Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread: Check OP For News And Updates

Default Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread: Check OP For News And Updates

Introduction

Welcome to the VGC Discussion thread! This thread was created in order give us VGC players a separate, more organized place to discuss our significantly different metagame. Feel free to discuss ideas, metagame shifts, team builds, team help and anything pertaining to the VGC! This thread will also include the latest news on the VGC, so that everything you need for VGC will be streamlined. (:

What is VGC?

VGC is an acronym for Video Game Championships. The VGC is an official annual tournament season held by Pokemon Company International, and, by association, Nintendo. Trainers leave the comforts of their home to get together and battle. Prizes are given out to the winners of each tournament as well.

Spoiler:- Explanation of the VGC:

The Rules

The format for VGC is Double Battles, Flat Battle rules, level 50 all. The ruleset for this metagame are as follows:
    1. 4v4 Doubles
    2. Species Clause - A player cannot have two of the same Pokemon on a team.
    3. Item Clause - No two Pokemon on the same team can hold the same item.
    4. Self KO Clause - If the player’s final Pokémon used Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond, or Final Gambit, and both players’ final Pokémon are knocked out as a result, that player loses that game. If a player’s final Pokémon used Double-Edge, Volt Tackle, Flare Blitz, Take Down, Submission, Brave Bird, Wood Hammer, Head Charge, Head Smash, Struggle, or Wild Charge, or was holding Life Orb, and both players’ final Pokémon are knocked out as a result, that player wins that game.
    5. Pokémon Banlist - A team cannot have any of the following Pokémon: Arceus, Celebi, Darkrai, Deoxys, Dialga, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Jirachi, Kyogre, Kyurem, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Phione, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin, Victini, Zekrom, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect.
    6. Move Banlist - No Pokémon on a team may know any of the following moves: Dark Void, Sky Drop.
    7. No Unreleased Items - A player cannot use unreleased items. Currently Soul Dew and Pinch Berries. Example: Salac Berry and Custap Berry.
    8. (Currently) No Pokemon or Moves from Black 2 and White 2 - All Pokemon must be obtained from Black and White downwards; Pokemon requiring Black 2 and White 2 to be made are banned.

* Sometimes, the rules vary, as in 2010 when Ubers, such as Kyogre, were allowed to be used, and in 2011, when the Pokemon were restricted to Pokemon only found in the Black and White Pokedex, so it is wise to keep informed and updated (ideally, the current rules would be posted here).

How to Qualify for Worlds

1. Players Ranked in the Top 12 in North America based on Championship Points
    2. Players Ranked in the Top 16 in Europe based on Championship Points
    3. Players who have an invitation to the 2013 World Championships by placing 1st or 2nd at the 2012 World Championships
    4. Players who reach the Top 4 of the Last Chance Qualifier held on Friday, August 9th at the 2013 World Championships venue

Championship Points by Events
    There is no Best Finish Limit so you can participate in as many events as you want for as many Championship Points as you get. Please keep in mind that no Championship Points are awarded for lower placements unless the appropriate participation kicker is reached. For example, you will not receive any Championship Points for 17th unless the event has 128 players.

Global Battle Union Tournaments
    1st Place - 10 Points
    2-8th Place - 8 Points
    9-16th Place - 4 Points
    17-64th Place - 2 Points
    65-128th Place - 1 Point

Regional Championships
    1st Place - 120 Points
    2nd Place - 110 Points
    3-4th Place - 90 Points
    5-8th Place - 70 Points
    9-12th Place - 50 Points
    13-16th Place - 40 Points
    17-32th Place - 20 Points
    33-64th Place - 10 Points

National Championships
    1st Place - 400 Points
    2nd Place - 300 Points
    3-4th Place - 250 Points
    5-8th Place - 110 Points
    9-12th Place - 80 Points
    13-16th Place - 60 Points
    17-32th Place - 40 Points
    33-64th Place - 30 Points
    65-128th Place - 10 Points

Regional Byes
    Players with at least 4 Championship Points — a Top 16 finish in an official GBU Tournament or any CP finish at a previous Regional Championship — will receive a first round bye at their Regional Championship.

Recent News

Catch your latest news on the VGC here!
    • Abram Burrow's Cloyster will be distributed at Regionals.

Cloyster @ Choice Scarf
      Trait: Skill Link
      IVs: 31 HP / 31 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 31 SDef / 31 Spd
      Naughty Nature (+Atk, – SDef)
      - Icicle Spear
      - Rock Blast
      - Hidden Power [Grass]
      - Razor Shell
    • Winter Regionals will take place on January 20th!
    • Registration for the Internation Challenge Wi-Fi Tournament will begin on January 17th. The actual tournament will begin on January 25th to 28th.
    • VGC '13 European Events in May and June have been announced

Spoiler:- Older News, in case you missed it and are interested:
        Spoiler:- Older News, in case you missed it and are interested:

Upcoming Tournaments
    The VGC 2013 Season is soon approaching. Unsure where to look for the nearest VGC near you? Got you covered.

Winter Regionals: January 20th, 2013
    - Florida (Lake Buena Vista - Royal Plaza)
    - Missouri (St. Louis area, Unconfirmed)
    - Oregon (Salem - The Pavillon at Oregon State Fair and Expo)
    - Virgina (Sandston - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Richmond Airport)
    - Souther California

Spring Regionals: April 14th, 2013
    - British Columbia (Vancouver area)
    - Georgia (Athens - Classic Center)
    - Massachusetts (Foxborough - Gillette Center)
    - Wisconsin (Madison)
    - Utah (Salt Lake City)

VGC Rate My Teams
    As you know, teamwork is the most important part of Pokemon battling. However, that philosophy is not limited to just the Pokemon on your tea; you also will probably need the help of your fellow trainers as well! This section was created so that if you need some help with your team, you have a place streamlining it. If you want to help others, also streamlined. If you need ideas, then they are, once again, streamlined into one place.

2013 Pokemon World Championships
    Where next year's World Champions are going to be held!

Date: August 9th-11th
    Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada (East Facility of the Vancouver Convention Centre inside Canada Place)

2012 Pokemon World Championships Coverage
    Unable to attend Worlds 2012 in Kona, Hawaii? That's ok; we've got as much coverage from it right here!

The Official 2012 Pokemon World Championships Website
    Wolfe Glick and Friends (Gamespot Interview)
    Natalie Kapszak (Gamespot Interview)
    Gavin Michaels (Gamespot Interview)
    Aaron Zheng & Huy Ha (Gamespot Interview)
    Gamespot Semi-Finals Stream
    Gamespot TCG Stream. Starts at 4 hours and 45 minutes.
    Gamespot VGC Stream and Closing Ceremony. Starts Automatically. Ray Rizzo vs. Wolfe Glick.
    Battle Videos from the 2012 Pokémon World Championships (Credit to Nugget Bridge for compiling all these videos.)
    The Closing Ceremony (Official Site)
    Pokemon World Championship 2012 Montage (Gamespot)
    Last Look at the World Championships (Official Site)

Useful Links for Training, Raising, and Battling Pokemon
    New to VGC-Style battles? Need some references for your team? Or maybe you just want to brush up on your skills? These links will be extremely helpful then!

Introduction to Competitive Pokemon
    Introduction to Doubles Mechanics
    Serebii.net Pokedex
    Smogon University Pokemon Analyses for VGC
    Bulbapedia Egg Groups
    IV and Personality
    5th Gen RNG
    EV Training Guide
    Another EV Training Guide
    Moveset Calculator
    Damage Calculator
    Speed Tiers for VGC 2012
    The Autumn Friendly Thread

VGC Related Websites

Nugget Bridge: Dedicated VGC Website and Forum
    Introduction to VGC
    Official Play! Pokemon Website
    The Lava Pool: A VGC Dedicated Podcast

Anything else you guys think should be added to the OP? Let me know!
    Last edited by Ragnarok; 21st July 2013 at 4:33 AM.

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

Something tells me that Weather teams, except for sun, are going to be so popular at the 2012 VGCs. I've been preparing my team for this exact moment. This is the only time I ever get to go against people in person aside from the occassional random run-in. If you want to see my team, click here -> http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=540622

Hey Aroma, Shane, Sena or Lori, if you see this can you sticky this thread and De-Sticky the old one?

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Something tells me that Weather teams, except for sun, are going to be so popular at the 2012 VGCs. I've been preparing my team for this exact moment. This is the only time I ever get to go against people in person aside from the occassional random run-in. If you want to see my team, click here -> http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=540622
    Idunno man. Everyone disses sun, but it got me to Worlds in 09 and 10, and it's working just fine for me now.

Isn't VGC 2012 like, 8 months away?

I remember seeing that the rules are back to "normal". No ubers, Pokemon from all gens are allowed and standard rules besides that. Maybe I'll take part in this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Isn't VGC 2012 like, 8 months away?

I remember seeing that the rules are back to "normal". No ubers, Pokemon from all gens are allowed and standard rules besides that. Maybe I'll take part in this one!
    The first sets in November, then the second sets in April

Quote Originally Posted by pkmner View Post
    The first sets in November, then the second sets in April
    I really hope that they have a Regionals event near North Carolina. The only thing that could possibly keep me from going to this tournament right now is the cost of gas, tires, and a hotel room. Money. What can you do when IT is the problem?

I really hope that they have a Regionals event near North Carolina. The only thing that could possibly keep me from going to this tournament right now is the cost of gas, tires, and a hotel room. Money. What can you do when IT is the problem?
    Mooch off of someone

Quote Originally Posted by pkmner View Post
    Mooch off of someone
    I am not a mooch; and besides, if I really want to go, I'll be willing to work for it one way or another. I'm asking my parents, but they're concerned about the debt I'll be ringing up with college. I want to go, but not if it means that they will end up in the "poor house". I don't care about just myself, you know. If someone I know happens to be going to this tournament, however, I'll travel with them. What sort of team do you plan on using if you're going. I'm going to use an anti-weather team that can use Sun since all the other weathers are so common. If you want to see it, go to the link below, but I've been thinking about switching from Togekiss to Gyarados in order to have a fail-safe. But seriously, I'm surprised that no people are posting any VGC teams even though the first Regional matches start in less than 2 months. I wonder if BlueCookies is going to use an anti-weather team or fall into the crowd with a rain/sandstorm team?

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=542398
    Last edited by PokeMaster366; 23rd September 2011 at 11:50 PM.

I'm pretty sure bluecookies is going to use troll teams till Worlds. As for finding rides / people to split rooms with, try skarmbliss, smogon, and #skarmbliss, and #smogonwifi. You'll find lots of VGC'ers there who you might be able to catch a ride with.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    I'm pretty sure bluecookies is going to use troll teams till Worlds. As for finding rides / people to split rooms with, try skarmbliss, smogon, and #skarmbliss, and #smogonwifi. You'll find lots of VGC'ers there who you might be able to catch a ride with.
    I'll probably be driving up from DE in April for the one in Philly.

I be on that Philly ****

So, any confirmed locations in the Bay Area this year?

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

Whoa. Just whoa. It's been a long time since they've had a VGC even remotely close to where I live. The last time I went to one was for 10th anniversary where all I used was my level 100 Charizard. I hope that I still qualify for Juniors, because I could go a lot farther. I think this might be the year when I have to make the jump, though. Still, my in-game team isn't going to cut it. I haven't even beaten Alder yet.

Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

Here's my prediction.
    A lot of people are going to come with random favorite pokemon and only 1 or 2 will make it past prelims. Many of the players that will win an invite to Nationals or Worlds will be using weather teams, the majority being Rain and Sandstorm. Sun is going to be overlooked b/c it's hard to set up against other weather teams when Drought is used. The true purpose of sun is to mess up all other weathers, so a Prankster pokemon like Whimsicott and Murkrow will do well, but the Cotton Ball will stand out b/c of his work in the past w/ Terrakion. I'll bet good money that BlueCookies will be using a Prankster Whimsicott that knows Sunny Day while the team itself isn't heavily reliant on Sun. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

Here's my prediction.
    A lot of people are going to come with random favorite pokemon and only 1 or 2 will make it past prelims. Many of the players that will win an invite to Nationals or Worlds will be using weather teams, the majority being Rain and Sandstorm. Sun is going to be overlooked b/c it's hard to set up against other weather teams when Drought is used. The true purpose of sun is to mess up all other weathers, so a Prankster pokemon like Whimsicott and Murkrow will do well, but the Cotton Ball will stand out b/c of his work in the past w/ Terrakion. I'll bet good money that BlueCookies will be using a Prankster Whimsicott that knows Sunny Day while the team itself isn't heavily reliant on Sun. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.
    pstt Top 16 get invites to Nats in Indy or Toronto

Quick question. In Soul Silver, when you're looking for Latios, is his nature set when you first encounter him, or when you first hear about it from Steven? I've been thinking about getting one for the upcoming VGCs to replace Eelektross.

I can't recall which is which in which game because I have both and have RNG'd them several times, but there are two ways to get them. One is strictly ingame, and is where you exit the Fan Club house, talk to Stephen, and then Lati@s roams Kanto. The other is from the Soul Dew event (mysterious rock, or something), where you give it to Stephen in Pewter City and Lati@s stands there in the middle of town.

If you're talking about the ingame Lati@s, its nature and IVs are set the moment you walk out of the Fan Club house and Stephen talks to you. If you want to reset for it you can either save before you enter the Fan Club, or while inside even.

If you're talking about the Soul Dew event Lati@s, its nature and IVs are set the moment you walk up to it and engage it in battle, like most other mons. You can just save anytime after it appears and still reset for whatever you want.

However, those are two pretty easy mons to RNG. I'd personally suggest you try RNGing them for faster and better results than just resetting.

Or (lol) just play in the skarmbliss tourneys and get one of mine for free.
    Latios (381)

and
    Latias (380)

both Timid and Modest
    31/3/31/30/30/31 (HP Ground 70)

Plus I have two shiny, Timid HP Grass 70 ones. Too lazy to find a shiny animated sprite. :P

I can't recall which is which in which game because I have both and have RNG'd them several times, but there are two ways to get them. One is strictly ingame, and is where you exit the Fan Club house, talk to Stephen, and then Lati@s roams Kanto. The other is from the Soul Dew event (mysterious rock, or something), where you give it to Stephen in Pewter City and Lati@s stands there in the middle of town.

If you're talking about the ingame Lati@s, its nature and IVs are set the moment you walk out of the Fan Club house and Stephen talks to you. If you want to reset for it you can either save before you enter the Fan Club, or while inside even.

If you're talking about the Soul Dew event Lati@s, its nature and IVs are set the moment you walk up to it and engage it in battle, like most other mons. You can just save anytime after it appears and still reset for whatever you want.

However, those are two pretty easy mons to RNG. I'd personally suggest you try RNGing them for faster and better results than just resetting.

Or (lol) just play in the skarmbliss tourneys and get one of mine for free.
    Latios (381)

and
    Latias (380)

both Timid and Modest
    31/3/31/30/30/31 (HP Ground 70)

Plus I have two shiny, Timid HP Grass 70 ones. Too lazy to find a shiny animated sprite. :P
    Can I trade you for a Timid Latios like the one you just posted, or is it not for sale? I was thinking about getting on for the VGCs, and I am so glad they are going to be held in Virginia, but also not glad that I can't get Wi-Fi for my DS at my college and that the Virginia regionals start on November.

All I know is that on rain teams there will be the following:
    Politoed
    Kingdra
    Ludicolo
    Kabutops
    Toxicroak
    Scizor
    Wash Rotom
    they are seen on every rain team so I'm gong to use an anti-weather team
    Ferrothorn (my politoed check)
    Latios (to handle toxicroak)
    Quagsire (to wear down scizor)
    Thunderus (my taunter for any setups)
    Whimsicott (to mess up rain with sun and spell trouble)
    Machamp (hurt tyranitar, ninetales, abomosnow)
    Might think about amoonguss since he rage powders

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    All I know is that on rain teams there will be the following:
    Politoed
    Kingdra
    Ludicolo
    Kabutops
    Toxicroak
    Scizor
    Wash Rotom
    they are seen on every rain team so I'm gong to use an anti-weather team
    Ferrothorn (my politoed check)
    Latios (to handle toxicroak)
    Quagsire (to wear down scizor)
    Thunderus (my taunter for any setups)
    Whimsicott (to mess up rain with sun and spell trouble)
    Machamp (hurt tyranitar, ninetales, abomosnow)
    Might think about amoonguss since he rage powders
    Might want to fit Wide Guard into that team. Kingdra w/ Muddy Water and Excadrill w/ EQ are common in doubles, and please don't get me started on Blizzard Spams.

There are many other drizzle pokemon. Those are generic. Theres still tornadus who can set up tailwind mad hurricane away. Not to mention amoonguss gets his fire weakness cut, but this year will be the year of weather, andi agree with mattj sun doesnt get any love.

Can I trade you for a Timid Latios like the one you just posted, or is it not for sale? I was thinking about getting on for the VGCs, and I am so glad they are going to be held in Virginia, but also not glad that I can't get Wi-Fi for my DS at my college and that the Virginia regionals start on November.
    Oh, I don't like, trade anymore. I give away pokemon as prizes for participation in the weekly skarmbliss live tourneys. We hold a live Wifi tournament with VGC '12 rules every Saturday morning. More info HERE. That thread's kind of outdated. I'll *hopefully* be posting a new one for the '12 season with all my mons from all gens this coming weekend. It's a lot of work. Long story short, you play to earn points that you can use to "buy" whatever pokemon I have to offer (hundreds of RNGs). If you don't have an amazing team to begin with that's not a problem. Just show up and play in the tourney with whatever you have. You don't have to win first to get points. Everyone gets something. You just get more if you do better.
    Last edited by mattj; 25th September 2011 at 7:13 PM.

That's cool. I might participate at those tournaments (if only for the prizes) if I can find some free time to do so. I would like to play VGC in a way that doesn't involve driving 400 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    That's cool. I might participate at those tournaments (if only for the prizes) if I can find some free time to do so. I would like to play VGC in a way that doesn't involve driving 400 miles.
    Same here. Distance is a HUGE factor for me...especially when the closest city that has events is already 250 miles from where I live.
    I'm usually on the lookout for a battle. Unfortunately at the time, they'll have to be flat though. XD On another note though, I'm fairly easy going, and I came to enjoy myself with the game series, not fret.

Tracking down Evolutionary stones *namely Fire, Dusk, Thunder* alon9g with Razor Claws
    White FC- 5329-0304-2772

I need to draw the other legendaries...

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast