Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread: Check OP For News And Updates

Is it true that you can use any gen Pokemon in VGC12?
    I'm happy, but gutted at the same time. Just learned how to RNG in Gen V after getting owned at VGC11 (my ev'd mon obviously didn't have good iv's) so that I can put together a really competitive team, and now people who know how to RNG in the older gen's will have an advantage again
    I've looked at the older gen's to RNG but I'm really confused as to how to do it on gen IV so looks like I'll be getting knocked out early again.

Z-Pack: my shorthand for Zorua and Zoaroark

and it's not so bad of a team IMO, and ordinarily I wold say eff Bisharp, but that ONE in particular is scary. This is my first State+ comp since TCG 2001 so no confidence at all LOL just lots of hope...

Good news for me as if that Bisharp comes to play it's going to Virginia

If you're curious I have a preliminary listing under in game RMT, but the basic lineup is Gengar, Heat Rotom, D'nite, Exeggutor, Rhyperior, and Weavile...though Weavile may drop out for Lucario

edit: I don't RNG, though I do SR on stationaries. I also don't use items for directed breeding, except for nature. I'm not overly fond of being gimmicky and all that tweak this and hold that takes all the fun out of it for me. Though I am EV training for this as i would really like to survive at least the first round O_O
    Last edited by Pokemom; 12th October 2011 at 10:12 PM.
    One of the Proud 25% that level up legally.

Claimed: Top Gun Anthem (March '09)
    Banette 30 Sept '11

Spoiler:- Brags:

Top 3,000 2012 International WiFi
    Spring 2012 SE US Regionals: 1-7 TCG, 2-6 VGC (warstory coming soon)
    Found the Collo Bonus Disc @ GS
    PGL: FLPokemom

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemom View Post
    Z-Pack: my shorthand for Zorua and Zoaroark

and it's not so bad of a team IMO, and ordinarily I wold say eff Bisharp, but that ONE in particular is scary. This is my first State+ comp since TCG 2001 so no confidence at all LOL just lots of hope...

Good news for me as if that Bisharp comes to play it's going to Virginia

If you're curious I have a preliminary listing under in game RMT, but the basic lineup is Gengar, Heat Rotom, D'nite, Exeggutor, Rhyperior, and Weavile...though Weavile may drop out for Lucario

edit: I don't RNG, though I do SR on stationaries. I also don't use items for directed breeding, except for nature. I'm not overly fond of being gimmicky and all that tweak this and hold that takes all the fun out of it for me. Though I am EV training for this as i would really like to survive at least the first round O_O
    Honestly, with this team, I would be more worried about the Kingdras and Excadrills that are going to rape your team as if they were 18th century slaves. Might want 1 or 2 guys that can help against Rain and/or Sandstorm teams.
    3DS Friend Code: 2363-6123-7178

"It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death."
    — Major Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell

Chapters created so far: 9
    The link is in th picture. Enjoy!

here's my analysis of weather after 100+ practice battles:

rain:Is definitely the domimating weather once again. Im also not talking about that noobish toed+swift swimmers+ thunder spammer. I mean they have so many variants its not even funny. Even there surf spam teams are hard to counter with ludicolo at +1 from a absorb bulb, and toxicroak+scizor there for support.

Sandstorm: SS as it stands is pretty over-hyped. The best variation is probably sand trickroom. I guarantee you at vgc your gonna see cresselia, ttar, exca, and dragon cores, which is solid, but tooo easily counters.

Sun: This thing is so underated. I haven't got the chance to play it, but sun is the true anti-weathee. Not hail.... Hail is actually pretty common, in vgc terms. Here's why though sun is the true anti-weather
    -It weakens rain(obvious
    -tell me whats abamasnow gonna do facing a team centered around fire types
    -And now to ttar. Every Sun team must carry at least one clorophyll abuser and yea grass>rock, fire>steel.

Hail: and finally hail. People who think hail can be broken because of 100% blizzards are wrong. Heck if you use blizzard spam hail teams your pretty much asking to lose. Most successful hail teams only have abama use blizzard. Now the most effective way to play hail is trickroom. Also every hail team Must have:

2 fire resist mons(obvious)
    1 fighting type( has so much synergy with ice)
    -1 fighting beating mon(tornadus, reuniclus, faster psychics like alakazam, thunderus, jellicent, ghost types)

Do you think Hitmontop will see any good usage in this year's VGCs? I've been thinking about raising one, and this was how it was going to play out.
    Support Top
    Hitmontop @ ?
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    Moves:
    • Close Combat
    • Fake Out
    • Feint
    • Wide Guard/Mach Punch/Helping Hand

The idea was to let Hitmontop support the team a lot. With both cases involving a rain boost, Hitmontop has enough health and defense to survive a Muddy Water from your average Kingdra and Hydro Pump from your average Politoed. Wide Guard is very appreciated against Hail teams and common spread moves, but with the other moves he has, there wouldn't be much of a point to it. I would have given him Mach Punch myself, but I forgot to withdraw the Hitmonchan after it leveled up in the Day-Care and I don't feel like making another one.

Warning: The Hitmontop noted above is designed for usage in Trick Room teams.

Yeah, item should be sitrus/coba berry, you need protect > mach punch for last slot if using intimidate, and Sucker Punch is usually preferred over Feint, tho i guess it can work

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Feint is one of the greatest moves in the game. Especially on Technician Hitmontop.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster123 View Post
    Yeah, item should be sitrus/coba berry, you need protect > mach punch for last slot if using intimidate, and Sucker Punch is usually preferred over Feint, tho i guess it can work
    I've tried with Sucker Punch, but it is to predictable to be of any good use, which is why I chose Feint instead. I was planning on giving him a Fighting Gem so he can crush Tyranitars with Chople Berries (which are practically always present).

Yes! There's one in Long Beach, CA! Machamp and Articuno with sheer cold say hi.

^Credit to Pyroecstacy^

Bible Verse of the Week(or like 2 years ago is how old this one is): Romans 5:1
    Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ

White FC: 0647-5803-1668

Only 2 weeks left until they hold the Regional Events and I already got my team completed. Hope everybody is ready for this.

Hey can anyone here explain to me how Nintendo checks for hacked pokemon/games at official tornaments?

Basicly all I wana know is:

Can my game be perminately ruined by trading with someone who scammed me and gave me a hacked pokemon?

In otherwords:

1) If I trade online or via GTS with someone for a pokemon that i later find out is hacked, does this meen that I can't enter the official tornament even if I don't use this pokemon in the tornament or even if I release it from my box?

2) If I release the suspect pokemon (essentially deleting it) will I be illegible for entry or will my game be perminantely 'marked'?

The reason is: I worry I might have recieved a hacked pokemon and have thus perminately 'marked' my game making it imposible to enter in offical events...

Is this the case? And is there anyone who has attended a official event and knows exactly how Nintendo hack checks?

Thanks
    Jimmy

FC: 1893 0645 5375 (White)
    FC: 2794 5545 1040 (Platinum)
    FC: 2064 3350 7732 (SoulSilver)

Man, you guys that can go are so lucky. Living in Japan (and not knowing a word of Japanese *fail*) definitely puts a huge. Wall. To going to VGCs..

I'll probably still create a VGCs team anyways, just so I can still battle people. At those standards. I guess. @__@

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

Well its finally drawing near. Had my team for months in my box tweaking it and testing it. Gl to all Serebii'rs(err what the people call ppl of serebii). Also to add on anyone notice how amazing encore is?

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Do you think Hitmontop will see any good usage in this year's VGCs? I've been thinking about raising one, and this was how it was going to play out.
    Support Top
    Hitmontop @ ?
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    Moves:
    • Close Combat
    • Fake Out
    • Feint
    • Wide Guard/Mach Punch/Helping Hand

The idea was to let Hitmontop support the team a lot. With both cases involving a rain boost, Hitmontop has enough health and defense to survive a Muddy Water from your average Kingdra and Hydro Pump from your average Politoed. Wide Guard is very appreciated against Hail teams and common spread moves, but with the other moves he has, there wouldn't be much of a point to it. I would have given him Mach Punch myself, but I forgot to withdraw the Hitmonchan after it leveled up in the Day-Care and I don't feel like making another one.

Warning: The Hitmontop noted above is designed for usage in Trick Room teams.
    I know you said you had your team ready, but I just wanted to say 1 thing. If your goign technitop theres no reason not to have mach punch. While close combat is good, especially in TR it still hurts one of Tops strongest advantages - it's bulk. Personally I think Intimitop is alot better than technitop this year, great support for this physically dominated meta, covers at least one use of close combat against physical sweepers with the intimidate. And with eject button you can spam the intimidate as well.

Oh, and ill be at the Florida regional!!!
    Autumn Friendly Rank: 21st(1933) 75W-5L
    OT:Noxe
    ::My youtube channel!!!::
    Dear Professor Oak,
    Nerf Charmander -Bulbasaur
    P.S. Squirtle is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Noxe View Post
    NOXE GONNA WIN!!i

Who's Noxe? Also, I was at the VGCs for the Unova pokemon and I kept on hearing people talk about some guy called "Alaka".

Who in the world is this "Alaka" person, because no one has given me a proper explanation up to now.

Ahahaha Len. He's alaka on smogon. Very nice kid irl. Pro player. Makes it to worlds like its nothin. D:

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Ahahaha Len. He's alaka on smogon. Very nice kid irl. Pro player. Makes it to worlds like its nothin. D:
    I would ask if you know what he looks like, but it might be one of those "you'll know him when you see him" things. Why were you going on about how Noxe is going to win anyway. Who is "Noxe" exactly?

Noxe is a good friend of mine. He's a great pokemon player too. You'll have to watch out for him.

Oh, and about what people look like so you know them when you see them, check out the VGC photo thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxe View Post
    I know you said you had your team ready, but I just wanted to say 1 thing. If your goign technitop theres no reason not to have mach punch. While close combat is good, especially in TR it still hurts one of Tops strongest advantages - it's bulk. Personally I think Intimitop is alot better than technitop this year, great support for this physically dominated meta, covers at least one use of close combat against physical sweepers with the intimidate. And with eject button you can spam the intimidate as well.

Thanks for that advice. I'm going to try to make a TechniTop w/ Mach Punch.

@mattj

How did you do at VGCs last time you went to them?

I don't like to brag. :x

I've always done well.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    I don't like to brag. :x

I've always done well.
    I'm bad at battling period

BTW, if anyone sees a team with Jerry as the trainer name and a Roserade on that team, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    I would ask if you know what he looks like, but it might be one of those "you'll know him when you see him" things. Why were you going on about how Noxe is going to win anyway. Who is "Noxe" exactly?
    Ya sorry for bursting into the forums unexpectedly, I was super active a while back then rl hit. That is all behind me again and now I'm active again. And ya I was a competitive way back and then stopped after I joined the military. Then Matt helped me start back up in 2010.

At any rate, I look forward to many fun battles next week. Ill be coming hungry though, so look out for me. GL to all.
    Autumn Friendly Rank: 21st(1933) 75W-5L
    OT:Noxe
    ::My youtube channel!!!::
    Dear Professor Oak,
    Nerf Charmander -Bulbasaur
    P.S. Squirtle is fine

I would like to participate in the VGCs, but then I realized I suck at competitive battling.
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2yl39lh.png[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast