm not sure what's going on..

Man I still can't help being annoyed about the battle between Ash and Bianca's dad.. I'm not a fan of Oshawott as many of you know, but even I hate that it got screwed over so badly by that Darmanitan. I mean, the freaking ape was already at low health upon leaving it's Pokeball, so how did it suddenly pull that power out of its ass?

..and Ash you lost, get back to Pallet!
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

Low health because it was in Zen mode? lol he activated normal mode right away, I doubt it was at low health it was an anime thing, just like Grei suggested months ago that a Darmanitan in the anime could come off in that mode right away...

When they are weak, they change for that mode and stay in that mode.

I just though it was stupid to make it Zen Mode and then only have fire attacks.

Calling it now Belle father is actually a new Frontier Brain that will appear in the 3rd game and Gamefreak told the writers already(jkg).

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    What was the 1st attack Shelmet used, does anybody know?.
    if you are referring to the purple liquid attack, thats acid.

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Did anybody notice Bianca's fourth pokeball at the pokemon center??
    i guess that's elesa pokemon. i think i heard something about zeburaika when she leave the gym. maybe the reason for her to leave the gym is to heal her pokemon at the pokemon center.

Quote Originally Posted by playerking View Post
    Again, Darmanitan isn't that strong and that's Oshawott's personality, so let it be. I'm sure he'll mature out of it at some point, especially if he evolves. And at least Oshawott shows initiative in battling showing that he wants to battle. The others are just in their pokeballs waiting for Ash to choose one of them and Ash probably would have choses Oshawott anyway, considering...
    It's not about letting it be. If an aspect of a character's personality annoys me I'm allowed to express it. This isn't a "Let's love Oshawott forum" I believe.

Default elesa

elesa seems to be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by playerking View Post

Darmanitan isn't that much of a powerhouse..................

........Again, Darmanitan isn't that strong.........
    What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    What makes you say that?
    It hits hard, but it can get OHKO'd easily.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Yet Tynamo gets 1KO'd easily, and doesn't hit hard. Darmanitan can easily be strong here. It's dumb to say Darmanitan can't be strong in the show.
    Last edited by BurningSociety12345543210; 24th September 2011 at 12:23 AM.

-Ash is finally going to go to the Nimbasa Gym! Horray!
    -I hear Bianca...and Ash is next to a fountain. You can guess what happens next.
    -Haha, they're fighting over who gets to challenge the gym first.
    -It's pretty amusing seeing Elesa in a relatively normal outfit...while she still has those weird wires in her hair.
    -And of course. Elesa's doing a fashion show now, so nobody gets a gym battle! But Bianca is more than happy to watch the show instead.
    -Yup, still weird to see Elesa's hair-wires juxtaposed with outfits other than her usual one.
    -And Elesa manages to hear Pikachu over the roar of the crowd. Woman's got damned good ears!
    -...and she can also jump really far...
    -Blah blah blah Bianca and Ash are getting their gym battle blah.
    -Elesa makes challengers ride a roller coaster through her gym for no reason? At least in the games there were gym trainers!
    -Ash is whining that Belle gets to battle first. What a kid.
    -And then a fat businessman appears! ...it's Bianca's papa!
    -Now he's trying to make Belle come back home. Bianca is...not pleased by this.
    -Bianca agrees to come home if she loses to Elesa, and the battle field is unveiled! Complete with screaming fangirls...including one redhead who's dressed up like Elesa!
    -Haha, even the referee is fashionable.
    -Round one: Zebstrika vs...Shelmet? I have a feeling things are gonna be rough for Bianca.
    -I was right.
    -Oh god, Bianca's dad looks so smug.
    -Next up is Minccino. But Zebstrika keeps dodging everything(including Swift!).
    -Now all Bianca has left is Pignite. Talk about an uphill battle.
    -...I just realized Elesa is kicking Bianca's *** without even using any Electric attacks. Poor Bianca is clearly outclassed.
    -Oh wait, Elesa has Zebstrika finish Pignite off with Wild Charge.
    -Bianca's dad continues to look smug about Bianca having to come home.
    -Back at the Pokemon Center...it's break time? I think it was already break time by the time everyone got here, Dento.
    -That's one hell of a lunch he whipped up...even if it's mostly salads and sandwiches.
    -Bianca still doesn't want to come home...and Iris convinces Ash to do something about it.
    -I'm sure this scene would mean a lot if I could understand a thing Bianca's dad was saying.
    -Ash challenges the dad to a battle. Bianca's dad says that Ash has to go back to Kanto if he loses(What a prick!).
    -Bianca's dad's battling outfit is...something else. It also looks oddly familiar to me for some reason. But more importantly, does he always wear that underneath his business clothes?
    -The dad sends out Darmatanian, and...Oshawott volunteers to battle. At least it makes sense this time.
    -It turns out that Bianca's dad is pretty good at battling. Which only makes him seem like more of a jerk for denying Bianca her Pokemon journey...
    -It's about time there was a heartwarming moment where Ash, Iris, and Dento reminisce about Bianca's time with them during their journey.
    -And then Ash loses. Iris handles this gracefully by blurting out "ASH HAS TO GO BACK TO PALETTE TOWN NOW?"
    -But of course, Bianca's dad had a change of heart after the battle and the heartwarming speeches and whatnot.
    -And Bianca runs off to the Desert Resort. Because...uh...because.
    -Also she forgot her bag.
    -Ash is finally getting his Gym battle! ...tomorrow.

A pretty solid episode, though "oh by the way Bianca's dad is a powerful trainer" thing pretty much came out of nowhere. It also make me wonder why he's so against Bianca traveling; sure, she's a ditz, but I doubt he got that good without doing a bit of traveling himself. You'd think he could see the value in a Pokemon journey before Bianca's friends gave him a sappy story about their time together.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Yet Tynamo gets 1KO'd easily, and doesn't hit hard. Darmanitan can easily be strong here.
    ...any basic Pokemon can be OHKO'd, that's a terrible example.

Bad trainers are bad. I'm amazed that there was such anger being directed that Bianca lost. She was never a good trainer in the game, why would you expect the anime to be any different?

Ash losing amuses me, though Flame Charge spam is rather annoying. WTB more strategy in battling.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast