Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread: Check OP For News And Updates
Welcome to the VGC Discussion thread! This thread was created in order give us VGC players a separate, more organized place to discuss our significantly different metagame. Feel free to discuss ideas, metagame shifts, team builds, team help and anything pertaining to the VGC! This thread will also include the latest news on the VGC, so that everything you need for VGC will be streamlined. (:
What is VGC?
VGC is an acronym for Video Game Championships. The VGC is an official annual tournament season held by Pokemon Company International, and, by association, Nintendo. Trainers leave the comforts of their home to get together and battle. Prizes are given out to the winners of each tournament as well.
Spoiler:- Explanation of the VGC:
The World Championships take place every year, for about 6 years now. They are annual, and are actually always announced on the official Pokemon site.*
There are three types of tournaments; Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds. Regionals have recently gone for 2 tournaments; both taking place in specific regions of the United States (or whatever country you live in). Again, this can be found on the official site. Participating in this is not required, though you get some benefits if you win at Nationals.
Nationals is a tournament held once, usually in Indiana for the U.S. You do not have to play at Regionals to play here, but you have to do well in this one in order to get to Worlds.
Worlds is the final tournament. It's like the Superbowl for Pokemon. All the trainers who qualified at Nationals/have an invitation from all around the world gather together in a location announced by Pokemon Company International and battle for the title of World Champion.
There are three divisions in which players can compete in: Junior, Senior, and Masters. Junior division is for participants born in 2001 or later; Seniors born between 1997 and 2000; and Masters, born 1996 or earlier.
The format for VGC is Double Battles, Flat Battle rules, level 50 all. The ruleset for this metagame are as follows:
1. 4v4 Doubles
2. Species Clause - A player cannot have two of the same Pokemon on a team.
3. Item Clause - No two Pokemon on the same team can hold the same item.
4. Self KO Clause - If the player’s final Pokémon used Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond, or Final Gambit, and both players’ final Pokémon are knocked out as a result, that player loses that game. If a player’s final Pokémon used Double-Edge, Volt Tackle, Flare Blitz, Take Down, Submission, Brave Bird, Wood Hammer, Head Charge, Head Smash, Struggle, or Wild Charge, or was holding Life Orb, and both players’ final Pokémon are knocked out as a result, that player wins that game.
5. Pokémon Banlist - A team cannot have any of the following Pokémon: Arceus, Celebi, Darkrai, Deoxys, Dialga, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Jirachi, Kyogre, Kyurem, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Phione, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin, Victini, Zekrom, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect.
6. Move Banlist - No Pokémon on a team may know any of the following moves: Dark Void, Sky Drop.
7. No Unreleased Items - A player cannot use unreleased items. Currently Soul Dew and Pinch Berries. Example: Salac Berry and Custap Berry.
8. (Currently) No Pokemon or Moves from Black 2 and White 2 - All Pokemon must be obtained from Black and White downwards; Pokemon requiring Black 2 and White 2 to be made are banned.
* Sometimes, the rules vary, as in 2010 when Ubers, such as Kyogre, were allowed to be used, and in 2011, when the Pokemon were restricted to Pokemon only found in the Black and White Pokedex, so it is wise to keep informed and updated (ideally, the current rules would be posted here).
How to Qualify for Worlds
1. Players Ranked in the Top 12 in North America based on Championship Points
2. Players Ranked in the Top 16 in Europe based on Championship Points
3. Players who have an invitation to the 2013 World Championships by placing 1st or 2nd at the 2012 World Championships
4. Players who reach the Top 4 of the Last Chance Qualifier held on Friday, August 9th at the 2013 World Championships venue
Championship Points by Events There is no Best Finish Limit so you can participate in as many events as you want for as many Championship Points as you get. Please keep in mind that no Championship Points are awarded for lower placements unless the appropriate participation kicker is reached. For example, you will not receive any Championship Points for 17th unless the event has 128 players.
Global Battle Union Tournaments
1st Place - 10 Points
2-8th Place - 8 Points
9-16th Place - 4 Points
17-64th Place - 2 Points
65-128th Place - 1 Point
1st Place - 120 Points
2nd Place - 110 Points
3-4th Place - 90 Points
5-8th Place - 70 Points
9-12th Place - 50 Points
13-16th Place - 40 Points
17-32th Place - 20 Points
33-64th Place - 10 Points
1st Place - 400 Points
2nd Place - 300 Points
3-4th Place - 250 Points
5-8th Place - 110 Points
9-12th Place - 80 Points
13-16th Place - 60 Points
17-32th Place - 40 Points
33-64th Place - 30 Points
65-128th Place - 10 Points
Players with at least 4 Championship Points — a Top 16 finish in an official GBU Tournament or any CP finish at a previous Regional Championship — will receive a first round bye at their Regional Championship.
Catch your latest news on the VGC here!
Abram Burrow's Cloyster will be distributed at Regionals.
Cloyster @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Skill Link
IVs: 31 HP / 31 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 31 SDef / 31 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, – SDef)
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Razor Shell
Winter Regionals will take place on January 20th!
Registration for the Internation Challenge Wi-Fi Tournament will begin on January 17th. The actual tournament will begin on January 25th to 28th.
Spoiler:- Older News, in case you missed it and are interested:
The Autumn Friendly is officially over! Rankings to be announced soon.
Regarding Black and White and Black 2 and White 2 cartridges for use at Regionals:
“The upcoming Fall Regionals will not allow Black and White 2 moves, move sets or cartridges. However, future Regionals will be Black and White 2 exclusive. Please continue to check www.pokemon.com, for news and announcements.”
As for the Wi-Fi Tournaments, as well as Regionals:
TPCi has also announced changes to the European circuit.
“The international event schedule also has some changes worth mentioning. To align the international event series with North American events, the schedule will be trimmed slightly, giving players the opportunity to play in three separate events in the Spring.
“There will be two Preliminary events that will lead to a World Championships Qualifier event. These events will be open to all players in good standing. As with the North American series, there will be incentives offered to top-ranked players in GBU Wi-Fi tournaments across all three age divisions.”
Spoiler:- Older News, in case you missed it and are interested:
[LIST][*]The next, VGC Style Wi-Fi tournament called the Autumn Friendly. This tournament will be open to all players with Pokémon Black & White. Registration opens at 00:00 UTC on Thursday September 6th and ends at 23:59 on Thursday September 13th. The tournament itself runs from September 14th through to September 17th. There are 50,000 spots available within this tournament. If you plan on entering, just click here! Let the community know, so we can all talk!
Upcoming Tournaments The VGC 2013 Season is soon approaching. Unsure where to look for the nearest VGC near you? Got you covered.
Winter Regionals: January 20th, 2013
- Florida (Lake Buena Vista - Royal Plaza)
- Missouri (St. Louis area, Unconfirmed)
- Oregon (Salem - The Pavillon at Oregon State Fair and Expo)
- Virgina (Sandston - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Richmond Airport)
- Souther California
Spring Regionals: April 14th, 2013
- British Columbia (Vancouver area)
- Georgia (Athens - Classic Center)
- Massachusetts (Foxborough - Gillette Center)
- Wisconsin (Madison)
- Utah (Salt Lake City)
VGC Rate My Teams As you know, teamwork is the most important part of Pokemon battling. However, that philosophy is not limited to just the Pokemon on your tea; you also will probably need the help of your fellow trainers as well! This section was created so that if you need some help with your team, you have a place streamlining it. If you want to help others, also streamlined. If you need ideas, then they are, once again, streamlined into one place.
Useful Links for Training, Raising, and Battling Pokemon New to VGC-Style battles? Need some references for your team? Or maybe you just want to brush up on your skills? These links will be extremely helpful then!
Anything else you guys think should be added to the OP? Let me know!
Last edited by Ragnarok; 21st July 2013 at 3:33 AM.
Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show! EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!! Released: 12/11/14