Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 386

Thread: Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread: Check OP For News And Updates

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madden610 View Post
    Hey 2 questions regarding legality of pokemon and if they can pass Hack Check (I am not asking how to beat it/ get around it).

    1. If a pokemon you get from PokeGts, that is from a downloaded file on pokecheck, is it legal for use (aka pass hack check)?

    2. According to pokecheck one of my pokemon may have recieved (orange colored) hacked PokeRUs. Is it still usuable in the tournements (aka pass hack check) or do I need to get another?

    @ShaoWeh on previous page: To get to worlds you need to win nats, to get to nats you gotta win regionals. Good luck with that (Sarcasm)
    I'm not as stupid as you, bloody crap idiot... Every competitive battler knows the rules. I have more important things to do than play pokemon all day... unlike you I have something called a life... -_-
    Last edited by ShaoWeh; 29th December 2011 at 7:38 PM.
    Pokémon Black: Hilbert FC: 3268 0753 9102
    Pokémon White: Hilda FC: 0132 9560 8948
    Pokémon Black 2: Nate FC: 2538 1436 2477
    Pokémon Soul Silver: Ethan FC: 0648 3244 9999

    Pokemon X Friend Safari Fire: Growlithe, Fletchinder, Pyroar
    PM me for 3DS Friend Code

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madden610 View Post
    Give me a little bit and I should be able to prove how your wrong (my computer has been acting up a bit witch is why I can't acess half a dozen poke websites besides this and Smogon)
    Sorry, you're wrong. There will be no LCQ this year because Nationals is indeed open to any American citizen. How can you deny Pokemom's quote, which comes from the actual website itself? However, there is no evidence that 2013 will return to an invite only event, that is just speculation. This year is an "experimental" year for both TCG and VGC with several new changes, such as Open Nationals, Championship Points, different prizes (No more 3DS's from VGC Regionals / No more scholarships for TCG Regionals, Medals for VGC Regionals Top 4, winning byes from Regionals). Next year's format will be based off this year's results.
    Last edited by Cybertron; 29th December 2011 at 10:28 PM.
    2012 Wi-Fi International Challenge Champion
    2011 East Regional VGC Seniors Champion
    2011 US Nationals VGC Seniors Champion
    2012 US Nationals VGC Seniors Champion

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In the fields huntin shinies
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I have a question about how the tourneys role..
    1. Do the pokemon have to be lv 50 or can they be lv 100 and are just reduced back to 50 for the battle?
    2. If they have to be just lv 50.. how do EV's work in that case?
    My shiny pkmn vids and guide-->http://www.youtube.com/user/PkmnHu

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Saffron City
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnHu View Post
    I have a question about how the tourneys role..
    1. Do the pokemon have to be lv 50 or can they be lv 100 and are just reduced back to 50 for the battle?
    2. If they have to be just lv 50.. how do EV's work in that case?
    No, any Pokemon of a higher level then 50 is auto leveled to 50. Anything of a lower level stays that same level.

    As for EVs, it is a bit different since 4 EVs don't always equal 1 stat gain. I'm not too knowledgeable on this, but I do mess around with EVs and give specific points to maximize EV usage. But, when choosing EVs aside from the 252/252/4, I suggest playing around with it and lower it by 4 to see if the stat stays the same (if I am making any sense at all). But, this is a nicer explanation and actually has a formula.

    Quote Originally Posted by Madden610 View Post
    Um what? Pokecheck allows me to check if a pokemon is hacked.....And yeah I got someone at nintendo to trade over wifi and check to see if my pokemon would pass, and guess what? They do.
    As for this... from what I've heard Pokecheck sometimes gives you that special ribbon. Unless you know a way of not getting that ribbon (yes, there is a way), I suggest not even using it. But, you can't be guaranteed that the judges won't catch you. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Shreyas; 30th December 2011 at 7:08 PM.


    My FC: 2594-9889-0820



  5. #205
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    3DS Friend Code: 2363-6123-7178

    "It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death."
    — Major Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell


    Banner by: Skiyomi
    Chapters created so far: 9
    The link is in th picture. Enjoy!

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Ok time to start tackling things one by one.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaoWeh View Post
    I'm not as stupid as you, bloody crap idiot... Every competitive battler knows the rules. I have more important things to do than play pokemon all day... unlike you I have something called a life... -_-
    I too, actually, have a life. Pokemon is fine but I have no time for it going to one of the best high schools in the United States. Plus I have friends I hang out with constantly so true I do have a bit of a time shortage to do anything else but so what if I Squeeze pokemon into it?
    Edit: "Every competitive battler knows the rules" what the heck does that mean? I know all the rules if your refering to battling in the tournements and what is and is not allowed. If you are refering to the existance of LCQ that you should know that a bunch of sites (Mistakenly but still) listed LCQ being held. Plus I doubt you would do any good at nationals based off of how you are losing your cool over the internet (aka the most pathetic way to lose your cool) by insults.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertron View Post
    Sorry, you're wrong. There will be no LCQ this year because Nationals is indeed open to any American citizen. How can you deny Pokemom's quote, which comes from the actual website itself? However, there is no evidence that 2013 will return to an invite only event, that is just speculation. This year is an "experimental" year for both TCG and VGC with several new changes, such as Open Nationals, Championship Points, different prizes (No more 3DS's from VGC Regionals / No more scholarships for TCG Regionals, Medals for VGC Regionals Top 4, winning byes from Regionals). Next year's format will be based off this year's results.
    Yeah I admit I was wrong but I could have sworn that either on one of the Pokemon Websites it said something about LCQ....I'll double check but I am probably wrong. Oh well It's just easier to get into nationals then if I can just show up and compete.


    Quote Originally Posted by BlazikenGuy View Post
    No, any Pokemon of a higher level then 50 is auto leveled to 50. Anything of a lower level stays that same level.

    As for EVs, it is a bit different since 4 EVs don't always equal 1 stat gain. I'm not too knowledgeable on this, but I do mess around with EVs and give specific points to maximize EV usage. But, when choosing EVs aside from the 252/252/4, I suggest playing around with it and lower it by 4 to see if the stat stays the same (if I am making any sense at all). But, this is a nicer explanation and actually has a formula.



    As for this... from what I've heard Pokecheck sometimes gives you that special ribbon. Unless you know a way of not getting that ribbon (yes, there is a way), I suggest not even using it. But, you can't be guaranteed that the judges won't catch you. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    OK refering to the part at the bottom. You only get a Ribbon from taking a pokemon directly off the website by downloading it. Those do not pass hack check due to said ribbon. What I was refering to was downloading the Pkmn file (theres an option for that at the bottom) and uploading it to the one gts website (Not the mainn one, it's some other people made site). If you use the pkmn file on there then you can download the exact pokemon and without the ribbon.
    Last edited by Madden610; 2nd January 2012 at 7:09 PM.
    Smogon Battler and Proud of it!

    If you tick me off get ready for a battle challenge.

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL+KY, USA
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Why not just use the updated WiFi battles to see if it'll pass? From the sound of things "hack-mon" will be blocked along with anything else not VGC legal ::cough:: dark void ::cough::

    So I asked a while back about the gear guy rate and found out decent's can be competitive if raised, trained, and used right...now I have an issue of which mon should I take. Where should I post the options? here, on my RMT thread, or in one of the ask a question/_ rates threads?
    One of the Proud 25% that level up legally.

    Claimed: Top Gun Anthem (March '09)
    Banette 30 Sept '11

        Spoiler:- Brags:



    Top 3,000 2012 International WiFi
    Spring 2012 SE US Regionals: 1-7 TCG, 2-6 VGC (warstory coming soon)
    Found the Collo Bonus Disc @ GS
    PGL: FLPokemom

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kei Konguki
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Man, I'm disappointed. If those locations off of Smogon are accurate, then there'll be no Seattle, or Washington in general locations this year :[ Was really looking to bringing my friends this year XD;;
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Karen

        Spoiler:- CG Stuff:

  9. #209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemom View Post
    Why not just use the updated WiFi battles to see if it'll pass? From the sound of things "hack-mon" will be blocked along with anything else not VGC legal ::cough:: dark void ::cough::
    Completely hacked mons still work on randomwifi. Its definitely not a reliable hack check. I know you're not the one asking about it, but for anyone who would ask, if you don't know just don't use it. RNG abuse in Gen 5 is so insanely easy. Just RNG one yourself.
        Spoiler:- for example:


    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemom View Post
    So I asked a while back about the gear guy rate and found out decent's can be competitive if raised, trained, and used right...now I have an issue of which mon should I take. Where should I post the options? here, on my RMT thread, or in one of the ask a question/_ rates threads?
    I'd ask here. RMT threads are really for entire teams.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL+KY, USA
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Completely hacked mons still work on randomwifi. Its definitely not a reliable hack check. I know you're not the one asking about it, but for anyone who would ask, if you don't know just don't use it. RNG abuse in Gen 5 is so insanely easy. Just RNG one yourself.

    I'd ask here. RMT threads are really for entire teams.
    I started doing the SR bit, myself..when the gear guy says Rel Sup or Outstanding and it has at least 1 perfect stat then it gets to stay (oversimplified)

    **Decision time, and I need help!

    Pair of baby Gastly slated to grow up into a VGC Gengar...
    -I could take just one, and need help deciding which, or I could breed them and hope for an even better baby (assuming I didn't goof my pedigrees).

    Assuming my math is right (O_o) the little spookies are:

    female, timid, alert, HP Dragon, IV=20/18-19/15/31/21/31
    male, timid, dozes, HP Bug, IV=31/20-21/18/21/26/7-8

    The male has lower SA and Speed, but is overall stronger AND gets HP Bug. If him then what would be the advisability of taking HP over something else (and which something would be dropped to do so)?

    Plan for VGC (copied from RMT, which is linked below):

    Gengar [?] Timid @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk

    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Energy Ball
    -Thunderbolt

    *Spooky Special Sweeper. EB weakens opponents SD and lays some hurt. SB gets STAB and FB covers Darks and Steels. Had Sludge Bomb in 4, but it's limited SE (STAB notwithstanding) resulted in a pull in favor of Tbolt which has better coverage and can help set up Hex if the effect triggers. SE against 9.

    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Pokemom; 7th January 2012 at 7:51 PM. Reason: proofread
    One of the Proud 25% that level up legally.

    Claimed: Top Gun Anthem (March '09)
    Banette 30 Sept '11

        Spoiler:- Brags:



    Top 3,000 2012 International WiFi
    Spring 2012 SE US Regionals: 1-7 TCG, 2-6 VGC (warstory coming soon)
    Found the Collo Bonus Disc @ GS
    PGL: FLPokemom

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemom View Post
    I started doing the SR bit, myself..when the gear guy says Rel Sup or Outstanding and it has at least 1 perfect stat then it gets to stay (oversimplified)

    **Decision time, and I need help!

    Pair of baby Gastly slated to grow up into a VGC Gengar...
    -I could take just one, and need help deciding which, or I could breed them and hope for an even better baby (assuming I didn't goof my pedigrees).

    Assuming my math is right (O_o) the little spookies are:

    female, timid, alert, HP Dragon, IV=20/18-19/15/31/21/31
    male, timid, dozes, HP Bug, IV=31/20-21/18/21/26/7-8

    The male has lower SA and Speed, but is overall stronger AND gets HP Bug. If him then what would be the advisability of taking HP over something else (and which something would be dropped to do so)?

    Plan for VGC (copied from RMT, which is linked below):

    Gengar [?] Timid @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk

    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Energy Ball
    -Thunderbolt

    *Spooky Special Sweeper. EB weakens opponents SD and lays some hurt. SB gets STAB and FB covers Darks and Steels. Had Sludge Bomb in 4, but it's limited SE (STAB notwithstanding) resulted in a pull in favor of Tbolt which has better coverage and can help crank Rhyperior, if needed set up Hex if the effect triggers. SE against 9.

    Thanks in advance!
    *groan* Fine. Take the Ghastly with higher speed. With pokemon like Gengar in VGCs, speed always kills. Better to max out your speed so you get the most out of your Timid nature. BTW, you'll be better off giving Gengar a Focus Sash than Black Sludge since all Gengar have frailness.
    3DS Friend Code: 2363-6123-7178

    "It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death."
    — Major Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell


    Banner by: Skiyomi
    Chapters created so far: 9
    The link is in th picture. Enjoy!

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL+KY, USA
    Posts
    238

    Default

    I might go modest on it...there's a chance I'll be facing Grafton Roll's spook if he comes to Athens and I might need the power boost.

    Went with Sludge for the HP restore...let someone try to steal my "lefties" and they'll be in for a nasty surprise

    edit: Quickie...

    got a jolly weavile at 11/29/30/14/31/15...keep or try again? It's going 252Spe/SA + 4HP

    edit2:

    Stallicute, 2 options...

    Serious 31/7/16/18/29/31, SA is a notch low, but the defenses are best of all three - for a wall that's probably better.
    modest at (median score) 23/28/23/16/26/16 (need to run it again, but close enough for now)

    was planning on Modest/Harvest with 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe...Should I go on woth the Serious and if so how to mod the EV's (if at all)?
    Last edited by Pokemom; 7th January 2012 at 5:20 AM.
    One of the Proud 25% that level up legally.

    Claimed: Top Gun Anthem (March '09)
    Banette 30 Sept '11

        Spoiler:- Brags:



    Top 3,000 2012 International WiFi
    Spring 2012 SE US Regionals: 1-7 TCG, 2-6 VGC (warstory coming soon)
    Found the Collo Bonus Disc @ GS
    PGL: FLPokemom

  13. #213

    Default

    Concerning the Gastly, that Timid 31 Spd is actually usable. His defense is so low, even with a 31 IV that He'll get 1HKO'd without a sash 99% of the time anyway. Speaking of which, I wouldn't presume to tell you what item to use, but if you use Black Sludge on Gengar, he'll only possibly get one use out of it. Assuming he's hit by something weak. The vast majority of physical moves will 1HKO that Gengar 100% of the time.

    Concerning Weavile, I'd definitely try again. No offense.

    Concerning the Exeggutor, considering that Serious doesn't boost anything I'd go with the modest one. Its HP, SDef, and Spd will be slightly lower, but its Def and SAtk will be higher. Plus you won't be outspeeding anything without Chlorophyll anyway. Concerning its EVs, if you're planning on stalling, i wouldn't put anything into speed. It could use the HP.

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL+KY, USA
    Posts
    238

    Default

    The 96EV in speed with 31 IV is the bare minimum needed to launch Sub which eggy needs to survive...

    With my serious egg that gives 72 @lvl 50 (or 144 @ 100), on the modest one with 16 IV it yields 65. Even with 252 EV's that modest egg can't get anywhere near it's sibling on speed.

    Calcs:

    EV 160HP/252SA/96Spe

    Yield Projected Stats at lvl 50:

    Modest 186/102/101/185/83/65
    Serious 190/92/98/186/84/72

    -If I have time later then I'll rebreed, but for now it looks like Serious makes the team. Eggy is largely situational; it started as a fun project here on the forum and wound up tickling my fancy enough to put it on the team.

    Now I was running some math last night and discovered that 140HP yields 188 on the Serious @lvl50. That gives me -47 (sub) and +47 (Sitrus) after 2 subs. Add 8 to get the single surviving point for VGC. IF I do that, where should I put the remaining 12 (14) EV's? Maybe SD?

    I wish I could find detailed Sitrus Berry mechanics :P


    edit: Will rebreed weavile, then...was already leaning that way, the main flaw is in the speed, right? Hopefully I can raise the HP while I'm at it...

    Gengar: filler-mon and largely situational...s/he'll likely wind up with Weavile.

    Leads are D'nite and Rhyperior.
    Last edited by Pokemom; 7th January 2012 at 7:48 PM.
    One of the Proud 25% that level up legally.

    Claimed: Top Gun Anthem (March '09)
    Banette 30 Sept '11

        Spoiler:- Brags:



    Top 3,000 2012 International WiFi
    Spring 2012 SE US Regionals: 1-7 TCG, 2-6 VGC (warstory coming soon)
    Found the Collo Bonus Disc @ GS
    PGL: FLPokemom

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madden610 View Post
    Words
    Well 1st is if you don't wanna get dq'd either rng or breed em yourself, or have someone else do that.(your on a pokemon website. Im pretty sure someone can help).

    Hey anybody here going to philly?
    Pokomanz achievements

    -Vgc 10, and11: top32, and top16
    -Autumn friendly: 2003 rating(9thplace)
    -Vgc2012 RI 6th place(5-1)

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL+KY, USA
    Posts
    238

    Default

    O_O was ranking my 'mon in my backup copy of SS (mainly looking for breeders for my VGC team) and came across this little lovely:

    female Swalot, lax, Outstanding, 31 in SA/DF...I remember catching this one as a gulpin...WOW! How viable would she be if I rebuilt my team?

    I also have a custom-bred flawless bagon that I've been working on (and that might be replacing D'nite). So many options, so little time O_O Now I know how PM366 must be feeling LOL

    edit ROFLMAO --Pikachu!

    specifically Surge's pikachu, Volty..she came up Rel Sup with 31 Spe, HP Ice, and she's Jolly ::dissolves into giggles:: her SD looks to be in the low teens, DF maybe 18-19, but the others are in the 20's (HP looks like 20 on the nose)....hmmm....what a kicker, eh?
    Last edited by Pokemom; 9th January 2012 at 5:45 AM.
    One of the Proud 25% that level up legally.

    Claimed: Top Gun Anthem (March '09)
    Banette 30 Sept '11

        Spoiler:- Brags:



    Top 3,000 2012 International WiFi
    Spring 2012 SE US Regionals: 1-7 TCG, 2-6 VGC (warstory coming soon)
    Found the Collo Bonus Disc @ GS
    PGL: FLPokemom

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    Anyone here going to Athens, Georgia this year? I'm going there.
    3DS Friend Code: 2363-6123-7178

    "It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death."
    — Major Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell


    Banner by: Skiyomi
    Chapters created so far: 9
    The link is in th picture. Enjoy!

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    55

    Default

    After a little bit of RNG'ing to get my team together and training I have my first 6 VGC ready pokemon for testing (I have 3 more still in training that may replace current members). If anyone want's to battle me over wifi and do some team testing pm me if interested.
    Smogon Battler and Proud of it!

    If you tick me off get ready for a battle challenge.

  19. #219
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Santiago, chile
    Posts
    41

    Default

    first time a vgc of pokemon in Chile , altough the first place didn't win a ticket for the world tournament but was sponsorship by nintendo and fun . my score was 6-2.

    i was so happy today, finally i could have a pokemon tournament official in my country

    Maybe the next year will be a representant of Chile in the world tournament because today was a succesfull event .

    btw , how judgeck if the pokemon are legal or not
    Last edited by Mavm; 17th January 2012 at 6:45 AM.
    My 3ds FC : 1821-9933-5703

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    496

    Default

    I've been putting together a couple of teams for VGC which I may well mix around. Just wanted peoples opinion on using the following as a combination?

    Drizzletoed - Perish Song, Shadow Tag Wobuffet, Blissey with Heal Pulse, Swift Swim Kingdra.
    Theory is use Toed to activate rain then use Perish Song, Wobuffet traps everyone with Shadow Tag. Next turn switch out Toed for Blissey and use Heal Pulse to keep Wob alive until opposition die . Then mop up other 2 with Kingdra

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chesnee
    Posts
    62

    Default

    I've always wanted to go to the vgc's but haven't had the chance. I also need somebody to help with team strategys -_-
    WHITE: 4083 4812 9433

    Pm me for Dream World Pokemon offers or for battles.

  22. #222
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Obscurity
    Posts
    287

    Default

    YES MISSOURI!!! So going to it, even if I can't participate I'll stay to watch lol

    R.I.P The Battling Academy, 11/6/11 - 04/03/12
    Memories Are The Only Things Which Are Truly Eternal

    3DS Friend Code: 1607-2324-6674
    IGN: Cal
    Friend Safari: Mighteyena, Cacturne, Liepard

  23. #223
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Giving out free VGC mons on request.

    Only 1 condition
    You only get one free Pokemon from me, and I won't nickname it.


    Also accepting battle request via pm.
    Smogon Battler and Proud of it!

    If you tick me off get ready for a battle challenge.

  24. #224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo32 View Post
    YES MISSOURI!!! So going to it, even if I can't participate I'll stay to watch lol
    :x

    the Chesterfield Missouri stop was like in November

    :x

    sorry

  25. #225
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Obscurity
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    :x

    the Chesterfield Missouri stop was like in November

    :x

    sorry
    No, the 2012 ones are in Crestwood

    R.I.P The Battling Academy, 11/6/11 - 04/03/12
    Memories Are The Only Things Which Are Truly Eternal

    3DS Friend Code: 1607-2324-6674
    IGN: Cal
    Friend Safari: Mighteyena, Cacturne, Liepard

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •